For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
calliedo's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Monday, November 18th, 2013 11:08 PM

Are Wires Suitable?

I was just notified that U-verse is now available to my home. Before we were "too far away" from the node or whatever although I am unaware of anything different in the neighborhood.

I am interested in U-verse for all three service but have a concern about the suitability of the existing phone and cable coax wires now in the house.  They have been there for 41 years and the drop goes to a ATT "box" in the back yard that I know floods half way up it every few years. It has been "replaced" three times.  The Comcast cable coax splits 4 ways in an upstairs closet. My current cable, phone and DSL service seems OK but I don't want to commit to a change until I can feel more assured that the existing infrastructure won't degrade things a great deal or prevent needed connectivity.   Should I be concerned?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

calliedo - Hopefully MT is getting some sleep after putting together that great answer at 3am, So, I would jump in on these two easy ones.

Yes, the WAP and RG are two separate devices connected by cat5. The RG is combo modem/router for internet & TV. WI-fi is internet only. WAP is only wi-fi for STB/TV.

The lower use TV is used for the DVR because most only support three HD & you need to watch the fourth HD on another STB, A new rollout supporting the fourth HD makes this moot.

It should be connected cat5 because it is the conduit through the RG for whole house DVR. COAX may work well, but why take a chance, If it is near the RG it is just a short patch cord. The leg between the RG & DVR carries more data than any other leg & in both directions.

Employee

• 

12 Messages

10 years ago

With a U-Verse install, if the installer needs to replace the current wires and run new ones, the first 3 cables are free. U-Verse runs best on CAT5e cable, so in most circumstances, the installer will pull new CAT5 wiring to the RG (modem) and to at least one set top box (DVR). If you're only putting in 3 TV's, the most likely course that the installer will take is to put wireless boxes in the other two locations. If new wiring needs to be pulled, it could take a few hours, but in the end, I believe you'll have a much better experience with TV. I know I wouldn't trade my existing services (U-Verse - all three products) for anything.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for the quick response. ?I have tried to get some of these questions answered with the chat folks but to no avail. And it seems no one will look at what is required for my installation until I say "yes" to the package. I just don't want to be surprised after the fact with poor old existing, or expensive new connections I had not planned for.

I would be connecting to a total of 4 TVs. ? ?So to see if I understand... as I am not sure of your terms "wires," "cables," ?and "pull." ?Are you saying that the drop to the back of the house would likely not change... but CAT5 cable would likely be run from there to the RG? And from the RG to the DVR and to the current phone wire system for the land line phones? ?The other three TVs would be "wireless" connections to the RG, and that the current coax TV cables would not be used at all? ?Thanks for your patience.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Much appreciated. A great answer... you addressed each of my questions/concerns in a very clear way. Two additional questions... Are the WAP and the RG two seperate devices normally connected by CAT5?  And why your suggestion that the lower use TV be the one nearest the RG on an Ethernet cable   (perhaps because it wouldn't count as a wire run but Ethernet is not as good as CAT5?)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.