Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Uverse phase-out report

Visitor

Uverse phase-out report

I have been a loyal customer through problems and constant billing increases since 2009. I'm currently on the U450 package and Internet subscription.

I have enjoyed the One America News channel immensely with it resembling the original Headline News channel without the 'bias' of big corporations. However, I now see where OAN is reporting a planned "phase-out" of Uverse where AT&T is not building set-top boxes and pushing subscribers to Direct TV where the OAN and AWE channels will not be offered. From addage "AT&T is phasing out the U-verse TV service as it pushes new customers to newly acquired DirecTV, a sign the company is giving up on once-heralded plans to compete head-on with cable through telephone lines."

I cannot tell you how dismayed and disappointed I am of this news. I want to appeal to CEO Randall Stephenson that this loyal subscriber wants him to change this reported direction, keep the U-Verse service and honor the original agreement on DirecTV to have the OAN and AWE channels not only on U-Verse but also on DirecTV!

I also appeal to all readers of this to join me in communicating directly to CEO Randall Stephenson on his email [edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.] asking the same. Many thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 31
Professor

Re: Uverse phase-out report

Maybe the moderators need to lock this thread. Nothing gained by bickering back and forth.
Message 16 of 31
ACE - Master

@browndk26 wrote:
Maybe the moderators need to lock this thread. Nothing gained by bickering back and forth.

Yep.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 31
Traveler

Well, AT&T recently (as in in the past month) spent a bunch of money running fiber into my neighborhood and gave me some great incentives to switch from DirecTV to Uverse, so I think the reports of Uverse's demise have been greatly exaggerated.

Message 18 of 31

Phasing out means just that. Few if any enhancements, no new equipment, no new channels or offerings, no incentives to stay on the platform etc.. 

Fortunately for me, my wish-list for U-verse has gone way, way down. Sure, it would be nice to have real on-demand programming, but the networks own web sites, Amazon, Netflix and Itunes can do in a pinch. Sure, it would be nice to have the NHL network, but you can stream all the hockey you want for a relatively small price. 

Paraphrasing our President, if you like your U-verse, you can keep your U-Verse. 

Message 19 of 31
Traveler

Ok, for all you people believing the tripe that 'we will never be forced to Direct TV', you obviously have not learned from the history of how these things work.

Yeah, they may say that for now to pacify us.  But rest assured, their long term plan is to discontinue uverse television in a few years.  Why?  because just like mobile phones,  satellite infrastructure is so much cheaper to maintain, any they will continue to charge the same high prices and reap even higher profits.  Like any unregulated monopoly, it's the bottom line that matters, not good service for the customer.  ( We only have to look at the airline industry for an excellent example of this )  Meanwhile, we are stuck with unsightly satellite dishes and television that only works in good weather.    This is the result when all those people wishing for less government regulation of near-monopolies get what they want.

How will they force us to switch?  Some people look only at the bottom line; it will be easy for them to switch those folks.   For those of us holdouts, they will continue to increase the price of Uverse ridiculously to make us question the value of holding out.   Then finally, when there are a few holdouts left, they will announce the end of Uverse TV.   

Come visit this reply in a few years and see if I was right....

Message 20 of 31
Expert

@browndk26 wrote:

No, what we need is definate info on what is going to happen to faithful Uverse users who can't or won't go to Direc/TV. 

Another neighbor in my 4 family flat got Direc/TV and his dish is aimed at a leaf-less tree right now.  I just want to see what his service is like in July when all the leaves are back. Smiley LOL

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message 21 of 31
Employee

The extent that I can speculate is that AT&T wants to stream line service lines via dtv or uverse. They both will probably be branded something along the line of ATT TV or the likes. We are still installing uverse pretty heavy to this day. DTV is slightly cheaper and they are offering it as a go to as they dont have to look up anyones address first that are calling in as uverse tv is not available every where. Both systems in my opinion will be merged together. As AT&T rolls out more fiber wired services may become just as cheap as dtv. It is probably to early to make any call, but most likely there will be a blending of technology as there will be people that dont want a dish or dont have line of sight for a dish. For those reasons I believe they will be blended together in due time.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 22 of 31
Traveler

We have Uverse but will switch to Comcast, we do do not want Direct TV. My mom had it and lost signal every time it stormed We will be switching everything including phones, TV and internet if Uverse shuts down.
Message 23 of 31
Mentor

Many of us feel exactly the same way. I like U-verse but I will not move to Direct TV. We have Google Fiber and I will probably go there.

Message 24 of 31
Traveler

Uverse came through our neighborhood so we changed from Comcast thinking Uverse would be better but I now wish we had stayed with Comcast. What a disappointment this has been!
Message 25 of 31
Expert

@5grandkids @scottshiv  There will be no dish, it'll all be online. Smiley Very Happy

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message 26 of 31
Observer

I am also extremely upset for the exact same reason. I will not change until AT&T cArries OAN . If I do switch it won't be to Direct. Wake up AT$T...
Message 27 of 31
Mentor

If you have gigapower and can deliver tvoip over a a 1gbps connection, what sense does it make to deliver TV over some antique satellite dish from the 90s? Guess I'll switch to Comcast if they do that as I actually like watching TV when it rains!
Message 28 of 31
Visitor

I have been a long time Uverse user/fan.  A few months ago,I agreed to a one year contract with Uverse.  If after this contract is over, and Uverse is no longer a valued option, I will unhappily go back to cable, because I don't want a dish on my house.  I have seen the poor reliability of dish/direct tv; that is why I haven't signed on to it in the past (no matter who's the provider).    

If ATT really does phase out U-verse, I think it is a major mistake.  I am holding on to the hope, ATT sees this error and fixes it.

Message 29 of 31
Contributor

I've been with ATT for 6 years and in the last yearw my Uverse singal constantly drops, after speaking with CS for the uptenth time another tech was sent out, he changed out the router and mentioned i could swith to the dish for free..I declined and let him know it's widely know that the dish goes out anytime it rains and working from home sometimes i can't afford to lose connections like that so i choose to stay with Uverse. I asked this guy is that what they are really doing..getting everyone to swith to the dish, he said that is what the company wants but he doesn't force it on the customers and yes the dish signal do drop when it rains or storms.  Needless to say the drop in signals from Uverse has gotten worse than ever..my tv drops every 15 minutes, my internet connection drops atleast once a day. I don't know what to do, my complex is totally with AT&T now. But i can't keep paying $$$ for sporadic service.

Message 30 of 31
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support