Weekly Off-Topic Thread #283

Weekly Off-Topic Thread #283

[ Edited ]

Woo-Hoo, it's Friday again.

Well, momma's new quilting machine showed up yesterday. They had to bring half of it through the basement window because some parts were too long.

Back when she placed her order, they told her she needed a dedicated circuit for the machine, so about a week ago, I started the investigation as to how I was going to do that.

Big mistake. Talk about opening a can of worms. Turns out the whole house needs rewiring. Between conduit, wire, breakers and a new sub-panel I'm up to ~$600 in materials, and that's just for the basement.

When I was investigating, the first thing I found, was they had the entire basement on 5 hots and 2 neutrals (including the sump pump and furnace). The first 4 by 4 conduit box I opened, had 7 wire nuts and one wire nut had 6 neutrals under it.

The ground floor is even worse. It's all run on 6 hots and 3 neutrals for 42 outlets, 14 ceiling fixtures, 7 outdoor lights, garbage disposal, dishwasher, and microwave oven.

Looks like about a weeks work up in the attic, for a dilapidated old f*a*r*t (can we bring the ridiculous word filter out of the 18th century, please) like me anyway, pulling new wire up from the basement and redistributing circuits. If I'm lucky.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Message 1 of 23 (936 Views)

Re: Weekly Off-Topic Thread #283

Our house was the same way. We more than tripled the size of the panel. The basement was all on one breaker while the dishwasher, stove, washer and furnace were all on one. Luckily for me, the spouse is a professional electrician. Of course, that also means he wants the best(most expensive) replacements. Basement is completely rewired along with the washer/furnace etc combo. Need another 1K to finish. Someday....

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Message 2 of 23 (932 Views)
ACE - Expert

Computer-Joe - Look on the bright side - Of all the possible ways to find out about inadequate wiring, this is by far the best.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 23 (922 Views)
ACE - Professor

Eek that sounds like a nightmare Joe. Reminds me of the time helped my parents wire their new house. Of course since I was the young one I was in the attic running the cable.

I still need help voting for my entry for the new salad bowls name on Facebook.  If you feel like helping, go to http://bit.ly/MOOYAHThinkTank like the page, and vote for Grazers.

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 23 (910 Views)

aviewer wrote:
Computer-Joe - Look on the bright side - Of all the possible ways to find out about inadequate wiring, this is by far the best.

Our last house, that was the first thing after the roof that I had to do. They had a contracter in back in the late eighties that replaced the old fuse panel with a 100 amp breaker panel, put up conduit and new wire in the basement and stopped there and tied in all the first and second floor, which was still wired with knob and tube or cloth romex. They had 15 and 20 amp breakers on circuits that should not have even had 10 amps on them. When we bought the place in 92, I think I put about 1000 feet of new BX into that place.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Message 5 of 23 (909 Views)
ACE - Expert

I have seen that knob & tube - scary.
Regarding the work - Reminds me of a friend at work - When it got hairy resolving software issues he would say - "Beats bending conduit in the snow."
Message 6 of 23 (895 Views)

Message 7 of 23 (849 Views)
ACE - Professor

So... who hasn't voted for my entry this weekend?  I'm barely ahead so I need all the votes I can get.

http://bit.ly/MOOYAHThinkTank

-------

Message 8 of 23 (830 Views)

[ Edited ]

Taylarie wrote:

Our house was the same way. We more than tripled the size of the panel. The basement was all on one breaker while the dishwasher, stove, washer and furnace were all on one. Luckily for me, the spouse is a professional electrician. Of course, that also means he wants the best(most expensive) replacements. Basement is completely rewired along with the washer/furnace etc combo. Need another 1K to finish. Someday....

With mine, I just added a subpanel to pick up the extra circuits and new wiring. That way I could do all the work without having to kill the power for a day or  two.

I put all the existing and new basement circuits and all the 240 volt breakers in the new panel. Now I get to straighten up the old panel and add all the new circuits for the ground floor.

Here's a shot of the two panels, can you guess which one is the new one.Smiley Wink

Sorry, can't insert my image, so here's the link: http://comp-joe.com/photobucket/GEDC0466A.jpg

Message 9 of 23 (815 Views)
Expert

I bet your wife is in her glory with her new machine. Smiley Happy

Speaking of old houses and wiring, UGH....that's how our place is...some of that old knob and tube and some VX and some romex...what a nightmare!! 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Message 10 of 23 (798 Views)

Computer-Joe wrote:

Taylarie wrote:

With mine, I just added a subpanel to pick up the extra circuits and new wiring. That way I could do all the work without having to kill the power for a day or  two.

I put all the existing and new basement circuits and all the 240 volt breakers in the new panel. Now I get to straighten up the old panel and add all the new circuits for the ground floor.

Here's a shot of the two panels, can you guess which one is the new one.Smiley Wink

Sorry, can't insert my image, so here's the link: http://comp-joe.com/photobucket/GEDC0466A.jpg

You can definitely see which is the old and which is the new. Hubby said we didn't have enough power COMING to the house so also put in a new service out at the electrical box outside. I'll have to grab a pic and share.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Message 11 of 23 (783 Views)

Taylarie wrote:

Computer-Joe wrote:

Taylarie wrote:

You can definitely see which is the old and which is the new. Hubby said we didn't have enough power COMING to the house so also put in a new service out at the electrical box outside. I'll have to grab a pic and share.

With mine the 100 amp service was sufficient, just too many things daisy-chained on circuits. I can't use the vacuum cleaner in the living room because my office is on the same circuit and the vacuum and all my computers and other equipment pop the breaker.Smiley Mad Same with the family room, because we use an infrared space heater in there, that and the entertainment center prohibit plugging in the vacuum in that room without remembering to either turn the TV off or the space heater, and of course when the family room breaker goes so does at least half the kitchen.

Message 12 of 23 (767 Views)
ACE - Professor

So my entry is in a runnoff with number 2. Vting ends Wenesday at noon so please please please go vote before noon tomorrow so you can vote again efore voting closes Wednesday.

http://bit.ly/MOOYAHThinkTank

-------

Message 13 of 23 (747 Views)
ACE - Professor

Less than 24 hous of voting left.  If you voted yesterday please please pleasetray again today.  All I need is one vote for everyone who sees this to win. I swear I'll stop pushing after noon tomorrow.

http://bit.ly/MOOYAHThinkTank  (like the page to see the entries)

-------

Message 14 of 23 (728 Views)
ACE - Professor

americangame wrote:

Less than 24 hous of voting left.  If you voted yesterday please please pleasetray again today.  All I need is one vote for everyone who sees this to win. I swear I'll stop pushing after noon tomorrow.

http://bit.ly/MOOYAHThinkTank  (like the page to see the entries)

Last 4 hours. Please vtoe fi you haven't done so since yesterday morning.

-------

Message 15 of 23 (702 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Having service trouble? There is an app for that! Use our troubleshooting tool or text myATT to 8758 to download the app. It is much faster than posting on our forums. You will also find some helpful articles below.