NYchris's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, March 23rd, 2011 6:15 AM

How to open ports on a 3801 HGV 2 wire router

Ive tried everything from DMZ to just using ports and everything is blocked!!!!!!!!  Im trying to get my xbox to work without waiting 2 hours to find someone to play.   When I had dsl I never had this problem as it seems the ports dont work right on this 2wire modem.  I am in Florida and have the U verse max plan with basic tv.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

181 Messages

13 years ago

@OneDollarEarned wrote:

Did you ever get some resolution to your issue.  I just received the 2Wire 3801HGV and I can't seem to get any ports opened at all.  Prior to switching to u-Verse, I had TWC and there was never any issue opening ports or configuring port forwarding with my Linksys Routers (latest one E3000).  This has been so frustrating that after twenty four hours of service, I'm seriously considering going back to TWC.

I don't game, but I have four NAS device that I need FTP opened on the firewall to acess my NAS.  I also have IP cameras that I need to have access to from the internet.

I've been searching for the users guide for the 3801HGV and can't find it anywhere.

You will not find a manual for this gateway. Trust me, I have been looking for quite some time and it's not available. Not even from 2wire or Pace.

I have the same gateway and had no problem forwarding my ports. The first thing I noticed was that 2wire does not refer to a port as a port, they refer to them as pinholes so that may be part of your difficulty.

The first step is to be sure your device shows up and is recognized by the gateway, does it?

You will see it in the list of devices here: Settings / Lan } Scroll down to "Devices" and be sure it is in this list. It could be listed as "Unknown" as well, if so click the 'edit device' and name it whatever.

If you don't see your device then you need to look at your device and be sure it is within the DHCP range of the gateway and is within the same subnet. The default for the gateway is: 192.168.1.0 with subnet of 255.255.255.0 so if you didn't change the gateway be sure your device is within 192.168.1.64 - 192.168.1.253 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 . Be sure to 'Save' any changes as you go.

Once your device shows up in the device list the next step is to give it a 'Static IP'. To do this go to the 'Settings / LAN / IP Address Allocations' and change the 'Address Assignment' to whatever 'Static IP' in the list you want to use. Be sure to 'Save' any changes as you go.

Now for the port (pinhole) forwarding. Go to the: 'Firewall / Applications, Pinholes and DMZ'. Now the first thing is to be sure the device you want to work with is listed as:

"You have chosen 'Your Device should be here'", in other words, it's selected. If not click on it to change to it.

Now doing straight FTP is easy since it is already in the list as is Xbox. Just select FTP or Xbox from the list and click add and it will be added to the 'Host Applications' data and will be forwarded to your device. I always click 'Save' after this just to be sure.

One note: If you are trying to access the device via the internet and can still not, do some reading on 'Dynamic DNS'. But you should now be able to access the device via your ISP/IP : port without the Dynamic DNS as long as the ISP/IP does not change.

That's about it. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask. I am only a user like yourself so don't get too technical on me. And, I do not know a thing about Xbox and the like, just know the gateway because I have to.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

Did you ever get some resolution to your issue.  I just received the 2Wire 3801HGV and I can't seem to get any ports opened at all.  Prior to switching to u-Verse, I had TWC and there was never any issue opening ports or configuring port forwarding with my Linksys Routers (latest one E3000).  This has been so frustrating that after twenty four hours of service, I'm seriously considering going back to TWC.

I don't game, but I have four NAS device that I need FTP opened on the firewall to acess my NAS.  I also have IP cameras that I need to have access to from the internet.

I've been searching for the users guide for the 3801HGV and can't find it anywhere.

Scholar

• 

179 Messages

13 years ago

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

13 years ago

Bubba, I can't thank you enough for this solution.  I have had u-verse for about three days and couldn't get my ports to open for my server till I happened upon this thread.  Calls to AT&T today yielded a pointer to a service that would help me if I subscribed to a it at $15/month.

Not a nice way to treat a customer who has been faithful to AT&T for years.

And finally, thank you :),

Gerry

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

13 years ago

By the way, it seems once you've used "edit device", if you go back later "edit device" is no longer displayed.  I'd like to change the name of a few more devices that the box displays simply by their MAC number.

Anyone else notice this?

Gerry

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Thanks for the post! I am currently trying to add a Wansview ip camera. I can get it to function with the internal ip address, but can't get it to broadcast with my external ip address (aka Wansview manufacturer's domain). Has anyone figured out the dynamic DNS? I would like to view my camera from outside of our wifi via the Internet. Thanks.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

bubba,

Can you help me out, I am trying to get an app that isn't in the list added (MediaMonkey Remote). I tried adding a custom app, but still no go.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Here's a PDF user guide for the "2Wire HomePortal 3801HGV Intelligent Gateway" (Pace)
https://viewer.zoho.com/api/urlview.do?url=http://www.2wire.com/pages/pdfs/3801.pdf

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

i just received my 3801HGV after lightning smoked my prior RG. The manual can be seen (PDF) at

http://hackingbtbusinesshub.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/3801hgv_user_guide_rev-1-0.pdf. 

I suppose this is old news but thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

norbschulz

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.