Explore & discover

Helpful Links

U.S. customer service reps that speak understandable English

Visitor

U.S. customer service reps that speak understandable English

Why can't I speak to a customer service representative in the U.S. EVERY time I call AT&T and get past the condescending computer, I end up talking to someone in the Philippines or Asia who's English is so bad, I can't understand them. When I ask to speak to someone in the U.S., I'm indignantly told that they cannot (will not) connect me.
If you really care about your customers, you would allow me to talk to someone who can carry on a coherent conversation.

Mr. [edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.], TX

Message 1 of 102
Visitor

Re: U.S. customer service reps that speak understandable English

I feel your pain.  I have also been with AT&T for 20 plus years and the way I have been treated over the last week is unspeakable.  First they cancelled my services in error and kept telling me that they would be back on shortly.  That was 6/28/16 to this day I am still waiting on my services to be reconnected.  I have tried to switch to Direct TV but the tech stated that with the trees thats in my neighbors yard are preventing that.  I have called and called requested for a supervisor several times but haven't spoken to one yet. Tech was suppose to come out yesterday to install my services but never showed.  I called to find out why and that's when I was informed that my order was cancelled by a previous rep I spoke to.  I am sick of AT&T.  As soon as I find a company that is not to expensive and offer something better I am cancelling services with them.  They just don't care about their long time customers that never called and complained or request credit.  I will not refer anyone to AT&T.

Message 16 of 102
Observer

It is horrible talking to those people they keep you on the phone for hours and they only repeat what you see on the computer. They don't understand what your trying to tell them. They refuse to transfer you to a rep here in the states Att needs to do something about this. I think some 15yr old kids could give better service. I am looking to sign up with an other company I also have been with them for around 20yrs. It a shame I stayed with them this long because of their service. It seems it no longer exists
Message 17 of 102
Scholar

@Lourdesierra1

@TerribleT

Yes, the way customers are being treated by AT&T has become a disgrace, and it is 

disgusting and outrageous, it wasn't always this way. A decade ago or so they actually did a pretty good job, and most folks were satisfied, if there were problems they were corrected usually on the first contact with customer service.  I believe that was when AT&T was actually using in house employees for customer service, and now they use outsourced reps, even in the USA 

btw. 

Perhaps the powers that be are skulking around here, "Houston (Dallas), we have a problem!"

AT&T customer serivce needs to be totally overhauled and perhaps it needs to be brought back in house and some of the former executive managers from a decade ago need to be consulted as well to see what needs to be returned to provide decent service. 

Message 18 of 102
Traveler

I had an issue with an overseas rep and asked to speak to a rep in the United States. She refused to transfer me. I asked to speak with a supervisor and she told me there were none. Then I asked to speak with her boss and I was told she didn't have one. I was unaware that the CEO of AT&T was a woman living in a foreign country working for less than minimum wage. Here I thought it was Randall Stephenson. 

Message 19 of 102

marypoppins

No truer words were ever spoken.  

Thanks for actually making me smile--even when i am onnce again trying to get help from ATT!

I believe that ATT customers should demand a USA representative phone number that CUSTOMERS can all at their convenience.  Posting and waiting is absolutely NOT customer service!

Message 20 of 102

They will not transfer, neither will their supervisors.

Message 21 of 102
Tutor

I totally agree, I am beyond frustrating. Horrible customer service.

Message 22 of 102
Traveler

I'm absolutely frustrated to the max with at&t "customer service". Five phone calls to the Philippines or wherever, being spoken to rudely, not able to understand English, not speaking English very well, reading from some script, repeating EVERYTHING I say for some insane reason, I was about to explode!  My question/problem was not ever understood by any of these useless people. So rude, telling me that they had NO supervisor and/or that one wasn't there "yet".  What?  I'm picturing a Filipino in a hut with a phone setup and a script---

I've had at&t for my phone for decades, and my internet now too. Do you know what's scary? A huge corporation that has put its customers at such arms length that they can't even talk to someone within that corporation.  They are hidden behind thick layers of cover, shimmering in some virtual reality!

There is NO way to really contact at&t; they are hiding behind a thick screen of foreign outsourced agents who pose as "customer service" agents, when in reality they barely understand English and you can rarely make your question understood. It's beyond frustrating, and is enough to make you search high and low for an alternative service.  But guess what? Today, we have monopolies, so you are stuck dealing with huge multi-national corporations that have no face, such as at&t. If this is the future, then be afraid, my friends.

I finally called the customer retention phone number (877-377-0414) listed in an above comment, and lo and behold....I got an American agent!!!!   She was based in Houston, Texas.  I loved her right away.  We got to my issues and she was quick to respond to my needs.  My blood pressure soon returned to normal, after the 5 previous calls where I was hung up on, or spoken to so rudely, or they didn't understand me at all.  All of this took me quite a while, taking valuable time from my day.  I'd rather spend my time in my own pursuits, not dealing with this.  And, don't get me started on their website, which I find to be completely non-intuitive.

So folks, there may be someone you can finally talk to who understands English, but you must persevere!  This is not the way it should be for at&t's customers, but since they're a monopoly and you don't have much choice, they don't care.  My solution would be to write to your Congressperson and work toward laws that break up monopolies.  That is part of the root of these problems. It is also CEO's who want all the money for themselves, and so outsource the job of the friendly customer service agent to third world countries.  

Good luck!

Message 23 of 102
Traveler

I tired to delete my comment here, but am unable to, so am adding this just so the computer will let me leave the site and make the changes...i.e. deleting this comment.  A world ruled by computers.

Message 24 of 102
Observer

I too have had crazy day calling AT&T! Actually it's been 2 days! Have experienced the absolutely most confusing conversations. Hours of convoluted calls and call backs. They all seem to try to be very polite but it's just a nightmare trying to figure out what's being said as well as trying to explain what's going on regarding my account! I agree with all of the above comments! It really is insane.

We'll see if the last call finally fixed things. If not I'll try that customer service #.

Message 25 of 102
Observer

I am so totally distressed at the amount of times i'm thanked for being a loyal customer and then thanked for being so patient, that I asked the gentleman to please stop wasting my time with this overtly polite nonsense and just answer my question and fix the problem with my phone and he replied "thank you Mark for being such a loyal customer to at&t" and then repeated everything I'd just said. It is difficult to understand them sometimes and we need to be able to communicate with service reps in mainland USA. This is absolutely ridiculous and it needs fixing ! At&t ! Fix this issue. It is a bloody nightmare ! I just gave up and hung up the call. 

Message 26 of 102
Contributor

I wish that were the case the times I've called. I am having problems with our internet going out every 30-45 minutes. Techs have been to my home numerous times over the last month and determined the outside lines (ATT is responsible for) are old and no good (which they told me this when I had Uverse internet installed three years ago). Orders have been placed for new telephone lines to be laid (buried from the main road) in place of the old ones that are causing our internet problems. Presently, I still have problems with my internet, old lines have not been replaced, and my most recent bill has a new charge on it.

I have made so many calls to customer service and each time I get someone located outside the states speaking broken English. When I request to speak with someone inside the US I am told there isn't anyone they can transfer me to. Then when I demand to be transferred to a US rep I am told they are instructed to tell customers they have to hang up and redial the same customer service number. Talk about insulting your customers!!!! Because my issue is obviously something they cant help with (other than putting in a request for another tech guy to come to my home) they tell me they will have someone call me with the answers I need. NO ONE has called me regarding this issue!!!!

Orders have been expedited for the outside lines to be laid which include boreing under a road, but I can't get any answers as to when this will be completed! My family and I use our internet for watching television and online college courses. We have had to connect to our cell phone's hotspot (which is not with ATT)  to do both since our internet cuts out every 30-45 minutes. This has been going on for several months. 

It blows my mind why ATT provides subpar customer service and how they have any customers left.  You know, the ones who, without, ATT couldn't pay their outsourced customer service representatives. 

Message 27 of 102
Observer

This worked. Thank you SO much.

Message 28 of 102
Traveler

Yes, in my case his name was Paul Girish - he was happy to tell me his name and that he was smarter than I am and felt that Americans like me don't understand the limitations to his protocol. 

Message 29 of 102
Tutor

I was told they have a number to speak to someone in the USA offices but are not allowed to give it to the customers.  I am very discouraged, repeating myself 12 times because the offshore rep is unable to understand me, they even told me to calm down after spending two days on the phone attempting to communicate with someone who is not american.  Maybe ATT will be fined for hiring off shore customer reps after January .  

Message 30 of 102
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
Additional Support