Treo600user's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 3:18 PM

U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

I am having trouble properly configuring this AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV modem for my network. Maybe someone is aware of a different firmware for this product?

I am completely aware of how to setup the DMZ mode & router behind router setup in these boxes but that is NOT the point. (We have supported firewalled networked equipment working that has all the bells & whistles including QoS)

In the event of a factory reset of the AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem at this business, I want to properly insure the following business requirements are met:

- DHCP - OFF (at min, it appears you must leave one available?)

- WiFi - OFF (Yes this can be turned off, but bridging it always insured it was turned off in the past. ON is a security concern among just bad business i.e. conflict with other business WiFi, employees might see/use this non-content filtered WiFi, etc etc)

- & passing off internet service needs to be easy to another networked supported OUTSIDE of AT&T firewall. (I'm NOT asking for AT&T support on this, but in the bridge DSL world, this was EASY)

- if bridging this 2Wire is NOT an option, backing up the configuration settings would be a nice alternative but that is not available as well?

Bridging the old DSL modems always worked nicely but the 2Wire 3XXXHGV line appears to be the ONLY ones to support the AT&T VDSL Max Turbo speeds. 24Mbps down / 3 Mbps up which we use not only for normal business operations (credit cards, business email, web based training, etc) but this high speed is required to view onsite security video (3Mbps up) and offer customers FAST free WiFi!

AT&T U-Verse offers the right price, contract, speed, internet package & installers to properly handle our resturant locations company's data needs but I'm struggling with the their "business" support of this 2Wire VDSL modem product. We ONLY use the internet, no TV (not legally available for restaurants, yet). No Voip because POTS is our reliable backup. So it's just the internet service ...

For coverage on AT&T Uverse, we have over 50 locations lit up like a Christmas tree but sadly business support on this product is driving me nutz! Maybe because I now see this is listed under "Residential Gateway"? Is this AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem product not meant for business? Is anyone aware of another supported AT&T VDSL modem or a different 2Wire firmware available? Official AT&T support has me running in circles (AT&T U-verse support > AT&T Connecttech > AT&T Connecttech360 > AT&T U-verse support, rinse, repeat)  

help?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

Cool, glad the problem was fairly simple. Plus you now have a router you like better.

Remember on the download issue that U-Verse advertised speeds are shown in megaBITS per second (i.e. 18 Mbps), while WIndows shows file download speeds in megaBYTES per second (i.e. 2.5 MBps). There is a factor of 8 difference between the two.

Go to speedtest.net and do a speed test, and make sure to do it from a wired computer. Speedtest.net reports speeds in megaBITS, to match what the advertised speed is rated at. See what it shows.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

AT&T should fire all of their foreign national Tech Reps and hire you and many clones of you to quickly and efficiently address basic concerns like setting up parental controls on a Uverse internet account. I ask, why do we have to purchase a second router, go through all of the technical genuflections to bridge to the routers,just to achieve a very basic and fundamental requirement of establishing internet service at home? Even businesses lock down their internet access to avoid security breaches and internet abuse. If this is what it takes, the short answer to my question is jettison the Uverse router completely and just follow the KISS principle. 

I wish someone at AT&T Executive Management would read some of these painful threads.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

I appreciate the support and props, thank you.

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Ok, SomeJoe. I've read about 2/3rds of this thread and I can't seem to find out where I'm going wrong. I've got an ASUS wireless router I'm trying to do this with. I do everything you posted then I run an ethernet cable to the main STB and I get about 30 seconds of tv then it just stops. I change the channel and I get the same thing. About 30 seconds of feed then it turns into a still. I'm hoping you can help me with this before I send this router through the window 🙂

I'm not as well versed in networking but there's quite a bit of settings to tweak on this router so I'm sure there's a fix if you can point me to it. Thanks in advance.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

Hi drumrguy,

Unfortunately, setting up your own router as directed in this thread will only work for computers and other Internet devices. It will not work for the TV boxes -- those must be connected directly to the RG.

The TV boxes receive the IPTV signal using a combination of unicast and multicast packets. When you first tune to a channel, the stream is unicast. After about 20-30 seconds, the TV box joins the multicast stream seamlessly.

However, consumer routers (and even most professional routers) are not set up to route multicast traffic, nor can your Asus be configured to do so. So what happens is that the STB begins displaying the channel, but the channel freezes as soon as the box attempts to shift to the multicast stream, because the multicast stream won't go through your Asus.

You will have to either run an Ethernet cable separately for the TV box, or if the wiring is such that only the computer network (off your Asus) is coming to the TV box's location, you can also solve this problem with VLANs, but you will have to purchase at least 2 VLAN-capable switches (least expensive models that will work with U-Verse are $70-$90 each).

Mentor

• 

98 Messages

11 years ago

Joe, thanks for the great instructions. I purchased a new wireless router (TP-LINK TL-WDR3500 Wireless N600 Dual Band) to get better signal and speed in my house with 5 PCs on LAN and a few devices on wifi. It does actually work very well even in areas of my house that the 2Wire barely reached. Initially I followed your post 13 only using the wireless features of the TP-Link. I had one issue with wireless dropping out once in a while on the 2.4GHz while the 5GHz kept working nonestop. Couldn't figure out the problem and went as far as resetting both the 2Wire router and the TP-Link. It wasn't too bad and every other day or so I had to reboot the TP-Link to get the 2.4GHz working again.

I then decided to follow your instructions from post 2. I got everything working after I gave the TP-Link a static IP. No more issues with wireless dropping (knock on wood). It's nice to have everything under one router and bypassing the 2Wire. I have one issue remaining and I am hoping you may have an answer. I have a Server 2012 Essentials running for backups and media streaming. The client PCs have been deployed with skipping domain setup (trick found at Paul Thurrot's site). Almost everything works between clients and server (backup, media,  shared folders, dashboard), except "Anywhere Access" (remote web access) which allows the connection to the server and its clients from "anywhere" via a domain name.

The server is directly hooked up to the TP-Link and uses the same IP range as everything else. Remote Access worked fine when everything was running through the 2Wire alone. When I try to set this up with the TP-Link behind the 2Wire I get an error that the server is blocked. The wizard set port forwarding on the TP-Link router correctly (443 and 80) for this to work and I see the entries. The wizard is smart enough to suggest that there is more than one router on the LAN and that they may not be working together properly.

It seems that even though the correct ports are forwarded somehow the 2Wire prevents this from working. The server wizard lists the correct server IP address and the TP-Link as default gateway.  

enough rambling. any hints are appreciated.

thank you

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

ausgewandert,

If the TP-Link is the DMZPlus device, then normally, nothing in the 2Wire would prevent inbound connections on port 443. Check your TP-Link configuration carefully.

There is one item you need to be aware of: If you have wireless STBs, the wireless access point that is used for the wireless STBs takes port 443 away from you, and nothing can be done about it. The only work-around if this applies to you is to purchase a block of static IP addresses and set up one of them as the DMZPlus device.

Mentor

• 

98 Messages

11 years ago

thanks Joe, it worked fine with just the 2Wire router and I do not have wireless STBs. I will go back and carefully look at the TP-Link settings. In the meantime I found in the MS 2012 forums that it is a common problem that the remote access stops working in a multi router situation. I still have to digest what their conclusions are. There are some directions but I do not understand them entirely.

thanks for your help.

cheers

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Well, wouldn't you know. I did some browsing, after I wrote my post, around the wireless router settings and there were settings for IPTV http://imageshack.us/a/img600/8780/router1.png

I set the correct port and it worked. I didn't get any freezes. nothing. I was finally able to get rid of the hub I was using to splice the feed from the RG.

There's also settings for the unicast and multicast items you mentioned in my router as well. http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/7947/router2s.png

I'm assuming I don't have to tweak those since I'm getting the TV feed just fine.

Now, my only problem is my wireless router isn't sending out the wifi signal but I don't know if that's a result of me switching on that IPTV setting. I'm guessing it isn't but I'm going to bug ASUS about that tomorrow. Would you have any suggestions on that? 🙂

and Thanks again

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

OK, the IPTV settings there are unusual, I have not seen a consumer router with those settings before. They must be new.

Anyway, if they're working, then leave them as they are currently set.

For the wireless, you'll need to check the wireless settings in the Asus and verify that you have wireless enabled and that the access point's SSID is not hidden (or you'll have to manually add it to your devices if it is hidden).
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.