Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Re: U.S. customer service reps that speak understandable English

Visitor

U.S. customer service reps that speak understandable English

Why can't I speak to a customer service representative in the U.S. EVERY time I call AT&T and get past the condescending computer, I end up talking to someone in the Philippines or Asia who's English is so bad, I can't understand them. When I ask to speak to someone in the U.S., I'm indignantly told that they cannot (will not) connect me.
If you really care about your customers, you would allow me to talk to someone who can carry on a coherent conversation.

Mr. [edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.], TX

Message 1 of 98

Please tell me how to contact someone in the USA.  I have called more than 20 times and requested USA help, sent PM here--I still have not spoken to someone in the USA billing department.  My bill has changed, I received a postcard that did not give the information I need and all I can get is people in Manilla that cannot answer the question, and do not understand enough to get me to the correct person.

Message 2 of 98
Associated Member

Hi

You can always ask to be referred to an onshore rep. Even if you don't provide any information to the offshore representative they'll gladly transfer you. We (I'm from tech support by the way) are not allowed to deny this request so I'm not sure why the reps you've spoken with weren't able to connect you with our US counterparts.

If they insist that they aren't able to transfer you, I may suggest requesting to speak with their supervisor for assistance. 

- i like my coffee bitter like my feelings -
*I am a trusted partner that is associated with AT&T, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 98
Scholar

Tried that and they said the Supervisor is Not available ?

Message 4 of 98
Mentor

Try this number:.

1-877-377-0414

It is customer retention center.I have talked to an American speaking English every time I call.

Message 5 of 98

THank you.  I will try it!

Message 6 of 98

They absolutely will NOT transfer to a USA Rep!  They tell me to hang up and redial.  I do, many times and get an off-shore rep.

Message 7 of 98

If you get an off-shore supervisor they will NOT transfer to USA either.

Message 8 of 98
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try 1-866-446-4115

Message 9 of 98
Observer

I don't have time to sit on phone for 30 minutes listening to someone read a script over and over.  I ask to speak to onshore and never got to speak to an English speaking person onshore.

He was trying to tell me I needed a faster service when I'm losing connection and have for a long time.

We need English speaking people to answer our questions.

I don't have the time to sit and wait and listen to script being read and I'm sorry and repeating the same thing 20 times.

Message 10 of 98
Observer

I agree with this post 150%.

Message 11 of 98
Visitor

Customer Service at AT&T is HORRENDOUS. I simply wanted to upgrade my Uverse to be faster. 

1.) Day #1: The scheduled technician showed up but said he needed to go to another job. Left his phone number. We called him several times during the day. He had lunch, then a longer than usual customer call, etc. etc. He NEVER SHOWED UP. NEVER CALLED BACK. We had the number of his manager who NEVER RESPONDED TO OUR MULTIPLE VOICEMAILS.

2.) Day #2: After waiting ALL DAY (DAY #1), a service tech did arrive and set up a new modem. HOWEVER, our cabling needed to be fixed/upgraded. He told us that the cable guy (from "I and R") would be at our home before 5PM. NO ONE SHOWED UP. Called the service tech AND HIS MANAGER asking to call back and let us know who to contact to be assured that someone would be coming to FIX the cable. NO RESPONSE.  I spent over 1 hour talking to off-shore AT&T support trying to find out what was happening. The only thing they could tell me is that no one would be coming until the next morning (another 4 hour window of being held hostage in our home for the AT&T guy to show up).  Finding this unacceptable (after 2 days without internet service I demanded to speak with a supervisor... Was connected to a supervisor (still offshore) who was NOT helpful. I demanded to speak with US (on-shore)... the supervisor told me that they would not be able to help me further, but connected me anyway. The US Customer support rep was great. She promised "1st appointment" and told me they would take $40 off our bill for the trouble..."Great" (I'm thinking...)

3.)  Day #3:  Should not be surprising that NO ONE showed up first thing or EVER to fix our cable as was promised today.  No phone call, no email, no NOTHING to communicate what was happening. I am on my "umteenth" call with AT&T right now.

After we get it working, I will research other providers and will be CANCELLING the 6 subscription phone services, U-Verse and Direct TV. I have been a LONG TIME AT&T customer (over 20 years).

AT&T should be ASHAMED at the customer "service" offered and led by a robot, off-shore reps that aren't able to do anything, and VERY POOR communication and follow-up over all from their US technicians and management. 

Message 12 of 98
Highlighted
Scholar

@pepalleySTL

If you have been a 20 year customer and that is the treatment you receive (which is outrageous and totally unacceptable) you should defintely cancel all your services. 

One suggestion when you call to cancel, make sure you get the work order number for the cancellation and the Operator ID number and their first name...

Wait a few days after you made the call to cancel and call back to make sure the cancellation order was actually put through by the first rep. They have a habit of never putting the cancel orders through and then you are stuck with additional bills and issues to boot. Also make sure when you return your equipment that you GET A RECEIPT for all equipment and note all serial numbers on each piece you may need that information if they "lose" your items when sent back.

After you send the equipment back wait about 5 days and call back and make sure they received the equipment and have it processed in their system as returned. If not have the rep note in the account the equip has not yet been received, then check back a few business days later, if no receipt open up a investigation ticket. Again always note the name and operator ID number of each (genius) you speak to as a paper trail. 

Message 13 of 98
Anonymous
Not applicable

Excellent advice @ham3843 !!!  I wish I had read this about a month ago.

Message 14 of 98
Scholar

@anonymous

It's really unfortuante about your situation, I'm hoping that others reading this will take heed and 

carefully document all such things, because if AT&T or any provider for that matter claims you didn't follow through as you are instructed by them, you can take your information to an arbitration hearing and WIN your case again them which removes all costs to you. 

Message 15 of 98
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
Additional Support