Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Uverse vs Directv

Scholar

Uverse vs Directv

So, I  am walking through Walmart and I was approached by a person wanting to know about my cable  provider.  When I told him Uverse, he became excited and starting trying to convince me to switch Directv explaining how much money I could save.  Why would AT&T try and convince me to change service that would pay them less?

Message 1 of 16
Professor

Re: Uverse vs Directv

After 1 year, the price goes up with DirecTV. U-Verse doesn't require a satellite so I would stick with that regardless of what offer the Walmart guy pitched you to get you to switch. Smiley Happy
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 16

We have been with AT&T forever (land line and wireless satchel phone)!  We were the first to get U-verse when it was new to our neighborhood. We signed up with a sales person that was going door to door through the neighborhood. (We had Time Warner at the time.) Fast forward 10 years ... and we were surprised when a sales person showed up wanting us to change to Direct-TV. What's up with that??  They told my husband that new laws have created issues that will allow U-verse to charge a lot more for "data" than if we switched to Direct-TV.  Never knew we had a limited amount of "data" to watch U-verse here at home. What gives?  Is this a slight of hand to switch from a deal that we have never used all the allowable data on to a deal that changes the allowable data to an amount we CAN go over? 

Message 3 of 16
Employee

Do you have Uverse IPTV service?

If yes, nothing needs to change, your are covered for "unlimited" internet usage.

If no' during the past several months the company has sent notices (including billing statements) that effective May 23, data caps (internet usage) are being raised AND being enforced.

Previous Uverse had a 250G cap that was un enforced.

Now for those with 6M internet or less the cap is 300G.

For those with internet speeds of 12M to 75M the cap is 600G.

The overages is $10 per 50G up to $100 per month.

You may subscribe to unlimited for an extra $30 per month over you current billing ($1/day)

Or you may subscribe to either Uverse TV or DirecTv to have the $30 fee "waived" providing unlimited internet.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 16

We are not techies. 12M 75M 600G cap ??? IPTV service ???  I confuse our U-Verse & our internet "limits".  Are they the same?  If we don't have U-Verse, and change to cable, what changes with the internet?  Friends are stopping their cable & watching TV on other products on the internet...Amazon, Hulu, YouTube, etc. My husband is a sports fan so we need cable. We're retired and spend $350.00 a month (includes $55 discount) with AT&T for Land Line, internet, U-Verse and 3 wireless accounts. My husband is very frustrated with AT&T right now. I appreciate your response and listining to my rant.

Message 5 of 16
ACE - Expert

You have Uverse TV bundled with Uverse internet.  You have no internet data limit. 

Ignore what salespeople tell you.  They'll tell you anything to get a sale.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 16
ACE - Expert

I'll confirm what skeeter said.  To make it short:  The unscruplous third party sales agents used by DirecTV will say anything to get a sale... occasionally it's true.  They've cruised my local Sam's for years, and I laugh at them when they try to get me a switch.

The truth is that either a DirecTV account with combined billing or U-verse TV would have the same unlimited Internet service.  You may get a new promotional rate on your Internet service bundled with DirecTV, but that will expire after a few months.  If you're happy with U-verse TV, keep it.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 16
Observer

I currently have dish network.  We also have our internet with AT&T.  We are thinking of changing to either U-verse or Direct TV.  Any suggestions would be helpful.  We are a retired couple and have a limited budget.  Thank you.  Tina

Message 8 of 16
Visitor

The DirectTV guys are hitting my neighborhood hard.  I've had 2 salesmen at the door and I came across the guy attacking WalMart customers.  The last door to door salesman told me that AT&T is going to get rid of Uverse in the next two years, so they want everyone to move over to DirectTV.   

I had DirectTV years ago but jumped to Uverse when it became available in my area.  I love it and don't want to go back.

Message 9 of 16
ACE - Expert

AT&T is still offering U-verse TV customers agreements with 24 month terms.  Apparently it's not going away any sooner than that.  

When do you know a DIRECTV salesman is lying to you?  His lips are moving.

Message 10 of 16
Visitor

Don't do it!  I'm four days into the switch from uverse to DIRECTV and just got off the phone with ATT INSISTING they switch me back.  The DIRECTV is easily five years behind technology wise, the remote, channel guides etc are not intuitive and the features and picture quality are about half that of unverse.  Why the ATT rep pushed us so hard to make the switch is anyone's guess but I've NEVER lost signal with unversed, already had that issue multiple times in less than a week with DIRECTV...AND (here's the kicker) they only give you a "24 hour grace period" to switch back.  Wonder why they inacted THAT policy?  DIRECTV is garbage.

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just for your information only I am a heavy streamer streaming everyday Netflix or other services.  My internet usage was 50 Gigs.  You would have to stream 24 hours a day and you won't come close to 500 gigs.

Message 12 of 16
Visitor

According to ATT's website announcement early 2017, U-verse was supposed to "merge" (?) with Direct TV in May of 2017.  That merger has been delayed, supposedly for. Up to one year.  

My question: U-verse is fiber optic based and does not require a dish.  Direct TV is satelite based and requires a dish.  After the merger, will all customers require a dish?  I.e., what is the surviving technology - fiber or satellite?  Or do they both stay?  

What about ATT DSL?

Message 13 of 16
Employee

Based upon announcement in November 2012, ATT is heading for all IP based by 2020.... Thus legacy DSL should be shut down by 2020.

The announcement concerning Uverse IPTV and DirecTv was to be one platform.

Gateway and set top boxes that could do either service, original announcement in late 2015 was would take three years to accomplish (4th quarter 2018).

In my mind, the most likely long term solution would be ATT (Uverse) internet with tv service as a streaming app similiar to Netflix (read as DirecTv Now) OR cloud based DVR (available on DirecTv Now 4th quarter 2017) with all wireless receivers similar to DTV mini genies.

The current Uverse receivers are running Microsoft CE Windows using MediaRoom which was purchased by Ericcison.

Thus any receiver software updates are performed by Ericcison. The Microsoft servers sooner or later will have to be shut down (how long does Microsoft support any software release, Windows XP support was turned off in 2014.).

These are just my thoughts and do not reflect any knowledge of what company long term plans are. But if TW Media purchased is completed later this year or early next, I am expecting a big shift in both management and company goals.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 14 of 16
Teacher

i had same experience.  he didn't want to talk to me (couldn't get away from me fast enough!) anymore after i told him of my 6 month battle to get uverse reinstalled and directv billling off our account.  our mistake was not getting a satisfaction guarantee in writing to switch back if we didn't like it.  i have learned to do all communication via chatline so as to have a record of promises/offers made.   up to this point, we had been loyal AT&T customers for at least 30 years.  that doesn't mean much anymore.

Message 15 of 16
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support