banestrick's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Monday, July 22nd, 2013 12:06 PM

Cannot connect smart tv to internet

Have had my samsung smart tv since December 2012 and all has worked just fine.  We just left for vacation for 10 days came home and now my tv will not connect to the internet.  All of our other devices connect to the internet just fine, so definitely a problem with the tv internet only.  We received an update form uverse while we were gone and wondering if that has something to do with it.  anyone else have this problem?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Apparently the push from U-Verse block your Samsung TV. That's what happen to me. Samsung sent out a tech and this a known problem. The tech manually changed the DNS IP to 8.8.8.8 and iot corrected it. My Smart Apps works again.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

banestrick - Since your other stuff works it must be the TV. As test, turn off the security in the RG & try it.

I just got one of these smart TVs & it did not have very good instructions on EXACTLY how to connect. It just says follow the wizard, which is not clear. Add the hiding of the password as you type it & you do not have a chance. I don't know about you, but I do not have any nefarious persons watching as I type it in.

If your STB is connected to the RG via COAX, you can connect the network jacks (TV -STB) with a cat5 cable.

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

11 years ago

Most likely because you were not using the TV it did not keep the IP and you probably just need to go into settings and re-enter the wireless password if this is a wired ethernet connection turn the TV on and the plug the cat5 cable in.

If you unplug a modern TV which some do there is a possibility it will not store the IP for extended periods after all most use a single core with low ram and probably a light form of what ever OS they choose.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

I have the same problem for about 10 days or so.  Samsung Smart TV is getting connected to the router, but internet connection fails, with "Contact ISP" message.  So far, I verified that both fiirewall and MAC filtering are disabled, then tried restarting router, returning TV to factory condition, loading firmware upgrades via USB. connecting TV via cable to router.  It didn't help.  I am at my wits end . 

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

Mit66 - Are you talking wired or wireless? Could this be a Samsung problem??

I would try pulling the plug on the TV. Rebooting the RG. replug the TV & try to establish the connection.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

I've tried that, and have tried with a wired connection to the EG and wireless (preferred method). Still no Internet connection.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

jnshimko - Did you call Samsung?? A third Samsung is reporting trouble. Beginning to sound a lot like Samsung.

http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/My-Smart-TV-no-longer-connects-to-the-Internet/m-p/3529491#M10962

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

I tried both wireless and wired connections, and the error is the same: "Contact ISP"  I also tried to power donw network by phycially unplagging TV and router/modem from the outlet. No results.  Last night, I turned hotspot on my iPhone and was able to connect TV to internet and stream some Netflix via T-Mobile 4G network.  So, it seems to me TV is fine.  Could it be some sort of incompatability or ISP addresses?  I will try to reset my U-verse router tonight (before I was unpluggin it).

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I'm also having this problem on both my samsung smart TV (UN60ES8000) and samsung smart blu-ray player (BD-E5900-ZA).  All my other devices connect fine to the internet .  I've tried both wired and wireless connections to the Uverse residential gateway for these samsung products.  Like the few others whom have posted this issue, it connects fine to the router (IP addresses, etc. are present), but won't connect to the internet.  I've tried power cycling the TV, blu-ray and RG several times without success; I've also tried resetting the RG via the web portal without any lucke.  Something is blocking the connection from the samsung devices to the Uverse RG - whether this problem is due to samsung or Uverse, it can't be determined - the network setup wizard indicates to contact the ISP to resolve this problem.

I can't pinpoint when this started occurring since we don't use the smart functions that often, but it couldn't have been for more than a week or two.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

thorn223 = If you Google the problem, you will find it is quite common. It seems more related to Samsung than U-verse. Unfortunately, I did not see any way out. Please post if you do.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.