7 Messages

Thursday, July 10th, 2014 4:57 PM

Closed

Cannot complete wireless setup of new Canon printer - was button issues

Hello - Trying to enable wireless printing for a new printer:

Printer - PIXMA MX922

Uverse Wireless device - 2 Wire 3800HGV-8

Computer - iMac running 10.9.4

The printer finds WPS compatible access point. Next step - "press and hold wps button on wireless access point and then press OK". 

The only button on the wireless device except for the power button is a padlock with waves - I'm assuming that is the WPS button. Pressed and held for about 30 seconds. There is no OK button on the wireless device that i can find.

Proceeded with set up and received error message - could not connect/timeout.  

What do I need to do? It is important due to space issues that I get the wireless feature working. THANK YOU!! PS - I know others have had this problem but I've been unable to find a workable solution. 

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

View profilellw_8484

On your browser go to http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_1

Notice the second item is WPS. It probably says disabled. Change to enabled & save (at bottom of page).

You can press the WPS button on that page  - click push button.

You will need the GUI password from the side of the RG. This is not the wireless key.

By actvating the WPS on the RG and the printer simultaneously they communicate  & set up the security.

If you cannot do that. Use the wizard on the printer & select your wireless & enter the wireless key.

I have done both. Whichever one works is the easiest.

Good luck Let me know when it works.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

hello -

Thank you for your prompt response. I still cannot connect remotely.

push button method: The printer screen displays ?connected to the access point? and the blue light is lit. selected "push button" on Uverse settings page and entered the password. The ?configuration successful? message appears at the top. I went back to the the printer immediately and selected OK. still got the same error message (time out). The set up disk screen showed "printer could not be detected?.

Standard method: required to enter a passcode consisting of letters only. The network name contains letters and the password and network key are all numbers. Not sure what to enter. I cannot move beyond that screen. I also tried selecting the ?copy? button for a network that doesn?t require a password, but only copy info displayed.

WPS method 1 - Method one IS the push button method
WPS method 2 - PIN: printer display ?set pin below to the access point in 10 minutes?. I don?t have a clue to what that means. The pin number changes each time. I cannot get to a screen that accepts numbers so I?m at a complete loss.

I also checked out the advanced method - not sure what to do there.

I also turned the printer off and back on and tried the methods. I verified none of the possible issues (near electrical devices, in a part of the house where the network can?t be detected, etc.) exist.

I?m usually very good at setup of computers and peripherals. I rarely have a problem and if I do, I can figure it out through forums. This issue is very frustrating to me. I look forward to hearing from you soon. thanks.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

I am afraid I cannot do more from here. I suggest you call support at Canon & see if they can help - talk you through it.

I looked at the on-line manula & it is no help. There are videos on how to do things, but not WI-fI.

The WPS method one  should work. I do not see the need for method two it seems more complicated than direct connection.

If it is saying the password must be all letters you could change it to that in u-verse. Of course, you have to change your other devices, too. It seems too restrictive. If it is true, that may be whhy the WPS method fails.

You did try it adjacent so that it was sure to detect??

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you again - I too suspect it?s something with the printer. Drivers or something since I also cannot get it to show up on my list of installed printers when I changed to the manual connection (grrr). The manual install was also ?successful?.

I?ve initiated a conversation with Canon.

Unfortunately, to try it adjacent i would have to move my desktop and the printer downstairs where the box is located. I have no problems accessing the network from upstairs on my own and my work computer and especially since the manual connection also appears whack I really don?t think that?s the problem. Also, the printer indicates the access point is detected and the network lite on the printer is lit and steady. I will make that my last-resort test.

Thank you again for all your help. I certainly learned a lot about WPS and routers!!

Have a great week.

lw

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you for your help - I agree it's probably the printer since I cannot get it to work via the manual connection either. I've initiated a conversation with canon. 

thanks again and have a great week. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

How was it resolved with Canon? Just purchased the same printer for our Macs, have U-Verse and same set-up problem.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I followed the Ace Master instruction above. When your router details appear change disabled to enable and enter the advanced network key on the router to save. A message will appear that the router was successfully updated. I left the screen up and followed the printer standard setup instead of the WPS and it was able to find the 2WIRE account. I selected the wireless network and manually entered the network SSId Key. On the printer to get to the numbers I had to choose the alt key between the done and del key across the bottom of the printer display window. When done the screen said connecting to network so I opened the router webpage that I minimized earlier and chose the manual push button to remotely link the WPS. The router successfully connected to the printer. Then I proceeded with the CD-ROM setup. Hope this helps.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I too purchased a new Canon MG2922 with a 3801HGV routers.  I followed all the instructions above (made sure WPS is enabled, installed the printer through USB and verified it is working correctly).   I tried pushing the button manually on the router and also tried "push button" option through this site:  http://192.168.1.254/.   Nothing works.  I've contacted Canon and I'm waiting to hear back, but I seriously doubt this is an issue with the printer.  It responds exactly according to direction until it gets to the point where the router is supposed to communicate with it.  Somehow the router is not responding.    

If anyone has any other suggestions I would sure appreciate them!

And if no suggestions for this printer - can someone recommend an affordable wireless printer that they know has successfully connected to this Uverse router?   I may have to take this one back.   The only reason I bought it was to have one that connects wirelessly.  

Thanks!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.