CatladyDane's profile

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

Friday, November 22nd, 2013 2:37 PM

Laptop wifi failure at home 2WIRE347

I have acquired a laptop and have verified that it does connect to wifi at other locations.  At home I have a 2WIRE347 router for u-verse internet.  When I attempt to connect laptop it identifies the wifi connection but shows "limited availability".  Diagnostics returns "Wireless Network Connection doesn't have a valid IP configuration".  My desktop successfully connects to the internet and the gateway shows wireless activity (that little green light).  This is my first attempt to connect a laptop since I moved up from DSL to u-verse.  I had no problem connecting a laptop when I had DSL.  So, what's going on here and how do I fix it?  What exactly does that message mean?  As I scroll down the diagnostic detail on the laptop it says:  "Connectable: No, Reason: 0x00028002".  Does that help and if so, what does it tell you?

I'm determined to make this work, as it should be a simple thing, without paying someone for information that should be readily available.  (Please don't suggest ConnecTech.)

Thank you for your help.   

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Employee

• 

12 Messages

10 years ago

Try changing the authentication type on the RG's wireless settings to WEP-Open

To do this type in your browser (desktop that works) - 192.168.1.254

Click on Settings, then LAN, then Wireless.

Switch it to WEP-Open then try to log into it again on the laptops. That could potentially get everything working. If not, an RG swap or a tech visit may be required.

If the RG asks for a passcode or access code, it's screen printed on the side of the RG.

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

10 years ago

Sorry, I forgot to mention...both computers (desktop & laptop) have Windows 7. Also, I did reboot both computers and unplug and reboot the gateway...more than once.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

10 years ago

1) 2WIRE347 is your network name, not the model number of the router

2) In your Control Panel, click on Network and Internet

3) Select connect to a network

4) Select 2WIRE347

5) On the side of the router there should be a passkey needed to be able to connect, enter that into the field that is required

6) click on Connect it should now connect to your network.

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

10 years ago

I've done all of this...more than once.  The laptop recognizes my network, but will not connect to it.  I get a message that my network does not have a valid IP address.  (This doesn't make sense to me because my desktop computer has no problem connecting to the internet with this gateway.)  Running the Windows troubleshooter on the laptop indicates that I should reboot my gateway/router, which doesn't fix the problem either.  I shall, before proceeding further, take the laptop to another public Wi-Fi location and make sure all Windows updates are current.  I shall also see if my friend's laptop will connect using this U-Verse gateway...it connected with no problem before I upgraded to U-verse but I haven't tried since.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

10 years ago

@CatladyDane wrote:

I've done all of this...more than once.  The laptop recognizes my network, but will not connect to it.  I get a message that my network does not have a valid IP address.  (This doesn't make sense to me because my desktop computer has no problem connecting to the internet with this gateway.)  Running the Windows troubleshooter on the laptop indicates that I should reboot my gateway/router, which doesn't fix the problem either.  I shall, before proceeding further, take the laptop to another public Wi-Fi location and make sure all Windows updates are current.  I shall also see if my friend's laptop will connect using this U-Verse gateway...it connected with no problem before I upgraded to U-verse but I haven't tried since.

Is your desktop connected wired or wireless?

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

10 years ago

The desktop is wired.

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you so much! I had to do a tiny bit of simple tinkering on the laptop afterwards, but it worked. I wish instructions for such simple things were easy to find without having to resort to community forums. This is something everyone should know. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

How do I change the passcode if I find the wifi has been accessed by unauthorized users

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

8 years ago

@HandyGoober- Use browser to access GUI - YOU will need gui password found on label on RG - http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_1

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@HandyGoober  Here ya go:

https://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/How-to-Change-your-Wi-Fi-Password-and-Network-Name-SSID-on-NVG/m-p/4309811#M44628

Make sure you are using WPA2-PSK(AES) wi-fi security, no one gets in that does not know the password.

Good luck 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.