For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
THX1965's profile

Mentor

• 

17 Messages

Monday, March 11th, 2013 9:15 PM

2WIRE 3800HGV-B and HP Laserjet network printer - extremely slow printing

I just switched from Timewarner Cable to AT&T's U-verse. I have an HP Color LaserJet CP1518ni connected to the 2WIRE 3800HGV-B modem/router that AT&T gave me. I am using it as a wireless router, but the HP is connected to it directly via Ethernet. Nothing else is connected the the 2WIRE modem/router - just the HP printer.

I had the same setup with Timewarner (their wireless modem/router) and my HP printer hard wired to it. It was working fine. I never had any problems with printing speeds.

Now - it takes 10 minutes and longer to print a simple PDF document. Even text documents take minutes to print. - I did not change anything with the printer, I just plugged it into the new AT&T modem/router.

Wireless internet speeds are as fast as they should be for the service I am paying for (in the 20MB/s range). It's just the wireless printing that is a big problem now.

I was trying to get help from AT&T's (Indian) tech support, but they said that they'd not deal with printer problems and I'd have to talk to HP - which is of course nonsense since one day it works fine - the next day with the new AT&T router the printing speed slows down to a crawl.

Does anyone know if there is anything in the setup of the 2WIRE that would have such a negative effect on printing speeds? Is there anything I can tweak, any area I should take a close look at?

I'd really be happy for any kind of advice. Thank you so much in advance.

Markus

Mentor

• 

17 Messages

11 years ago

PROBLEM SOLVED!

I figured out the problem. The default firewall settings on the 2WIRE were the problem.

Through the web browser interface of the 3800HGV-B I selected "SETTINGS" - "FIREWALL" - "APPLICATIONS, PINHOLES and DMZ" and under "1) Select a computer" I chose my connected network printer. And for that chosen printer/computer I enabled DMZplus mode - allowing all traffic to go through.

Wow! What a difference! Even complex PDF documents now print within a few seconds, what used to take 10 minutes and longer.

Am I endagering my printer now by leaving it fully exposed? Should I have narrowed the hole in the firewall for that device to "web server"? If somebody knows anything about firewall configuration, I'd be very interested in hearing how to fine tune it.

Thanks.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

There is no firewall between the Ethernet ports on the 2Wire router. The firewall only exists between the Internet and your LAN.

Turning on DMZPlus did not fix your printing issue. Something else is going on.

Mentor

• 

17 Messages

11 years ago

That is really odd. - Well, switching it to DMZplus did one thing: the 2Wire assigned the printer (which is in DCHP mode) a competely new and different IPv4 address: 99.117.43.3 - it was a 196. number before.

That is really the only thing that has changed. Hmmm.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

but how and where do I change the IP address? online or on the
HP 4620 Desk Jet all in one? Thanks...Gypsy41

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi gypsy41,

You can actual do it in either device, but you do not have to do it at all as it will dynamically assign one. If it does not, then you want to do it on your HP 4620 Desk Jet.

All you should need to do is point your computer at the IP for the HP 4620 Desk Jet, and you can find that by checking the device list in the U-verse router or on the HP 4620 Desk Jet.

To check it on the U-verse router:

1. Go to http://192.168.1.254 on your computer
  2. On the front page, it will show all the devices connected to your U-verse gateway. 
  3. Select details next to your printer and it will give you the IP Address.

Hope this helps.

-David T

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.