who-dat's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Sunday, July 13th, 2014 7:35 PM

2 xbox 360s uverse 2wire router. we can get online, but not the same game

@Ponzi wrote:

Once again, SomeJoe has been a great help. I just bought an Xbox One to use in conjunction with my Xbox 360. I set up the Xbox One last night and noticed that the NAT was set to strict. I was going to open up the recommended ports on the new Xbox this morning and found this thread. My Xbox 360 is connected to the RG by Ethernet, and I was simply going to buy a network switch to allow me to use the same run of Ethernet cable for both Xboxes. But it looks like I need to buy a UPnP router instead and set it up in the DMZ. I'm going to get an older Netgear WNR2000 router since I'm going to turn off its wireless radio and won't need any of the newer WiFi technology. I assume that the 300 Mbps switches in that router will be fast enough for my purposes.

did this work?

my brother just moved down from NY, and we're trying to play GTA: online at the same time on the same Att uverse router....we can both get our xboxes online, but we cannot play in the same game at the same time....

I spent hours last night, trying to figure out 'port triggering' on the provided 2wire att router....to no avail. I also tried changing the DNS settings on the xbox (an online friends suggestion), and it allowed us to be in the same GTA: o session at the same time...for a moment, then I got booted w/a connectivity prompt, and it would not allow me to re-connect to ANY GTA: o session.

i'll purchase a second router (one that uses UPnP) if that will solve the problem, as we both are fairly active gta players, and its quite disappointing that we both cannot use the same provided att router to play the same game at the same time online on two systems.

thanks for the help everyone, hopefully i'll get an answer before i leave work today, and can purchase a new router on the way home today......

....actually, will any UPnP router work for my needs?

-whoDat

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Bump.

Anyone have any ideas if simply purchasing a UPnP router will solve my issue?

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

Yes, I think the above posts are pretty clear on that point.  UPnP allows the game to negotiate with the router to open ports to the outside, then the game sends those ports to other gamers.

It's a feature of UPnP that is exploitable by malware, but maybe that'll never happen to you.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

The above posts were my own, with a bit I quoted from another thread...and the user I quoted never again posted in that thread whether or not the issue was solved, hence my creation of the thread.

Basically, my computer, tablet, televisions, and my families phones will still be using the signal from the ATT uverse provided 2wire router, and ONLY gaming consoles will be running through the secondary UPnP enabled router. As far as being exploited by malware and the like, I've been placed under the impression that if ONLY the xbox 360s/gaming consoles are running through the UPnP enabled router, they would be the only things at risk....is this correct?
Thanks for any help Jeffer and anyone else with insight.

Cheers

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

So I ended up purchasing the net gear n300 router, simply plugged it in behind the att 2wire router, hard wired my xbox 360 to it, and have my brothers 360 running on the net gear network.
Everything works just fine!

The only devices on the UPnP net gear network are the gaming consoles, everything else (MacBook, iMac, iPad and phones) is on the more secured att 2wire network.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.