Treo600user's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 3:18 PM

U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

I am having trouble properly configuring this AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV modem for my network. Maybe someone is aware of a different firmware for this product?

I am completely aware of how to setup the DMZ mode & router behind router setup in these boxes but that is NOT the point. (We have supported firewalled networked equipment working that has all the bells & whistles including QoS)

In the event of a factory reset of the AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem at this business, I want to properly insure the following business requirements are met:

- DHCP - OFF (at min, it appears you must leave one available?)

- WiFi - OFF (Yes this can be turned off, but bridging it always insured it was turned off in the past. ON is a security concern among just bad business i.e. conflict with other business WiFi, employees might see/use this non-content filtered WiFi, etc etc)

- & passing off internet service needs to be easy to another networked supported OUTSIDE of AT&T firewall. (I'm NOT asking for AT&T support on this, but in the bridge DSL world, this was EASY)

- if bridging this 2Wire is NOT an option, backing up the configuration settings would be a nice alternative but that is not available as well?

Bridging the old DSL modems always worked nicely but the 2Wire 3XXXHGV line appears to be the ONLY ones to support the AT&T VDSL Max Turbo speeds. 24Mbps down / 3 Mbps up which we use not only for normal business operations (credit cards, business email, web based training, etc) but this high speed is required to view onsite security video (3Mbps up) and offer customers FAST free WiFi!

AT&T U-Verse offers the right price, contract, speed, internet package & installers to properly handle our resturant locations company's data needs but I'm struggling with the their "business" support of this 2Wire VDSL modem product. We ONLY use the internet, no TV (not legally available for restaurants, yet). No Voip because POTS is our reliable backup. So it's just the internet service ...

For coverage on AT&T Uverse, we have over 50 locations lit up like a Christmas tree but sadly business support on this product is driving me nutz! Maybe because I now see this is listed under "Residential Gateway"? Is this AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem product not meant for business? Is anyone aware of another supported AT&T VDSL modem or a different 2Wire firmware available? Official AT&T support has me running in circles (AT&T U-verse support > AT&T Connecttech > AT&T Connecttech360 > AT&T U-verse support, rinse, repeat)  

help?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

You may have to factory reset the RG to get it to enable the DMZPlus mode for the Time Capsule. You can factory reset the RG using the last button on this page:

http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_5_7

After that, follow post 2 in this thread to set up the DMZPlus mode.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I was having the same problem: worked forever (modem in DMZplus mode, Airport Extreme handling NAT, etc) but a power outage brought back the Double NAT error. When following the instructions again at the top of this thread, I too got the error message about my router having a static IP. After some trial and error, I realized you just need to delete the router from the list of devices and have the modem "re-see" it:

1) On the U-Verse router, go to Settings > LAN
2) Go to the Devices section about midway down the page
3) Click "Clear List" (this is the key step)
4) Go to Firewall > Applications, Pinholes and DMZ and select your router (I entered my router's IP address instead of trusting the device that auto-appeared).

After that I simply had to refresh my router's IP address (per the original instructions in this thread) and voila.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

11 years ago

Hi, I have an Exchange 2013 mail server I want to assign one of the public IP's too but the Uverse modem/router only allows me to assign a public IP to a DHCP device and all of my servers are static. I have some other servers like a Windows 2012 Essentials that is a DC that I would like to assign an IP to and port 443.

Any idea how to assign a public IP to a devive with an internal static IP?

Thanks

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

@golfer2013 wrote:

Hi, I have an Exchange 2013 mail server I want to assign one of the public IP's too but the Uverse modem/router only allows me to assign a public IP to a DHCP device and all of my servers are static. I have some other servers like a Windows 2012 Essentials that is a DC that I would like to assign an IP to and port 443.

The U-Verse 2Wire gateways do not support multihomed hosts (i.e. hosts with more than one IP address).  So you cannot assign both a private internal and a public external IP address to the same server.

You can do it one of two ways:

1. Assign only the public external IP address to the server (either statically, or via DHCP from the 2Wire).  If you do DHCP and assign the IP address from the public range you've purchased, the 2Wire will always hand out the same IP address to that server, so the IP address really isn't "dynamic" except in mechanism.

2. If you want the server on a private IP address, then you have no choice but to use your own router and set it up as the DMZPlus device as shown in post 2 of this thread.  You will only be able to use ONE of your public IP addresses like this, and you'll have to input the appropriate NAT translation entries and firewall pinholes into your router.  The reason you can only use 1 IP address is the same reason as above -- the router would be multihomed (multiple IP addresses, 1 MAC address).

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you, that will work. If I wanted to also host a web site with 443 I
could use their supplied one and essentially host 2 devices?

Thank You, this is great knowledge

--
John

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

Be warned that if you don't have static IP, and you have U-verse IPTV with wireless receivers, AT&T will reserve the 443 port for its own use to control the WAP that talks to the wireless receivers.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks, then I will just use a static IP from the pool for the mail server for the mail server and be done with it. The mail server uses 443 for OWA so I can't use that with their IP either.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

11 years ago

SomeJoe, the trick is since it is a Windows network if I use DHCP on a server getting it to resolve properly in DNS. I could probably do it with the host file and make things work. I will play around with option 1 this weekend. I am not sure how Outlook will function either but it will be fun to try.

Thank You

@SomeJoe7777 wrote:

@golfer2013 wrote:

The U-Verse 2Wire gateways do not support multihomed hosts (i.e. hosts with more than one IP address).  So you cannot assign both a private internal and a public external IP address to the same server.

You can do it one of two ways:

1. Assign only the public external IP address to the server (either statically, or via DHCP from the 2Wire).  If you do DHCP and assign the IP address from the public range you've purchased, the 2Wire will always hand out the same IP address to that server, so the IP address really isn't "dynamic" except in mechanism.

2. If you want the server on a private IP address, then you have no choice but to use your own router and set it up as the DMZPlus device as shown in post 2 of this thread.  You will only be able to use ONE of your public IP addresses like this, and you'll have to input the appropriate NAT translation entries and firewall pinholes into your router.  The reason you can only use 1 IP address is the same reason as above -- the router would be multihomed (multiple IP addresses, 1 MAC address).

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I'm trying to replace my 2WIRE 3800HGV-B with a Cisco/Linksys E4200.
I've copied/cloned the MAC address of my 2WIRE to the E4200, and set the E4200 to use dynamic rather than fixed IPs.
This has seemingly worked well, but after 10-14 days everything stops.
Are there additional settings that need to be made on the E4200 to get this to work?
It's not clear to me whether the E4200 has to track/poll AT&T to detect changes in IP leases, or whether AT&T pushes/notifies the E4200 of a new IP.
VERY frustrating.
If it's not possible to replace the 2WIRE with the E4200, I guess the more complicated fallback position is to do what others appear to have done successfully, - namely turn the 2WIRE into a kind of faux-bridge to which the E4200 is attached.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.