For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Treo600user's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 3:18 PM

U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

I am having trouble properly configuring this AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV modem for my network. Maybe someone is aware of a different firmware for this product?

I am completely aware of how to setup the DMZ mode & router behind router setup in these boxes but that is NOT the point. (We have supported firewalled networked equipment working that has all the bells & whistles including QoS)

In the event of a factory reset of the AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem at this business, I want to properly insure the following business requirements are met:

- DHCP - OFF (at min, it appears you must leave one available?)

- WiFi - OFF (Yes this can be turned off, but bridging it always insured it was turned off in the past. ON is a security concern among just bad business i.e. conflict with other business WiFi, employees might see/use this non-content filtered WiFi, etc etc)

- & passing off internet service needs to be easy to another networked supported OUTSIDE of AT&T firewall. (I'm NOT asking for AT&T support on this, but in the bridge DSL world, this was EASY)

- if bridging this 2Wire is NOT an option, backing up the configuration settings would be a nice alternative but that is not available as well?

Bridging the old DSL modems always worked nicely but the 2Wire 3XXXHGV line appears to be the ONLY ones to support the AT&T VDSL Max Turbo speeds. 24Mbps down / 3 Mbps up which we use not only for normal business operations (credit cards, business email, web based training, etc) but this high speed is required to view onsite security video (3Mbps up) and offer customers FAST free WiFi!

AT&T U-Verse offers the right price, contract, speed, internet package & installers to properly handle our resturant locations company's data needs but I'm struggling with the their "business" support of this 2Wire VDSL modem product. We ONLY use the internet, no TV (not legally available for restaurants, yet). No Voip because POTS is our reliable backup. So it's just the internet service ...

For coverage on AT&T Uverse, we have over 50 locations lit up like a Christmas tree but sadly business support on this product is driving me nutz! Maybe because I now see this is listed under "Residential Gateway"? Is this AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem product not meant for business? Is anyone aware of another supported AT&T VDSL modem or a different 2Wire firmware available? Official AT&T support has me running in circles (AT&T U-verse support > AT&T Connecttech > AT&T Connecttech360 > AT&T U-verse support, rinse, repeat)  

help?

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

12 years ago

Was able to disable NAT and am still having the same issue.   The Ipad sees the router, asks for the passphrase, I enter it in, it tries to join the network, then kicks me out after a couple seconds and tells me it is unable to join the network.   I suppose for the next step I will try to turn off the 2wire wireless and run all the wireless from the upstairs WRT and see if that works for me.  Otherwise I am about to just fork over the $100 for an actual access point after I get done dislodging this router from my my computer screen.  

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

Followed your advice....after a week or so, the printer showed up in the Netgear device listings with IP address 10.0.0.10 and after adding printer with this IP address on networked PCs and iPad, everything is working like a charm....I LOVE self-healing nework issues ! Thanks for the advice !

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

SomeJoe7777:

I realize this is an old thread, but the solution seems to match my needs almost completely.  My need is this:  to the configuration you have mentioned, I need to add another router that connects to wired devices (Dish Network DVR, SlingBox, WII, etc).  To re-state, can I have router A (used for wired connections) connected into my wireless router B which in turn is connected to my U-Verse 3600HGV gateway?

I need router B for its wireless capabilities and wireless print server functions and I need router A so that I have a wired way to connect my non-wireless devices which are in a remote part of my house.

My U-verse service was switched on just yesterday (Internet and VOIP only)

Would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

RM

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

Sorry, I saw the newer parts of the thread after my post...apologies. The solution I was referring to in my post was #13. My question still stands though. Thanks.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

Essentially what you're describing is using the 2nd router (router A) as a switch rather than a router. You can do that if you do not have a separate switch available, you just need to make sure to turn off router A's DHCP and set it's LAN IP address to a free IP within your LAN's range.  Essentially the configuration is the same as post #13 without configuring any wireless.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

12 years ago

A sad update.......couldnt get it to work and bit the bullet -- bought the Linksys wireless range extender.   It solved my problem.   Unfortunate I couldnt get the router to work as an access point but oh well.   Thanks anyway for all your help and feedback, much appreciated.   

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

12 years ago

SomeJoe,

I am trying to connect my Belkin Router (model F5D7231-4 version 1000) to my 2Wire i38HG so I can use the parental controls (put limits on IP addresses).  I followed the steps in post #2, but when I get to step 8, I could not access my Belkins setup features anymore. Neither by connecting my PC to my Belkin or connecting through my 2Wire.  Did I miss something?

Here is what I did:

1. Set your router's WAN interface to get an IP address via DHCP.  This is required at first so that the 2Wire recognizes your router.
- Under my Belkin LAN settings my DHCP server is set to "on".  Pool of addresses is 192.168.2.2-100
- My Belkin WAN Connection Type to "Dynamic"
- my Belkin IP address is set for 192.168.2.1 (this is the address I type in to make changes to the Belkin)

2. Plug your router's WAN interface to one of the 2Wire's LAN interfaces.
- I unplug power to the Belkin
- Plug Belkin WAN to port on 2wire

3. Restart your router, let it get an IP address via DHCP.
- I plugged in power to Belkin to restart it.

4. Log into the 2Wire router's interface.  Go to Settings -> Firewall -> Applications, Pinholes, and DMZ
- I connect my computer to my 2Wire i38HG a access the settings by 192.168.1.254
- I see my Belkin and confirm it by the Mac Address

5. Select your router under section (1).
- Done

6. Click the DMZPlus button under section (2).
- I select "Allow all applications (DMZplus mode)"

7. Click the Save button.
- Done

8. Restart your router, when it gets an address via DHCP again, it will be the public outside IP address.  At this point, you can leave your router in DHCP mode (make sure the firewall on your router allows the DHCP renewal packets, which will occur every 10 minutes), or you can change your router's IP address assignment on the WAN interface to static, and use the same settings it received via DHCP.

- I can not access my Belkin router now.

9. On the 2Wire router, go to Settings -> Firewall -> Advanced Configuration

10. Uncheck the following: Stealth Mode, Block Ping, Strict UDP Session Control.

11. Check everything under Outbound Protocol Control except NetBIOS.
- Under this setting it reads "Checking the box ALLOWS the associated traffic type through the firewall."  Do I still want to uncheck them?

Where did I go wrong?

Thanks!

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

OK:

On step 11, you want to CHECK everything under outbound protocol control (except NetBIOS), not UNcheck. This allows the traffic to your router. Then your router can filter it as appropriate.

Once you've done that, you need to plug your computer into one of the Belkin's LAN ports and restart your computer. This will give your computer a 192.168.2.x address handed out by the Belkin instead of a 192.168.1.x address handed out by the 2Wire.

You should then be able to access the Belkin at http://192.168.2.1.

After that, move all of your computers to the Belkin's LAN ports or the Belkin's wireless and activate your parental controls.

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

12 years ago

SomeJoe, Boy do I feel dumb!  If it was a snake, it would have got me!

That seems to do the trick!  Thank you!

I can now access the internet with my Belkin through my 2Wire i38HG. The IP filters work!

If ATT would have chosen to add the 2Wire Access Control to the software in the i38HG, it would have been easier!  2Wire offers it but for some reason ATT doesn't want to give up that control.

Smiley Happy

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

12 years ago

OK, here is my issue or question, I want to be able to control my STB with my Iphone just like the remote, U-verse has updated their app for the iphone and now has this capability. My problem is that when I go to manage devices in the app it does not find any of the STB's it comes back with the message "U-verse wireless gateway not found". Now my guess the problem is that I have a D-link dir655 behind the RG i38hg and I have the RG set to DMZ Plus mode. The Rg is on 1.254 and the D-link is on 0.1 so they are on differnet subnets. My question is do I have to switch over to connect the RG to a normal LAN port on the D-LINK and shut down the DHP server on the D-LINK and have the RG hand-out the IP's.

If I do this will  the network still be using the D-Link's firewall, which I prefer and will I still be able to use the wireless through the D-link. I just can't figure this out, read too many posts and don't want to screw-up what's working as the DMZ and the D-Link are working just fine, but want the functionality of using the Iphone app. Any help is appreciated.

Or is it possible to enable the wirelss on the RG, just for the iphone functionality?

Thanks

Dan "in a networking fog this morning"

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.