jycww's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sunday, October 6th, 2013 2:15 AM

Samsung SMART TV will not access internet on UVerse

Today, I bought a new Samsung 40" SMART TV with the intention of connecting to the internet.  My ATT UVerse DSL was working fine with PCs, etc.  

As I went through the setup on the SMART TV, it found my wireless router and I entered the correct security code.  In the setup, it showed that it verified that it was connected to my UVerse wireless router and it even said that I was connected to the internet.

However, for any function on the SMART TV that tried to access internet, it would show "connecting" in the upper right corner of the screeen and continue to say that until I exited.

In looking at other posts on the UVerse forums, I found suggestions on first looking at the network settings.  There, I found that it did have an IP address, a Gateway address and a DNS address (which was obtained automatically).  some have documentd that you change the DNS setting to manually enter and I did this, placing the DNS address of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as shown in these forums.  Neither of these worked.

In talking to Samsung support, they also had me try the 8.8.8.8 DNS setting, and then said that someone would call me in 24-48 hours.  

As neither of the previous suggestions seems to have worked (resetting the DNS settings), are there other ideas out there?  I guess I could just buy a normal LED TV and buy APPLE TV which connects fine to UVerse.  Would appreciate any help out there as I previously was a big fan of UVerse, but this has tainted the experience.

Thank you for any assistance.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

10 years ago

@jycww wrote:

Today, I bought a new Samsung 40" SMART TV with the intention of connecting to the internet.  My ATT UVerse DSL was working fine with PCs, etc.  

As I went through the setup on the SMART TV, it found my wireless router and I entered the correct security code.  In the setup, it showed that it verified that it was connected to my UVerse wireless router and it even said that I was connected to the internet.

However, for any function on the SMART TV that tried to access internet, it would show "connecting" in the upper right corner of the screeen and continue to say that until I exited.

In looking at other posts on the UVerse forums, I found suggestions on first looking at the network settings.  There, I found that it did have an IP address, a Gateway address and a DNS address (which was obtained automatically).  some have documentd that you change the DNS setting to manually enter and I did this, placing the DNS address of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as shown in these forums.  Neither of these worked.

In talking to Samsung support, they also had me try the 8.8.8.8 DNS setting, and then said that someone would call me in 24-48 hours.  

As neither of the previous suggestions seems to have worked (resetting the DNS settings), are there other ideas out there?  I guess I could just buy a normal LED TV and buy APPLE TV which connects fine to UVerse.  Would appreciate any help out there as I previously was a big fan of UVerse, but this has tainted the experience.

Thank you for any assistance.

Does the TV have an Ethernet port? If so you might try hard-wiring (temporarily) the TV to the router to see if it's strictly a wireless issue.

You might also see if there are any updates for your TV. You should be able to do that right on the TV. If you still can't get the TV online, you should be able to use your computer to get the updates from the Samsung website and transfer them to the TV using a USB flash drive.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I've got the same problem and have tried the same DNS settings.  I've also tried both wired and wireless connections.  Any other solutions out there??

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

You also need to specify the Country Code:

1. Open Smart Hub

2. Aim your remote at the TV and press: [fast-fwd] 2 8 9 [rewind]

3. Select desired country... note it takes quite a while to get this list; do this after changing DNS to 8.8.4.4

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.