JAM1243's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Monday, October 13th, 2014 7:35 PM

How to use DIR-655 Router as simple gigabit switch in lan connected to a 3800HGV-B

I have a 3800HGV-B RG providing internet, telephone and TV to my home. I want to repurpose a D-Link DIR-655 as a simple gigabit switch to allow computer backup between two Mac Pro workstations with attached Raid Arrays. After reviewing the online instructions, I gave up on trying to configure the DIR-655 in DMZPlus mode, so this is my fall back rather than purchase a new dedicated switch. Any pointers would be appreciated. Happy to have a distinct VLAN between the two Mac Pros. Each Mac Pro has two gigabit ethernet ports, and I can hard wire each through the DIR-655 as well as to the RG.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

9 years ago

Hi @JAM1243,

I was looking into the DIR-655 and putting it in a bridge mode so it would act as a switch. I found an article showing that firmware version 1.05 took that ability out. Even if it were possible, the 3800 does not have gigabit Ethernet ports, so it would be routing at the 100Mbps speed. The best bet is to put it in there in a router behind router setup. You would not have to do any special configurations besides making sure the Dlink router is setup to receive an IP address automatically (DHCP).

Hope this helps.

-David T

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks, after reviewing the prior links on this topic in this forum, I configured the DIR-655 as a second router and disabled wireless on the 3800. So far so good. Still working on how to set up the firewall on the DIR-655 for same security as behind the 3800 so if anyone has tips on that, appreciate them.

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

9 years ago

I am glad you got everything working JAM1243. For specific firewall configurations, I do not see anything you have to change that the DIR-655 already has enabled by default.

-David T

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

Well, I spoke too soon it appears. I follow the instructions is this lengthy thread:

https://forums.att.com/t5/Third-Party-Devices/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-another-AT-amp/m-p/2707755#M182

However, I decided to use my DIR-655 as wireless and wired router. I can get the DMZPlus mode working through the point where the RG assigns the external (public) IP to the router. However, where I get stuck is when I try to place the router in a separate subnet from the RG and change the router IP address. At that point I end up no longer able to access the router configuration.

I think it would be very helpful to update the instructions so that there is one place to find how to use the DMZPlus mode to a wireless router/switch to give control of LAN and WAN to the 2nd router. Currently you have to dig through the 20 page thread and try to piece together a scheme which I have failed to do successfully. Of course, ATT could upgrade its RG equipment to Gbit LAN ports and N/AC wireless but I know that isn't happening any time soon.

In particular I note that the latest firmware for the 3800 has new options for either a "supplemental network" or a "cascaded network". How are these used to add a 2nd router with Gb switch and wireless?

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

9 years ago

Hi @JAM1243 ,

You actually should not have to change the IP address of of the DHCP pool on your router, since the public IP address is on the WAN side. If you do statically assign your router a private IP address, than it would be best practice to change the DHCP pool. 

Your best bet is to follow the steps listed as the accepted solution in that thread:

1. Set your router's WAN interface to get an IP address via DHCP.  This is required at first so that the 2Wire recognizes your router.

2. Plug your router's WAN interface to one of the 2Wire's LAN interfaces.

3. Restart your router, let it get an IP address via DHCP.

4. Log into the 2Wire router's interface.  Go to Settings -> Firewall -> Applications, Pinholes, and DMZ

5. Select your router under section (1).

6. Click the DMZPlus button under section (2).

7. Click the Save button.

8. Restart your router, when it gets an address via DHCP again, it will be the public outside IP address.  At this point, you can leave your router in DHCP mode (make sure the firewall on your router allows the DHCP renewal packets, which will occur every 10 minutes), or you can change your router's IP address assignment on the WAN interface to static, and use the same settings it received via DHCP.

9. On the 2Wire router, go to Settings -> Firewall -> Advanced Configuration

10. Uncheck the following: Stealth Mode, Block Ping, Strict UDP Session Control.

11. Check everything under Outbound Protocol Control except NetBIOS.

12. Uncheck NetBIOS under Inbound Protocol Control.

13. Uncheck all the Attack Detection checkboxes (7 of them).

14. Click Save.

If you do want to make any unique changes from this, let us know what you are aiming to do, and we will be glad to see what we can to help.

-David T

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

A very helpful ATT Tech came to the house last night and installed an NVG589 which does have gigabit ethernet ports for the LAN (4) and a/b/n wireless so for now that solves my issue and greatly increases wireless speeds. Much appreciate the advice above for the DIR-655, good to see the steps in one place.

I know the technical folks don't like the lack of access to some of the built-in features of the NVG589, but also appreciate the nightmare it would create for ATT to have to deal with custom router configurations.

So, happy to retire my 3800HGV-B and have gigabit LAN. Needless to say I'm not going to go to AC wireless until other devices are updated so won't mess with existing setup.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.