Explore & discover

Helpful Links

When will U-verse support single sign on like direct tv on the AppleTV?

Visitor

When will U-verse support single sign on like direct tv on the AppleTV?

As a long time U-verse customer, I find it sad that att has decided to offer single sign on for DirectTV but has not said anything about supporting it on U-verse for the AppleTV. Can you shed any light on when this U-verse will support the AppleTv single sign on service?

Message 1 of 11
Visitor

Re: When will U-verse support single sign on like direct tv on the AppleTV?

this would seem like a no-brainer since AT&T is the oldest IOS supporter, and their Direct TV already supports Apple single sign on

Message 2 of 11
Teacher

I  would also like to know when U-verse will be a single-sign-on option on iOS and tvOS?

Message 3 of 11
Professor

The single sign on doesn't work for DIRECTV yet. Better to get it fixed before offering it to uverse tv customers.
Message 4 of 11
Teacher

Anyone from AT&T reading this know when U-verse will get Single Sign-On capibility with iOS and tvOS?

Message 5 of 11
Visitor

U-verse is being sunset by the end of 2018. DirectTv has better retransmission rates with content providers. The cost of distribution via satellite is cheaper allowing them to reduce the capital investment needed to keep up with bandwidth demands. People that cannot have DirectTv due to physical restrictions will be allowed to keep U-verse.
Message 6 of 11

Do you have a source saying U-Verse is being sunset? I have 20 large trees around my house, which prevents me from ever having Direct TV due to line of sight issues. 

Does this mean hundreds of thousands of customers that, like me, can’t do Direct TV due to line of sight issues or for some other reason (HOA restrictions or living in an apartment), will NEVER be getting Single Sign On support for Apple TV?

Will we be the nuclear fallout from the acquisition of Direct TV - will we be the forgotten customers? The red headed step children that they don’t want to spend money or resources on because they’ve pivoted to Direct TV and could care less for anyone that can’t get it?

Message 7 of 11
Tutor

Do you have a source saying U-Verse is being sunset? I have 20 large trees around myself, which prevents me from ever having Direct TV due to line of sight issues

[Third party link removed per Guidelines]

Message 8 of 11
Visitor

U-verse as a current iteration is being sunset. The rebroadcast fees are much higher for U-verse. Att is playing around with different models like the streaming directtv service. They’ve run into licensing issues primarily with cbs and it’s own streaming service. The ultimate result will be some sort of rebrand under on roof one transmission agreement. With a streaming satellite and fiber.
Message 9 of 11
ACE - Expert

@Lordwillbure - All this is based on what factsPlease cite.  Do you seriously think att is going to switch to all fiber and satellite distribution when (a) fiber is not going to be 100% installed everywhere att serves and (b) they are willing to lose millions of subscribers who will positively absolutely never ever switch to using a dish for a satellite feed.  The head end might share the same feeds as DTV (that's speculation on my part) but they will continue distributing the same "last mile" old copper way to those subscribers that already have such installations.  There was rumors a few years ago of a common receiver that both uverse and dtv could use but nothing new has ever publicly appeared since to back that up.

FWIW, more speculation, the only thing that might be "sunset" (to use your word) is the name "uverse".  Att has been renaming some services in the last few years so it might not be to surprising they rename "uverse" (the name) as something else. 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 10 of 11
Visitor

What I said was the current product as we know it is going to be sunset. Not the delivery. Att has stated in their quarterly and annual reports that the retransmission cost for U-verse is higher. That’s the fee they pay content creators. The plan is to go under one umbrella and use direct TVs negotiated fees. They are testing different delivery methods to reach cord cutters. The ultimate product will eventually be a Satellite fiber and or streaming delivery system.
Message 11 of 11
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support