Posted Feb 8, 2013
7:14:06 AM
View profile
Weekly Off Topic Thread #272

Welcome to Friday.  No one in NCAAMBB wants to keep #1 as my beloved Hoosiers fell to an unranked Illini team.  I guess that they forgot how to defend, in the last few minutes.  Not an easy road ahead as the take on the Buckeyes, next.

Welcome to Friday.  No one in NCAAMBB wants to keep #1 as my beloved Hoosiers fell to an unranked Illini team.  I guess that they forgot how to defend, in the last few minutes.  Not an easy road ahead as the take on the Buckeyes, next.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Weekly Off Topic Thread #272

15 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(15)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 8, 2013 10:27:11 AM
(0)
Master

Wow Dave, didn't hear about your Hoosiers losing to Illinois by 2 pts! Sorry, and was hoping they would come into Columbus still ranked #1 to face the Bucks on Sun (1pm ET, CBS). Must be a jinx on the #1 spot since the last 5 teams ranked #1 have lost in the past 5 weeks.

I ran errands yesterday and seems like all the snow has melted except for here where I pilled it up. And glad we didn't get much rain this morning since thought about cleaning my 60' north-facing gutter out last night and it still has 4" of ice in it where it doesn't get any sun.

Wishing the best for those in the NE who face a nor'easter with blizzard warnings. They showed on the national news last night where people are starting to panic/stock up on all supplies w/some headed for higher ground. The forecast for a couple feet of snow with up to 75mph winds in some areas sure doesn't sound pretty and almost 4,000 flights canceled already.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/08/northeast-blizzard-warnings_n_2644643.html

Wow Dave, didn't hear about your Hoosiers losing to Illinois by 2 pts! Sorry, and was hoping they would come into Columbus still ranked #1 to face the Bucks on Sun (1pm ET, CBS). Must be a jinx on the #1 spot since the last 5 teams ranked #1 have lost in the past 5 weeks.

I ran errands yesterday and seems like all the snow has melted except for here where I pilled it up. And glad we didn't get much rain this morning since thought about cleaning my 60' north-facing gutter out last night and it still has 4" of ice in it where it doesn't get any sun.

Wishing the best for those in the NE who face a nor'easter with blizzard warnings. They showed on the national news last night where people are starting to panic/stock up on all supplies w/some headed for higher ground. The forecast for a couple feet of snow with up to 75mph winds in some areas sure doesn't sound pretty and almost 4,000 flights canceled already.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/08/northeast-blizzard-warnings_n_2644643.html

Re: Weekly Off Topic Thread #272

2 of 16 (704 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 8, 2013 11:52:43 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Disney released thier Paperman short that aired before Wreck- It Ralph to Youtube last week.  It's a great short and shows does a great job pulling you into the story without any words.

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.

Disney released thier Paperman short that aired before Wreck- It Ralph to Youtube last week.  It's a great short and shows does a great job pulling you into the story without any words.

-------

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 16 (690 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 8, 2013 5:31:52 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I have taken my first step toward subscribing to the HD package this week.  I bought a 50 inch hdtv this past Tuesday.  I connected an OTA so I can watch my local channels in hd.  I think I will see if there is a promo for the HD package available.  Welcome to teh 21st century huh?:smileyhappy:

I have taken my first step toward subscribing to the HD package this week.  I bought a 50 inch hdtv this past Tuesday.  I connected an OTA so I can watch my local channels in hd.  I think I will see if there is a promo for the HD package available.  Welcome to teh 21st century huh?:smileyhappy:

4 of 16 (671 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 8, 2013 10:30:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hpmsrm on Feb 8, 2013 at 10:35:54 PM

No how you feel, Dave.  My Kansas Jayhawks had won 18 games....ranked #2.....and WHAM! They have lost two in a row.  I think they got too confident....thinking they were unbeatable.  Kind of serves them right.  Sat. they play Oklahoma.  Got my fingers crossed.

Congrats on the new HD, RC.   You won't regret.  Tonight my wife had so many programs recording that we had to move to SD to watch one of her detective stories.  YUCK!   Once you get used to HD you'll never want to go back.  My youngest son just bought a 60" Samsung Plasma.  It's beautiful.

"I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image." ........Stephen Hawking

No how you feel, Dave.  My Kansas Jayhawks had won 18 games....ranked #2.....and WHAM! They have lost two in a row.  I think they got too confident....thinking they were unbeatable.  Kind of serves them right.  Sat. they play Oklahoma.  Got my fingers crossed.

Congrats on the new HD, RC.   You won't regret.  Tonight my wife had so many programs recording that we had to move to SD to watch one of her detective stories.  YUCK!   Once you get used to HD you'll never want to go back.  My youngest son just bought a 60" Samsung Plasma.  It's beautiful.

"I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image." ........Stephen Hawking

[ Edited ]
5 of 16 (652 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 9, 2013 12:16:03 AM
(0)
Master

Real cute/neat video americangame, thanks! Ironic Disney were the ones that broke through the color cartoon barrier but didn't even need color to get the point of the video through to pull you in. In fact color may have taken away from the plot/story and made it more like a cartoon which they probably didn't want to do. :smileywink:

Welcome to the world of HD, RC! Pretty soon if you watch a lot of HD you won't be able to watch SD anymore. Good luck in getting the HD service, or a HD channel package, and I have never seen the reps more willing to deal these days. I know you don't want to jeopardize your free grandfathered STB's but I was just able to enter into a great 1-year service agreement, which I've been trying to get into for 3 years, and it knocked $55 off my bill. Know I'll have to haggle again in another year but part of the promo discount is knocking the cost of 3 extra STB's ($21) off. In fact anymore the DVR is free with most channel packages, as we know, but the 1st extra STB is automatically free also.

http://forums.att.com/t5/Setup-and-Self-Install/Existing-customer-free-promo-for-upgrading-from-Elit...

Real cute/neat video americangame, thanks! Ironic Disney were the ones that broke through the color cartoon barrier but didn't even need color to get the point of the video through to pull you in. In fact color may have taken away from the plot/story and made it more like a cartoon which they probably didn't want to do. :smileywink:

Welcome to the world of HD, RC! Pretty soon if you watch a lot of HD you won't be able to watch SD anymore. Good luck in getting the HD service, or a HD channel package, and I have never seen the reps more willing to deal these days. I know you don't want to jeopardize your free grandfathered STB's but I was just able to enter into a great 1-year service agreement, which I've been trying to get into for 3 years, and it knocked $55 off my bill. Know I'll have to haggle again in another year but part of the promo discount is knocking the cost of 3 extra STB's ($21) off. In fact anymore the DVR is free with most channel packages, as we know, but the 1st extra STB is automatically free also.

http://forums.att.com/t5/Setup-and-Self-Install/Existing-customer-free-promo-for-upgrading-from-Elite-to-Max/m-p/3383075#M2443

6 of 16 (646 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 9, 2013 4:58:43 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Loved that vid, americangame. It was a cute one!! 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Loved that vid, americangame. It was a cute one!! 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

7 of 16 (639 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 9, 2013 8:50:28 AM
(0)
Expert
Fantastic vid, americangame. Disney did a great job on that one.
Fantastic vid, americangame. Disney did a great job on that one.

8 of 16 (621 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 9, 2013 8:55:03 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Welcome to the 21st century RC.   I saw the video at the theatre, I took my son to see Wreck it Ralph.  What a great movie.  They are already working on a sequel.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

Welcome to the 21st century RC.   I saw the video at the theatre, I took my son to see Wreck it Ralph.  What a great movie.  They are already working on a sequel.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

9 of 16 (612 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 9, 2013 3:25:13 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Phil, I know you're a Jayhawk fan but I'm sorry. Boomer Sooner Baby!  That's 3 in a row for KU now.  I saw the end of the game earlier this week between KU and TCU. 

Phil, I know you're a Jayhawk fan but I'm sorry. Boomer Sooner Baby!  That's 3 in a row for KU now.  I saw the end of the game earlier this week between KU and TCU. 

10 of 16 (595 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 10, 2013 9:45:14 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Yeah....OFD.....something has gone wrong with the KU team.  Don't know what.  But they are visibly NOT the same team that was on the winning streak earlier in the season.  Bill Self has a real challenge with this bunch.  My wife and I were discussing it and we both felt that the team is missing Danny Manning who, as you know, after quite a number of years as assistant to Self, has taken the head coaching job at Tulsa.

Ya wanna know how old I am?   Well.....prior to getting married....I lived in the same dormitory that Wilt "the stilt" Chamberlain did at KU.  None of us ever got used to watching him have to duck at every doorway he walked through.   In 1957...I'd been married a year and my folks were visiting us.  My pop (a grad of KU med school) wanted to see Wilt play.  So, despite my mom's misgivings because of his heart problems, we assured her that he would not get excited (yeah sure) and off we went to the then-new Allen Field House for the game.  In those days the dunk shot was illegal during games.  But during warm-ups Wilt would get the crowd going big time with his display of a variety of the first dunk shots most of us had ever seen.  When one goes to a game in "the Phog" it is like a walk into history.  Dr. Naismith, the inventor of basketball, was KU's first coach.  Followed by the legendary Dr. "Phog" Allen.  Construction of the field house that carries his name was just being completed when I got to KU in 1954.   There I go getting carried away again.

Yeah....OFD.....something has gone wrong with the KU team.  Don't know what.  But they are visibly NOT the same team that was on the winning streak earlier in the season.  Bill Self has a real challenge with this bunch.  My wife and I were discussing it and we both felt that the team is missing Danny Manning who, as you know, after quite a number of years as assistant to Self, has taken the head coaching job at Tulsa.

Ya wanna know how old I am?   Well.....prior to getting married....I lived in the same dormitory that Wilt "the stilt" Chamberlain did at KU.  None of us ever got used to watching him have to duck at every doorway he walked through.   In 1957...I'd been married a year and my folks were visiting us.  My pop (a grad of KU med school) wanted to see Wilt play.  So, despite my mom's misgivings because of his heart problems, we assured her that he would not get excited (yeah sure) and off we went to the then-new Allen Field House for the game.  In those days the dunk shot was illegal during games.  But during warm-ups Wilt would get the crowd going big time with his display of a variety of the first dunk shots most of us had ever seen.  When one goes to a game in "the Phog" it is like a walk into history.  Dr. Naismith, the inventor of basketball, was KU's first coach.  Followed by the legendary Dr. "Phog" Allen.  Construction of the field house that carries his name was just being completed when I got to KU in 1954.   There I go getting carried away again.

11 of 16 (537 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 10, 2013 5:26:10 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

With the fact that every new TV made in the last couple of years has been HD it really makes no sense for providers charging extra for HD programing over SD my pet peeve.

IMO SD is for people still using CRT's to view Uverse.

With the fact that every new TV made in the last couple of years has been HD it really makes no sense for providers charging extra for HD programing over SD my pet peeve.

IMO SD is for people still using CRT's to view Uverse.

12 of 16 (501 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 10, 2013 6:59:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
I have a crackpot theory that over the pas few years TV providers have made sd channels look worse so that everyone would upgrade their tvs and pay for the hd channels.
-------

I have a crackpot theory that over the pas few years TV providers have made sd channels look worse so that everyone would upgrade their tvs and pay for the hd channels.
-------

13 of 16 (486 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 10, 2013 10:36:08 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

americangame wrote:

I think that after watching HD for extended periods it just makes SD look bad but when all of your local channels are in HD it seems like the rest of the industry would just supply HD at no extra cost. 

americangame wrote:

I think that after watching HD for extended periods it just makes SD look bad but when all of your local channels are in HD it seems like the rest of the industry would just supply HD at no extra cost. 

14 of 16 (462 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2013 11:15:11 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Feb 12, 2013 at 11:18:21 AM

Thanks to KU's blunders, IU held on to #1!  Butler is #11!

Thanks to KU's blunders, IU held on to #1!  Butler is #11!

[ Edited ]
15 of 16 (424 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2013 3:21:28 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by Uniblurb3 on Feb 13, 2013 at 3:28:59 AM

Have to admit Dave that Indiana is pretty darn good. :smileywink:

Here's a pretty good/funny washing machine commercial.

Have to admit Dave that Indiana is pretty darn good. :smileywink:

Here's a pretty good/funny washing machine commercial.

[ Edited ]
16 of 16 (399 Views)