Explore & discover

Helpful Links

U.S. customer service reps that speak understandable English

Visitor

U.S. customer service reps that speak understandable English

Why can't I speak to a customer service representative in the U.S. EVERY time I call AT&T and get past the condescending computer, I end up talking to someone in the Philippines or Asia who's English is so bad, I can't understand them. When I ask to speak to someone in the U.S., I'm indignantly told that they cannot (will not) connect me.
If you really care about your customers, you would allow me to talk to someone who can carry on a coherent conversation.

Mr. [edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.], TX

Message 1 of 98
Observer

Re: U.S. customer service reps that speak understandable English

I'm having the same problem getting an offshore person and every time I ask for an onshore person they refused to transfer me and they say that they can't transfer me and then when I ask to speak to a supervisor because I know that they can transfer me to someone on sure they say that they don't have a supervisor in that there is no one transfer me to

Message 76 of 98
Visitor

Google any sort of customer retention number. I got the nicest lady who couldn’t help me but figured out the department to transfer me to. The man she transferred me to also as very kind and helpful – solved my issue immediately in understandable English.

I know how hard it is to learn another language, but it’s sometimes impossible to understand some of the offshore folks, and a lot of them are just starting in this job and so are therefore working from a script. They don’t have the knowledge or experience to get you the answers you want, so it’s frustrating for everyone involved.

Seriously, customer retention, just start dialing any number you can find. Good luck.
Message 77 of 98
Tutor

A few minutes ago I just ssked to speak a us based rep and the att rep on the told me that would not be possible. All i want to do is upgrade two lines. Was having an issue onoine so I wanted to call. The 1st rep I spoke with there were issues. So i called back and asked to speak to a us based and was denied and was the only way to do so was to I jad to go into a store. Great customer service ATT way to treat a 15 yr 7 line customer. 

Message 78 of 98
Employee

@007Banker

USA call center would not be open on Sundays or holidays. Billing, admin are Mon-Fri 8 am to 7 pm, Sat 8 am to 5 pm.

I believe SALES support groups are open till 10 pm on those days but not aware of Sunday hours.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 79 of 98
Visitor

I also have great difficulty understanding the fast-talking, heavy asian accent.  I tell them to slow down and again to “slow down even more;  I can’t follow what you are saying”.  ATT makes a fortune from Americans’ business.  Why won’t they hire employees from the U.S. that the customers can understand, and that the ATT employee can be of a great service?  I fear the answer is ATT does not care if we get satisfactory service or the needed assistance from their cheaper, less effective employees.

Donna Baggett

Tennessee Ridge, TN

Message 80 of 98
Visitor

Because it’s much cheaper to outsource the work overseas. So much for
keeping AMERICANS employed. All about $$
Message 81 of 98
Visitor

I had this problem today.  I was placed on hold for 1 hour and 10 minutes.  Nothing was resolved.  Looking at my account I noticed the majority of my data being used is on a suspended number I have on my account.  How frustrating.  While I sat on hold on the phone, I started chatting on line with AT & T chat.  They helped.  AT & T, shame on you for sending these jobs overseas.  They wouldn’t give me a reference number, so I knew right away when I hung up, I just wasted an hour of my life. AT & T needs to do better with their phone help.  I’ve been a customer for over 20 years and I’m seriously disappointed.  

Message 82 of 98
Contributor

this number still connects to a American call center I just used it today    [Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Message 83 of 98
Observer

Here is a helpful tip.

If you are calling about the cell phone problems, dial 800-331-0500. When it asks you what you want to do, just say 'cancel service'. It will get you to the person in USA.

I just spent 2.5 hours with Philippines with no results. Then I googled and call the retention center from which they got me to the right person in US. It took tech support person in US just 15 minutes to solve the problem and explain everything to me in clear English!

Switching to AT&T was a BIG mistake, but unfortunately this is the only carrier that has clear signal in my area.

Good luck to everybody!

Message 84 of 98
Contributor

Thank you!
Message 85 of 98
Traveler

That is the truth!! And the read from f@$k queue cards with cookie cutter answers that are both insulting about the 4th time they read it to.. resolve issues???? I am going to send them bill for the stoke conditions they cause!!!!

Message 86 of 98
Traveler

I hate their customer care service.. they will NOT transfer you to the US.. The service reps red from queue cards and can't vary ... and have NO knowledge about assisting beyond their limited information on the queue cards. I find it insulting... frustrating.. and EXTREMELY UNprofessional.  ATT  wake up and smell the Rose's you are very over priced.. not service originated... YES I will be leaving after 40 years!!!!

Message 87 of 98
Observer

Good luck with speaking to a member of the retention team to bypass the off shore team!  You have to get the right onshore rep who is willing to help.  I was transferred twice by a member of the retention team to what I was told was a member of their onshore team, but sure enough I got an offshore rep.  I have spoken with one offshore rep and two offshore Supervisors on separate occasions.  I was told on each call that my issue was taken care of and that I did not in fact owe anything.  But I guess IC Systems collections states otherwise as now this has been reported to the credit bureau and I am getting collection calls after I was issued a refund.  What a JOKE!!  Once again I will be battling with DirecTV while tring to speak with a onshore rep and get this taken care of for the 4th time. AT&T is a total joke.  Customer Service is not in any way shape or form important to them, which speaks a lot for them as a Company. 

Message 88 of 98
Observer

I forgot to mention..If for some reason your issue is too complex for them they will just leave you on hold FOREVER!!  I guess they do that in hopes you will just give up and hang up.  Well guess what I am in it for the long haul.  I am SO GLAD I cancelled all of my services with them and took my business elsewhere.  All of you complaining should do the same.  Quit giving your money to a Co. that could care less about their customers experience.  I sure hope they have someone audit the comments on their forums to address and correct these issues.  There are plenty of other internet, satellite and cell providers out there.

Message 89 of 98
Visitor

Sometimes easier said than done. If you are locked into a contract with
them, not everyone has the $$$ to pay the early cancellation fee(s).
Consider yourself lucky to be able to do it at your own will.
Message 90 of 98
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
Additional Support