U-verse Forums

Posted May 31, 2014
8:39:55 AM
View profile
WOTT #336

Well it's a day late but I'll start the new WOTT for this week.  Kind of strange because I'd swear that I did this yesterday.  Now it isn't there.  Must have clicked where I shouldn't have.

We're beginning to get more and more warm/hot weather here.....along with humidity.  But, all these little pop corn thundershowers that appear and disappear around the area have not dropped much in the way of moisture on us.  Our tomato plants would love a good drink of mother nature's best brew.  Watering with city water does help but certainly not like good old rain water.

Got a neighbor....the one with the dogs that are outside 24/7 and bark all night and a good part of the day.....who is installing a new swimming pool.  In the ground type surrounded by concrete walk-way and other features that I can't see because of the six foot high fence and also our landscape shrubbery and trees.  I noticed that the filters, pump and chlorinating equipment appears to be set for installation on the side of their house facing our bedroom.  Of course that will be turned on in the spring of each year and will run 24 hrs. per day all summer long.  Perhaps a protective shed will be built over the equipment....but I would not bet on it.

Oh well.

Here's hoping y'all have a great week and win the lottery.

Phil

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. ....................Groucho Marx

Well it's a day late but I'll start the new WOTT for this week.  Kind of strange because I'd swear that I did this yesterday.  Now it isn't there.  Must have clicked where I shouldn't have.

We're beginning to get more and more warm/hot weather here.....along with humidity.  But, all these little pop corn thundershowers that appear and disappear around the area have not dropped much in the way of moisture on us.  Our tomato plants would love a good drink of mother nature's best brew.  Watering with city water does help but certainly not like good old rain water.

Got a neighbor....the one with the dogs that are outside 24/7 and bark all night and a good part of the day.....who is installing a new swimming pool.  In the ground type surrounded by concrete walk-way and other features that I can't see because of the six foot high fence and also our landscape shrubbery and trees.  I noticed that the filters, pump and chlorinating equipment appears to be set for installation on the side of their house facing our bedroom.  Of course that will be turned on in the spring of each year and will run 24 hrs. per day all summer long.  Perhaps a protective shed will be built over the equipment....but I would not bet on it.

Oh well.

Phil

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. ....................Groucho Marx
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

WOTT #336

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 2, 2014 11:23:36 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

hpmsrm wrote:

Phil

Not a good start to the week and I need to win a huge jackpot, in the lottery.  We live in a bi-level house, with the upstairs bedrooms and the entire home;s bathrooms over the garage.  A few weeks back, we noticed that if both the wife and I take back to back showers, that there would be a small trail of water, on the garage floor.  We later noticed mildew smells, as well.  Plumbers were out three times before finally finding several holes in the 51 year old copper pipe "stack" coming from upstairs.  A complete "repipe" is required except for the kitchen.  Coupled with drywall repairs, the total will be a bit less than $6K. :smileymad:  Insurance may shave a grand off that.  We're not moving anytime soon. :smileymad:

hpmsrm wrote:

Phil

Not a good start to the week and I need to win a huge jackpot, in the lottery.  We live in a bi-level house, with the upstairs bedrooms and the entire home;s bathrooms over the garage.  A few weeks back, we noticed that if both the wife and I take back to back showers, that there would be a small trail of water, on the garage floor.  We later noticed mildew smells, as well.  Plumbers were out three times before finally finding several holes in the 51 year old copper pipe "stack" coming from upstairs.  A complete "repipe" is required except for the kitchen.  Coupled with drywall repairs, the total will be a bit less than $6K. :smileymad:  Insurance may shave a grand off that.  We're not moving anytime soon. :smileymad:

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: WOTT #336

2 of 10 (414 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 2, 2014 5:54:27 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Oh, WOW!  That's gonna put a dent in the old bank account and savings.   I share your pain.  I know that we are probably in for a new roof in a year or two.  House was built in 2003.  But of course they used contractor grade materials so no 20 yr. life span for our roof.  We just replaced the Furnace/heat pump/AC a year ago.  That was $5,000.  But...on the positive side....our electric bills for the first quarter of 2014 were down 20% from same period in 2013.  The new equipment is quite a lot more efficient than the 2003 equipment installed when the house was built.

Oh, WOW!  That's gonna put a dent in the old bank account and savings.   I share your pain.  I know that we are probably in for a new roof in a year or two.  House was built in 2003.  But of course they used contractor grade materials so no 20 yr. life span for our roof.  We just replaced the Furnace/heat pump/AC a year ago.  That was $5,000.  But...on the positive side....our electric bills for the first quarter of 2014 were down 20% from same period in 2013.  The new equipment is quite a lot more efficient than the 2003 equipment installed when the house was built.

3 of 10 (399 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 3, 2014 1:56:24 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

No new carpet and kitchen tile, this year!  The restoration company came today and set two fans and a dehumidifier.  Drywall next week.  The drywall is the only thing possibly covered by homeowners. :smileysad:

No new carpet and kitchen tile, this year!  The restoration company came today and set two fans and a dehumidifier.  Drywall next week.  The drywall is the only thing possibly covered by homeowners. :smileysad:

4 of 10 (374 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2014 5:18:39 AM
(0)
Master

Sorry about your house water damage Dave and good luck in the repairs.

I'm so sad to say I know first-hand how Phil feels at the loss of Alfie. Charlie was being treated the past couple months for a spine/shoulder problem which caused a severe front right leg limp. A pricey MRI showed degenerative disc disease at only just turning 7 years old with disc nerve problems. The great orthopedic surgeon couldn't do anything surgery-wise but turned the case over to a neurologist. While Charlie did ok on the oral steroid Prednisone the previous month this guy/vet sacked him out on a really strong steroid, Dexamethasone. At 6 doses a day for 27 days (162 total tabs) this med was super hard on Charlie. This drug is known to cause "deadly hormonal and metabolic changes in the body if used excessively" but the vets don't believe this dosage was excessive. It is also known to cause brain swelling, breaks down the immune system, and causes depression as side effects.

We hated to leave Charlie in the care at our house of another while going on vacation to S. Cal but had to for the birth of another grandson by our daughter. While gone Charlie had also hurt his left rear leg by trying to jump up on a bed/couch and I'm sure he was depressed we were gone. When we returned he barely acknowledged we were there, had very labored breathing, and couldn't get up. I rushed him to the 24-hour vet emergency room. He had developed jaundice, red/white blood cell count way off, severe ememia causing his breathing problems, needed a blood transfusion and 2 out of 4 legs weren't functioning correctly. A real heart-breaker but I had no choice but to have him put down on May 21 to ease his suffering. I brought him home, buried him in a deep grave in the side yard the next day, and ordered a nice marker for him. The sweetest disposition dog I have ever owned, he never took his eyes off of me since we rescued him 6 years ago, and rest in peace Charlie.

It's so hard to go through this but this is the 4th long-term dog we've owned who has passed. Just a fact that dogs/cats don't live as long as people and their lives seem cut so short as they fly by.

When our Great Pyrenees Hugo passed in 2006 we went a year w/o a dog before we rescued Charlie. With our kids moved out life was pretty darn lonely and seemed somewhat depressing w/o a dog for that 1 year. Some say they can never go through the heartbreak/loss of a great dog again. But in being dog/cat people we can't go through the hole in our lives w/o having a dog to love who will love you right back!

In living in the woods the critters have invaded this place the past couple weeks. The deer are openly walking around my short-fenced garden, the groundhogs are all around the house/Jeeps which they chew on, the raccoons are tearing everything up on the back porch, and I'm sure the many coyotes around here are coming ever so more closer to the yard/house. The darn coyotes have also driven all the Red Foxes away, which one was almost pet-friendly, and don't think I've ever seen so many rabbits around here in my whole life! And our cat Romeo likes to go outside but has no protector now just like the house itself.

We're cutting our grief short and I put a down-payment on a 4 week Newfie pup last week who should be ready in about 3 weeks. We won't ever replace Charlie but the cutie will fill the void in our lives.

On a positive note we have a new healthy grandson named Lucas who was born on May 12 and are excited about our new pup on the way.

Here's a photo of the pup and sorry for the length of this post.

Newfoundland pup at 3 weeks, 4 days, 1st photo, 5-30-14.lnk.jpg

Sorry about your house water damage Dave and good luck in the repairs.

I'm so sad to say I know first-hand how Phil feels at the loss of Alfie. Charlie was being treated the past couple months for a spine/shoulder problem which caused a severe front right leg limp. A pricey MRI showed degenerative disc disease at only just turning 7 years old with disc nerve problems. The great orthopedic surgeon couldn't do anything surgery-wise but turned the case over to a neurologist. While Charlie did ok on the oral steroid Prednisone the previous month this guy/vet sacked him out on a really strong steroid, Dexamethasone. At 6 doses a day for 27 days (162 total tabs) this med was super hard on Charlie. This drug is known to cause "deadly hormonal and metabolic changes in the body if used excessively" but the vets don't believe this dosage was excessive. It is also known to cause brain swelling, breaks down the immune system, and causes depression as side effects.

We hated to leave Charlie in the care at our house of another while going on vacation to S. Cal but had to for the birth of another grandson by our daughter. While gone Charlie had also hurt his left rear leg by trying to jump up on a bed/couch and I'm sure he was depressed we were gone. When we returned he barely acknowledged we were there, had very labored breathing, and couldn't get up. I rushed him to the 24-hour vet emergency room. He had developed jaundice, red/white blood cell count way off, severe ememia causing his breathing problems, needed a blood transfusion and 2 out of 4 legs weren't functioning correctly. A real heart-breaker but I had no choice but to have him put down on May 21 to ease his suffering. I brought him home, buried him in a deep grave in the side yard the next day, and ordered a nice marker for him. The sweetest disposition dog I have ever owned, he never took his eyes off of me since we rescued him 6 years ago, and rest in peace Charlie.

It's so hard to go through this but this is the 4th long-term dog we've owned who has passed. Just a fact that dogs/cats don't live as long as people and their lives seem cut so short as they fly by.

When our Great Pyrenees Hugo passed in 2006 we went a year w/o a dog before we rescued Charlie. With our kids moved out life was pretty darn lonely and seemed somewhat depressing w/o a dog for that 1 year. Some say they can never go through the heartbreak/loss of a great dog again. But in being dog/cat people we can't go through the hole in our lives w/o having a dog to love who will love you right back!

In living in the woods the critters have invaded this place the past couple weeks. The deer are openly walking around my short-fenced garden, the groundhogs are all around the house/Jeeps which they chew on, the raccoons are tearing everything up on the back porch, and I'm sure the many coyotes around here are coming ever so more closer to the yard/house. The darn coyotes have also driven all the Red Foxes away, which one was almost pet-friendly, and don't think I've ever seen so many rabbits around here in my whole life! And our cat Romeo likes to go outside but has no protector now just like the house itself.

We're cutting our grief short and I put a down-payment on a 4 week Newfie pup last week who should be ready in about 3 weeks. We won't ever replace Charlie but the cutie will fill the void in our lives.

On a positive note we have a new healthy grandson named Lucas who was born on May 12 and are excited about our new pup on the way.

Here's a photo of the pup and sorry for the length of this post.

Newfoundland pup at 3 weeks, 4 days, 1st photo, 5-30-14.lnk.jpg

5 of 10 (364 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2014 8:44:57 AM
(0)
Employee

Spoiler

sorry abt Charlie.  I know how hard it is to have to put a loved member of the family down.  We have had 7 dogs over the last 50 years.  The toughest time was when we had to put 2 dogs down on the same day.  We have a rescued 1 yr old black lab.

The new puppy is very cute.  You will need to keep us updated when he arrives in his new home.

Spoiler

sorry abt Charlie.  I know how hard it is to have to put a loved member of the family down.  We have had 7 dogs over the last 50 years.  The toughest time was when we had to put 2 dogs down on the same day.  We have a rescued 1 yr old black lab.

The new puppy is very cute.  You will need to keep us updated when he arrives in his new home.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

6 of 10 (343 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2014 10:40:20 AM
(0)
Guru

Congratulations on your grandson, and on the new puppy.

I'm really sorry to hear about Charlie.  Like you and Phil, I've also lost dogs and can understand how you must feel.  My sincere condolences.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible--but not simpler."
--Albert Einstein

Congratulations on your grandson, and on the new puppy.

I'm really sorry to hear about Charlie.  Like you and Phil, I've also lost dogs and can understand how you must feel.  My sincere condolences.

7 of 10 (334 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2014 11:53:47 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

hpmsrm wrote:

That is one good thing about our HOA, they require all building to at least have 20 year shingles and our builder used 30.  Of course this being north Texas, will probably encounter a storm or two while I'm living here that will require a repair job if not a complete reroofing job.  I know a couple of houses close to us had their shingles replaced in the past month.  Not sure that their inspector found, but they had it done.  Ours was fine as was the 10 houses surrounding the one that was replaced.  Guess they had the $$$ to have it done.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

hpmsrm wrote:

That is one good thing about our HOA, they require all building to at least have 20 year shingles and our builder used 30.  Of course this being north Texas, will probably encounter a storm or two while I'm living here that will require a repair job if not a complete reroofing job.  I know a couple of houses close to us had their shingles replaced in the past month.  Not sure that their inspector found, but they had it done.  Ours was fine as was the 10 houses surrounding the one that was replaced.  Guess they had the $$$ to have it done.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

8 of 10 (327 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2014 10:02:51 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Oh my, Uni.  I am so very sorry to hear about your loss of Charlie.  I know.....it is like losing a family member.  We get so close to them emotionally.....it just rips a hole in our lives when they pass on.  Well....after Alfie died last year....for a while I had a recurring dream.  I had been advised of the diagnosis of my Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis and that I had two...maybe three years left if I am careful.  In my dream I was walking up to the gates of Heaven (I hope) and there....on the other side, running back and forth with his tail vibrating violently was Alfie.  He was so glad to see me.  Some dream, huh?  Never did find out if they let me in or not.  Oh well...I'll find out soon enough.Dog Chasing Kitty.gif    tn15.jpg

Oh my, Uni.  I am so very sorry to hear about your loss of Charlie.  I know.....it is like losing a family member.  We get so close to them emotionally.....it just rips a hole in our lives when they pass on.  Well....after Alfie died last year....for a while I had a recurring dream.  I had been advised of the diagnosis of my Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis and that I had two...maybe three years left if I am careful.  In my dream I was walking up to the gates of Heaven (I hope) and there....on the other side, running back and forth with his tail vibrating violently was Alfie.  He was so glad to see me.  Some dream, huh?  Never did find out if they let me in or not.  Oh well...I'll find out soon enough.Dog Chasing Kitty.gif    tn15.jpg

9 of 10 (313 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2014 10:33:05 PM
(0)
Master

Thanks flutist, doc and Phil, appreciate the condolenses and Charlie was a real sweetheart! Some dream Phil and believe they'd have to let you in to be with Alfie!

I'll keep you all updated on the new pup while posting some photos.

Thanks flutist, doc and Phil, appreciate the condolenses and Charlie was a real sweetheart! Some dream Phil and believe they'd have to let you in to be with Alfie!

I'll keep you all updated on the new pup while posting some photos.

10 of 10 (310 Views)