Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Aug 2, 2013
2:55:54 PM
UVerse vs Comcast Xfinity

I have been a UVerse internet & phone customer since March 2010 and before that was a DSL customer with Bellsouth/AT&T.  Recently Comcast was in the area doing a promotion, so I signed up for their 30-day trial.  UVerse in my neighborhood is limited to 18Mbps so I wanted to test drive Xfinity's 50MBps as well as their phone service.  I kept UVerse active while trying Xfinity in case I didn't like Comcast.

The bottom line, after 17 days I am dropping Comcast and sticking with UVerse, and thought I would share my experience in case it helps others.  Some background:  I'm in a South Florida neighborhood (Pompano Beach area) built in the early 1970's and we have old Bellsouth pedestals in our yards (and mine is OLD).  The UVerse VRAD in the middle of the neighborhood is anywhere from 700 to 3000 feet from my house (depending on which way the underground cabling gets from the VRAD to my house).  I do not have Uverse TV or any cable, just internet & phone.  I also have an alarm system that uses dial-up to communicate to the central station.  AT&T told me they cannot do 24Mbps in this neighborhood, so the highest I can go is 18.

The biggest reason I'm staying with UVerse: RELIABILITY.  Since switching to UVerse from DSL in March 2010, it has gone down ONCE, and even then I just had to cycle power to the UVerse router.  It's just rock solid reliable, even with the lousy pedestal in my yard that used to give us fits with standard DSL.  It's pretty stable at around 16-18 Mbps and bad weather never affects it.  Phone calls always work and never have noise.  Alarm system has never had problems using the line.  Anonymous call reject works mostly well (some oddball numbers like "1" still get through) and I can block up to 20 numbers.

The biggest reason to stay with Xfinity: 50MBps.  However my family didn't notice a huge difference (they're all non-techies) and even complained to me that some pages loaded slower or not at all.  I noticed faster replication with Lotus Notes on my company's VPN, and pages do seem to load faster, but nothing earth shattering.  Video streaming on Youtube and Amazon Prime had no difference between the two.  The phone sometimes had some IP-phone-sounding noise on it (i.e. choppy, small noise bursts, etc), but nothing major, yet noticable since UVerse never had any of this.  Anonymous call reject does seem to work better (no weird numbers getting through) but you're limited to 16 numbers blocked.

I was ready to cancel UVerse, but on the 17th day, Comcast had an area outage for at least 3 hours starting around 9pm.  During that time we had no phone or internet, which also meant no alarm central station monitoring.  It made me realize how stable UVerse had been and that we've never had an outage like this.  I was away on a trip and thought about my family - what if someone broke in?  911 would only be available by cellphone, if they could reach it.

So for me, the slower but steady & reliable UVerse is staying. I don't know how reliable it is elsewhere but it works great here. This is hard for me because I WANT faster speed!  I really wanted Xfinity to work, and I might keep just the internet part (trying to figure out how to justify the extra cost of having both!).  I read today that AT&T is testing faster speeds in other markets, so I have hopes that this will result in them upping speeds to 45 Mbps here sometime in the future.

Anyway I hope this helps those trying to decide which service to use for internet and phone.

I have been a UVerse internet & phone customer since March 2010 and before that was a DSL customer with Bellsouth/AT&T.  Recently Comcast was in the area doing a promotion, so I signed up for their 30-day trial.  UVerse in my neighborhood is limited to 18Mbps so I wanted to test drive Xfinity's 50MBps as well as their phone service.  I kept UVerse active while trying Xfinity in case I didn't like Comcast.

The bottom line, after 17 days I am dropping Comcast and sticking with UVerse, and thought I would share my experience in case it helps others.  Some background:  I'm in a South Florida neighborhood (Pompano Beach area) built in the early 1970's and we have old Bellsouth pedestals in our yards (and mine is OLD).  The UVerse VRAD in the middle of the neighborhood is anywhere from 700 to 3000 feet from my house (depending on which way the underground cabling gets from the VRAD to my house).  I do not have Uverse TV or any cable, just internet & phone.  I also have an alarm system that uses dial-up to communicate to the central station.  AT&T told me they cannot do 24Mbps in this neighborhood, so the highest I can go is 18.

The biggest reason I'm staying with UVerse: RELIABILITY.  Since switching to UVerse from DSL in March 2010, it has gone down ONCE, and even then I just had to cycle power to the UVerse router.  It's just rock solid reliable, even with the lousy pedestal in my yard that used to give us fits with standard DSL.  It's pretty stable at around 16-18 Mbps and bad weather never affects it.  Phone calls always work and never have noise.  Alarm system has never had problems using the line.  Anonymous call reject works mostly well (some oddball numbers like "1" still get through) and I can block up to 20 numbers.

The biggest reason to stay with Xfinity: 50MBps.  However my family didn't notice a huge difference (they're all non-techies) and even complained to me that some pages loaded slower or not at all.  I noticed faster replication with Lotus Notes on my company's VPN, and pages do seem to load faster, but nothing earth shattering.  Video streaming on Youtube and Amazon Prime had no difference between the two.  The phone sometimes had some IP-phone-sounding noise on it (i.e. choppy, small noise bursts, etc), but nothing major, yet noticable since UVerse never had any of this.  Anonymous call reject does seem to work better (no weird numbers getting through) but you're limited to 16 numbers blocked.

I was ready to cancel UVerse, but on the 17th day, Comcast had an area outage for at least 3 hours starting around 9pm.  During that time we had no phone or internet, which also meant no alarm central station monitoring.  It made me realize how stable UVerse had been and that we've never had an outage like this.  I was away on a trip and thought about my family - what if someone broke in?  911 would only be available by cellphone, if they could reach it.

So for me, the slower but steady & reliable UVerse is staying. I don't know how reliable it is elsewhere but it works great here. This is hard for me because I WANT faster speed!  I really wanted Xfinity to work, and I might keep just the internet part (trying to figure out how to justify the extra cost of having both!).  I read today that AT&T is testing faster speeds in other markets, so I have hopes that this will result in them upping speeds to 45 Mbps here sometime in the future.

Anyway I hope this helps those trying to decide which service to use for internet and phone.

UVerse vs Comcast Xfinity

58 replies
(2) Me too
(2) Me too
View all replies
(58)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2014 4:05:06 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Jwil736 wrote:

I worked for Comcast as an installer. Their internet service (when working) is top notch. About once a month (usually late at night so it doesn't effect too many people) they do line maintnance. This is due to ever changing demand. Everyone in a neighborhood is feeding off a "node" which regulates service. These nodes from time to time need tweaking to offer better bandwidth to the neighborhood based on demand. 

The ocassional modem and router reboot is no big problem. You unplug the power thirty seconds and plug back in, you're back in business. 

My my mother just dropped UVerse for Comcast because of the speed. Her UVerse was at risk of being throttled (Slowed down due to using a preset, by att, amount of data). 

Ummmm, nope.  AT&T does not meter UVerse.  If she was DSL then there is a 150GB cap, but UVerse is not capped. 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

Jwil736 wrote:

I worked for Comcast as an installer. Their internet service (when working) is top notch. About once a month (usually late at night so it doesn't effect too many people) they do line maintnance. This is due to ever changing demand. Everyone in a neighborhood is feeding off a "node" which regulates service. These nodes from time to time need tweaking to offer better bandwidth to the neighborhood based on demand. 

The ocassional modem and router reboot is no big problem. You unplug the power thirty seconds and plug back in, you're back in business. 

My my mother just dropped UVerse for Comcast because of the speed. Her UVerse was at risk of being throttled (Slowed down due to using a preset, by att, amount of data). 

Ummmm, nope.  AT&T does not meter UVerse.  If she was DSL then there is a 150GB cap, but UVerse is not capped. 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: UVerse vs Comcast Xfinity

31 of 59 (4,780 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2014 7:17:04 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

oufanindallas wrote:

Jwil736 wrote:

Are you sure?  The way I understand it , if you have U-Verse internet but not UV TV, they do meter it.  Is that not correct?

oufanindallas wrote:

Jwil736 wrote:

Are you sure?  The way I understand it , if you have U-Verse internet but not UV TV, they do meter it.  Is that not correct?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

32 of 59 (4,760 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2014 7:20:32 AM
(0)
Employee
Edited by my thoughts on Mar 28, 2014 at 7:24:43 AM

Uverse has 250GB cap, not being enforced, but may be metered, but not throttled like DSL 150GB, to my knowledge.

i think the key to post was "at risk of being throttled", which is true if ever enforced, but not currently being throttled.

Uverse has 250GB cap, not being enforced, but may be metered, but not throttled like DSL 150GB, to my knowledge.

i think the key to post was "at risk of being throttled", which is true if ever enforced, but not currently being throttled.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
33 of 59 (4,758 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2014 11:18:04 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Thanks for the clarificon, (hey a new word) my thoughts.

Thanks for the clarificon, (hey a new word) my thoughts.

34 of 59 (4,749 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 31, 2014 3:49:06 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

What's funny about dropping UVerse for Comcast, Comcast has caps that are enforced depending on which package you have.  It's anywhere from 300GB for most plans to 600GB the higher speed, more expensive plans.

What's funny about dropping UVerse for Comcast, Comcast has caps that are enforced depending on which package you have.  It's anywhere from 300GB for most plans to 600GB the higher speed, more expensive plans.

35 of 59 (4,654 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2014 11:49:48 AM
(0)
Visitor

Who uses more the 250 GB. I assume that is month to month. If a family uses more than that must not have much of a life...

Who uses more the 250 GB. I assume that is month to month. If a family uses more than that must not have much of a life...

36 of 59 (4,496 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2014 5:15:43 PM
(0)
Observer

Will they actually change the price back? I have been shopping elsewhere simply to get a lower rate. 

Will they actually change the price back? I have been shopping elsewhere simply to get a lower rate. 

37 of 59 (4,446 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2014 11:19:13 PM
(0)
Traveler

If you have the 50mbps service and you are only pulling down about 24mbps I can gurantee that your wireless router is the problem.  You probably either have a End of Life cable modem which is not DOCSIS 3.0 compliant, and if your renting the device from Comcast you would have received a letter which you probably ignored providing you with details how to replace your End of Life Device.  If you do have a DOCSIS 3.0 compliant cable modem and you have a Wireless G router than the problem is with your router which is causing the problem.  The easiest test which you probably have avoided is to plug your device directly into your cable modem, power cycle the modem, and run a speed test and if as stated above all the equipment is DOCSIS 3.0 compliant you will achieve 50mbps download speeds.  If your equipment is NOT DOCSIS 3.0 compliant equipment you will achieve the 25mpbs download speeds.  I have the blast service with Comcast which was just upgraded again and I receive 120mbps down.  Thanks Comcast and never back to UVerse again.

If you have the 50mbps service and you are only pulling down about 24mbps I can gurantee that your wireless router is the problem.  You probably either have a End of Life cable modem which is not DOCSIS 3.0 compliant, and if your renting the device from Comcast you would have received a letter which you probably ignored providing you with details how to replace your End of Life Device.  If you do have a DOCSIS 3.0 compliant cable modem and you have a Wireless G router than the problem is with your router which is causing the problem.  The easiest test which you probably have avoided is to plug your device directly into your cable modem, power cycle the modem, and run a speed test and if as stated above all the equipment is DOCSIS 3.0 compliant you will achieve 50mbps download speeds.  If your equipment is NOT DOCSIS 3.0 compliant equipment you will achieve the 25mpbs download speeds.  I have the blast service with Comcast which was just upgraded again and I receive 120mbps down.  Thanks Comcast and never back to UVerse again.

38 of 59 (4,394 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2014 11:23:19 PM
(0)
Traveler

Comcast is not capped! Comcast no longer caps their service to 250GB usage anymore for over 2 years now, lol... And if you went over 250GB, they wouldn't auto cap you, it would take a consistent basis of you going over the cap and constantly being contacted by the Comcast Security Assurance for that to happen. It doesn't even matter anymore because they no longer cap.

Comcast is not capped! Comcast no longer caps their service to 250GB usage anymore for over 2 years now, lol... And if you went over 250GB, they wouldn't auto cap you, it would take a consistent basis of you going over the cap and constantly being contacted by the Comcast Security Assurance for that to happen. It doesn't even matter anymore because they no longer cap.

39 of 59 (4,393 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2014 4:21:59 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by oufanindallas on Apr 18, 2014 at 4:26:44 AM

TuckkcuT wrote:

Umm, yes they do, I provided a link to the their caps that was updated 4/18/2014.  They still cap and if they succeed in aquiring TWC, it will be an increase of about 20% in the amount of US internet customers that are being capped. Here is the link again While it is no long 250GB, it is still an enforced cap.

TuckkcuT wrote:

Umm, yes they do, I provided a link to the their caps that was updated 4/18/2014.  They still cap and if they succeed in aquiring TWC, it will be an increase of about 20% in the amount of US internet customers that are being capped. Here is the link again While it is no long 250GB, it is still an enforced cap.

[ Edited ]
40 of 59 (4,386 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2014 10:50:18 PM
(0)
Professor
It's vice versa. Comcast bought NBC.
It's vice versa. Comcast bought NBC.

41 of 59 (4,255 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2014 10:54:08 PM
(0)
Professor

KlarkKen wrote:
Since NBC bought Xfinity it's been a steady downhill roll. I'm a techie by trade and haven't had any issues downloading files or assisting customers remotely. There were times in my last month with Comcast that connections were so sketchy that I sat in the parking lot at McDonalds to have internet access so I could get any work done.

No, Comcast bought NBC. NBC did not buy Comcast.

KlarkKen wrote:
Since NBC bought Xfinity it's been a steady downhill roll. I'm a techie by trade and haven't had any issues downloading files or assisting customers remotely. There were times in my last month with Comcast that connections were so sketchy that I sat in the parking lot at McDonalds to have internet access so I could get any work done.

No, Comcast bought NBC. NBC did not buy Comcast.

42 of 59 (4,253 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 13, 2014 9:20:03 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru

I have Xfinity in my mountain condo (not my choice, the condo people pay for it) and it is the WORST. If I could have anything else there, I would. The balcony is facing a mountain and not south so no satelite TV 

I have Xfinity in my mountain condo (not my choice, the condo people pay for it) and it is the WORST. If I could have anything else there, I would. The balcony is facing a mountain and not south so no satelite TV 

43 of 59 (4,128 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 25, 2014 6:41:50 PM
(0)
Traveler

I'm gonna write a rather long review on both ISPs as I have experienced internet with both at the same time, and can draw a conclusion based on them both during the same period.  Currently my configuration is the latest At&t modem and I am subscribed to the fastest in my area, which is 18 Mbps by 1.5 Mbps.  This is plenty for gaming, and my ping on average to local servers is from 25ms to 75ms.  This provides a pretty decent gaming experience, however my Comcast configuration is by FAR better.  With Comcast I am subscribed to 50 Mbps by 10 Mbps under a Home plan.  This gets local pings from 12ms to 50ms, but there is a bit of a catch with both ISPs.  At&ts ping originally was unsteady, until I got a proper secondary QoS Router which also manages its own DNS servers.  Now with At&t my ping floats around the same on both ISPs as it was very unperdictable prior to this change.  I must also explain that I have a Router that can support two incomming internets and balance my connection over the two lines.  It actually is helpful for everything but gaming, as gaming doesn't like the concept of changing IPs.  Otherwise, I get merged Speedtests and the lowest pings to websites and stuff like that depending on the website.

To be specific to At&t, I had them since 2005 when they first launched to my area.  Their TV was very buggy, and the speeds were 1.5 Mbps by 256 Kbps.  Ping was in the 100 range, but it was fine then.  Once I started gaming on it, I immediately upgraded to the 6 Mbps package.  It held up until other members began using the internet for other things like VoIP and Remote Desktop.  Eventually we upgraded to the 18 Mbps package, but we receive faster speeds when the TV is not in use, which is recent to 2014.  We now get 22 Mbps by 2 Mbps when TV is not in use.

Now for Comcast, we've been a customer since 2004 with them, and they have been pretty reliable.  This line was purchased and kept during our migration to U-verse as we were unaware what would become of At&t.  I'm glad I kept both these lines, but for a good amount of time we were only using the U-verse connection.  After we re-connected the Comcast modem and Router and purchased the load balancing router, the connections worked flawlessly together.  The speeds were very consistant with Comcast, and only a few outages.  Since we owned our own hardware and had underground wiring which we made sure was updated every 3-4 years, we were always on the latest.

I hope that gives you a better understanding on the two providers, but I do recommend Comcast 50 by 10 for a household that enjoys using the internet for streaming YouTube over multiple processes.

At&t is good for a small household that doesn't care about video quality and uses it for one to two people to check their e-mail.  

I'm gonna write a rather long review on both ISPs as I have experienced internet with both at the same time, and can draw a conclusion based on them both during the same period.  Currently my configuration is the latest At&t modem and I am subscribed to the fastest in my area, which is 18 Mbps by 1.5 Mbps.  This is plenty for gaming, and my ping on average to local servers is from 25ms to 75ms.  This provides a pretty decent gaming experience, however my Comcast configuration is by FAR better.  With Comcast I am subscribed to 50 Mbps by 10 Mbps under a Home plan.  This gets local pings from 12ms to 50ms, but there is a bit of a catch with both ISPs.  At&ts ping originally was unsteady, until I got a proper secondary QoS Router which also manages its own DNS servers.  Now with At&t my ping floats around the same on both ISPs as it was very unperdictable prior to this change.  I must also explain that I have a Router that can support two incomming internets and balance my connection over the two lines.  It actually is helpful for everything but gaming, as gaming doesn't like the concept of changing IPs.  Otherwise, I get merged Speedtests and the lowest pings to websites and stuff like that depending on the website.

To be specific to At&t, I had them since 2005 when they first launched to my area.  Their TV was very buggy, and the speeds were 1.5 Mbps by 256 Kbps.  Ping was in the 100 range, but it was fine then.  Once I started gaming on it, I immediately upgraded to the 6 Mbps package.  It held up until other members began using the internet for other things like VoIP and Remote Desktop.  Eventually we upgraded to the 18 Mbps package, but we receive faster speeds when the TV is not in use, which is recent to 2014.  We now get 22 Mbps by 2 Mbps when TV is not in use.

Now for Comcast, we've been a customer since 2004 with them, and they have been pretty reliable.  This line was purchased and kept during our migration to U-verse as we were unaware what would become of At&t.  I'm glad I kept both these lines, but for a good amount of time we were only using the U-verse connection.  After we re-connected the Comcast modem and Router and purchased the load balancing router, the connections worked flawlessly together.  The speeds were very consistant with Comcast, and only a few outages.  Since we owned our own hardware and had underground wiring which we made sure was updated every 3-4 years, we were always on the latest.

I hope that gives you a better understanding on the two providers, but I do recommend Comcast 50 by 10 for a household that enjoys using the internet for streaming YouTube over multiple processes.

At&t is good for a small household that doesn't care about video quality and uses it for one to two people to check their e-mail.  

44 of 59 (4,012 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2014 7:42:23 AM
(0)
Scholar

The last post deserves a reply, since I, too, have experienced both ISPs, but maybe later.

Forbes article detailing how Comcast (and other cablers) have seen a little uptick in subscribers recently.  They echo some of my own thoughts on how this will more than likely be short-lived.

One of the major bits to pay attention to (my emphasis):

Interestingly, Comcast’s pay-TV revenue has been moving upwards even with declining subscribers. The revenue moved up from $17.9 billion in 2007 to $21.2 billion in 2013. This can be attributed to rise in the average monthly subscription fee which moved up from $62 in 2007 to an estimated $81 in 2013. Comcast enters into various content agreements with different media houses. These contracts take into account annual price increases for the content (erm...hello Hallmark). It is safe to assume that a large portion of the cost increases is transferred onto end customers. The cable business is highly profitable for Comcast with EBITDA margins northward of 40%. We believe that the uptrend in average monthly fee will continue in the coming years and it will stand around $100 towards the end of the forecast period.

So, in short, while they've been losing customers, they've been passing higher prices on to their existing base.  Hey, remember Brian Roberts has to grease the skids of Washington to get Time Warner and Charter under their belt, and that money has to come from somewhere.  And that yacht doesn't staff itself.

The last post deserves a reply, since I, too, have experienced both ISPs, but maybe later.

Forbes article detailing how Comcast (and other cablers) have seen a little uptick in subscribers recently.  They echo some of my own thoughts on how this will more than likely be short-lived.

One of the major bits to pay attention to (my emphasis):

Interestingly, Comcast’s pay-TV revenue has been moving upwards even with declining subscribers. The revenue moved up from $17.9 billion in 2007 to $21.2 billion in 2013. This can be attributed to rise in the average monthly subscription fee which moved up from $62 in 2007 to an estimated $81 in 2013. Comcast enters into various content agreements with different media houses. These contracts take into account annual price increases for the content (erm...hello Hallmark). It is safe to assume that a large portion of the cost increases is transferred onto end customers. The cable business is highly profitable for Comcast with EBITDA margins northward of 40%. We believe that the uptrend in average monthly fee will continue in the coming years and it will stand around $100 towards the end of the forecast period.

So, in short, while they've been losing customers, they've been passing higher prices on to their existing base.  Hey, remember Brian Roberts has to grease the skids of Washington to get Time Warner and Charter under their belt, and that money has to come from somewhere.  And that yacht doesn't staff itself.

45 of 59 (3,844 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2014 9:15:18 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

RemixFusion wrote:

I have AT&T 12M/1.5M in a household with 5 Internet users with 2 heavy online gamers, and 3 regular viewers of online video.  We also record/watch multiple IPTV channels.  It holds up quite well.  And if it didn't, I could easily upgrade to 24M/3M.

RemixFusion wrote:

I have AT&T 12M/1.5M in a household with 5 Internet users with 2 heavy online gamers, and 3 regular viewers of online video.  We also record/watch multiple IPTV channels.  It holds up quite well.  And if it didn't, I could easily upgrade to 24M/3M.

46 of 59 (3,834 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 7, 2014 8:10:12 AM
(0)
Tutor

Reliability = AT&T

Raw speed (or 'boosted' speed) = Comcast

HOWEVER, from what I've found in older neighborhoods, Comcast is littered with massive noise, latency, and jitter.

I have issues watching videos on MLB.com, WatchESPN, WatchDisney, and other services due to old Comcast equipment that they refuse to upgrade (notably 350 or 500Mhz cabling).

I'm switching to Uverse.  18 or 25 or 50Mbps doesn't matter.  What matters is noise and reliability.

AT&T > Comcast.

Reliability = AT&T

Raw speed (or 'boosted' speed) = Comcast

HOWEVER, from what I've found in older neighborhoods, Comcast is littered with massive noise, latency, and jitter.

I have issues watching videos on MLB.com, WatchESPN, WatchDisney, and other services due to old Comcast equipment that they refuse to upgrade (notably 350 or 500Mhz cabling).

I'm switching to Uverse.  18 or 25 or 50Mbps doesn't matter.  What matters is noise and reliability.

AT&T > Comcast.

47 of 59 (3,800 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2014 4:45:06 PM
(0)
Mentor

Very good reason for me to stick with AT&T, well that and Comcast's politics. Uverse installers allways are neater than Comcast. The last Uverse installer here in this apartment stapled the Cat 5 from my computer to the RG along the wall for a while then freely across the floor to the RG.

Very good reason for me to stick with AT&T, well that and Comcast's politics. Uverse installers allways are neater than Comcast. The last Uverse installer here in this apartment stapled the Cat 5 from my computer to the RG along the wall for a while then freely across the floor to the RG.

48 of 59 (3,753 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 11, 2014 3:49:40 AM
(0)
Traveler

How come Xfinity TV service is so much better than UVerse? Xfinity had over 1000 free movies available and Uverse has a handful. HBO on demand at Xfinity had 100s of movies not available on Uverse on demand. Same with Showtime, Cinemax and the like. Zfinity has 10 times the on demand content ov Uverse. A new movie out on Cinemax which I watched yesterday on Xfinity is not available on Cinemax on Uverse.

Why are the premium channels not as good on Uverse? New movies they have Uverse doesn't and the library of past movies they have is so much bigger.

Add to that they have FX and FXM free movies, Fearnet movies, Xfinity tv series available in their entirety and they just have soo much more available content.

You would think you could at least get the same quality HBO and Cinemax ect. Even if they didn't have the streampix content and fearnet ect at least have the same quality premium channels.

How come Xfinity TV service is so much better than UVerse? Xfinity had over 1000 free movies available and Uverse has a handful. HBO on demand at Xfinity had 100s of movies not available on Uverse on demand. Same with Showtime, Cinemax and the like. Zfinity has 10 times the on demand content ov Uverse. A new movie out on Cinemax which I watched yesterday on Xfinity is not available on Cinemax on Uverse.

Why are the premium channels not as good on Uverse? New movies they have Uverse doesn't and the library of past movies they have is so much bigger.

Add to that they have FX and FXM free movies, Fearnet movies, Xfinity tv series available in their entirety and they just have soo much more available content.

You would think you could at least get the same quality HBO and Cinemax ect. Even if they didn't have the streampix content and fearnet ect at least have the same quality premium channels.

49 of 59 (3,703 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 11, 2014 6:35:06 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

MC9BEAT wrote:

The channels themselves are identical.  The OnDemand libraries are different, but I don't think the difference is quite as stark as you'd have us believe.  I see well over a hundred titles from the majority of the premium services.  Add to that the content available on UVERSE.COM, there's quite a few to choose from.

MC9BEAT wrote:

The channels themselves are identical.  The OnDemand libraries are different, but I don't think the difference is quite as stark as you'd have us believe.  I see well over a hundred titles from the majority of the premium services.  Add to that the content available on UVERSE.COM, there's quite a few to choose from.

50 of 59 (3,692 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 9, 2014 7:18:50 PM
(0)
Sifter

MBps (Megabytes per second) as in Comcast Xfinity....vs ....  

Mbps (Megabits per second) as in ATT Uverse

Megabytes (Comcast)  is 8 times faster than Megabits (ATT) !!!!

That's all there is to it! 

ATT Uverse "bits" will never ever come close to Comcast Xfinity

Does not matter that sometimes Comcast Xfinity slows down because even during the slow time Comcast Xfinity  will always be faster than Att Uverse

Megabytes (Comcast)  is 8 times faster than Megabits (ATT) !!!!

That's all there is to it! 

ATT Uverse "bits" will never ever come close to Comcast Xfinity

Does not matter that sometimes Comcast Xfinity slows down because even during the slow time Comcast Xfinity  will always be faster than Att Uverse

51 of 59 (3,333 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2014 6:58:31 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

irisallso wrote:

All ISPs quote speeds in Mbps, including Comcast Xfinity.

I think it's interesting that after AT&T coined "U-verse" to distinguish its new business segment, both Comcast and Charter have added a product brand name to the same old services they've always provided in an effort to make it sound new and different.

irisallso wrote:

All ISPs quote speeds in Mbps, including Comcast Xfinity.

I think it's interesting that after AT&T coined "U-verse" to distinguish its new business segment, both Comcast and Charter have added a product brand name to the same old services they've always provided in an effort to make it sound new and different.

52 of 59 (3,314 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2015 8:42:15 PM
(0)
Observer

I have to agree with you as well. I'm actually kind of disappointed at the quality and accessability of Uverse on demand vs Xfinity. on demand. 

The biggest complain I have is the screen size/streaming quality. On xfinity, the stream takes up almost all the page, is HQ and rarely lags out, while in uverse the stream image is very small and pixelates a lot faster (and this is after an at&t speed upgrade!), especially when I full screen. I'm also not the biggest fan of how they have the on demand site set up, it makes things difficult to find, and I often forget about shows, and the daily update (so the main page) was sectioned off into days instead of genres, so you knew what happened when. I also liked how on xfinity you could manage a watchlist and block shows/movies you don't have access too so you don't get confused as to what you can see. 

I don't know, while I really enjoy my Uverse tv, the on demand has left me really disappointed. 

I have to agree with you as well. I'm actually kind of disappointed at the quality and accessability of Uverse on demand vs Xfinity. on demand. 

The biggest complain I have is the screen size/streaming quality. On xfinity, the stream takes up almost all the page, is HQ and rarely lags out, while in uverse the stream image is very small and pixelates a lot faster (and this is after an at&t speed upgrade!), especially when I full screen. I'm also not the biggest fan of how they have the on demand site set up, it makes things difficult to find, and I often forget about shows, and the daily update (so the main page) was sectioned off into days instead of genres, so you knew what happened when. I also liked how on xfinity you could manage a watchlist and block shows/movies you don't have access too so you don't get confused as to what you can see. 

I don't know, while I really enjoy my Uverse tv, the on demand has left me really disappointed. 

53 of 59 (2,365 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2015 5:10:39 PM
(0)
Tutor

I have been happy with Uverse.  I have the triple play bundle from a promo 2 years ago.  I pay $139/month (6 mbps internet, unlimited nationwide phone, U200).  Since my discounts expire in early Feb 2015, I started checking on discounts T offers to existing customers for the triple play bundle.  Unfortunately, the discounts were higher than what I pay now but lower than the undiscounted price.  But, compared to Xfinity, the Uverse bundle is $75/month more than the 2 year promo by Comcast for their Starter XF triple play bundle (50 mbps internet, 140 channels, unlimited nationwide calling with text).  I had been a previous Comcast customer and hated it.  But, now that I'm retired and need to watch my pennies, I have to return to Comcast to save on costs.  Right off the bat, I started having problems with Comcast because my order didn't honor the price of package I ordered (supposedly because it isn't available anymore....a lie).  After nearly a week of trying to get my order corrected, I finally cancelled my original Xfinity order and went online to order it.  Lo and behold the credit check failed because I have credit freezes and I had to get their dot.com department to help me with my online order.  They were able to get the 24 months promo bundle but still got my order wrong by ordering HD for one TV and standard digital for my other, instead of 2 standard digitals.  I could try to get that corrected but since I do have one HDTV, I decided to leave my order as-is because Comcast would likely bungle it and I'd lose the promo.  I dread the thought of post-install service.

I will slightly miss the wireless receiver but I'm not much of a start a show in one room and pick it up in another.  And, since I was a prior Comcast customer, my house is already wired for their old coaxil cable.  It will be interesting to see how Comcast does during this winter's storms.  I can say that with Uverse, I had only 2 Uverse outage (not power outages) for very short periods.  Comcast......well, we'll see if they're still unable to restore service quickly.  Luckily, my home security is wireless and doesn't rely on any phone line.  I have the phone line only as a backup, in case something happens to my cell phone.

I wish T would offer competitive promos for existing customers.  Brand loyalty is dying.

I have been happy with Uverse.  I have the triple play bundle from a promo 2 years ago.  I pay $139/month (6 mbps internet, unlimited nationwide phone, U200).  Since my discounts expire in early Feb 2015, I started checking on discounts T offers to existing customers for the triple play bundle.  Unfortunately, the discounts were higher than what I pay now but lower than the undiscounted price.  But, compared to Xfinity, the Uverse bundle is $75/month more than the 2 year promo by Comcast for their Starter XF triple play bundle (50 mbps internet, 140 channels, unlimited nationwide calling with text).  I had been a previous Comcast customer and hated it.  But, now that I'm retired and need to watch my pennies, I have to return to Comcast to save on costs.  Right off the bat, I started having problems with Comcast because my order didn't honor the price of package I ordered (supposedly because it isn't available anymore....a lie).  After nearly a week of trying to get my order corrected, I finally cancelled my original Xfinity order and went online to order it.  Lo and behold the credit check failed because I have credit freezes and I had to get their dot.com department to help me with my online order.  They were able to get the 24 months promo bundle but still got my order wrong by ordering HD for one TV and standard digital for my other, instead of 2 standard digitals.  I could try to get that corrected but since I do have one HDTV, I decided to leave my order as-is because Comcast would likely bungle it and I'd lose the promo.  I dread the thought of post-install service.

I will slightly miss the wireless receiver but I'm not much of a start a show in one room and pick it up in another.  And, since I was a prior Comcast customer, my house is already wired for their old coaxil cable.  It will be interesting to see how Comcast does during this winter's storms.  I can say that with Uverse, I had only 2 Uverse outage (not power outages) for very short periods.  Comcast......well, we'll see if they're still unable to restore service quickly.  Luckily, my home security is wireless and doesn't rely on any phone line.  I have the phone line only as a backup, in case something happens to my cell phone.

I wish T would offer competitive promos for existing customers.  Brand loyalty is dying.

54 of 59 (2,313 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2015 9:49:10 AM
(0)
Traveler

Does anyone know how much AT&T spends to acquire a new customer?  We have U-verse, home phone, internet and a wireless account, that are ALL about to be canceled.  I just learned that the "rewards cards" that we got for signing up with U-verse have expired.  AT&T will do nothing about it, so I am saying good-by as a customer.

Does anyone know how much AT&T spends to acquire a new customer?  We have U-verse, home phone, internet and a wireless account, that are ALL about to be canceled.  I just learned that the "rewards cards" that we got for signing up with U-verse have expired.  AT&T will do nothing about it, so I am saying good-by as a customer.

55 of 59 (2,295 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2015 12:27:39 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thank you, I have been so frustrated with ATT, after 18 years i really do not want to leave, I am paying such a high price for my DSL becuase I cannot get anything hight that 1.75 U-Verse in our area and I have conteplated leaving.  My internet is so stinking slow and paying what i pay it is driving me insane. I would love to know when i will get the better faster U-Verse. 

Thank you, I have been so frustrated with ATT, after 18 years i really do not want to leave, I am paying such a high price for my DSL becuase I cannot get anything hight that 1.75 U-Verse in our area and I have conteplated leaving.  My internet is so stinking slow and paying what i pay it is driving me insane. I would love to know when i will get the better faster U-Verse. 

56 of 59 (2,111 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2015 5:18:45 AM
(0)
Contributor

It felt so wonderful yesterday to tell xfinity where they could take their over priced under performing service now that I have Uverse installed. I have 10x the channels I had before and the taping 4 shows at once is great.

It felt so wonderful yesterday to tell xfinity where they could take their over priced under performing service now that I have Uverse installed. I have 10x the channels I had before and the taping 4 shows at once is great.

57 of 59 (1,973 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 31, 2015 7:07:24 PM
(0)
Traveler

I was with xfinity for almot two year before I switched to uverse.  I had so many challenges with uverse; once i moved over I  was so vert happy with AT&T for the first year.  Then everything changed, now I can not stand the customer service and bait and switch games.  i have horrible internet speed, basic channels now instead of U300 and pay more.  It makes me ill and angry. 

I was with xfinity for almot two year before I switched to uverse.  I had so many challenges with uverse; once i moved over I  was so vert happy with AT&T for the first year.  Then everything changed, now I can not stand the customer service and bait and switch games.  i have horrible internet speed, basic channels now instead of U300 and pay more.  It makes me ill and angry. 

58 of 59 (1,735 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2015 6:27:15 PM
(0)
Contributor

I've been with U-verse since 2010.  The only thing keeping me from jumping ship is inertia.  I've had to have techs out here so many times I have their kids' birthdays memorized.

I've been with U-verse since 2010.  The only thing keeping me from jumping ship is inertia.  I've had to have techs out here so many times I have their kids' birthdays memorized.

59 of 59 (1,596 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments