Wednesday, January 16th, 2013 12:47 AM

Closed

Static IP Setup 3600/3800/3801

2WIRE/PACE 3600/3800/3801 Static IP Setup

1. Open your browser and browse to 192.168.1.254

2. Click on "Settings" across the top

3. Click on Broadband" under settings

4. Then click on " Link Configuration" under Broadband

5. Under "Supplementary Network" you will have a check mark "Enable" for "Add Additional Network" make sure to check the box

6. The "Router Address" will be the last usable address in your block.

• Example: 99.18.100.200/29 which is a block of 8 IPs six usable 5 being able to be assigned to device.
  • 99.18.100.207 is the broadcast and will not be usable
  • Gateway/Router Address will be 99.18.100.206
  • Usable for hosts are 99.18.100.201 - 99.18.100.205
  • Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.248

(Note: "Auto Firewall Open" will allow all Static IPs to bypass the firewall)

7 Click Save at the bottom Right and the gateway is not ready to handle your Static IPs

Note: these are the Subnet masks used in the router;

• 255.255.255.248 block of 8
  • 255.255.255.240 block of 16
  • 255.255.255.224 block of 32
  • 255.255.255.192 block of 64
  • 255.255.255.128 block of 128
*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

I've tried this, and set the NICs on the servers on the LAN to use the static IPAs.  They can ping the 2WIRE gateway address for the public IP range, but they cannot reach the Internet.  Also, they do not show up in the 2WIRE's list of devices.

I've been fighting with this for months.  I hear AT&T U-Verse has a Motorola unit that is less brain-dead than the 2WIRE, but I haven't been able to get one.  Yet.

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi THX_1138,

I am sorry you are running into this issue, and hopefully, it is a simple step that will fix it. When it comes to setting up the static IP block you are paying for to work through the 2wire router, you need to program it into the router so it will handle that subnet.

To do so:

1. Login to you the 2wire at http://192.168.1.254
  2. Select the tab Settings
  3. Select the sub-tab Broadband
  4. Select the sub-tab Link Configuration
  5. Check the enable box next to Add Additional Network
  6. In the field Router Address, you want to put in what you want to be the default gateway for your block of IPs. This IP will be assigned to the 2wire router.
  7. In the field Subnet Mask, put in the appropriate subnet mask
  8. I personally like to check the box that says Auto Firewall Open
  9. Select Save

Hopefully, this resolves your issue. Let us know how it goes.

-David T

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

I have done all that, although:

1. [step 1] I used the network I set up instead of the default 192.168.1.0 one.
  2. [step 6] I gave the router address I was told to use, which was the last one in my address block (.126 from a x.x.x.96/27 block).
  • The appropriate NICs on the hosts on the LAN have been set (on their hosts)  to the static IP addresses.
  • Most of the NICs can ping the 2wire at the x.x.x.126 address.
  • None of the NICs can reach beyond the 2wire.
  • None of the static addresses are accessible (via ping) from the Internet, not even the x.x.x.126 gateway address.

The sole exception is my Vonage modem, which I spent hours trying to get to work with address x.x.x.125.  It was still not working when I went to bed, but it started working by itself in the middle of the night.  It can now be reached from the Internet, and can itself reach the Internet.

I am not currently where I can report on the 'IP Address Allocation' list -- but only a very few of the static NICs show up in the list, despite attempts to force discovery through ping, nmap, and curl requests to and also through the 2wire.  Whether a NIC shows up in the 2wire's device list or not makes no difference to its accessibility.

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

Thank you for that information. It looks like you have set everything up right. It appears that it may be some routing issue, whether it is with the U-verse router, or a router beyond that. I can definitely help with both. I will be sending you a private message to discuss this further, since it will be more account specific information.

-David T

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I'm now having a similar problem with my 2Wire HGV-B 2701, inasmuch as my static IP addresses simply do not seem to route correctly.

This setup was working fine for ~2 years, but two days ago, no traffic routes to the public IP addresses at all.  Traffic from the private subnet would make it just fine.  There's been no configuration changes on my end, either to the servers or the router involved.

Setup:

2Wire HGV-B 2701

Router IP address: x.x.x.174

Static IP block (configured as the supplemental network): x.x.x.48/255.255.255.248; router address here is defined as x.x.x.54

Private network: x.x.x.1/255.255.255.0

Computer A, with the public IP:

x.x.x.49/255.255.255.248

Gateway: x.x.x.54 (router's public IP address)

Computer B, on the private subnet:

x.x.x.2/255.255.255.0

Gateway: x.x.x.1 (router's private IP address)

My computer on the private network (x.x.x.2) can browse the Internet just fine, so line works, router works, etc.  From this computer, doing a tracert to Google's nameservers works fine:

C:\>tracert 8.8.8.8

Tracing route to google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     1 ms     1 ms     1 ms  homeportal [192.168.0.1] <---- Router's private IP
  2     9 ms     9 ms     9 ms x-x-x-2.lightspeed.chcgil.sbcglobal.net [99.
117.56.2] <---- Router's x.x.x.174 gateway
  3     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  4    38 ms   560 ms   599 ms  12.83.43.29
  5     8 ms     8 ms     9 ms  ggr3.cgcil.ip.att.net [12.122.133.9]
  6     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  7    10 ms     9 ms     9 ms  209.85.254.128
  8    11 ms    10 ms     9 ms  209.85.254.240
  9    23 ms    22 ms    23 ms  209.85.248.228
 10    31 ms    23 ms    23 ms  216.239.46.191
 11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 12   171 ms   131 ms    20 ms  google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]

----

The problem is that the same request from Computer A, on the static IP address, fails:

C:\>tracert 8.8.8.8

Tracing route to 8.8.8.8 over a maximum of 30 hops

1    <1 ms     1 ms     1 ms  x-x-x-54.uvs.cicril.sbcglobal.net [x.x.x.54] <---- router's supposedly public IP address
  2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  3     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  4     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  5     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  6     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  7     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  8     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  9     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 10     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 12     *        *        *     Request timed out.

------------------------------------------------------

Similarly, I allowed the router to respond to pings, and I used the website http://ping.eu/ping to send pings remotely.  If I ping x.x.x.174 (the router's IP), it works; however, if I ping x.x.x.54 (which should also be the router's IP), it doesn't work.

As far as I can tell, something upstream of the router is discarding packets that originated from my static IP address block.  I don't know if this is due to the subnet difference between x.x.x.x andx.x.x.x or what, and I'm hoping you can help.

(IP address removed for security reasons)

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

10 years ago

Since this is account specific I would recommend that you send a private message to the escalation team at ATT U-Verse Care and someone will get in touch with you. Their normal business hours are from 7am to 10pm Central Time. Please take into account weekends when contacting them.

To check for their reply, click the little blue envelope. List Private Messages

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Since it sounded like I was having a similar problem to THX1138 (computers with the static IP can reach the router but cannot reach the Internet), I was hoping there'd be some insight.

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hello cmcguigan,

We're sorry about the trouble you are having with your block of Static IP's. We have received your private message and will continue working with you via private message to ensure these Static IP's are routing traffic correctly.

SadathCS
ATTU-verseCare

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

So to give my resolution to this problem, customer care got in touch with me.  After talking back and forth, they assigned me a new set of static IPs -- after updating the gateway with the new set, everything worked correctly and the machines that had static IPs assigned had their traffic routed correctly.

I have no idea why this would be the case, but it worked.  So there you go.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

I'm chewing the rug here.  I definitely have first-hand experience supporting the wide-spread opinion in the tech community that the 2Wire boxes are piles of steaming ordure that should never have seen the light of day, much less have been deployed by a company as well-known as AT&T.

Some issues and history follows.  I don't have the Web UI in front of me, so I'll have to approximate the tab names.

1. The LAN->IP Assignment page says that you can configure NICs on LAN devices to use static IP addresses and it will pick them up and honour them -- but that only worked for my Vonage modem.  None of the other 8 NICs I need to set up would work this way.
  2. The 2Wire keeps confusing two of my NICs, assigning the static IPA for one to the other's MAC.
  3. The 2Wire claims a bunch of my NICs have 'Static IP - no DHCP', even though that's false and the 2Wire assigned them the addresses they have.
  4. 'Clear device list' is unreliable; the 2Wire may -- or may not -- remember names previously given to MAC addresses, so who knows what else it's failing to forget?
  5. The 2Wire arbitrarily forgets explicit IP assignments and changes the to 'from the pool'.
  6. Getting rid of all static assignments and trying to port-forward/pinhole SSH to an IP on my LAN didn't work -- external systems showed the port as filtered.  The LAN IPA (IP Address) was originally outside of the 2Wire's DHCP range, but it behaved the same way when I made it a DHCP-assigned IPA.
  7. The 2Wire arbitrarily filters ports that were previously open.

Those are highlights, and probably incomplete; I'm so frustrated that I'm sure I've missed some.

This morning, I did this:

1. On each of two servers, I a) shut down four NICs; b) configured 'eth1' statically to a LAN IPA outside the 2Wire's DHCP range; c) configured 'eth2' through 'eth4' to get their IPAs from the 2Wire with DHCP.  Note that all 8 NICs are down at this point.
  2. I did a 'clear device list' on the 2Wire.
  3. I turned off all the attack-detection options in Firewall->Advanced.
  4. On the first server, I went through the NICs one by one, and a) brought it up; b) confirmed the 2Wire saw it; c) used the 'IP Address Assignment' page to assign a specific public IPA to it; d) shut down the NIC on the server; e) restarted the NIC on the server; f) confirmed on the server and the 2Wire that the NIC had been assigned the correct IPA; g) moved on to the next NIC.

When I finished with the above merry-go-round,

• All the NICs showed the correct IPA assignment on their hosts;
  • The 2Wire also showed the correct IPA assignments; and
  • The public IPAs were reachable from the WAN.

However, this didn't last.

• Port 22 (ssh) on all assigned public IPAs that I tried to use went from 'open' to 'filtered' (as reported by nmap) -- the ones I haven't tried to use still show 'open';
  • server1's eth2 was assigned the IPA originally assigned to server1's eth3;
  • server1's eth3's assignment didn't change, but the 2Wire showed it as 'not connected';
  • most of the devices/NICs explicitly assigned LAN IPAs went from 'DHCP/fixed from pool' to 'Static - no DHCP' (which means they can't really be edited any more at all).

So, after spending three hours this morning (plus at least ten times that much over the last few weeks), I'm essentially still in the condition of having public IPAs I can't use because the 2Wire is as brain-damaged as a squirrel under a concrete truck.

Happy?  I don't think so. 😞

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.