Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Uverse phase-out report

Visitor

Uverse phase-out report

I have been a loyal customer through problems and constant billing increases since 2009. I'm currently on the U450 package and Internet subscription.

 

I have enjoyed the One America News channel immensely with it resembling the original Headline News channel without the 'bias' of big corporations. However, I now see where OAN is reporting a planned "phase-out" of Uverse where AT&T is not building set-top boxes and pushing subscribers to Direct TV where the OAN and AWE channels will not be offered. From addage "AT&T is phasing out the U-verse TV service as it pushes new customers to newly acquired DirecTV, a sign the company is giving up on once-heralded plans to compete head-on with cable through telephone lines."

 

I cannot tell you how dismayed and disappointed I am of this news. I want to appeal to CEO Randall Stephenson that this loyal subscriber wants him to change this reported direction, keep the U-Verse service and honor the original agreement on DirecTV to have the OAN and AWE channels not only on U-Verse but also on DirecTV!

 

I also appeal to all readers of this to join me in communicating directly to CEO Randall Stephenson on his email [edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.] asking the same. Many thanks in advance!

13,344 Views
Message 1 of 31
ACE - Expert

Re: Uverse phase-out report

The analysts are reading tea leaves, which is what they're paid to do.  However, they're often as accurate as a weatherman on his 7 day forecast.

 

AT&T has said they're going to common equipment for U-verse TV and DIRECTV.  Which means that, yes, they've quit investing in the current U-verse TV equipment and may not want too many new customers right now depleting their set top inventory.

 

Yes, they're giving the sales force large incentives to sell DIRECTV and offering big discounts; they have to show that buying the slumping DIRECTV wasn't the mistake some tea-leaf readers said it was at the outset.

 

If satellite is the only way to get AT&T TV in the future, then I'll no longer be an AT&T TV customer.

 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 31
Mentor

Re: Uverse phase-out report

I just saw that too. I had no idea AT&T was phasing out U-Verse. I just the other day signed a new 1 year contract so at least I'm hopefully good for a year. I would prefer not to have satellite so the incentives would have to be very very very very good. I don't like those dishes on my roof or in my yard. They are trashy looking. We'll see how all this pans out.

Message 3 of 31
Visitor

Re: Uverse phase-out report

My wife and I love uverse and OAN NEWS CHANNEL.  we will leave uverse as soon as our contract ends and I will be looking for alternative sources as of right now.  if i wanted direct tv i would have chosen it.  EVERY TIME A STORM COMES FROM THE SOUTHWEST IT CUTS OFF HERE.  when companies do this type of merging and force viewers to do things they dont want to do they loose business.  streaming is the future. look at xm and the low quality sound they have in comparison to spotify.  not enough bandwidth from satellite since thay narrow bandwidth quality to save money.  THE american Taxpayer provided the money and technology for satellites, now we have to pay for commercials and all the other junk the satellite companies shove down our throats.  YOUR POLITICIANS AT WORK..

 

Message 4 of 31
Expert

Re: Uverse phase-out report

@xraydoc911  @bartlett16  @abrad321   ATT announced last week they are not shutting down Uverse, anyone that wants or needs to stay on Uverse can.  No one will be forced to DirecTV service against their will. Smiley Wink

 

Chris
__________________________________________________________

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message 5 of 31
Mentor

Re: Uverse phase-out report

Hi Chris,

 

I don't think they are shutting U-verse down but they are phasing it out. They are offering better deals to get customers to go with Direct TV. They aren't buying anymore Uverse updated equipment, etc. They want to eventually get everyone with Direct-TV is my understanding. They aren't shutting it down right now but phasing it out...probably waiting for everyone's contracts to end and maybe not renewing in the future.

Message 6 of 31
Expert

Re: Uverse phase-out report


abrad321 wrote:

Hi Chris,

 

I don't think they are shutting U-verse down but they are phasing it out. They are offering better deals to get customers to go with Direct TV. They aren't buying anymore Uverse updated equipment, etc. They want to eventually get everyone with Direct-TV is my understanding. They aren't shutting it down right now but phasing it out...probably waiting for everyone's contracts to end and maybe not renewing in the future.


Nope, they are keeping it Uverse from what was it was reported by the ATT rep.  What you say about DVR/STBs is correct, no longer being built. I and thousands of others are not on contracts.

 

There will be a Home Media Gateway built on slim hardware profile w/DirecTV architeture that becomes a 1CPE in-home installation handling routing, accesss and storage.  This would indicate program material coming from the 'cloud'. Smiley Surprised

 

http://www.fiercecable.com/story/att-stop-investing-u-verse-cpe-will-move-new-home-architecture-usin...

 

Chris
__________________________________________________________

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message 7 of 31
Mentor

Re: Uverse phase-out report

I am kinda confused about this. After reading the link it seems that U-verse customers will have to get a dish but will receive Dirct TV through their broadband connection like we do now? 

Message 8 of 31
Expert

Re: Uverse phase-out report


scottshiv wrote:

I am kinda confused about this. After reading the link it seems that U-verse customers will have to get a dish but will receive Dirct TV through their broadband connection like we do now? 


No, the little screen of ATT's house made w/this presentation had a small DirecTV dish on the roof.  ATT broadband, 3rd party boadband and 4G LTE can also come into the Home Media Gateway.

 

So, ATT broadband carries Uverse TV. Smiley Wink

 

Chris
__________________________________________________________

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message 9 of 31
Mentor

Re: Uverse phase-out report

If I wanted Dirct TV, I would have chosen it in 2008 when I made the switch from TWC. It looks like at some point as muc as I hate to I will be going back to TVC or see if Google Fiber has an opening.

Message 10 of 31
Voyager

Re: Uverse phase-out report

Mr. Stephenson I want to personally thank you for the letter I received in the mail outlining what the future plans were for your loyal U-Verse customers.  Oh wait...that didn't happen.  Yeah, I had to hear about this from the news media and OANN. 

 

U-Verse came to our neighborhood two years ago and I was happy to finally have a choice and leave Comcast. Now it looks like I’ll be looking for another type of provider this coming October.

 

As far as some of the answers given by "ACE - Experts", stop confusing people here.  What do you think "phasing out" means?  It means AT&T U-Verse is going to be shut down, as in no services anymore.

 

DirecTV has always had a terrible reputation and just because AT&T bought it won't change that. 

 

 

Message 11 of 31
ACE - Master

Re: Uverse phase-out report


moonsbreath wrote:

Mr. Stephenson I want to personally thank you for the letter I received in the mail outlining what the future plans were for your loyal U-Verse customers.  Oh wait...that didn't happen.  Yeah, I had to hear about this from the news media and OANN. 

 

U-Verse came to our neighborhood two years ago and I was happy to finally have a choice and leave Comcast. Now it looks like I’ll be looking for another type of provider this coming October.

 

As far as some of the answers given by "ACE - Experts", stop confusing people here.  What do you think "phasing out" means?  It means AT&T U-Verse is going to be shut down, as in no services anymore.

 

DirecTV has always had a terrible reputation and just because AT&T bought it won't change that. 

 

 


The thread is titled "U-Verse phase out report" but then OANN comes up in most of the posts.  Is OANN scared that they might lose what little "cable" prescence that they have?  Dunno but someone seems to be directing folks to this thread into the Lounge, which gets very little foot (click?)  traffic

 

Long story short, no one knows the future.  The folks at OANN who pushed folks here, don't know what the future holds.  The ACEs are only guessing at what will happen in the end.  We don't 100% know.  There are employees who get on here and say "don't believe what many (most?) other employees are saying."  Someone must have saw/heard something but even they don't know.

 

AT&T paid LOTS of money to get Direct TV.  I bet that they are trying to get as many folks to sign up for Direct to recapture some of their fleeting money.  Just my guess as, wait for it, wait for it .... I don't really know. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 12 of 31
Voyager

Re: Uverse phase-out report

The fact is as I stated, I, as a paying customer would have liked to have been notified by U-Verse that they are "phasing out" "shutting down" or whatever you wish to call this service.  Unfortunately, I found this out by yes watching a little news program that doesn't have a large presence, but apparently it's enough for you to reply with a snarky comment.  If you wish, omit OANN from what I posted and from what others have posted, the problem still remains...as you said "no ones knows"....wait for it...shouldn't they?

 

P.S.  OANN hasn't directed anyone here to post; however, I have directed AT&T U-Verse & DirecTV customers to post here as is our right as paying customers.

Message 13 of 31
ACE - Master

Re: Uverse phase-out report


moonsbreath wrote:

The fact is as I stated, I, as a paying customer would have liked to have been notified by U-Verse that they are "phasing out" "shutting down" or whatever you wish to call this service.  Unfortunately, I found this out by yes watching a little news program that doesn't have a large presence, but apparently it's enough for you to reply with a snarky comment.  If you wish, omit OANN from what I posted and from what others have posted, the problem still remains...as you said "no ones knows"....wait for it...shouldn't they?

 

P.S.  OANN hasn't directed anyone here to post; however, I have directed AT&T U-Verse & DirecTV customers to post here as is our right as paying customers.


Again, no one is saying that U-Verse is being phased out or shut down.  What we do know is that all AT&T TV customers will be using the same equipment.  Direct TV subs will get their TV via  a dish and U-Verse customers via the fiber/copper arrangement that we have always had and love.  Add me to the list, however, if UV goes away, I will too.

 

No snarkiness here, just reality.  We've been down this post flooding route before.  Glenn Beck once in a while complains on his radio show that U-Verse does not carry his amazing network "The Blaze."  Within minutes, the posts start flooding in.

 

Again, don't sweat the small stuff, I doubt UV will go anywhere but AT&T has to show to the shareholders that they got their billions (with a b) worth for buying Direct TV.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 14 of 31
Expert

Re: Uverse phase-out report


moonsbreath wrote:

The fact is as I stated, I, as a paying customer would have liked to have been notified by U-Verse that they are "phasing out" "shutting down" or whatever you wish to call this service.  Unfortunately, I found this out by yes watching a little news program that doesn't have a large presence, but apparently it's enough for you to reply with a snarky comment.  If you wish, omit OANN from what I posted and from what others have posted, the problem still remains...as you said "no ones knows"....wait for it...shouldn't they?

 

P.S.  OANN hasn't directed anyone here to post; however, I have directed AT&T U-Verse & DirecTV customers to post here as is our right as paying customers.


ATT is not being shut down, just inaccurate reporting.  Having a little knowlege can be dangerous.

 

ATT has announced this, if anyone does not want to leave Uverse for any reason, they can stay. Smiley Wink

 

Chris
__________________________________________________________

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message 15 of 31
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support