Treo600user's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 3:18 PM

U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

I am having trouble properly configuring this AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV modem for my network. Maybe someone is aware of a different firmware for this product?

I am completely aware of how to setup the DMZ mode & router behind router setup in these boxes but that is NOT the point. (We have supported firewalled networked equipment working that has all the bells & whistles including QoS)

In the event of a factory reset of the AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem at this business, I want to properly insure the following business requirements are met:

- DHCP - OFF (at min, it appears you must leave one available?)

- WiFi - OFF (Yes this can be turned off, but bridging it always insured it was turned off in the past. ON is a security concern among just bad business i.e. conflict with other business WiFi, employees might see/use this non-content filtered WiFi, etc etc)

- & passing off internet service needs to be easy to another networked supported OUTSIDE of AT&T firewall. (I'm NOT asking for AT&T support on this, but in the bridge DSL world, this was EASY)

- if bridging this 2Wire is NOT an option, backing up the configuration settings would be a nice alternative but that is not available as well?

Bridging the old DSL modems always worked nicely but the 2Wire 3XXXHGV line appears to be the ONLY ones to support the AT&T VDSL Max Turbo speeds. 24Mbps down / 3 Mbps up which we use not only for normal business operations (credit cards, business email, web based training, etc) but this high speed is required to view onsite security video (3Mbps up) and offer customers FAST free WiFi!

AT&T U-Verse offers the right price, contract, speed, internet package & installers to properly handle our resturant locations company's data needs but I'm struggling with the their "business" support of this 2Wire VDSL modem product. We ONLY use the internet, no TV (not legally available for restaurants, yet). No Voip because POTS is our reliable backup. So it's just the internet service ...

For coverage on AT&T Uverse, we have over 50 locations lit up like a Christmas tree but sadly business support on this product is driving me nutz! Maybe because I now see this is listed under "Residential Gateway"? Is this AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem product not meant for business? Is anyone aware of another supported AT&T VDSL modem or a different 2Wire firmware available? Official AT&T support has me running in circles (AT&T U-verse support > AT&T Connecttech > AT&T Connecttech360 > AT&T U-verse support, rinse, repeat)  

help?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

Whether they should be on different subnets depends on how you have things hooked up and what you're trying to do, which I have not been able to deduce from your posts because you're not giving much information. Please answer the following questions:

1. What is your goal for your network that is not solved in the standard U-Verse setup?
2. Do you have static IPs?
3. What (private) subnet is assigned to the LAN of the 2Wire and what is the 2Wire's LAN IP address?
4. What (private) subnet is assigned to the LAN side of your Linksys and what is the Linksys's LAN IP address?
5. What steps/procedures in this thread have you already done? (Post 2? Post 13?)

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

11 years ago

Sorry for the lack of information

Whether they should be on different subnets depends on how you have things
hooked up and what you're trying to do, which I have not been able to
deduce from your posts because you're not giving much information. Please
answer the following questions:

1. What is your goal for your network that is not solved in the standard
U-Verse setup?
I have a windows 2012 domain and all of my servers are using static IP's. I
am running an Exchange 2013 server that I want to open ports 25 and 443 on.
That is best run with a static IP
2. Do you have static IPs?
Yes on Exchange 2013 and my 2 Server 2012 DC's
3. What (private) subnet is assigned to the LAN of the 2Wire and what is
the 2Wire's LAN IP address?
The private subnet assigned to the 2wire is 172.16.15.x,
4. What (private) subnet is assigned to the LAN side of your Linksys and
what is the Linksys's LAN IP address?
172.16.16.x router is 172.16.16.254
5. What steps/procedures in this thread have you already done? (Post 2?
Post 13?)

I am using post 2. I rebooted the router after last nights post and it
assigned via DHCP with the IP assigned it. I am running 2 VMware servers. I
have 2 domain controllers, one of which is running server 2012 Essentials
and I would like to open port 443 on that if I could.

On the Exchange 2013 I added a 2nd NIC with the IP 172.16.16.12 same as the
first NIC which is 172.16.15.12 which allows Exchange to semi function. 443
is open but not 25. I am in the LInksys router using port forwarding for
172.16.16.12 (the Exchange server) for port 25 and 443.

I used to have Comcast prior to moving and had a static IP with the Linksys
router and was able to forward those ports and had Exchange fully
functional. i was using log me in to get to everything externally but it
was a trial. I moved here from Utah in June but didn't get things up and
running till later July and got busy and am just now getting to this, been
using Go Daddy for email.

Summary

If I can assign say 172.16.16.253 to the Linksys and use that for my
Exchange server that is easy I may have spent too much time reading too
many posts.

I purchased 5 public IP's from AT&T. Is it possible to use a second router
with a 2nd IP using post 2. Just curious at this point.

That is what I am trying to do, I hope it makes sense.

Thank You for all of your help. I should get in to routing at this point in
my career 🙂
--
John

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

OK, you will have to make a choice here, because there's two ways to do this:

1. You will have to have all of your servers and systems on private IP addresses (172.16.16.x) behind your Linksys router, and use NAT/PAT on the Linksys to accept inbound connections on various ports (25 and 443) to allow your servers to function.

2. Eliminate the Linksys and use the Internet-routable static IP addresses directly on your servers, and connect your servers directly to the 2Wire.

I recommend choice 1.

To do that, make sure of the following:

1. Make sure your 2Wire is set up for your static IP addresses. They usually give you a block of 8. The first and last are not usable. The second-to-last should be assigned to the 2Wire. This is configured in the 2Wire router under Settings -> Broadband -> Link Configuration. Check the "Add Additional Network", put the 2nd-to-last address of your static IP block into the Router Address field, and put 255.255.255.248 into the Subnet Mask block, then click Save.

2. The Linksys WAN IP address needs to be one of your static IP addresses (one of the remaining 5 in the block). You can assign this statically on the Linksys (recommended), or you can leave the Linksys to use DHCP on the WAN interface, and control the handout from the 2Wire to be one of the IP addresses in the static block. Configure this on the 2Wire via Settings -> LAN -> IP Address Allocation. Find the Linksys in the list, and choose Firewall: Disabled, Address Assignment: Public (Select WAN IP Mapping), WAN IP Mapping: Public Fixed: x.x.x.x.

3. Open ports 25 and 443 for inbound connections on your Linksys, to be sent to the Exchange server's private IP address of 172.16.16.x.

4. Call AT&T and pay their $25 charge to open outbound port 25 for you. This port is blocked in the outbound direction by default for spam control. For your mail server to be able to send mail, this block needs to be removed, and AT&T forces you to pay for it.

5. Change any DNS records (A, MX) for your domain that your mail server will receive mail on to point to the static IP address you assigned to the Linksys in step 2. Mail should begin flowing in.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you someJoe. One question I have I don't see a way to disable DHCP on
the 2wire. I am guessing it is the easiest to create a short range for DHCP?

Thank You

--
John

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

You cannot disable DHCP on the 2Wire, but you also shouldn't need to. All of your computers will be on the LAN side of the Linksys, so they will use the Linksys for DHCP (or be assigned statically).

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you, do you have a good contact for AT&T to pay to open port 25 or is
it just a hit or miss with the main number?

Thank You

--
John

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

I believe ConnectTech may be handling this for them now. Call the main number and get to technical support, and just tell them you want to have outbound port 25 opened to run your own mail server. They should know what you want and transfer you.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you, I will try that. I did speak with tech support and they said no.
I will try again.

--
John

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

11 years ago

This also seems to work for AT&T's latest abomination, the Pace 5031NV.  Our router is a Sonicwall TZ200W, but Joe's instructions were so good that I got connected on the first try.  I've thanked him before, but this time: WHATEVER THEY'RE PAYING JOE IS NOT ENOUGH!!!

Thanks again, Joe,

Tony Lima

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

@TonyLima wrote:

... WHATEVER THEY'RE PAYING JOE IS NOT ENOUGH!!!

Ain't that the truth.  But they don't pay him.  Except in mythical steak knives.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.