Weekly Off-Topic Thread #277

Re: Weekly Off-Topic Thread #277


hpmsrm wrote:
 If we had a basement or crawl space I'd opt for CAT 5 rewire.  Alas.....our house has concrete slab flooring.

 

No attic space? This would be the time of year to do it, if they could get up there.

 

I've done a lot of free-wiring (no conduit or dedicated chases) for communications and electrical and it's quite often no more work to do it from an attic than from a basement. In fact it's usually easier to drill a small hole in the top plate of a wall and drop a wire down to a wall plate than it is to find the bottom plate from the basement, drill a hole and get the wire up through the wall to the wall plate.

 

 

 




__________________________________________________________
How can you be in two places at once, when your not anywhere at all?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really want to become a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

                              

Message 16 of 29 (1,068 Views)
Master

Re: Weekly Off-Topic Thread #277


Computer-Joe wrote:

hpmsrm wrote:
 If we had a basement or crawl space I'd opt for CAT 5 rewire.  Alas.....our house has concrete slab flooring.

 

No attic space? This would be the time of year to do it, if they could get up there.

 

I've done a lot of free-wiring (no conduit or dedicated chases) for communications and electrical and it's quite often no more work to do it from an attic than from a basement. In fact it's usually easier to drill a small hole in the top plate of a wall and drop a wire down to a wall plate than it is to find the bottom plate from the basement, drill a hole and get the wire up through the wall to the wall plate.

 


Makes a lot of sense CJ and I can relate to what your saying, especially on old houses. My son has a small old house that was built in 1910 right next to one of the Ohio canals which of course is no longer there. I've done a lot of new electrical wiring there and since the sill plate is sitting on top of glazed 10" thick ceramic block there is no way to pull/fish wiring up through the walls. I had to pull a wire up to the attic next to the cold air return and then drill through the top sill plate where the attic meets the roof trusses and drop wire down for new lights, electric outlets, and switches. Lots of fun working in 10" of nasty old cellulose insulation while running into metal gas lines throughout the ceilings for old gas lights.
My big old house built in 1927 is about the same way but can't even run coax up/down through the walls since they put so many hardwood/thick braces between the wall studs. While not the right/neat way to do it I had to drill holes up through the basement open-joist ceiling to the corner of the rooms near where a TV was going to be. The holes were big enough so I could get a coax crimped on connector with electrical tape on the end through.
I'd also like to abort all the coax in this house, along w/the splitter on the outside siding. Thought about buying pre-made cat5 cables through Monoprice and doing it myself. Doesn't U-verse charge extra for running new cat5 and believe they won't fish wires up/down through walls? They actually wouldn't have to fish cat5 up/down in the walls here and maybe if I whined enough they would replace them for free.
BTW Phil, it's a small world and I'm also having trouble with my U-verse service going down completely sometimes. Just had a new coax splitter, new coax ends, new 3801 RG and 2250 DVR installed through 2 service calls within the past 6 months. I also think it may be the outside line but every time they take a reading it's perfect. Since mainly it's late at night when the signal goes down I often wonder if U-verse isn't just messing with something somewhere?
Uniblurb3

If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering someone else's dog around.

Need help? Contact AT&T at 800-288-2020.
Message 17 of 29 (1,044 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: Weekly Off-Topic Thread #277

So my wife totally suprised me tonight. She has known for a while that I wanted a Surface tablet for some time. Well she got a very nice bonus at work recently and I suggested that we put some of it towards redoing our bathroom floor and the rest to paying off her car loan.

 

Instead she decided to use it to get me a Surface instead redoing the floor right now (she said we can do them in a few months since we'll be saving the payments she was making on her car)

 

I didn't see it coming.

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 18 of 29 (1,022 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: Weekly Off-Topic Thread #277

[ Edited ]

Coming down through the wall from the attic would be my only option, C.J.   But, like Uni said....in my mind's eye I have visions of cross members and braces between studs getting in the way.  From the basement...if I had one....I could simply drill a small hole down through the floor....right up against the baseboard.  But, of course, that option is not available to me.

Did you replace the diplexer, Uni?  The first tech indicated to me that the biggest part of the problems in the house seemed to disappear (on his instruments) after changing our diplexer out.   Right now....about 24 hours after last RG reboot....my UV Realtime shows only 1660 corrected blocks and, believe it or not, zero uncorrected blocks.  The chart has never looked so clean in the 5+ years that we've been subscribers to U-verse.  We've had no signal drop-outs today.   No one showed up to run any CAT 5 so I'm guessing the guys' superiors nixed it unless we keep on having problems.  The line tech seemed to think that just a simple run of CAT 5 from the NID to the RG (full length of the house) would probably not cost us anything.  But who knows.

 

Wow, A.G.    A very nice surprise.  Been a good boy, eh?  Which Surface Tablet is it?    I'm still plugging away on my old Dell laptop and, occasionally, on my HP desktop.  Good thing I have not spent any money on any exotic toys......got to pay for the new furnace-heat pump-A/C for the house.   I know you'll enjoy that tablet.

The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other peoples' money. .......Margaret Thatcher
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 19 of 29 (1,018 Views)
Master

Re: Weekly Off-Topic Thread #277

Yeah Phil, that's exactly what I did was to drill small holes through the floors right next to the baseboard or in a corner and ran the coax in the basement through the open floor joists. Actually I believe I could run all pre-made cat5e cables myself but would have to pull the coax from the holes since there isn't room for both cables.

 

Since I now have Voice, instead of a landline, the last tech who was here about gutted the inside of the NID and replaced about everything needed in there. Since I've always had a cat5e run from the NID to the RG I don't believe I even have a diplexer. Guess I'm lucky the NID is on the outside wall of the house while the RG is right on the other side inside. Know that's what you mentioned about moving the RG closer to the NID.

 

PS, congrats on your new Surface americangame and real nice of your wife!

 

Uniblurb3

If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering someone else's dog around.

Need help? Contact AT&T at 800-288-2020.
Message 20 of 29 (1,001 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: Weekly Off-Topic Thread #277

It was the pro version with 128GB of space.  She also got me the type keyboard (she played with the touch one and didn't like how it felt).

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 21 of 29 (977 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: Weekly Off-Topic Thread #277

Speaking of Ethanol - Indianapolis had a surge in gas prices from about $3.50 to 3.95, on Monday.  Our local TV News credited this to two issues: 1) Spring Break and 2) A new Federal regulation imposing extra tariffs on non-renewable fuels.  I haven't the time to research the latter but the former sounds aboit right - price gouging.

 

Sam's Club is a great place to get cheaper gas (note I would never call it cheap).  When it was $3.79 everywhere else, it was $3.42 at one Sam's Club.  Now it's $3.55 when most are $3.80-3.95.  Filling up there 2x a month would about pay for the annual membership!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 22 of 29 (970 Views)

Re: Weekly Off-Topic Thread #277


Uniblurb3 wrote:
Makes a lot of sense CJ and I can relate to what your saying, especially on old houses. My son has a small old house that was built in 1910 right next to one of the Ohio canals which of course is no longer there. I've done a lot of new electrical wiring there and since the sill plate is sitting on top of glazed 10" thick ceramic block there is no way to pull/fish wiring up through the walls. I had to pull a wire up to the attic next to the cold air return and then drill through the top sill plate where the attic meets the roof trusses and drop wire down for new lights, electric outlets, and switches. Lots of fun working in 10" of nasty old cellulose insulation while running into metal gas lines throughout the ceilings for old gas lights.
My big old house built in 1927 is about the same way but can't even run coax up/down through the walls since they put so many hardwood/thick braces between the wall studs. While not the right/neat way to do it I had to drill holes up through the basement open-joist ceiling to the corner of the rooms near where a TV was going to be. The holes were big enough so I could get a coax crimped on connector with electrical tape on the end through.
I'd also like to abort all the coax in this house, along w/the splitter on the outside siding. Thought about buying pre-made cat5 cables through Monoprice and doing it myself. Doesn't U-verse charge extra for running new cat5 and believe they won't fish wires up/down through walls? They actually wouldn't have to fish cat5 up/down in the walls here and maybe if I whined enough they would replace them for free.
BTW Phil, it's a small world and I'm also having trouble with my U-verse service going down completely sometimes. Just had a new coax splitter, new coax ends, new 3801 RG and 2250 DVR installed through 2 service calls within the past 6 months. I also think it may be the outside line but every time they take a reading it's perfect. Since mainly it's late at night when the signal goes down I often wonder if U-verse isn't just messing with something somewhere?

 

The best tool I've come across for free-wiring is about 25 feet of bead-chain (like pull-chains on ceiling fixtures). You want the larger (heavy-duty) stuff, I think it's 5/32 or 3/16 beads. You can drop that down through the top plate on a wall and, if there's a way to the bottom of the wall, that bead-chain will find it because it basically pours down through the wall. Plus it doesn't get caught on stuff when pulling it out like a piece of string would, or stuck on stuff in the wall while pushing it in, like a coiled fish-tape would.

 

 

 




__________________________________________________________
How can you be in two places at once, when your not anywhere at all?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really want to become a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

                              

Message 23 of 29 (963 Views)

Re: Weekly Off-Topic Thread #277


hpmsrm wrote:

Coming down through the wall from the attic would be my only option, C.J.   But, like Uni said....in my mind's eye I have visions of cross members and braces between studs getting in the way.  From the basement...if I had one....I could simply drill a small hole down through the floor....right up against the baseboard.  But, of course, that option is not available to me.

Did you replace the diplexer, Uni?  The first tech indicated to me that the biggest part of the problems in the house seemed to disappear (on his instruments) after changing our diplexer out.   Right now....about 24 hours after last RG reboot....my UV Realtime shows only 1660 corrected blocks and, believe it or not, zero uncorrected blocks.  The chart has never looked so clean in the 5+ years that we've been subscribers to U-verse.  We've had no signal drop-outs today.   No one showed up to run any CAT 5 so I'm guessing the guys' superiors nixed it unless we keep on having problems.  The line tech seemed to think that just a simple run of CAT 5 from the NID to the RG (full length of the house) would probably not cost us anything.  But who knows.

 

Wow, A.G.    A very nice surprise.  Been a good boy, eh?  Which Surface Tablet is it?    I'm still plugging away on my old Dell laptop and, occasionally, on my HP desktop.  Good thing I have not spent any money on any exotic toys......got to pay for the new furnace-heat pump-A/C for the house.   I know you'll enjoy that tablet.


 

CAT5/6 should help, if you get a competent installer. Frankly though, from the installs I've seen (both during the install or after the fact) most techs are pretty lackadaisical when it comes to proper handling and installation of CAT5/6 cable. I watched one install where they spooled out all the wire they thought they needed on my basement floor and then proceeded to walk all over it while they were nailing it up. I've seen where they had 6 -10 feet extra wire and instead of coiling it up it was folded flat and stapled to a floor joist. I've seen runs that did 90 degree turns coming out of a cable clamp and pulled so tight you could strum it like a guitar. I've also seen where they crimped an RJ45 plug on the end of a cable and the jacket was an inch short of the plug. Those guys need to be taught there's a difference between COAX and CAT5/6 in the way they are handle and installed.

 

 

 




__________________________________________________________
How can you be in two places at once, when your not anywhere at all?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really want to become a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

                              

Message 24 of 29 (959 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: Weekly Off-Topic Thread #277


dhascall wrote:

 

Sam's Club is a great place to get cheaper gas (note I would never call it cheap).  When it was $3.79 everywhere else, it was $3.42 at one Sam's Club.  Now it's $3.55 when most are $3.80-3.95.  Filling up there 2x a month would about pay for the annual membership!


I've found Kroger's in my area to be the best deal when it comes to getting gas if you are apart of their rewards program. Without the rewards card, the gas price is similar to Walmart's but with the card you'll get $0.03/gallon off unless you've bought over $100 in groceries from them.  For each $100 you've spent you get $0.10 off up to $1.00 a gallon.  So if you have spent $1000 in groceries since your last fillup your price will be $2.659/gallon instead of $3.659/gallon.

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 25 of 29 (951 Views)

Re: Weekly Off-Topic Thread #277

We do 95% of our shopping at Kroger and what we do is purchase Visa gift cards before we shop for the amount we're going to spend and we get 2x the points for that, then we buy our groceries with the cards so for 150 you get close to 500 points because the activation fees count towards points as well.  Right now Kroger is doing a 4x points for the Visa cards, just make sure it's not the reloadable ones.

 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 26 of 29 (932 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: Weekly Off-Topic Thread #277


oufanindallas wrote:

We do 95% of our shopping at Kroger and what we do is purchase Visa gift cards before we shop for the amount we're going to spend and we get 2x the points for that, then we buy our groceries with the cards so for 150 you get close to 500 points because the activation fees count towards points as well.  Right now Kroger is doing a 4x points for the Visa cards, just make sure it's not the reloadable ones.

 


Never thought of that. This sounds like a great way to beat the system.

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 27 of 29 (928 Views)

Re: Weekly Off-Topic Thread #277

[ Edited ]

also controls how much you spend on groceries and cuts back on impulse buying. Smiley Wink

 

A co-worker told me that's the way he's been doing it for years.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 28 of 29 (924 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Master

Re: Weekly Off-Topic Thread #277

[ Edited ]

One of the big regional grocery chains has the gas discount program here.  But the points are awarded only on certain merchandise and that changes from week to week.  One has to wander through the store and look for the signs.  It's a pain.  We don't have any big national grocery chains in this immediate area.   Our best is a chain called Hy-Vee.  Based in Iowa.....owned by the employees.  It's our favorite.  Their gas credits can be spent at the store's own station or at one of a couple of other gas station chains in our area.  That is convenient.

 

OK....who pulled the switch.  All of a sudden I have to log in everytime I come to the forum.  Wonder how that happened.  Must be that little black cloud that follows me around. 

 

Bought a sound bar for our Sony SXRD 55 incher.  The speakers in the set just did not have enough clarity for these old ears.   Got a Sony unit with small subwoofer.  Hooked it up to the fixed level audio output on the TV.  Audio kept dropping out.  No matter what I tried....it kept doing it.  I was just about to pack the darn sound bar up and take it back to the store.  Then I had a thought (yeah I still get ideas once in a while).  Perhaps it was not the sound bar but rather, maybe the problem was with the audio output from the TV.  So I connected the bar to the audio output on the back of the STB.  Wallah!  No more dropouts.  Problem is...it took me nearly a day to figure it outHard to believe that I used to multi-task like crazy.....keep in touch with a dozen projects at a time....but not no mo.

 

By the way.....no video dropouts for almost 48 hours.

 

Yuck!.......got another 1/2 to 1 inch of snow.  Bigger snow storm expected this weekend.  Someone up there is really mad at us.

The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other peoples' money. .......Margaret Thatcher
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 29 of 29 (880 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Having service trouble? There is an app for that! Use our troubleshooting tool or text myATT to 8758 to download the app. It is much faster than posting on our forums. You will also find some helpful articles below.