U-verse Forums

Posted Feb 11, 2014
6:44:52 PM
View profile
WOTT #322

Well I don't understand why WOTT #321 was locked when it was only into its 4th day.  Usually we go a full week at least on each edition.   Soooooo.....we'll just start #322.

WOW....it was frigid last night.   We had an overnight low of -7.1 degrees,  A far cry from the minus 15 to 20 we used to experience when we lived in Iowa.  But we were a lot younger in those days.

Sitting here watching the second part of the Westminster Kennel Club Dog show.  Such gorgeous beasts.  Terriers are up next so I'll be watching the West Highland White Terrier and hoping for a group win.  But I'm not optimistic.   I'm definitely NOT an Olympics fan.  I can only watch the same thing happening over and over and over a few times before getting thoroughly bored.

Last night I decided to use the new TV to watch a couple of the videos I shot of my grandson playing lead trombone in his jazz band.  Whoops......it came only in bursts with pauses.  I'm guessing I need a gigabyte router.  What d'ya think.  Would that help.  The new Sony is connected via Wi-Fi to our home net.   Watching a movie from NetFlix on the Internet went OK.  So, in my ignorance, I don't know what the difference would be.  Oh well.  At this stage I'm not gonna spend well over $100 for another wireless router.  It's cheaper to just copy the video files to a flash memory stick and plug into the USB port on the TV.  Maybe that will work.

Stay warm everyone!  We're down to 8 degrees right now.  So it's another cold one.  Hardly any of our snow has thawed yet.  But we're looking to a big warm up coming with some highs maybe even hitting 50 degrees.  That'll get the thaw started.

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. ....................Groucho Marx

Well I don't understand why WOTT #321 was locked when it was only into its 4th day.  Usually we go a full week at least on each edition.   Soooooo.....we'll just start #322.

WOW....it was frigid last night.   We had an overnight low of -7.1 degrees,  A far cry from the minus 15 to 20 we used to experience when we lived in Iowa.  But we were a lot younger in those days.

Sitting here watching the second part of the Westminster Kennel Club Dog show.  Such gorgeous beasts.  Terriers are up next so I'll be watching the West Highland White Terrier and hoping for a group win.  But I'm not optimistic.   I'm definitely NOT an Olympics fan.  I can only watch the same thing happening over and over and over a few times before getting thoroughly bored.

Last night I decided to use the new TV to watch a couple of the videos I shot of my grandson playing lead trombone in his jazz band.  Whoops......it came only in bursts with pauses.  I'm guessing I need a gigabyte router.  What d'ya think.  Would that help.  The new Sony is connected via Wi-Fi to our home net.   Watching a movie from NetFlix on the Internet went OK.  So, in my ignorance, I don't know what the difference would be.  Oh well.  At this stage I'm not gonna spend well over $100 for another wireless router.  It's cheaper to just copy the video files to a flash memory stick and plug into the USB port on the TV.  Maybe that will work.

Stay warm everyone!  We're down to 8 degrees right now.  So it's another cold one.  Hardly any of our snow has thawed yet.  But we're looking to a big warm up coming with some highs maybe even hitting 50 degrees.  That'll get the thaw started.

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. ....................Groucho Marx
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

WOTT #322

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 14, 2014 4:43:47 AM
(0)
Guru

Hi, Phil--strange to see the WOTT started on a non-Friday, but kudos for starting it.  We also came out of a cold snap to hit 30 yesterday but, of course, had a mid-day burst of moderate snow.  Today is colder (high around 20) but we, too, are toying with the 30s and 40s into next week.

As much as I love dogs, I never watch the dog shows.  How did the West Highland White Terriers fare?  And I share a complete lack of interest in the Olympics.

I certainly can't help you with your video issues, but there are plenty of experts who can chime in.  Hope you can find a good way to watch--I also played in a jazz band for years and remember how much fun it can be.

Stay warm--I'm hoping we'll thaw out by August or so......

"Everything should be made as simple as possible--but not simpler."
--Albert Einstein

Hi, Phil--strange to see the WOTT started on a non-Friday, but kudos for starting it.  We also came out of a cold snap to hit 30 yesterday but, of course, had a mid-day burst of moderate snow.  Today is colder (high around 20) but we, too, are toying with the 30s and 40s into next week.

As much as I love dogs, I never watch the dog shows.  How did the West Highland White Terriers fare?  And I share a complete lack of interest in the Olympics.

I certainly can't help you with your video issues, but there are plenty of experts who can chime in.  Hope you can find a good way to watch--I also played in a jazz band for years and remember how much fun it can be.

Stay warm--I'm hoping we'll thaw out by August or so......

Re: WOTT #322

2 of 5 (254 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 14, 2014 7:45:42 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Netflix compresses video a whole lot and the client looks at the bandwidth capacity and picks a bitstream it thinks can be carried.  A simple video client won't do that, and your camera likely doesn't compress the video very much.  You may just be oversaturuating your wireless network.

As a rough guestimate of the bit-rate, how big is your video file (in megabytes) and how long (in min:sec) is the video clip?

Netflix compresses video a whole lot and the client looks at the bandwidth capacity and picks a bitstream it thinks can be carried.  A simple video client won't do that, and your camera likely doesn't compress the video very much.  You may just be oversaturuating your wireless network.

As a rough guestimate of the bit-rate, how big is your video file (in megabytes) and how long (in min:sec) is the video clip?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 5 (243 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 18, 2014 12:34:25 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I actually enjoy the Winter Olympics, much more than the Summer Games.  The latter has too much running, jumping and such.  I don't watch everything but Bobsled (or Bobsleigh as the app  on 1094 calls it :smileysurprised: ), Curling, Ski Jumping,  Snowboard Cross are just a few of my faves.

I'm not joking about "Bobsleigh" on the Olympic App.  The U-Verse Guide calls it Bobsled, so AT&T must have got the list of games for the app from another country.....

I actually enjoy the Winter Olympics, much more than the Summer Games.  The latter has too much running, jumping and such.  I don't watch everything but Bobsled (or Bobsleigh as the app  on 1094 calls it :smileysurprised: ), Curling, Ski Jumping,  Snowboard Cross are just a few of my faves.

I'm not joking about "Bobsleigh" on the Olympic App.  The U-Verse Guide calls it Bobsled, so AT&T must have got the list of games for the app from another country.....

4 of 5 (218 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2014 8:19:53 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

JefferMC wrote:

The camera was a Panasonic Lumix compact digital camera and the video was shot in a  normally lighted room.  It was 720p HD.  The .mos file was 1570 mb in size and it was 7:17 long.  I have others but I tried only this one.  Since I have switched the TV from Wi-Fi to connection via cable I should probably try again and see what happens.  Just out of curiosity.  But I don't have much hope.  I suspect I'll need to put the file on a USB memory stick and plug it directly into the TV set.  That might work better.  It's not a big deal.  I'm just enjoying trying out all the features on the TV.  It's kind of like breaking in a new PC.

By comparison....we got married at the tail end of our sophomore year at K.U.  Not much money available.  Our first TV was an old.....reconditioned Motorola table-top unit with a 12" B & W screen.  VHF only, of course.  What a difference 58 years have made.  Oh yeah....I forgot....we paid a whopping $25 for that old TV set.Smiley Face Cheering.gif

JefferMC wrote:

The camera was a Panasonic Lumix compact digital camera and the video was shot in a  normally lighted room.  It was 720p HD.  The .mos file was 1570 mb in size and it was 7:17 long.  I have others but I tried only this one.  Since I have switched the TV from Wi-Fi to connection via cable I should probably try again and see what happens.  Just out of curiosity.  But I don't have much hope.  I suspect I'll need to put the file on a USB memory stick and plug it directly into the TV set.  That might work better.  It's not a big deal.  I'm just enjoying trying out all the features on the TV.  It's kind of like breaking in a new PC.

By comparison....we got married at the tail end of our sophomore year at K.U.  Not much money available.  Our first TV was an old.....reconditioned Motorola table-top unit with a 12" B & W screen.  VHF only, of course.  What a difference 58 years have made.  Oh yeah....I forgot....we paid a whopping $25 for that old TV set.Smiley Face Cheering.gif

5 of 5 (186 Views)