Treo600user's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 3:18 PM

U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

I am having trouble properly configuring this AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV modem for my network. Maybe someone is aware of a different firmware for this product?

I am completely aware of how to setup the DMZ mode & router behind router setup in these boxes but that is NOT the point. (We have supported firewalled networked equipment working that has all the bells & whistles including QoS)

In the event of a factory reset of the AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem at this business, I want to properly insure the following business requirements are met:

- DHCP - OFF (at min, it appears you must leave one available?)

- WiFi - OFF (Yes this can be turned off, but bridging it always insured it was turned off in the past. ON is a security concern among just bad business i.e. conflict with other business WiFi, employees might see/use this non-content filtered WiFi, etc etc)

- & passing off internet service needs to be easy to another networked supported OUTSIDE of AT&T firewall. (I'm NOT asking for AT&T support on this, but in the bridge DSL world, this was EASY)

- if bridging this 2Wire is NOT an option, backing up the configuration settings would be a nice alternative but that is not available as well?

Bridging the old DSL modems always worked nicely but the 2Wire 3XXXHGV line appears to be the ONLY ones to support the AT&T VDSL Max Turbo speeds. 24Mbps down / 3 Mbps up which we use not only for normal business operations (credit cards, business email, web based training, etc) but this high speed is required to view onsite security video (3Mbps up) and offer customers FAST free WiFi!

AT&T U-Verse offers the right price, contract, speed, internet package & installers to properly handle our resturant locations company's data needs but I'm struggling with the their "business" support of this 2Wire VDSL modem product. We ONLY use the internet, no TV (not legally available for restaurants, yet). No Voip because POTS is our reliable backup. So it's just the internet service ...

For coverage on AT&T Uverse, we have over 50 locations lit up like a Christmas tree but sadly business support on this product is driving me nutz! Maybe because I now see this is listed under "Residential Gateway"? Is this AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem product not meant for business? Is anyone aware of another supported AT&T VDSL modem or a different 2Wire firmware available? Official AT&T support has me running in circles (AT&T U-verse support > AT&T Connecttech > AT&T Connecttech360 > AT&T U-verse support, rinse, repeat)  

help?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

10 years ago

If the WD MyCloud requires UPnP to operate, then yes, you need a second router, set up in accordance with post #2 in this thread, that supports UPnP, for it to work.

Mentor

• 

41 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you so much for your help.  Can you possibly help in another area. 

I set my my ASUS RT-N56U router as a AP via your instructions and it appears to be working ok.  Thank you so much for the article. 

The problem I'm having now is I can't get my wireless devices like Iphone and Ipad to recognize my wireless network printers using airprint.  I have two HP all in one printers and they are seen on the network but not on the wireless devices connected to the AP.  I set up my 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks with seperate names and passwords.  The were both working on Airprint at one time but aren't now and I can't figure out why?  The ipad and iphone are connecting to the router internet just fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Bill

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

10 years ago

I'm unfamiliar with the Asus RT-N56U router, but check its configuration and see if you have something called "wireless isolation" turned on. If so, turn it off. More routers are coming with this feature, it's a setting that prevents different wireless clients from talking to each other.

If you can't find that option, see if you can find any option that would prevent wireless clients from talking to other wireless clients, or a setting that would prevent clients connected via the two different wireless radios (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) from talking to each other.

Mentor

• 

41 Messages

10 years ago

I checked and wireless isolation is turned off on both 2.4 and 5GHz networks.  Could having different  names and passwords be causing the issue?  I've been told they should be seperate?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

10 years ago

I do not know if different SSID names and passwords would cause that, but an easy way to find out would be to set the 5GHz radio to the same settings as the 2.4GHz radio and see what happens.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I'm getting a message stating error when I try to set up device as a DMZ. There is already another device (alarm pannel) set up. Can there be more than one DMZ attached to RG?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

10 years ago

@miketeel wrote:

I'm getting a message stating error when I try to set up device as a DMZ. There is already another device (alarm pannel) set up. Can there be more than one DMZ attached to RG?

No, not unless you have purchased a block of static IP addresses.

If your alarm panel is already set up as the DMZPlus device, then you would have to unconfigure it as the DMZPlus device before you could configure an Internet router as the DMZPlus device.  However, there is probably a very good reason that your alarm panel is already set up as the DMZPlus device, thus I would recommend you research and find out why the alarm panel is configured like that before you change it.  If you unconfigure it as the DMZPlus device, it is likely that some functionality with the alarm panel will stop working.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Joe,

I have a Netgear D6200 and just signed on with AT&T U-Verse. They installed a 5031NV modem. I would like to work through your post but I can't get the AT&T modem to even recognize my Netgear modem. When I connect the two routers, I plug the network cable into the Internet jack on the back of the D6200 and into one of the LAN connections on the back of the AT&T router, but when I look for the router from within the AT&T modem I can't find it.  I log into the AT&T modem and go to settings, firewall, applications, pinholes and DMZ, and I can't find the Netgear router. Any suggestions.

GS

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

10 years ago

Log into the NetGear D6200 router, and make sure the Internet connection type is set for DHCP. If it's set to something else, like PPPoE, then the D6200 will not request an address from the 5031NV, and then the 5031NV won't know it's there.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

when I'm selecting the dmzplus it gives me a error that a PC is already configured dmz remove this PC config and reboot it first

help?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.