For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
BillP40's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Sunday, March 22nd, 2015 5:42 PM

Connecting Nighthawk R7000 with NVG589

Hello All,

Here is an overview of the network in order.

NVG589 connected to Nighthawk R7000 routher which is connected to netgear prosafe 8 gigabit switch.(needed more ports) . I plugged my three home network drops into this switch. In addition I have another prosafe 8 gigabit witch in my living room and a VAP2500 wireless access point for the wireless cable boxes.  I hope this give a picture of the network.

I have 5 cable boxes - 2 connected with coax, 2 wireless and 1 conected via RJ45 network cable. I followed the directions for setting up the NVG 589 in bridge mode. set the NVG589 for passthrough mode, turned off the wireless.

My wirelss network works fine, Cable television works fine however, I have (2) issues.

(1) My DVR's that are connected via coax will not rewind or record.  Ths message states. "The DVR is unplugged or not connected". Yet the cable box conected to the RJ45 network and the wirless boxes record and rewind perfectly fine.

(2) the wirelss boxes frezze up and lose signal all together.  The blue screen comes up and says connections lost.  I previously only had one wirelss outsdie and it was very reliable.  Not sure if the issues is the second box or the new router.

Any suggestions on what might be the problem/s?

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@BillP40 First of all, not clear, is the WAP connected directly to the 589 RG on cat5e ethernet patch cable, but as far away as possible (6' or so) from the 589 RG?  It can't go thru a switch.

Second, make sure all the coax connections are wrench tight, they loosen over time.  If that fixes the coax connected units, great.  If not I'd do a whole house reboot.

Unplug the RG and DVR and STB(s)and any WAP for wireless receiver(s), wait 30 seconds and plug the RG back in.

When that turns all green, then plug the DVR back in and wait until it reboots. Then if there is a WAP, plug it in and let it turn green.

Then plug in the STB(s), wait til it reboots and see if everything starts working again. 😉

Acronym Guide so you understand all terms: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/17724

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

Hello Chris,

The wirelss router is connected directly to the NVG589.  Perhaps this diagram will better illustrate the network. network.JPG

1 Attachment

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

Chris your suggestion did not work

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@BillP40 wrote:
Chris your suggestion did not work

Looks like you still have the WAP connected to a switch, has to be connected to the 589RG directly, that is why the wireless TVs are not working right.  First thing I posted in the 1st post. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the response. Let me make sure i understand. Initially att setup the two switches bit had the first switch in the chain plugged directly into the RG. I have since moved the switches behind my netgear router and that is the problem. Is that correct?
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.