do other landline POTS providers use AT&T's lines?

Contributor

do other landline POTS providers use AT&T's lines?

Do other landline POTS service providers use AT&T's lines?  For example if I had an open line with no dial tone here at the house and the cause was in the box down the road and we signed up with another company like Sage Telecom would I be able to have a landline even with AT&T's lines down?

I could not find a forum for landlines POTS so posting here. Yes some of us still prefer the dependable landline.

Message 1 of 7 (876 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: do other landline POTS providers use AT&T's lines?

Normally, POTS service is deployed over the ILEC's physical infrastructure.  The CLEC puts its equipment in the CO and the pairs are connected to the CLEC at that point.  Everything from the CO to the home is just like any ILEC line.

(ILEC means Incumbent Local Exchange Carrier, or the "original" phone company.  CLEC means Competitive Local Exchange Carrier, or the "johnny come lately" POTS company.)

For example, at my house the ILEC would be AT&T and an example CLEC would be Windstream.  My friend's house just a mile away has Frontier as an ILEC.  Although Frontier is a relatively new organization, they were spun off from Verizon (who absorbed this GTE area).

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 7 (868 Views)
Contributor

Thanks for your reply but that is all greek to me, sorry.  So let me ask more directly. Here is the problem the way I understand it. There is a dial tone coming into the box down the road from town. But no dial tone coming out of the box down the road for landline. If we had VOIP it would be working. If someone signed up with another company for landline would they be able to get a dial tone?

Message 3 of 7 (862 Views)
ACE - Expert

etxquilter - Probably not.

There is likely only one neighborhood distribution cable that is shared by att POTS, another POTS provider and u-verse. Probably shared is not a good word to describe the two POTS providers. Rather, it is either, or. U-verse is literally shared.

So, if that cable is severed, there will be no dial tone regardless of which service you have. The weakest is u-verse voice because it can fail from a cable break or an electronics failure.

If you seek a alternative back-up, consider a cable based system. It does use a different cable. But, it is only a foot away from the POTS cable & likely to break from the catastrophic event that breaks the POTS cable. Also. it is more fragile due to electronics )like u-verse voice).

Probably POTS is the most reliable, but, it can fail.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 7 (860 Views)
Contributor

Thank you for the info. What do you mean a cable based system. I thought the POTS was a cable based system. Anyways, if I am not mistaken I don't think it is a severed wire but rather an "engineering" problem.

Message 5 of 7 (858 Views)
ACE - Expert

etxquilter - By cable based system, I mean Cox or Comcast or WOW or Time Warner etc.

Yes, POTS does work on two wires that are usually bundled with others into a cable.

I was interpreting your original question as - If I had a different POTS provider than att & att failed would the other provider fail, too.

Maybe you are saying that you have att & you want someone else & you cannot get them "due to an engineering problem". I would say they wiil be delivered to your house on the same cable pair as att was, The engineering problem must be connecting the dial tone to your cable pair.
Message 6 of 7 (848 Views)

aviewer wrote:
etxquilter - By cable based system, I mean Cox or Comcast or WOW or Time Warner etc.

Yes, POTS does work on two wires that are usually bundled with others into a cable.

I was interpreting your original question as - If I had a different POTS provider than att & att failed would the other provider fail, too.

Maybe you are saying that you have att & you want someone else & you cannot get them "due to an engineering problem". I would say they wiil be delivered to your house on the same cable pair as att was, The engineering problem must be connecting the dial tone to your cable pair.

I think what the OP is saying is they currently have internet service but not phone service (thus the lack of dial tone at the home).

To the quilter:

Just because there is a dial tone at the box down the street does not mean it's your dial tone. If you currently do not have POTS phone service, there is no dial tone on your line anywhere. Not at your home, not in the box down the street, and not at the CO (central office).

I know you can have phone from AT&T and DSL from a CLEC, but not sure about the other way around. Either way, if you currently have DSL internet you can get POTS.

Not sure, but if you already have Uverse, those line sharing rules may not apply.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Message 7 of 7 (736 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Having service trouble? There is an app for that! Use our troubleshooting tool or text myATT to 8758 to download the app. It is much faster than posting on our forums. You will also find some helpful articles below.