Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Apr 26, 2013
6:14:26 AM
Weekly Off-Topic Thread #283
Edited by Computer-Joe on Apr 26, 2013 at 6:19:03 AM

Woo-Hoo, it's Friday again.

Well, momma's new quilting machine showed up yesterday. They had to bring half of it through the basement window because some parts were too long.

Back when she placed her order, they told her she needed a dedicated circuit for the machine, so about a week ago, I started the investigation as to how I was going to do that.

Big mistake. Talk about opening a can of worms. Turns out the whole house needs rewiring. Between conduit, wire, breakers and a new sub-panel I'm up to ~$600 in materials, and that's just for the basement.

When I was investigating, the first thing I found, was they had the entire basement on 5 hots and 2 neutrals (including the sump pump and furnace). The first 4 by 4 conduit box I opened, had 7 wire nuts and one wire nut had 6 neutrals under it.

The ground floor is even worse. It's all run on 6 hots and 3 neutrals for 42 outlets, 14 ceiling fixtures, 7 outdoor lights, garbage disposal, dishwasher, and microwave oven.

Looks like about a weeks work up in the attic, for a dilapidated old f*a*r*t (can we bring the ridiculous word filter out of the 18th century, please) like me anyway, pulling new wire up from the basement and redistributing circuits. If I'm lucky.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Woo-Hoo, it's Friday again.

Well, momma's new quilting machine showed up yesterday. They had to bring half of it through the basement window because some parts were too long.

Back when she placed her order, they told her she needed a dedicated circuit for the machine, so about a week ago, I started the investigation as to how I was going to do that.

Big mistake. Talk about opening a can of worms. Turns out the whole house needs rewiring. Between conduit, wire, breakers and a new sub-panel I'm up to ~$600 in materials, and that's just for the basement.

When I was investigating, the first thing I found, was they had the entire basement on 5 hots and 2 neutrals (including the sump pump and furnace). The first 4 by 4 conduit box I opened, had 7 wire nuts and one wire nut had 6 neutrals under it.

The ground floor is even worse. It's all run on 6 hots and 3 neutrals for 42 outlets, 14 ceiling fixtures, 7 outdoor lights, garbage disposal, dishwasher, and microwave oven.

Looks like about a weeks work up in the attic, for a dilapidated old f*a*r*t (can we bring the ridiculous word filter out of the 18th century, please) like me anyway, pulling new wire up from the basement and redistributing circuits. If I'm lucky.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

Weekly Off-Topic Thread #283

[ Edited ]
22 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(22)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2013 6:29:26 AM
(0)

Our house was the same way. We more than tripled the size of the panel. The basement was all on one breaker while the dishwasher, stove, washer and furnace were all on one. Luckily for me, the spouse is a professional electrician. Of course, that also means he wants the best(most expensive) replacements. Basement is completely rewired along with the washer/furnace etc combo. Need another 1K to finish. Someday....

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Our house was the same way. We more than tripled the size of the panel. The basement was all on one breaker while the dishwasher, stove, washer and furnace were all on one. Luckily for me, the spouse is a professional electrician. Of course, that also means he wants the best(most expensive) replacements. Basement is completely rewired along with the washer/furnace etc combo. Need another 1K to finish. Someday....

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Re: Weekly Off-Topic Thread #283

2 of 23 (906 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2013 6:52:45 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Computer-Joe - Look on the bright side - Of all the possible ways to find out about inadequate wiring, this is by far the best.
Computer-Joe - Look on the bright side - Of all the possible ways to find out about inadequate wiring, this is by far the best.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 23 (896 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2013 7:47:58 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Eek that sounds like a nightmare Joe. Reminds me of the time helped my parents wire their new house. Of course since I was the young one I was in the attic running the cable.

I still need help voting for my entry for the new salad bowls name on Facebook.  If you feel like helping, go to http://bit.ly/MOOYAHThinkTank like the page, and vote for Grazers.

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.

Eek that sounds like a nightmare Joe. Reminds me of the time helped my parents wire their new house. Of course since I was the young one I was in the attic running the cable.

I still need help voting for my entry for the new salad bowls name on Facebook.  If you feel like helping, go to http://bit.ly/MOOYAHThinkTank like the page, and vote for Grazers.

-------

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 23 (884 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2013 7:59:33 AM
(0)
Master

aviewer wrote:

Our last house, that was the first thing after the roof that I had to do. They had a contracter in back in the late eighties that replaced the old fuse panel with a 100 amp breaker panel, put up conduit and new wire in the basement and stopped there and tied in all the first and second floor, which was still wired with knob and tube or cloth romex. They had 15 and 20 amp breakers on circuits that should not have even had 10 amps on them. When we bought the place in 92, I think I put about 1000 feet of new BX into that place.

aviewer wrote:

Our last house, that was the first thing after the roof that I had to do. They had a contracter in back in the late eighties that replaced the old fuse panel with a 100 amp breaker panel, put up conduit and new wire in the basement and stopped there and tied in all the first and second floor, which was still wired with knob and tube or cloth romex. They had 15 and 20 amp breakers on circuits that should not have even had 10 amps on them. When we bought the place in 92, I think I put about 1000 feet of new BX into that place.

neon_sign.jpg

5 of 23 (883 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2013 11:00:06 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
I have seen that knob & tube - scary.
Regarding the work - Reminds me of a friend at work - When it got hairy resolving software issues he would say - "Beats bending conduit in the snow."
I have seen that knob & tube - scary.
Regarding the work - Reminds me of a friend at work - When it got hairy resolving software issues he would say - "Beats bending conduit in the snow."

6 of 23 (869 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2013 11:42:25 PM
(0)
Moved for better exposure

Phil-101 • Community Moderator
Remember to always mark posts that resolved your issue with Accept as Solution.
You can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.
This will help other users find this information too!

7 of 23 (823 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 27, 2013 12:56:09 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

So... who hasn't voted for my entry this weekend?  I'm barely ahead so I need all the votes I can get.

http://bit.ly/MOOYAHThinkTank

-------

So... who hasn't voted for my entry this weekend?  I'm barely ahead so I need all the votes I can get.

-------

8 of 23 (804 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2013 4:51:27 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by Computer-Joe on Apr 28, 2013 at 5:08:50 AM

Taylarie wrote:

With mine, I just added a subpanel to pick up the extra circuits and new wiring. That way I could do all the work without having to kill the power for a day or  two.

I put all the existing and new basement circuits and all the 240 volt breakers in the new panel. Now I get to straighten up the old panel and add all the new circuits for the ground floor.

Here's a shot of the two panels, can you guess which one is the new one.Smiley Wink

Sorry, can't insert my image, so here's the link: http://comp-joe.com/photobucket/GEDC0466A.jpg

Taylarie wrote:

With mine, I just added a subpanel to pick up the extra circuits and new wiring. That way I could do all the work without having to kill the power for a day or  two.

I put all the existing and new basement circuits and all the 240 volt breakers in the new panel. Now I get to straighten up the old panel and add all the new circuits for the ground floor.

Here's a shot of the two panels, can you guess which one is the new one.Smiley Wink

Sorry, can't insert my image, so here's the link: http://comp-joe.com/photobucket/GEDC0466A.jpg

neon_sign.jpg

[ Edited ]
9 of 23 (789 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2013 6:05:07 AM
(0)
Expert

I bet your wife is in her glory with her new machine. Smiley Happy

Speaking of old houses and wiring, UGH....that's how our place is...some of that old knob and tube and some VX and some romex...what a nightmare!! 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

I bet your wife is in her glory with her new machine. Smiley Happy

Speaking of old houses and wiring, UGH....that's how our place is...some of that old knob and tube and some VX and some romex...what a nightmare!! 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

10 of 23 (772 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2013 8:10:42 AM
(0)

Computer-Joe wrote:

Taylarie wrote:

You can definitely see which is the old and which is the new. Hubby said we didn't have enough power COMING to the house so also put in a new service out at the electrical box outside. I'll have to grab a pic and share.

Computer-Joe wrote:

Taylarie wrote:

You can definitely see which is the old and which is the new. Hubby said we didn't have enough power COMING to the house so also put in a new service out at the electrical box outside. I'll have to grab a pic and share.

11 of 23 (757 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2013 9:24:14 AM
(0)
Master

Taylarie wrote:

Computer-Joe wrote:

Taylarie wrote:

With mine the 100 amp service was sufficient, just too many things daisy-chained on circuits. I can't use the vacuum cleaner in the living room because my office is on the same circuit and the vacuum and all my computers and other equipment pop the breaker.Smiley Mad Same with the family room, because we use an infrared space heater in there, that and the entertainment center prohibit plugging in the vacuum in that room without remembering to either turn the TV off or the space heater, and of course when the family room breaker goes so does at least half the kitchen.

Taylarie wrote:

Computer-Joe wrote:

Taylarie wrote:

With mine the 100 amp service was sufficient, just too many things daisy-chained on circuits. I can't use the vacuum cleaner in the living room because my office is on the same circuit and the vacuum and all my computers and other equipment pop the breaker.Smiley Mad Same with the family room, because we use an infrared space heater in there, that and the entertainment center prohibit plugging in the vacuum in that room without remembering to either turn the TV off or the space heater, and of course when the family room breaker goes so does at least half the kitchen.

neon_sign.jpg

12 of 23 (741 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2013 3:01:36 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

So my entry is in a runnoff with number 2. Vting ends Wenesday at noon so please please please go vote before noon tomorrow so you can vote again efore voting closes Wednesday.

-------

So my entry is in a runnoff with number 2. Vting ends Wenesday at noon so please please please go vote before noon tomorrow so you can vote again efore voting closes Wednesday.

-------

13 of 23 (721 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 30, 2013 1:35:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Less than 24 hous of voting left.  If you voted yesterday please please pleasetray again today.  All I need is one vote for everyone who sees this to win. I swear I'll stop pushing after noon tomorrow.

http://bit.ly/MOOYAHThinkTank  (like the page to see the entries)

-------

Less than 24 hous of voting left.  If you voted yesterday please please pleasetray again today.  All I need is one vote for everyone who sees this to win. I swear I'll stop pushing after noon tomorrow.

-------

14 of 23 (702 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2013 6:12:52 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

americangame wrote:

Last 4 hours. Please vtoe fi you haven't done so since yesterday morning.

-------

americangame wrote:

-------

15 of 23 (676 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2013 7:06:30 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by Computer-Joe on May 1, 2013 at 7:07:32 AM

americangame wrote:

americangame wrote:

Boy you really are shameless.Smiley Very Happy

You should be on the campaign trail for a political office.Smiley LOL

americangame wrote:

americangame wrote:

Boy you really are shameless.Smiley Very Happy

You should be on the campaign trail for a political office.Smiley LOL

neon_sign.jpg

[ Edited ]
16 of 23 (669 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2013 9:47:08 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Fascinating......working on these older homes.  But I have no desire to get involved in that sort of thing anymore.  Too much bending, climbing, kneeling, crawling....etc.....for this arthritic body.

I am in a quandry and I need some help.  This laptop is acting strangely.  Keyboard is misbehaving...and now it occasionally serenades me with repeated beeps at the point between the opening screen and onset of Windows booting up.  I pulled and reseated the memory sticks and did the same with the hard drive.....hoping that it was only a bad connection that had worsened over time.  Indeed....several days with no further trouble seemed to indicate that I had solved the problem.  Alas....this morning I was greeted with more beeps before I got it to boot up properly.  So now....is it a failing hard drive?  Or perhaps the bios back up lithium battery is failing?  Who knows.  5 yr. old Dell laptop.  Good excuse to get a new one.   AND therein lies the other problem.  I refuse to purchas a new laptop that is not capable of dual band Wi-Fi operation.  But there are still lots of them out there that operate only on the 2.4 gHz band.  I'm fed up wrestling with dual band USB adapters which are very vulnerable to damage.  I found a really nice Asus small laptop today that seemed to meet all my requirements....including my minimum 500 gb hard drive.   But after I got it home I discovered that it was capable of wireless function only on the lower band.  So back it went to the store.   Now I have a question.  Please someone help me.    When studying the descriptions of the features of various units on the manufacturers web sites.....how do I interpret the mess of abbreviations to tell if any particular laptop has dual band capability?   Help please.

The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other peoples' money. .......Margaret Thatcher

Fascinating......working on these older homes.  But I have no desire to get involved in that sort of thing anymore.  Too much bending, climbing, kneeling, crawling....etc.....for this arthritic body.

I am in a quandry and I need some help.  This laptop is acting strangely.  Keyboard is misbehaving...and now it occasionally serenades me with repeated beeps at the point between the opening screen and onset of Windows booting up.  I pulled and reseated the memory sticks and did the same with the hard drive.....hoping that it was only a bad connection that had worsened over time.  Indeed....several days with no further trouble seemed to indicate that I had solved the problem.  Alas....this morning I was greeted with more beeps before I got it to boot up properly.  So now....is it a failing hard drive?  Or perhaps the bios back up lithium battery is failing?  Who knows.  5 yr. old Dell laptop.  Good excuse to get a new one.   AND therein lies the other problem.  I refuse to purchas a new laptop that is not capable of dual band Wi-Fi operation.  But there are still lots of them out there that operate only on the 2.4 gHz band.  I'm fed up wrestling with dual band USB adapters which are very vulnerable to damage.  I found a really nice Asus small laptop today that seemed to meet all my requirements....including my minimum 500 gb hard drive.   But after I got it home I discovered that it was capable of wireless function only on the lower band.  So back it went to the store.   Now I have a question.  Please someone help me.    When studying the descriptions of the features of various units on the manufacturers web sites.....how do I interpret the mess of abbreviations to tell if any particular laptop has dual band capability?   Help please.

The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other peoples' money. .......Margaret Thatcher

17 of 23 (641 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2013 4:22:31 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
hpmsrm - Seems like the dual band should be ubiquitous. Should be easy to find comparison or at least specification.

But, a quick search says it is one of those cases where the commonly used description does not even begin to describe the detailed operation.

Dual band seems to be two frequencies are available. But, I bet you want to use them automatically at the same time.

Maybe, this is dual band wi-fi. Could it be simultaneous dual band w-fi. Or, maybe it is not that simple.

Looks like you will have to dig deep to answer this question. Probably the first step is to define what operation you are looking for. Those words might help to find (google) it.

Here is one link I found on first searching. Maybe it will help. Maybe it will make you crazy.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1917692
hpmsrm - Seems like the dual band should be ubiquitous. Should be easy to find comparison or at least specification.

But, a quick search says it is one of those cases where the commonly used description does not even begin to describe the detailed operation.

Dual band seems to be two frequencies are available. But, I bet you want to use them automatically at the same time.

Maybe, this is dual band wi-fi. Could it be simultaneous dual band w-fi. Or, maybe it is not that simple.

Looks like you will have to dig deep to answer this question. Probably the first step is to define what operation you are looking for. Those words might help to find (google) it.

Here is one link I found on first searching. Maybe it will help. Maybe it will make you crazy.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1917692

18 of 23 (625 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2013 5:40:17 AM
(0)
Master

hpmsrm wrote:

Hey Phil if it's Intel wireless, you should be able to look up the chip number for the wireless on Intel's website.

As well the wireless in most laptops is replaceable. If you flip the laptop over, normally there will be at least two covers that can be removed. One for the RAM and one for the wireless (and sometimes dial-up modem). The wireless is what is called a mini PCI Express card and will have two little wires coming off of it. The two wires pop off and the card should come out similar to the way the RAM does. You can go to New Egg or Tiger Direct and order the dual band wireless card.

For your old laptop the beeping you here is what is called the Post Codes. The pattern of the beeps is supposed to indicate the problem. If you can give me the service tag number I should be able to locate the info on the Post Codes.

If it's the keyboard, you can clean them, but you'll have to remove it first. This is rather easy to do If you'd like instructions let me know.

hpmsrm wrote:

Hey Phil if it's Intel wireless, you should be able to look up the chip number for the wireless on Intel's website.

As well the wireless in most laptops is replaceable. If you flip the laptop over, normally there will be at least two covers that can be removed. One for the RAM and one for the wireless (and sometimes dial-up modem). The wireless is what is called a mini PCI Express card and will have two little wires coming off of it. The two wires pop off and the card should come out similar to the way the RAM does. You can go to New Egg or Tiger Direct and order the dual band wireless card.

For your old laptop the beeping you here is what is called the Post Codes. The pattern of the beeps is supposed to indicate the problem. If you can give me the service tag number I should be able to locate the info on the Post Codes.

If it's the keyboard, you can clean them, but you'll have to remove it first. This is rather easy to do If you'd like instructions let me know.

neon_sign.jpg

19 of 23 (609 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2013 9:12:56 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Computer-Joe wrote:

hpmsrm wrote:

Wish I could give you a KUDO on here, C.J.      OK....here goes.  This laptop is a Dell Inspiron, 1525.  The service tag # is C48XPF1       There is also an Express Service Code # on this little label and that is: 26378262253.  I don't know if you need that one.

I have made only two modifications on this unit.  #1  I added RAM to bring it up to the maximum of 4 gb.   #2  I switched out the hard drive and installed a 500 gb drive.  The computer originally was equipped with a 250 gb drive.  Those two modifications were made shortly after I bought it back in 2008.  That replacement hard drive is a Hitachi 7200 rpm unit so it is not only larger than the original but also quicker.

RE the keyboard.  Well....don't know if I have the courage to dive into that one or not.  Guess I can take a deep breath and give it a try.  I've searched for screws to remove or some way to un-snap the cover that holds the keyboard in place but I have not found anything....not even screw hole caps that might give away their location.

I've owned several laptops over the years....about 4 I think.  This Dell has been the best.  Up until now it has never given me any trouble.  Just keeps chugging away.

One of the new units I've given some consideration to is the Lenovo Twist.  THAT is quite a laptop.  The screen can turn 180 degrees and fold down over the keyboard to create a tablet....albeit a bit heavy tablet....at about 3 lbs.

I just wish that these companies, and the businesses that sell their products, would be more thorough in providing more information in their specifications.....like, for example, is the wireless dual band or not.  At my age this just might be the last PC I ever buy and, by darn, it's going to be equipped like I want it or I ain't gonna part with my cash.  I find it hard to believe that these outfits are not routinely providing 5 gHz capability.   But then....even AT&T refuses to budge away from the over-crowded 2.4 gHz band.

On another subject:  My wife just read an article to me that reports tablet shipments have soared in the first quarter of this year.  40% of Americans now own at least one tablet computer.  WOW!   iPad is #1 at 39% (but that is down from 52% in 1st quarter of last year)....Samsung is #2 (18% - up from 11.2% last year).  Asus' Nexus.....Kindle Fire by Amazon and Microsoft's Surface line round out the top five.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me, C.J.  It is very much appreciated.

Computer-Joe wrote:

hpmsrm wrote:

Wish I could give you a KUDO on here, C.J.      OK....here goes.  This laptop is a Dell Inspiron, 1525.  The service tag # is C48XPF1       There is also an Express Service Code # on this little label and that is: 26378262253.  I don't know if you need that one.

I have made only two modifications on this unit.  #1  I added RAM to bring it up to the maximum of 4 gb.   #2  I switched out the hard drive and installed a 500 gb drive.  The computer originally was equipped with a 250 gb drive.  Those two modifications were made shortly after I bought it back in 2008.  That replacement hard drive is a Hitachi 7200 rpm unit so it is not only larger than the original but also quicker.

RE the keyboard.  Well....don't know if I have the courage to dive into that one or not.  Guess I can take a deep breath and give it a try.  I've searched for screws to remove or some way to un-snap the cover that holds the keyboard in place but I have not found anything....not even screw hole caps that might give away their location.

I've owned several laptops over the years....about 4 I think.  This Dell has been the best.  Up until now it has never given me any trouble.  Just keeps chugging away.

One of the new units I've given some consideration to is the Lenovo Twist.  THAT is quite a laptop.  The screen can turn 180 degrees and fold down over the keyboard to create a tablet....albeit a bit heavy tablet....at about 3 lbs.

I just wish that these companies, and the businesses that sell their products, would be more thorough in providing more information in their specifications.....like, for example, is the wireless dual band or not.  At my age this just might be the last PC I ever buy and, by darn, it's going to be equipped like I want it or I ain't gonna part with my cash.  I find it hard to believe that these outfits are not routinely providing 5 gHz capability.   But then....even AT&T refuses to budge away from the over-crowded 2.4 gHz band.

On another subject:  My wife just read an article to me that reports tablet shipments have soared in the first quarter of this year.  40% of Americans now own at least one tablet computer.  WOW!   iPad is #1 at 39% (but that is down from 52% in 1st quarter of last year)....Samsung is #2 (18% - up from 11.2% last year).  Asus' Nexus.....Kindle Fire by Amazon and Microsoft's Surface line round out the top five.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me, C.J.  It is very much appreciated.

20 of 23 (594 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2013 1:55:42 PM
(0)
Master

OK Phil, I haven't found the post codes yet, but here's the service manual. They keyboard removal is pretty straight forward, but you have to remove the center control cover first.

After removing the keyboard you can start the cleaning by blasting it with compressed air. If using the cans of air make sure you hold the can upright or you'll get extremely cold liquid, which can give you frost-bite, or possibly crack part of the keyboard. If using a compressor make sure that there is a filter/dryer on the output of the compressor.

Once you have the keyboard blown out, take it to the kitchen sink, turn on the hot water until it's as hot as it gets. Then grasp the keyboard by the right edge and let it hang straight down into the sink, then using the sink sprayer, start spraying the face of the keyboard working in a sweeping motion from where you're holding it downward. Do that a few times, then grasp it from the left edge and repeat. Once you're done hosing it down, tap the edge on a towel a few time to knock off excess water, then use the compressed air to drive any other water out from under the keys.

Next, take a blow dryer and laying the keyboard face down on the counter heat the metal back-plate of the keyboard until it's hot to the touch (but not enough to burn you). Now flip it face up on a towel and let it sit for an hour then repeat two or three more times.

Now just reinstall it.Smiley Happy

OK Phil, I haven't found the post codes yet, but here's the service manual. They keyboard removal is pretty straight forward, but you have to remove the center control cover first.

After removing the keyboard you can start the cleaning by blasting it with compressed air. If using the cans of air make sure you hold the can upright or you'll get extremely cold liquid, which can give you frost-bite, or possibly crack part of the keyboard. If using a compressor make sure that there is a filter/dryer on the output of the compressor.

Once you have the keyboard blown out, take it to the kitchen sink, turn on the hot water until it's as hot as it gets. Then grasp the keyboard by the right edge and let it hang straight down into the sink, then using the sink sprayer, start spraying the face of the keyboard working in a sweeping motion from where you're holding it downward. Do that a few times, then grasp it from the left edge and repeat. Once you're done hosing it down, tap the edge on a towel a few time to knock off excess water, then use the compressed air to drive any other water out from under the keys.

Next, take a blow dryer and laying the keyboard face down on the counter heat the metal back-plate of the keyboard until it's hot to the touch (but not enough to burn you). Now flip it face up on a towel and let it sit for an hour then repeat two or three more times.

neon_sign.jpg

21 of 23 (575 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2013 8:03:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Computer-Joe wrote:

Was there supposed to be a link to a service manual in this last post, C.J.?

Today I made another trip to the store....this time BB.  Found a very nice, fairly high powered HP Envy laptop.  The sales staff assured me that it is capable of being used on the 5 gHz Wi-Fi band.  So I purchased it and brought it home.   Guess what.   I worked only on 2.4 gHz.  No capability at all on 5 gHz.   I even telephoned HP and talked to it's techs.  I was told that "NO" this particular HP model does not have the dual band capability.  In fact....bad news....none of the HP line of laptops has this capability.  That was the word directly from HP Support.  So this HP goes back to BB in the morning.....unless the doggone snow is too deep. 

It is coming down out there pretty good and the temp. outdoors is 31.8 degrees at 7 ft. above ground level.  It probably won't last long.  But it will be measurable and this will be the first time measurable snow has fallen in the Kansas City area in the month of May in 107 years.....according to the TV weather guy.

Computer-Joe wrote:

Was there supposed to be a link to a service manual in this last post, C.J.?

Today I made another trip to the store....this time BB.  Found a very nice, fairly high powered HP Envy laptop.  The sales staff assured me that it is capable of being used on the 5 gHz Wi-Fi band.  So I purchased it and brought it home.   Guess what.   I worked only on 2.4 gHz.  No capability at all on 5 gHz.   I even telephoned HP and talked to it's techs.  I was told that "NO" this particular HP model does not have the dual band capability.  In fact....bad news....none of the HP line of laptops has this capability.  That was the word directly from HP Support.  So this HP goes back to BB in the morning.....unless the doggone snow is too deep. 

It is coming down out there pretty good and the temp. outdoors is 31.8 degrees at 7 ft. above ground level.  It probably won't last long.  But it will be measurable and this will be the first time measurable snow has fallen in the Kansas City area in the month of May in 107 years.....according to the TV weather guy.

22 of 23 (556 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2013 9:14:28 PM
(0)
Master

Sorry Phil. Juggling too many projects today. The ACE Hardware here in town had the payroll/invoicing/inventory printer take a dump on them so I had to go pick up a new laser printer and install it, then teach the owner how to do payroll and invoices on it because their accountant was going on vacation tomorrow. Plus a local machinist/gunsmith had his billing computer go down for the count, so I'm also in the middle of a data recovery and OS reinstall on that rig. Seems to be feast or famine in this biz. I'm surprised I've not gotten a call from another of my regulars, (I call him the Porn King) who needs to have his computer disinfected almost quarterly from all the "blue" sites he visits. I'm also surprised he's not blind yet.Smiley Wink

I think heard earlier today you guys were supossed to get 10 - 12 inches over that waySmiley Surprised

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_inspiron_laptop/inspiron-1525_service%2...

Sorry Phil. Juggling too many projects today. The ACE Hardware here in town had the payroll/invoicing/inventory printer take a dump on them so I had to go pick up a new laser printer and install it, then teach the owner how to do payroll and invoices on it because their accountant was going on vacation tomorrow. Plus a local machinist/gunsmith had his billing computer go down for the count, so I'm also in the middle of a data recovery and OS reinstall on that rig. Seems to be feast or famine in this biz. I'm surprised I've not gotten a call from another of my regulars, (I call him the Porn King) who needs to have his computer disinfected almost quarterly from all the "blue" sites he visits. I'm also surprised he's not blind yet.Smiley Wink

I think heard earlier today you guys were supossed to get 10 - 12 inches over that waySmiley Surprised

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_inspiron_laptop/inspiron-1525_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

neon_sign.jpg

23 of 23 (544 Views)