dwildrick's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, May 11th, 2011 8:04 PM

Brother MFC 9840cdw printer won’t acquire valid IP address from RG

I’m trying to get the Brother MFC-9840cdw to communicate with my new Win 7 computer on my wireless network using the standard U-verse 2Wire router. 

I used the setup instructions that came with the 9840 to make the wireless connection with the network (SSID: Dave’s Network), and the LCD panel on the front says “connected.”  I have the LAN set up as an “open system” using WEP and the network Key printed on the RG.

However, when I check the “network configuration” printout on the printer, it shows an invalid IP address, in the 169.xxx.xxx series. 

My new PC running Win 7 is wirelessly connected to this same network (with no problems) and shows a proper IP address (192.xxx.xxx).  When I installed the Brother software from the Win 7 CD that shipped with the 9840, the printer driver was unable to find the 9840 on the network (says printer is “offline”).  I assume this is because of the 169.xxx.xxx IP address, which is considered “invalid.” 

If I do a factory reset of the Brother, the network configuration shows an IP address of 000.000.000.  But when I complete the wireless reconnection steps to the network, it says “connected”, but again returns an invalid IP address (169.xxx.xxx) on the network config printout.

How can I get this printer to report a valid IP address?

Is it possible that the DHCP setup on the 2Wire RG is unusual and the printer cannot respond to it?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

13 years ago

Most equipment will work better WPA2 that has been mfg'd in the last couple of years and 8 characters is more simple than the

required 16 for WEP to be secured. My HP C6380 works great with those settings.

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

13 years ago

Do you have the option to set security to WPA/PSK  also select DHCP for auto ip/DNS.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

13 years ago

Yes, I can change it.

Is that likely to be what I need to get proper wireless communication between printer and the RG?

I was trying to keep security settings simple.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

13 years ago

Changing the security settings on the printer from "open system" with WEP to WPA2 fixed the problem, and I've got a valid IP for the printer now.

Evidently, I suffered a momentary collapse of integrity and forgot that I had changed the LAN security from WEP to WPA2, when I switched from my Linksys router to the 2Wire router about a year ago (when we installed U-verse at home).  Thanks for setting me straight.

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

13 years ago

You are welcome .

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

My printer stopped working.  I tried everything.  I went to check my wireless connection and it said I had the incorrect WPA password.  The password was given to me when I signed up for ATT Uverse.  I never changed it.  How could this have happened.  We definitely need to be able to print.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.