Posted May 3, 2013
6:22:33 AM
View profile
Weekly Off-Topic Thread #284

Well yet another Friday that I have to trudge over here from DSL to start the Uverse WOTT. I'm gonna have to start hitting you guys with a service charge pretty soon.:smileywink:

It's been in the high 40's to low 50's here yesterday and today and I have to go around in shorts because Wednesday, like a dope, I went out for the first mowing and spent about 3 hours on the lawn tractor in shorts, so the outside half of both legs from midthigh down to my ankles are a nice bright pink-purple color (nearly second degree).

I gotta admit, that kind of pain all night long can make for some bazaar dreams.:smileyvery-happy:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Weekly Off-Topic Thread #284

18 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(18)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2013 7:49:39 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I'm not sure why sunburns make you dream of Persain markets.

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Weekly Off-Topic Thread #284

2 of 19 (987 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2013 7:49:39 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Holy cow, C.J.    When you start peeling that is going to be quite an event.

Thanks for the link to the service manual .pdf file.  I have downloaded it.  I have pretty much decided to keeep this new HP Envy m6.  It is a new release....not even on HP's web site yet.  I am seriously considering purchasing the dual band card for it and do the replacement myself.  But first I may go back to BB and raise a stink because their sales associates (there were 4 of them involved before I finally made my purchase) gave me wrong information regarding 5 gHz capabilities of this laptop.  Wonder if I could persuade their geek squad to do the upgrade for me...under threat that I will just return it and they'll lose the sale if they don't agree.  Hmmmmm.  Well probably not....but it'll be worth a try.

I have an acquaintance nearby who runs a PC service shop.   He really likes the Asus ultra books and compact laptops.  They bring him a lot of business.  Seems that Asus forgot to design sufficient venting into the cases of these units and then....to add to the problem....installed poor quality temperature sensors.  So....instead of just shutting down when they get too hot....like most properly designed laptops do....they just roll over and die.  He said that it is usually the video processor that bites the dust.....not the cpu.  Apparently the problem is not present in the Asus desktops....just the laptops.  So I steered away from Asus.  Sure glad that I returned that first unit that I bought.  It was an Asus.

After I get things transferred over to the new HP and have it up and rolling smoothly I shall begin my repair efforts to the keyboard on this Dell Inspiron that I'm on right now......probably will pull the 500 gb hard drive and mount it in an external case.....then reinstall the drive that came with it.  I think I have plenty of storage space now.  The new HP has a 750 gb drive.  My desktop has 1 tb.  I have a 1 tb.....a 500 gb.....and finally - a second 500 gb external drives.  Should do me for a while....even with all the thousands of photographs and thousands of feet of 8mm home movies that I have converted to digital stored on these drives....AND on DVD's.  I have complete sets of copies of the DVD's in the hands of our three sons and I'm considering placing another set of copies in a bank safe deposit box.  Haven't checked on cost yet.  That may change my mind about that.

Guess that's about enough on that topic.  Probably boring everyone.

We DID get snow.  It snowed nearly all night.  But the outdoor temperature did not drop below 32 degrees so we had quite a bit of melt.  But there was about an inch on the grass this morning.  It's disappearing quickly.  I think I stated earlier that this was the first measureable snow in the Kansas City area....as late as the month of May....in 107 years.

This world of ours... must avoid becoming a community of dreadful fear and hate, and be, instead, a proud confederation of mutual trust and respect. ........Dwight D. Eisenhower

3 of 19 (987 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2013 8:40:49 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

americangame wrote:

Yup, was looking for alternate transportation.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

4 of 19 (975 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2013 11:41:18 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Nice to hear Majic Carpet Ride again CJ, was a big fan late 60's early 70's of Steppenwolf.  Played alot of it on WFEE, Michigan State's Fee Hall radio station at that time.  We were the only Progressive Rock station in the MSU Radio Network (they all played top-40) and were the red headed stepchild because of that.  :smileyvery-happy:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

5 of 19 (952 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2013 7:09:50 PM
(0)
Employee

This one keeps bouncing around in my cranium today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB1D9wWxd2w

They installed lights above my head in my cube today. I may start to peel with all these lights now. really lit my cube up

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

6 of 19 (917 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 4, 2013 4:02:00 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Computer-Joe wrote:

americangame wrote:

CJ, if I could give you a KUDO, I would!! thumbs up

:smileywink:

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

7 of 19 (897 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 4, 2013 5:08:10 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Dcookie wrote:

Computer-Joe wrote:

americangame wrote:

Ya, me and the sun don't get along too well. When I was a little tyke I would get a blister on each shoulder the size of a small lemon when we went to the oceanfront for the afternoon if I spent more than a couple hours without a shirt on. After a few of those events, I was the only kid in the neighborhood that had to go swimming with my clothes on. Of course this was well before sunscreen and skin cancer.

I've had a couple of real doozies over the years. Once, while on a canoe trip on the Wisconsin River, I took my shoes and socks off because we kept stopping at every other sandbar and I didn't want to get my shoes wet so after taking them off and putting them back on three or four times I just left them off. Five hours later, I found out just how good the inside of the hull on an aluminum canoe works as a solar cooker. When I got to the doctor Monday morning, he said he had never seen anything like the tops of my feet in his ~40 years of practice. He said it looked more like some of the radiation burns he saw on Hiroshima survivors than a sunburn. They were mostly purple. The skin on my feet is so thin that it actually left the surface intact but cooked tissue below skin level almost a quarter inch deep. I couldn't put shoes or socks on for over a month.

neon_sign.jpg

8 of 19 (889 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 4, 2013 5:14:18 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Computer-Joe wrote:

Dcookie wrote:

Computer-Joe wrote:

americangame wrote:

Ya, me and the sun don't get along too well. When I was a little tyke I would get a blister on each shoulder the size of a small lemon when we went to the oceanfront for the afternoon if I spent more than a couple hours without a shirt on. After a few of those events, I was the only kid in the neighborhood that had to go swimming with my clothes on. Of course this was well before sunscreen and skin cancer.

I've had a couple of real doozies over the years. Once, while on a canoe trip on the Wisconsin River, I took my shoes and socks off because we kept stopping at every other sandbar and I didn't want to get my shoes wet so after taking them off and putting them back on three or four times I just left them off. Five hours later, I found out just how good the inside of the hull on an aluminum canoe works as a solar cooker. When I got to the doctor Monday morning, he said he had never seen anything like the tops of my feet in his ~40 years of practice. He said it looked more like some of the radiation burns he saw on Hiroshima survivors than a sunburn. They were mostly purple. The skin on my feet is so thin that it actually left the surface intact but cooked tissue below skin level almost a quarter inch deep. I couldn't put shoes or socks on for over a month.

OMG!!! That was BAD!! :smileysurprised: We were at the shore one time, my husband , who usually hardly ever burns and never uses sunscreen, thought he should put some on while we were by the pool. Well, that night, his legs were a nice purple color!! Huge blisters the next day! Had to get some of that Silvadene Ointment. He has never used sunscreen again. :smileytongue:

I remember using baby oil to get a tan with, back in the high school days...:smileyvery-happy:

I liked your Steppenwolf song, btw. :smileywink:

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

9 of 19 (885 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 4, 2013 6:38:44 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Dcookie wrote:
OMG!!! That was BAD!! :smileysurprised: We were at the shore one time, my husband , who usually hardly ever burns and never uses sunscreen, thought he should put some on while we were by the pool. Well, that night, his legs were a nice purple color!! Huge blisters the next day! Had to get some of that Silvadene Ointment. He has never used sunscreen again. :smileytongue:

I remember using baby oil to get a tan with, back in the high school days...:smileyvery-happy:

I'm quite the site when I go out on a boat fishing for the day. 90 degrees, and I'm out there in long pants, long sleeved shirt, big wide brimmed hat, and gloves.:smileysad: Quite the fashion statement.

neon_sign.jpg

10 of 19 (875 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 4, 2013 7:14:48 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Computer-Joe wrote:

Dcookie wrote:

I'm quite the site when I go out on a boat fishing for the day. 90 degrees, and I'm out there in long pants, long sleeved shirt, big wide brimmed hat, and gloves.:smileysad: Quite the fashion statement.

If you burn easily then that's a VERY smart choice other then using some powerful sunscreen but, personally, I hate the feel of that stuff. :smileytongue:

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

11 of 19 (867 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 5, 2013 7:12:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hpmsrm on May 5, 2013 at 7:15:09 PM

Good evening all.  Been a busy weekend.  I made my visit back to BB to chat with them about their sales folks to told me this new HP laptop came equipped with 5 gHz Wi-Fi capability.  To be honest I'm not sure these "experts" or geeks as they call themselves, really had any idea what I was talking about.  But...in any event...they were totally uninterested in adding anything to the PC.   I did decide to keep it anyway.  Everything else pretty much met my criteria and I talked to an acquaintance of mine....operator of a computer repair shop....who order a dual band card for it.  Total cost for the part is $20.  I may go ahead and pay him to install it for me.  He has been very generous with his help with no charge in the past.  I think I owe him by now.  Interestingly.....in today's Sunday BB ad in the paper.....this laptop was on sale for about $20 to $30 less than I paid for it so I'm going back to get some money back.  In the past BB has refunded the difference when something one has just purchased goes on sale.  That will just about pay for adding the 5 gHz capability to it.

Making the switch over to a new PC is a lengthy chore.  Very time consuming.  Especially when some of the serial or activation numbers no longer seem to work.

Well....onward and upward.

On the subject of sunburns.  Someday humans are going to learn just how much damage they are doing to their skin by not applying high-numbered UV blocker before exposing themselves to lots of sun.  Having a deep tan is no protection.  And...very often the deadly results of this mistake do not show up until quite a bit later in life.  My middle sun had a large melanoma removed from his back a few months ago.  He is 54.  Used to get a deep tan every summer.  Now we are holding our breath that the surgeon actually got it all and that it had not already begun to spread.  Melanoma starts on the skin but is one of the most aggressive malignancies known to medicine.  Potentially very deadly.

This world of ours... must avoid becoming a community of dreadful fear and hate, and be, instead, a proud confederation of mutual trust and respect. ........Dwight D. Eisenhower

[ Edited ]
12 of 19 (811 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2013 9:12:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hpmsrm on May 6, 2013 at 9:47:06 PM

WOW.....finally.....this big orange ball showed up in the afternoon sky.  If I recall correctly it is call the "SUN".  Then the temp. soared and we topped out at 77 degrees.  We have small rivers running through several of the neighbors' yards.  I've been tempted to make up some names and post signs next to the sidewalk....naming these little streams.  But....the neighbors might not appreciate my humor.

I decided to keep the HP Envy m6 laptop.  Dual band wireless card is ordered for it and will get that installed in place of the single band card in a week or so.  HP has all the files for restoration of the PC to its original condition from the factory.  But they're located in a special partition on the hard drive so if it crashes....a heck of a lot of good they'll do the owner.   So HP provides the ability to make just 1 and only 1 set of DVD's from that partition.  OR one can choose to put the files on a 32 megabyte flash drive.  When I tried to make my disk set the app. they use would not do it.  Kept crapping out before finishing even the first disk.  So I called support.  HP is sending me a free set of the disks.  It turns out that this Envy m6 series is a special, higher end, laptops.  Owners even have access to a special section of support techs.  I was taken care of by a very nice lady.....stateside....perfect English.....very sweet and helpful.  It was a much better experience than trying to communicate with those to characters I had to deal with last week.  I could only barely undertand them and they had to repeat everything they said several times.  Anyway....looks like things will probably turn out well.  This unit has the i5 Intel processor....8 gb of RAM....750 gigabyte HDD.  Fairly decent video setup but my memory fails me.  I've had too much to remember these last few days.  I'll tell you one thing....when you shop at BB you had better have already done your research and know exactly what you want because their sales staff, for the most part, is clueless.  How can they expect to help customers if they don't know their products?

The new furnace/heat pump/AC seems to be performing well.  It's taking me a while to get used to seeing the exhaust steam coming out of the new flue in the side of the house...right under the overhang.....instead of from the flu up on the roof.  That only happens when it's running on gas.  When the heat pump is on, of course, nothing comes out of that sidewall flue pipe.  Well....we'll be running on A/C all the time before long.  It's a 3 ton unit so we should be cool enough this hot summer.

All these cooler temperatures we have been having coupled with all the rain has our grass growing at a phenominal rate.  We're having to mow every three days.tn15.jpg

I swear.....if dandelions were a cash crop.....some of our neighbors would be millionaires:

Behold:      IMG_20130501_094639_864A.jpg

[ Edited ]
13 of 19 (770 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2013 12:02:08 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I'm trying to remove the dandilions from my front yard.  One at a time.  By hand.  Probably be doing for the next three years.  Roundup is looking better, but I want the grass to grow in the holes.

14 of 19 (734 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 8, 2013 9:47:36 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hpmsrm on May 8, 2013 at 10:01:59 AM

We have our yard treated with weed killer and fertilizer each spring.  Now we have nearly all the weeds gone.  A good, healthy stand of grass is one of the most effective weapons against weeds.....dandilions in particular.  Now all I do is patrol the yard every couple of weeks and hit any weed that dares to intrude with a shot from my bottle of Weed-Be-Gone.  Last year's drought was a real blow to a lot of yards.  We got through it without really severe damage.  Some bare spots.  However this spring has been so wet that the grass is filling in those spots and all-in-all the yard is looking pretty good.   I gave up digging out dandilions a long time ago.  If you don't get all the root it will just come back.  That little plant is truly a biological miracle.

All those plants I showed in my earlier picture of the neighbor's yard have now turned to the white heads with millions of tiny seeds which will blow all over their yard and into the neighbors' yards.  Quite a large number of the homes in this area did not sell or were taken over by the banks back during the worst of the economy crunch.  Now many of them are rentals and these folks just don't give a darn what their yard looks like.  Nor do they give a hoot how their negligence affects their neighbors.Smiley - Very Angry.gif  OK on Roundup, Jeffer.  I use it on the weeds that show uip each year in the seam between our curbing and the street and in the seams between the sections of our concrete driveway and sidewalk.  One treatment usually is enough for one year.

Back to my new notebook PC.  Does anyone have any idea how to successfully transfer a large list of bookmarks from one PC to another?  I thought I had it solved.  But I seemed to have lost some of the sites that I like to visit.  Guess I'm fortunate that is the only real problem I've had with the switch over from my old Dell.

More rain coming.  40% chancetoday....80% tomorrow.  Think I'd better go buy some swim fins.

Oh....I almost forgot....my wife read part of a newspaper article to me yesterday that related how Adobe will begin in June to RENT their major software products rather than sell them.  The user will have to pay monthly or annual rental fee.  Downside....it will get super expensive for amateur photographers like a lot of us.....on the upside....when new version comes along the upgrade and updates probably won't cost anything additional.  They've experimented with this approach over the last year or so.  But outright purchase was still possible.  I sure hope they don't take this approach with their less expensive PhotoShop Elements program which is aimed at the amateur market.  Adobe is going to find themselves with only pros and corporations as their customer base.  I don't believe amateurs will go for the rental concept.  Corel's Paint Shop Photo Pro is an excellent alternative to PhotoShop.  I have version X4.  The latest is X5.  It is an excellent app and even has some features that PhotoShop Elements does not have.

[ Edited ]
15 of 19 (694 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 8, 2013 11:27:14 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

So we've been in the market for updating our energy provider contract for a while now and I decided to stick with reliant and get thier "Learn and conserve" plan which comes with the new Nest thermostat.  So far I'm impressed with the device.  It's nice to be able to monitor my usage and adjust the temperature at the house without being there.  The big plus is that recently my wife has been complaing that our (now old) programmable thermostat wasn't set correctly and we would have to adjust the temperature when we got home, went to bed, etc. So I'm hoping that with the new fancy thermostat we'll be able to get it adjusted correctly without any major effort from either of us.

Not to mention there's apparently a new service coming soon that Reliant will pay us $0.80/kwhr for avoiding using our ac during major peak hours when we aren't at home this summer. 

-------

16 of 19 (680 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 8, 2013 9:43:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hpmsrm on May 8, 2013 at 9:45:07 PM

That thermostat sounds interesting A.G.

We also got a new one with our newly installed furnace/heat pump/AC.  But I declined the programmable version.  Since I am retired....our schedule is very irregular.  It is impossible to lock in a specific time when we would want our home temp. to be raised or lowered.  When we were working.....that was not a problem.  Our thermostat is in the hallway so I just stop by and lower the temp at night or step it up in the daytime....for winter.  In summer, of course, it's just the opposite.  I think.

Good thing we're out of the heating season. the water supply valve to the humidifier was a 24 volt s-lonoid (stupid word filter) and the dunderheads connected it to a 120 volt supply from the furnace control board.  Of course it was fried the first time we turned it on.  So parts are ordered.  But warmer weather now pretty much negates the need for a humidifier.  I hope the company knows that they are paying for the parts.:smileyhappy:

[ Edited ]
17 of 19 (638 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 9, 2013 6:54:46 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

hpm you shoudl really look into how your heating and cooling costs could be improved by having a programmable thermostat. Humans are creatures of habit and believe it or not you still do some stuff at the same time everyday that could help your power bill out if you set the thermostat on a small schedule.  You probably go to bed around the same time every night and wake up in the morning around the same time every day. Little things like that can save you some serious cash on your power bill.

-------

18 of 19 (615 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2013 11:37:20 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I got this jewel when I had my new A/C Heat Pump installed in March.  3.5 ton unit.  Changed the inside unit also.  It's a 15.5 SEER unit so I hope to see major savings come this summer when we are at 100 degree days.

Honeywell Wi-Fi Programmable Touchscreen Thermostat + Free App

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

19 of 19 (597 Views)