tjrrr's profile

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

Thursday, October 3rd, 2013 2:29 PM

Maybe a tip for Dell C1660w Color Laser wireless setup

After struggling and failing  to set up this printer using WPS on a 3800hgv-b gateway - gateway appears to reboot when button pressed - I found a method that works. Maybe this'll help anyone else fighting with a similar setup.

My gateway is in default wireless configuration, SSID broadcast on, WPA-TKIP and WPA2-AES with the default 10-digit password. FWIW, I've had no problems connecting Windows computers and iPads to it.

Using the automatic setup on the Dell printer, though, didn't work whether using the printer control panel or a PC connected to printer via USB cable. Printer would find my network but would never accept the password. Eventual solution was to use manual setup, type in network name, and specify "WPA-TKIP" for the type of PSK. Apparently the printer recognized my network as having PSK type "Mixed mode PSK" which somehow messed up the password. It's also possible there is some confusion as to whether my password is 10 hex digits or 10 ASCII characters.

One more tip: The Windows printer driver setup never seems to automatically find the IP address of the printer, so just let it search and fail (no stop search button) and then type in IP address manually (address may be found by printing network settings using printer control panel or using gateway HTTP interface.)

C1660w does seem to feature quality, fast printing for a cheap price, just horrific network setup. Also doesn't appear to support Air Print, but there's an app for iOS.

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

11 years ago

Thank you for that information tjrrr. I am glad you got everything working and am sure this will be a great help to all those that run into this issue and will save them a great deal of time.

-David T

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Thanks for your valuable input.  I got the same set up problem but it just sloved by your tip.  You are the life saver, great job!

Tutor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I had this same problem today and your work around did the trick. Great job!!!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Thanks for the tip!!!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I had issues keeping my Dell 1660w online.

I would come back to my computer and try to print and get a "Dell 1660w Offline" message. 

Searched for answers but nothing short of reinstalling printer worked. 

Tried the following which seems to have worked (for the time being - we'll see if this sticks or not).

Reserve printer IP Address in Router:

1) In Router look for "attached devices", look for DELL7xxx (it is not called DELL 1660w in router), find ipaddress, mine was 192.168.1.13> under router LAN advanced settings, reserve that ip address.

Set Printer to Fixed IP Address:

2) In google, search for manual set ip address dell 1660w and you should find instructions on how to manually set the 1660w printer address to a fixed ip. Set it to the same address you found in your routers ip address for the printer. Again, mine was 192.168.1.13 (yours will be different).

Create New Printer Port in Windows:

3) Windows>control panel>devices & printers>right click on 1660w icon>choose "printer properties" (not "properties")>select PORTS tab>add port>standard tcp/ip port>new port>next>enter ip address of your printer>next>ok or apply, etc.

highlight your newly created port in under the printerproperties>port tab, select configure port>change port settings>change protocol to "RAW" and save/exit out.

Test the printer.

Again, I hope this setup sticks and helps someone out.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.