Treo600user's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 3:18 PM

U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

I am having trouble properly configuring this AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV modem for my network. Maybe someone is aware of a different firmware for this product?

I am completely aware of how to setup the DMZ mode & router behind router setup in these boxes but that is NOT the point. (We have supported firewalled networked equipment working that has all the bells & whistles including QoS)

In the event of a factory reset of the AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem at this business, I want to properly insure the following business requirements are met:

- DHCP - OFF (at min, it appears you must leave one available?)

- WiFi - OFF (Yes this can be turned off, but bridging it always insured it was turned off in the past. ON is a security concern among just bad business i.e. conflict with other business WiFi, employees might see/use this non-content filtered WiFi, etc etc)

- & passing off internet service needs to be easy to another networked supported OUTSIDE of AT&T firewall. (I'm NOT asking for AT&T support on this, but in the bridge DSL world, this was EASY)

- if bridging this 2Wire is NOT an option, backing up the configuration settings would be a nice alternative but that is not available as well?

Bridging the old DSL modems always worked nicely but the 2Wire 3XXXHGV line appears to be the ONLY ones to support the AT&T VDSL Max Turbo speeds. 24Mbps down / 3 Mbps up which we use not only for normal business operations (credit cards, business email, web based training, etc) but this high speed is required to view onsite security video (3Mbps up) and offer customers FAST free WiFi!

AT&T U-Verse offers the right price, contract, speed, internet package & installers to properly handle our resturant locations company's data needs but I'm struggling with the their "business" support of this 2Wire VDSL modem product. We ONLY use the internet, no TV (not legally available for restaurants, yet). No Voip because POTS is our reliable backup. So it's just the internet service ...

For coverage on AT&T Uverse, we have over 50 locations lit up like a Christmas tree but sadly business support on this product is driving me nutz! Maybe because I now see this is listed under "Residential Gateway"? Is this AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem product not meant for business? Is anyone aware of another supported AT&T VDSL modem or a different 2Wire firmware available? Official AT&T support has me running in circles (AT&T U-verse support > AT&T Connecttech > AT&T Connecttech360 > AT&T U-verse support, rinse, repeat)  

help?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

10 years ago

Pages that "start to load" and then don't usually is not a routing problem. That sounds more like either hardware issues (bad cabling or switch), or I have on occasion seen MTU issues cause that. However, MTU issues usually appear in tunnel environments or with other forms of encapsulation that either reduce the MTU or cause fragmentation or both. In your environment I'd be surprised if there was an MTU issue.

Try removing the switch from the equation and see what you get.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for the reply.

I know that that equipment is good because I replace them from an existing network. We were just upgrading our equipment, but decided to test this out in another environment. I did however remove the switch as you request. It had the same effect, pages just attempt to load until they time-out. Both tracert's and ping request from the client machine work perfectly. Could this be an ACL issue? with something to do with port 80 and 445? I also added the routes you requested with no luck as well. Any other ideas? Looking back on all the post I see that you have help a lot of other people, so I just wanted to say thank you for supporting all of us, either way if we get this resolved are not. It's nice to know that people out there are still willing to help out. You also mentioned cabling, the cables are good, but wanted to varify what type of cabling is needed a crossover or a straight through cable, I know that a router to router connection should be a crossover cable, does this apply here?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

10 years ago

The cabling probably does need to be a crossover in your case. 100 Mbps Ethernet interfaces are not auto-MDI/MDIX in many cases, and for sure the interfaces on the Cisco 2600 are not. Thus a crossover cable is probably required for U-Verse router -> Cisco router.

Gigabit interfaces do not generally need a crossover cable in any circumstance, because almost all gigabit ports are auto-MDI/MDIX.

It's concerning that pings are working and other traffic is not. I've gone over your router config a dozen times and I can't see anything wrong with it.

I wonder if you have a hardware problem with the 2600? Do you have a consumer router you could put in place of the 2600 temporarily to test?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I am trying to configure a 2nd router (WRT54G v5) to go behind the RG (3801HGV).

All I want to accomplish here is content (web url) filtering on the 2nd router, which would be connected via two ethernet cables to a Roku player and a Samsung smart TV.

So, in essence the 2nd router would also be acting as a switch as I have all my other devices (cpu's etc) filling out the LAN ports on the RG with some portforwarding/home networking in place.

The part of your directions (pg 1 of this thread) I am having issues with is:

8. Restart your router, when it gets an address via DHCP again, it will be the public outside IP address.  At this point, you can leave your router in DHCP mode (make sure the firewall on your router allows the DHCP renewal packets, which will occur every 10 minutes), or you can change your router's IP address assignment on the WAN interface to static, and use the same settings it received via DHCP.

I've already got Router 2 a DCHP add. outside the range, but I'm not sure where to configure the static WAN ip as Router 2 has dd-wrt installed and I'm not that familiar with the interface. Would I input these settings in "advanced routing" or "basic setup" ?  And what else needs to be filled out here in either? Screenshots for both menus below:

Screen shot 2013-10-13 at 8.22.38 PM.png

Screen shot 2013-10-13 at 8.22.38 PM.png

As a follow up question, Is it even possible to enable content filtering by url in the way I am attempting or should I consider a different configuration for Router 2? As a sidenote, I do not need Router 2 to serve any devices wirelessly. Screenshot below for Router 2 "access restrictions" menu:

Screen shot 2013-10-13 at 8.26.54 PM.png

Thanks so much in advance!

Sam

3 Attachments

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

10 years ago

san garvin,

If you want to use the content filtering feature of your router, you must use it as a full router, and set it up using the instructions in post 2. You cannot set it up just as an additional switch or wireless access point on the same subnet.

In your pictures (#1, #2, and #3) above:

#1: This is the advanced routing page, you do not need to set anything here.
#2: The Internet connection type should be Automatic/DHCP.
#3: Don't worry about this page until you get the routing working and set up properly. After that, then configure the Roku and smart TV MAC addresses here, and apply the restriction policy you want.

In addition, please see the following post that you will need to follow to permit DD-WRT to work properly in this configuration:

http://www.comprepairgurus.com/att-u-verse2wire-gateway-and-dd-wrt-router-in-dmz-mode/

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

This works. To finish installing my NetGear WND 83700 on top of the 2Wire:

I logged into the Netgear and clicked on the Advanced Tab.

In the left panel I selected "SetUp".

Then in the LAN setup, I unchecked "Use router as a DHCP Server" to get rid of the old DSL settings.

Works real well now. Thanks very much.

Explorer

• 

47 Messages

10 years ago

This is a superb thread with truly invaluable information. I have been following it for a year. SomeJoe7777 is the absolute best resource I have come across in this forum.

I want to address the series of messages between jphaus and SomeJoe7777 starting at post 443 and ending at 450 – specifically post 446 where SomeJoe7777 states:  “there are a few other people who have reported that they're using the 2Wire + another wireless access point together and are able to roam between them. However, I don't think anyone has reported that they're doing it with 2Wire + 2 additional WAPs.”  My info below may be of value in this regard.

I have a U-verse 3801 gateway being used for Internet only (no TV or VoIP). I have the wireless disabled on the 3801. I installed a Linksys EA4500 router downstream of the 3801 (LAN to LAN) following the steps outlined in post #13 here and it works very well as a WAP (dual band, wireless n) with better signal strength and range than the 3801 wireless g. However, I was still getting a weak signal at the far end of my L-shaped house and in order to improve that end I installed a Linksys PLW400, a powerline adaptor. Basically I have a pair of Linksys PLE400 wired units, one connects to a LAN port on the 3801 and plugs to an electrical outlet near the 3801, the other PLE is plugged to a different power outlet and then to my house internal Ethernet wiring. This networks my whole house across the power lines and also through my Ethernet wiring and it works very well (see my reviews of the PLE and PLW at Amazon). At the far end where I was getting the weak signal I then installed a PLW400. The PLW gets Ethernet from the power lines and then transmits as a WAP at that location (no routing or DHCP capability). I now get complete coverage throughout. As I mentioned I have the wireless turned off on the 3801. The EA4500 and the PLW400 are both set with the same SSID, encryption security, and key. The EA4500 is on channel 6 and the PLW400 is on channel 11. I also have the EA4500 transmitting on its 5 GHz band on channel 36 to connect some AV equipment.

The end result of this is that I have 2 different WAPs behind the 3801 (both connected to LAN ports on the 3801) and I am able to roam with my iPhones throughout the house with no problems whatsoever. When the signal deteriorates from level 3 the iPhones switch to the other WAP and reconnect at the higher strength and vice versa. So for whatever it is worth here is one instance of 2 WAPs behind a U-verse gateway working and roaming seamlessly.

As an aside, I would like to ask if anyone knows why AT&T is still using obsolete wireless g technology in their gateways. Other than one legacy computer, all my equipment uses wireless n, which has been the standard for years. Why is AT&T still stuck in the past? For my own installation (Houston, TX), the tech was given 3 refurbished 3800 units for 3 different jobs that day. Mercifully mine was the first of the day. The tech went through all 3 refurbs and all were defective (one had a loose screw inside). After a wasted hour and a half he had to call another tech to bring him a new 3801 to my great pleasure. The tech was great, the equipment was not.  Just wish that the 3801 was n instead of g. Comments from anyone? From AT&T?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Hi SomeJoe7777,

I don't usually post things, but I have a situation that requires an Expert. I have recently upgraded to ATT Uverse (3801HGV) from ATT DSL. The reason being is that I host 4 websites with email servers on a single computer and I wanted more bandwidth. I have 5 usable Static IP's (Public IP's) that I want to pass to my third party router to have control over my own firewall and IP translation into my Private Static IP's on my single computer server. I was told by Sales that this is no problem and also by several members on Tier 2 support.

I am into day 9 of trying to get this to work correctly. I have three internet businesses and a lot of angry customers because of this. My current configuration consists of a switch connected to port one of the modem passing the first IP address of the Static (Public) IP block. The single computer nic card has the 4 Static (Public) IP's on it. The modem is set to pass ports 25,110, 80 and 53 on that connection. It works, but not correctly. Some emails are not working and some people can't see the

site(s).

The ATT Uverse modem is not for business and the support is terrible for business. I have spent over 8 hours on the phone with multiple tier 2 support people and most of them do not have a clue. However they were all polite and courteous.

The way I see it is the only way you can pass the whole static ip block is you would have to have 4 routers and 4 nic cards in the single computer that host the 4 websites and email servers or 4 separate computers. The reason is, the ATT Uverse modem is NOT BRIDGEABLE on multiple Static IP's. The ATT Uverse modem requires a DHCP connection and a UNIQUE MAC ADDRESS for each Static IP.

I am currently looking for a router that could create virtual mac addresses so I don have to buy 4 to make it work.

As you can tell, I am quite frustrated and am worried about losing my customers. Tommorrow is Monday and I still don't have a solid answer. If you have another solution, Please let me know ASAP.

P.S.

Another thing if your a business owner and you have your own email server you will need to call them to have ATT UNBLOCK PORT 25 or it won't work.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

10 years ago

courierguy58,

You are running into two limitations of the 2Wire routers:

1. The 2Wire routers enforce a 1-to-1 relationship between IP addresses and MAC addresses, thus multihomed network cards are not supported.  This is the main problem with your setup, as you've placed 4 IP addresses on one network card.

2. The 2Wire routers used to have no capability to insert a static route for the static IP addresses, thus the static IP addresses could not be used behind another router.  This limitation has been removed in the latest firmware, and will be the method that we use to solve your problem.

Please take a look at using the Cascaded Router option in the 2Wire firmware to route your static IP addresses to your own router, and then use your static IP addresses on your server, which will then be behind your router.  This will allow you to have a multihomed server.

Please take a look at the following post for a description I gave someone of how the Cascaded Router option should be used.  You will be doing it very similarly, although in the post that person was using a Linux box as a router, whereas you'll be using dedicated hardware.

https://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-another-AT-amp/m-p/3622877#M11970

This should fix your issue.  If you need further assistance, please start a new thread in this forum.

Voyager

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

I have a Motorola NVG589 Gateway with a WD MyNetN900 router behind it. I have it wired directly to my Roku 3. I have "PlayOn" on the Roku and am able to watch videos even when my laptop is wirelessly connected to the RG. I am attempting to set up "PlayOn" mobile access it is able to recognize the MyNetN900 but is unable to configure the router, even when I am connected wirelessley to the WD router instead of the RG. I get the error message:

"When choosing the automatic configuation option, PlayOn will attempt to automatically configure your router using UPnP. For this to work properly, your router must support UPnP and it must be enabled.

Router name: MyNetN900

Router LAN IP: 192.168.6.-

Router WAN IP: 192.168.1.8-

Public IP: 99.100.88.113

PlayOn successfully detected your router and will configure it automatically, but it does not appear to be directly connected to the internet. This is probably because your router is instead connected to one or more other routers that PlayOn is unable to automatically configure. In that case, you must configure each additional router manually before Mobile Access will funtion over the internet."

When I try to configure Mobile Access while connected to the RG, I get a similar message but with no router detected:

"When choosing the automatic configuation option, PlayOn will attempt to automatically configure your router using UPnP. For this to work properly, your router must support UPnP and it must be enabled.

Router Name: No Router Detected

Router Lan IP: Unknown

Router WAN IP: Unknown

Public IP: 99.100.88.113

PlayOn was unable to detect a UPnP enabled router. Please consult your router's documentation for detailed instructions on how to enable UPnP or try the manual configuration option instead."

I don't know what to do at this point in order to configure the RG in order for PlayOn to recognize it in front of the MyNetN900.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.