Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Feb 22, 2013
1:23:20 PM
Weekly Off-Topic Thread #274

Luckily we made it through the snow/sleet/freezing rain/ice storm which rolled through last night and early this morning. Most has now all melted and just turning into a muddy mess.

Not sure if this 3 1/2 min youtube video has been out for a while but my 92 year old mom just emailed it to me. Pretty amazing morph sequence of Queen Elizabeth II going from a child to her diamond jubilee year.

And to continue the discussion from the past WOTT #273:

http://forums.att.com/t5/The-U-verse-Lounge/Weekly-Off-Topic-Thread-273/m-p/3435049#M54504

There's only 1 Frys in Central Ohio and not much help to me since it's on the far SW side of Columbus (Grove City area). I'd have to agree with SJ on watching for open products at Frys. Went there when out in San Diego in Dec helping my future son-in-law pick out a mast-mounted OTA antennae. Half the boxes were open with hardware for mounting missing. Even the sales rep who helped us look at them took one out of the box and didn't put it back in the box with all the parts. Not good.

Uniblurb3

If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering someone else's dog around.

Need help? Contact AT&T at 800-288-2020.

Luckily we made it through the snow/sleet/freezing rain/ice storm which rolled through last night and early this morning. Most has now all melted and just turning into a muddy mess.

Not sure if this 3 1/2 min youtube video has been out for a while but my 92 year old mom just emailed it to me. Pretty amazing morph sequence of Queen Elizabeth II going from a child to her diamond jubilee year.

And to continue the discussion from the past WOTT #273:

http://forums.att.com/t5/The-U-verse-Lounge/Weekly-Off-Topic-Thread-273/m-p/3435049#M54504

There's only 1 Frys in Central Ohio and not much help to me since it's on the far SW side of Columbus (Grove City area). I'd have to agree with SJ on watching for open products at Frys. Went there when out in San Diego in Dec helping my future son-in-law pick out a mast-mounted OTA antennae. Half the boxes were open with hardware for mounting missing. Even the sales rep who helped us look at them took one out of the box and didn't put it back in the box with all the parts. Not good.

Uniblurb3

If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering someone else's dog around.

Weekly Off-Topic Thread #274

16 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(16)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2013 8:21:58 PM
(0)
Master

I got my Channel Master from Lowe's but that was right after Ike tore the Wineguard up.

I got my Channel Master from Lowe's but that was right after Ike tore the Wineguard up.

Re: Weekly Off-Topic Thread #274

2 of 17 (803 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2013 9:41:24 PM
(0)
Master

I have a large 10'9" long Wineguard TV antennae on my roof like the below one. And it's mounted on top of a mast in a tripod bolted to the peak of the roof.

http://www.winegard.com/kbase/upload/HD7697P.pdf

Of all people who replaced the old OTA antennae it was the VOOM satellite techs and believe the antennae was at cost since VOOM didn't carry local channels. This was probably 10-12 years ago and ticks me off the antennae no longer works. Believe the problem is that I also bought a power booster with the circuit board on the top of the antennae connections and the other half I have plugged into the upstairs bedroom AC outlet. Believe the circuit board may be bad on the antennae and I'm pretty fearful of my roof peak anymore. Years ago my son helped me take it down/put it up and it has about a 3/4" water pipe 8'-10' long for a mast. Nothin' like standing on the peak of a 40' high roof trying to balance a heavy/long pipe with a big antennae on the end when you lift it out of a 3' tall tripod. Smiley Sad

Uniblurb3

I have a large 10'9" long Wineguard TV antennae on my roof like the below one. And it's mounted on top of a mast in a tripod bolted to the peak of the roof.

http://www.winegard.com/kbase/upload/HD7697P.pdf

Of all people who replaced the old OTA antennae it was the VOOM satellite techs and believe the antennae was at cost since VOOM didn't carry local channels. This was probably 10-12 years ago and ticks me off the antennae no longer works. Believe the problem is that I also bought a power booster with the circuit board on the top of the antennae connections and the other half I have plugged into the upstairs bedroom AC outlet. Believe the circuit board may be bad on the antennae and I'm pretty fearful of my roof peak anymore. Years ago my son helped me take it down/put it up and it has about a 3/4" water pipe 8'-10' long for a mast. Nothin' like standing on the peak of a 40' high roof trying to balance a heavy/long pipe with a big antennae on the end when you lift it out of a 3' tall tripod. Smiley Sad

Uniblurb3

3 of 17 (786 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2013 10:53:01 PM
(0)
Master

You could bypass the amp and see if it will pickup just purchase an outdoor balun to convert the 300 ohm to 75 ohm coax.

You could bypass the amp and see if it will pickup just purchase an outdoor balun to convert the 300 ohm to 75 ohm coax.

4 of 17 (776 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 23, 2013 4:30:47 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by aviewer on Feb 23, 2013 at 4:48:51 AM

Uniblurb3 - Another factor you need to consider is the transition to digital broadcast. Did you get the antenna before the cutover? Did you use it after the cutover?

Many channels changed from VHF to UHF.

Most channel footprints shrunk.

Check antennaweb.org to see what your reception expectations should be. Look carefully for the actual broadcast channel (e.g Ch 3 Hartford is now broadcast on 33) If you have no need for any channel broadcasting in the low VHF band (2-5) you do not need a monster antenna,

The simple bow tie reflective antenna works great for UHF and VHF high band. Choice of 2, 4, 8 bay depending on local/fringe. Channel Master, Winegard & others sell these. I use a channel Master 4228.
http://antennaweb.org/default.aspx
http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/maps/
http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html
http://www.solidsignal.com/c/products.asp?tc=over-the-air-tv-antennas-supplies&mc=03&d=over-the-air-...

Uniblurb3 - Another factor you need to consider is the transition to digital broadcast. Did you get the antenna before the cutover? Did you use it after the cutover?

Many channels changed from VHF to UHF.

Most channel footprints shrunk.

Check antennaweb.org to see what your reception expectations should be. Look carefully for the actual broadcast channel (e.g Ch 3 Hartford is now broadcast on 33) If you have no need for any channel broadcasting in the low VHF band (2-5) you do not need a monster antenna,

The simple bow tie reflective antenna works great for UHF and VHF high band. Choice of 2, 4, 8 bay depending on local/fringe. Channel Master, Winegard & others sell these. I use a channel Master 4228.
http://antennaweb.org/default.aspx
http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/maps/
http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html
http://www.solidsignal.com/c/products.asp?tc=over-the-air-tv-antennas-supplies&mc=03&d=over-the-air-tv-antennas-supplies

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
5 of 17 (767 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 23, 2013 4:58:36 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by oufanindallas on Feb 23, 2013 at 5:07:49 AM

Continueing the Fry's/Best Buy conversation. We actually have a Tiger Direct in DFW area so we have access to much lower prices than both. It's a huge store and you can check online to see if an item is in stock before you make a trek and find out it's not there.

I'm thinking about getting one of the Leaf antennas from Mohu. Everything I've read about them says they are one of the best antennas you can get,

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

Continueing the Fry's/Best Buy conversation. We actually have a Tiger Direct in DFW area so we have access to much lower prices than both. It's a huge store and you can check online to see if an item is in stock before you make a trek and find out it's not there.

I'm thinking about getting one of the Leaf antennas from Mohu. Everything I've read about them says they are one of the best antennas you can get,

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
6 of 17 (762 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 23, 2013 7:01:48 AM
(0)
Master

Beware the fact that most UHF antennas ( flat digital) will pick up VHF just not below channel 6 or 7 so you may want to find out what your channel listings are.

Beware the fact that most UHF antennas ( flat digital) will pick up VHF just not below channel 6 or 7 so you may want to find out what your channel listings are.

7 of 17 (735 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 23, 2013 7:23:40 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
There is a whole roster of things to be careful of -
If the signal is not there you are not going to get it.
Outside is way better than inside.
Higher is better.
UHF is particularly elusive. Short distances can make a big difference in reception.
Amplifiers must first have a good signal.
Then they must be low noise (e.g. Channel Master)
There is a whole roster of things to be careful of -
If the signal is not there you are not going to get it.
Outside is way better than inside.
Higher is better.
UHF is particularly elusive. Short distances can make a big difference in reception.
Amplifiers must first have a good signal.
Then they must be low noise (e.g. Channel Master)

8 of 17 (729 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 23, 2013 12:46:20 PM
(0)
Expert
Remember that amplifiers are primarily supposed to be used to make up for loss in a long cable run, not to gain more signal. What matters to the TV (especially with a digital signal) is the signal to noise ratio. Amplifiers boost both the signal and the noise, so they don't improve the S/N ratio.

Antenna element size is the primary factor that can give you more signal and less noise. (Other factors are height and direction). If you're in a fringe area, no amount of amplification will help. You need to capture more of the signal out of the air -- that means bigger antenna mounted higher.
Remember that amplifiers are primarily supposed to be used to make up for loss in a long cable run, not to gain more signal. What matters to the TV (especially with a digital signal) is the signal to noise ratio. Amplifiers boost both the signal and the noise, so they don't improve the S/N ratio.

Antenna element size is the primary factor that can give you more signal and less noise. (Other factors are height and direction). If you're in a fringe area, no amount of amplification will help. You need to capture more of the signal out of the air -- that means bigger antenna mounted higher.

9 of 17 (702 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 23, 2013 5:04:12 PM
(0)
Master

Thanks for all the OTA input guys. Below is a photo of my setup/kit with a "Channel Master 0747 Antennae Amplifier Power Supply" (left) which I installed in the upstairs bedroom. This is where I drilled through the outside wall to bring the coax cable in/out. In the middle of the photo is the "Channel Master Preamp 0068DSB" which is installed close to the top of the mast w/the large antennae. I didn't like the look of this preamp case when I installed it since it easily popped open where you could see a fairly extensive circuit board. So I wrapped electrical tape around it and who knows how well that is still sealing the unit after 10+ years exposed to the sun/weather. Probably not very well.

Actually SJ part of the reason I amplified the signal was because of long coax runs along with splitters. The coax goes from the preamp on the mast to the power amp in the top bedroom which is about a 20' run. Once the coax come out of the of the power amp I have a 2-way splitter with one of the cables run to an old TV upstairs (w/digital converter box) and the other cable goes back out through the outside wall, run down the outside of the house, and back through the outside wall into the open beam basement ceiling. So there's another 20' and then I have a 3-way splitter once it comes into the basement with one run going to the far bedroom (25'), another run going to the middle bedroom (20'), and a third run going into the kitchen (20'). Not the best type of install but you can't fish wires up/down through the walls in this 95 year old house. No wall mounts/plates and I had to drill through the floors to bring the cables up into the 1st floor rooms.

I'm located on top of a high ridge overseeing Columbus which is about 25 miles away. I don't think there are any local station antennas any further than 30 miles and the antennae is rated for at least 65 miles. Now comes the real problem in that my antennae has to shoot through a 200' deep section of huge trees/forest. I remember when this OTA used to work well in the winter but not to good at all in the summer when leaves were blocking the signal. When a manager from VOOM was here many years ago he asked me if I would be willing to pay for them installing a 150' tower in my back yard to get an antennae over the tree tops? LOL.

I should probably take my smaller HDTV (22") from the kitchen and take it upstairs to connect directly to the power amp to see if it works. I know of no other way to test for signal strength.

Guess it isn't any big deal in having an OTA signal to come in/work since the local stations work fine w/U-verse. It would be nice in having the upstairs TV working w/o a UV box but we don't get much company staying up there anymore. Of course Missy our cat who lives up there may like a little TV. Smiley Wink

Uniblurb3

Thanks for all the OTA input guys. Below is a photo of my setup/kit with a "Channel Master 0747 Antennae Amplifier Power Supply" (left) which I installed in the upstairs bedroom. This is where I drilled through the outside wall to bring the coax cable in/out. In the middle of the photo is the "Channel Master Preamp 0068DSB" which is installed close to the top of the mast w/the large antennae. I didn't like the look of this preamp case when I installed it since it easily popped open where you could see a fairly extensive circuit board. So I wrapped electrical tape around it and who knows how well that is still sealing the unit after 10+ years exposed to the sun/weather. Probably not very well.

Actually SJ part of the reason I amplified the signal was because of long coax runs along with splitters. The coax goes from the preamp on the mast to the power amp in the top bedroom which is about a 20' run. Once the coax come out of the of the power amp I have a 2-way splitter with one of the cables run to an old TV upstairs (w/digital converter box) and the other cable goes back out through the outside wall, run down the outside of the house, and back through the outside wall into the open beam basement ceiling. So there's another 20' and then I have a 3-way splitter once it comes into the basement with one run going to the far bedroom (25'), another run going to the middle bedroom (20'), and a third run going into the kitchen (20'). Not the best type of install but you can't fish wires up/down through the walls in this 95 year old house. No wall mounts/plates and I had to drill through the floors to bring the cables up into the 1st floor rooms.

I'm located on top of a high ridge overseeing Columbus which is about 25 miles away. I don't think there are any local station antennas any further than 30 miles and the antennae is rated for at least 65 miles. Now comes the real problem in that my antennae has to shoot through a 200' deep section of huge trees/forest. I remember when this OTA used to work well in the winter but not to good at all in the summer when leaves were blocking the signal. When a manager from VOOM was here many years ago he asked me if I would be willing to pay for them installing a 150' tower in my back yard to get an antennae over the tree tops? LOL.

I should probably take my smaller HDTV (22") from the kitchen and take it upstairs to connect directly to the power amp to see if it works. I know of no other way to test for signal strength.

Guess it isn't any big deal in having an OTA signal to come in/work since the local stations work fine w/U-verse. It would be nice in having the upstairs TV working w/o a UV box but we don't get much company staying up there anymore. Of course Missy our cat who lives up there may like a little TV. Smiley Wink

Uniblurb3

10 of 17 (664 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2013 12:12:23 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I understand the Open Box issues at Fry's but some great deals can be had that way, too.  I bought an $89 Sangean short wave (World band) radio, for less than $3!  It was the display model with no box, power supply and such but at a $86 discount, lol.

Regardless of Fry's, or Walmart, Sears and so on, I have learned to examine each box, very carefully.

I understand the Open Box issues at Fry's but some great deals can be had that way, too.  I bought an $89 Sangean short wave (World band) radio, for less than $3!  It was the display model with no box, power supply and such but at a $86 discount, lol.

Regardless of Fry's, or Walmart, Sears and so on, I have learned to examine each box, very carefully.

11 of 17 (620 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2013 4:03:12 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

If you can wait for shipping I use Provantage allot.  They have just about everything.  What's nice is they find the closest outlet to your shippping address that has it and it comes from there instead of everything coming from one location. 

Pretty good prices, no tax, low shipping costs.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

If you can wait for shipping I use Provantage allot.  They have just about everything.  What's nice is they find the closest outlet to your shippping address that has it and it comes from there instead of everything coming from one location. 

Pretty good prices, no tax, low shipping costs.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

12 of 17 (596 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2013 8:07:20 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Free Kindle Book!

Probably today only, you can get Leonard Pitts' Forward From this Moment: Selected Columns for free!  I found out about this through Kindle Buffet.  Looks like a good book.  I tried to send a direct link to Amazon but think that my account would have been linked.  At any rate, Pitts' essay right after 9/11 was spot on.

I do not have a Kindle but use free Kindle readers on my smartphone, tablet and PC.  Nothing like free books!

Free Kindle Book!

Probably today only, you can get Leonard Pitts' Forward From this Moment: Selected Columns for free!  I found out about this through Kindle Buffet.  Looks like a good book.  I tried to send a direct link to Amazon but think that my account would have been linked.  At any rate, Pitts' essay right after 9/11 was spot on.

I do not have a Kindle but use free Kindle readers on my smartphone, tablet and PC.  Nothing like free books!

13 of 17 (574 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2013 10:41:19 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hpmsrm on Feb 26, 2013 at 10:55:14 AM

Two snow storms in 6 days.  Kansas City metropolitan area was pretty much paralyzed this morning.  We had 11 inches on the ground when we returned from Texas.  Got about 10 to 11 inches more last night and this morning and it is still coming down lightly.  Poor Alfie.  Could not find a spot for you-know-what this morning.  After all his legs are only about 6 to 7 inches long.  I'll leave his problem to your imagination, guys.  He finally found a truck tire rut out in the street to leave his solid deposit in and a snow bank to drain his tank on. (I'm getting good at getting around the stupid word filter).  This stuff is wet and really heavy.  All over the area roofs have been collapsing.  The stuff is piled high on top of our house and all the others in our neighborhood.  Needless to say we're hoping and praying that all this extra weight doesn't cause a problem.  Our power and TV cables and lines are all buried so we're OK in that area.  Wish we had settled a lot further south when we retired from the road.  This stuf is so wet and heavy that we just cannot shovel it.  Impossible for old folks....especially for those with heart & lung problems.  Even my snowblower can't move it.  Not big and powerful enough.  Got a guy coming to do the job after the storm is over but that will probably cost at least $50 for our driveway alone.

The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other peoples' money. .......Margaret Thatcher

Two snow storms in 6 days.  Kansas City metropolitan area was pretty much paralyzed this morning.  We had 11 inches on the ground when we returned from Texas.  Got about 10 to 11 inches more last night and this morning and it is still coming down lightly.  Poor Alfie.  Could not find a spot for you-know-what this morning.  After all his legs are only about 6 to 7 inches long.  I'll leave his problem to your imagination, guys.  He finally found a truck tire rut out in the street to leave his solid deposit in and a snow bank to drain his tank on. (I'm getting good at getting around the stupid word filter).  This stuff is wet and really heavy.  All over the area roofs have been collapsing.  The stuff is piled high on top of our house and all the others in our neighborhood.  Needless to say we're hoping and praying that all this extra weight doesn't cause a problem.  Our power and TV cables and lines are all buried so we're OK in that area.  Wish we had settled a lot further south when we retired from the road.  This stuf is so wet and heavy that we just cannot shovel it.  Impossible for old folks....especially for those with heart & lung problems.  Even my snowblower can't move it.  Not big and powerful enough.  Got a guy coming to do the job after the storm is over but that will probably cost at least $50 for our driveway alone.

The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other peoples' money. .......Margaret Thatcher

[ Edited ]
14 of 17 (563 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2013 12:12:18 PM
(0)
Master

That makes my arthritis flare up just looking at those pictures.

That makes my arthritis flare up just looking at those pictures.

15 of 17 (547 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2013 10:05:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hpmsrm on Feb 27, 2013 at 10:07:14 PM

Yes OZ.  My arthritis reacted also.   We got two more inches of snow over last night.  So this morning my wife and I shoveled out the driveway.  Not a difficult job.....when I was younger.....but, oh boy I'm gonna have to take some Anacin tonight if I want to sleep.  The shoulders are complaining that I overstressed them.

Hey.....anyone that wants to answer this question....feel free.    The main reason I use FF instead of IE 10 (or any prior IE for that matter) is that the scroll wheel on my mouse has never worked on my "Bookmark" list.  Mine is quite long and the only way to scroll this list in IE is to point to the little arrow at the top or bottom and hold down the left button on the mouse.  A pain in the you-know-what.  The scroll wheel works just great in FF.  I've done a little research on it and it seems that the MS reaction is "that's tough.....deal with it."  I'm asking this here because it really has nothing to do with U-verse.  Anyone have any idea what causes this problem?

Yes OZ.  My arthritis reacted also.   We got two more inches of snow over last night.  So this morning my wife and I shoveled out the driveway.  Not a difficult job.....when I was younger.....but, oh boy I'm gonna have to take some Anacin tonight if I want to sleep.  The shoulders are complaining that I overstressed them.

Hey.....anyone that wants to answer this question....feel free.    The main reason I use FF instead of IE 10 (or any prior IE for that matter) is that the scroll wheel on my mouse has never worked on my "Bookmark" list.  Mine is quite long and the only way to scroll this list in IE is to point to the little arrow at the top or bottom and hold down the left button on the mouse.  A pain in the you-know-what.  The scroll wheel works just great in FF.  I've done a little research on it and it seems that the MS reaction is "that's tough.....deal with it."  I'm asking this here because it really has nothing to do with U-verse.  Anyone have any idea what causes this problem?

[ Edited ]
16 of 17 (436 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2013 2:28:15 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by Dcookie on Feb 28, 2013 at 2:30:36 PM

Hi guys!! Just saw your pics of the snow! NICE!! 11 inches??? Not so nice when it's that heavy wet kind and a pain to shovel, though, and not nice to come home to after your trip.  We have nothing here in my neck of the woods...as a matter of fact, it was like a Spring day today....and Spring isn't one of my favorite seasons. Hope you recover form the shoveling, hpmsrm. Smiley Happy

Does anyone know if OU got any where he is?? I saw they were having some snow down that way...and quite a bit! 

I'm glad your UVerse Lounge is still alive...at least I can come here to say HI once in awhile. 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Hi guys!! Just saw your pics of the snow! NICE!! 11 inches??? Not so nice when it's that heavy wet kind and a pain to shovel, though, and not nice to come home to after your trip.  We have nothing here in my neck of the woods...as a matter of fact, it was like a Spring day today....and Spring isn't one of my favorite seasons. Hope you recover form the shoveling, hpmsrm. Smiley Happy

Does anyone know if OU got any where he is?? I saw they were having some snow down that way...and quite a bit! 

I'm glad your UVerse Lounge is still alive...at least I can come here to say HI once in awhile. 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

[ Edited ]
17 of 17 (412 Views)