Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Apr 9, 2014
9:20:25 PM
Adding a second router as wireless access point to extend coverage...

I am familiar with this link on how to configure a second router:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-anoth...

But I have some other newbie-ish questions. I have the 3600HGV (internet only service) on one end of my house and lose coverage at the other end. I can hard wire ethernet to the other side and add another router as an access point to extend coverage. So questions are:

1. I think my 3600hgv is 802 g, does this mean I should be buying an 802 g router? Is there a particular router that integrates better than others with the 3600hgv?

2. Is it possible to have 802 n on the wap router, even though the 3600hgv is a g?

We have very simple needs, basically just need good wifi signal strength on the other side of the house. Everything in range of the base 3600hgv works great when connected, just lose the signal on the other side.

Please advise. Thank you!

I am familiar with this link on how to configure a second router:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-another-AT-amp/m-p/2707755#M182

But I have some other newbie-ish questions. I have the 3600HGV (internet only service) on one end of my house and lose coverage at the other end. I can hard wire ethernet to the other side and add another router as an access point to extend coverage. So questions are:

1. I think my 3600hgv is 802 g, does this mean I should be buying an 802 g router? Is there a particular router that integrates better than others with the 3600hgv?

2. Is it possible to have 802 n on the wap router, even though the 3600hgv is a g?

We have very simple needs, basically just need good wifi signal strength on the other side of the house. Everything in range of the base 3600hgv works great when connected, just lose the signal on the other side.

Please advise. Thank you!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Apr 10, 2014 5:21:00 AM
(0)
Expert
Yes, you can use a wireless access point of your choice for the other side of the house. It can be 802.11n or g, it does not have to match the 3600HGV.

Since you're going to be using both access points, I recommend you set up the additional one as follows:

- Same SSID (wireless network name) as the 3600
- Same encryption method and key as the 3600
- Different wireless channel at least 4 channels away from the one the 3600 is using.

If set up like this, laptops and other wireless devices can seamlessly roam from one access point to the other.

Set up the additional wireless access point using the instructions here:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-another-AT-amp/m-p/2723261#M313

Accepted Solution

Adding a second router as wireless access point to extend coverage...

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Apr 10, 2014 5:21:00 AM
(0)
Expert
Yes, you can use a wireless access point of your choice for the other side of the house. It can be 802.11n or g, it does not have to match the 3600HGV.

Since you're going to be using both access points, I recommend you set up the additional one as follows:

- Different wireless channel at least 4 channels away from the one the 3600 is using.

If set up like this, laptops and other wireless devices can seamlessly roam from one access point to the other.

http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-anoth...

http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-another-AT-amp/m-p/2723261#M313

Re: Adding a second router as wireless access point to extend coverage...

2 of 3 (31,525 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 10, 2014 9:45:00 AM
(0)
Voyager

Thank you! I will do all of the above. Exactly the info I needed.

Thank you! I will do all of the above. Exactly the info I needed.

Re: Adding a second router as wireless access point to extend coverage...

3 of 3 (31,505 Views)