For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
cpsavage's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, October 17th, 2013 4:24 AM

Setup Static IP's Router behind RG 5031NV

I am trying to move from TWC to AT&T and need to have static IP's. I have a block of 5 usable and have been working with AT&T Level 2 support to try and get them working. They cannot figure this out. I would prefer to setup bridge mode in the device and let my firewall do all the routing and protection. This is my current setup. I have tried a few different things since the AT&T Level 2 guys can't figure it out. I've read that this model does not do bridging well, if at all. I've tried the DMZ route and that assigned a completely different public IP to my device than what I was given. How do I configure this device to work the way I need it to? If I can't get this to work, I'm going to seriously cancel the service. I'm on day 5 of trying to get this working. 

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

10 years ago

To use the static IP addresses behind another router, you will have to use the "Cascaded Router" option. I have not tested this option, so I can't tell you if it works or not and/or what the caveats would be. This option would be used on it's own (i.e. you have to turn off Supplementary Network and DMZPlus in order to use it).

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

OK. I wish there was some documentation on the "Cascaded Router" option. It isn't really self explanatory how to set it up. I am not at the office right now but will try later. I did try disabling Supplementary Network and enabling Cascaded Router with the pointer to the IP address I have selected for my router. That didn't work but I would not be surprised if there are parameters I am missing either in the 5031 or in my corporate router (I just do a NAT map of a public range to a private range in my ZyWALL NAT which is called "many 1:1 NAT" in ZyWALL terminology. Specifically WAN public IPs as follows 104.xxx.xxx.9-13 are mapped to DMZ private IPs of 192.168.3.9-13). The 104.xxx.xxx.9 IP address is also the address of the ZyWALL router which is how the RG recognizes the router in "Supplementary Network" mode. I am assuming it gets identified the same way when in "Cascaded Router" mode but maybe that is where I am getting it wrong...

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

10 years ago

Thank you @gimp_dad for posting your configuration and that you were able to get it working.

Actually, that makes sense to me.  You're telling the RG that the next hop for traffic arriving at its WAN port on the public static addresses is the router on its LAN which it can reach at a private IP address, and telling your internal router that the next hop for the default route from its LAN side is the private IP address on the LAN side of the RG.  The traffic arrives at the next hop, that router knows how to route that address and away the packet goes.

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

I agree that it all makes sense.  This seems like a configuration that would be commonly desired.  ATT should do a better job of explaining it.  There is zero documentation on this mode.  Part of what makes it unintuitive is because the identification of my router by using a private IP address from the RG is totally different treatment than used for either Supplementary Network or LAN IP modes.

By the way, my solution has one more level of complexity.  I am actually mapping the Public IP block to a private block (192.168.3.xx).  As a result the public static IP block is never specifically sent to my internal DMZ port.  I have a WAN to DMZ NAT conversion in between.  This, of course, makes it much easier to do two things:

1. have other supporting file or compute servers on the DMZ network for supporting my public servers,

2. allow more levels of virtual server mapping to be taken care of on my ZyWALL router (e.g. can map one public IP address to a mail server and a different web server).

Thanks for the help that got me started down the right path here.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

10 years ago

Yes, I agree that this Cascaded router setup is highly confusing:

1. Having public IP addresses on one side of a router, the Internet on the other side of the gateway, and an intervening RFC-1918 private IP network in between is counterintuitive. One would think that publically-addressed Internet packets could not (and should not) traverse a private network.  However, this is actually a legal configuration given that the 2Wire router is prepared to route traffic over the private network.

2. Since you actually have another RFC-1918 private network behind your own router, the public IP addresses are actually completely virtual in that none of them are actually assigned to a physical LAN port on any device.

The cool part you have been able to do with this configuration is:

A) Be able to use your own router and static IP addresses behind it, which was never possible before the cascaded router option showed up in the last firmware update.

B) Cascaded router setup on the 2Wire + your 1:1 NAT configuration on your router essentially sidesteps the 2Wire routers' enforcement of 1:1 mappings between IP addresses and MAC addresses (i.e. no multihoming). You can now have all 5 of the public IP addresses usable within the same piece of hardware (the Zyxel router).

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

I have a question about the solution to this problem.  If you configure the WAN of your firewall with a private IP from the 5031 pool then I would think that the firewall  itself would use the dynamic public IP from the 5031 WAN side.  So devices _behind_ the firewall would have static public IPs but the firewall itself would be using a NATed and dynamic IP.  This would be a problem for me because I am currently running a VPN from the firewall and I need that the WAN side of the firewall also be static.

So it seems like you can have one static for your firewall _or_  5 statics for devices behind the firewall but you can't have statics for both?

Thanks,

Diego

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I'm in the same boat as you Diego... is it possible to use 1 of the 5 for the firewall and still have he remaining 4 available for devices behind it? I'm using a Sophos sg appliance behind the att gateway and I want the Sophos to run my VPN as well as do all NAT from public WAN to internal LAN Is it possible or am I stuck with only mapping a LAN IP to the WAN port of the Sophos using the cascaded router option ?
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.