SD Channels on a HDTV

Professor

SD Channels on a HDTV

Maybe this has been brought up before, but is there a good reason to watch SD channels on a HDTV?

Message 1 of 13 (1,021 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: SD Channels on a HDTV

[ Edited ]

NorthLineTony wrote:

Maybe this has been brought up before, but is there a good reason to watch SD channels on a HDTV?

Only if there is no HD version (ie: WE-TV, BBCAmerica, etc.)  Smiley Mad

Or if watching an HD stream messes with your recording schedule and/or it upsets your spouses viewing habits.  Smiley Very Happy

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 13 (984 Views)
Professor

NorthLineTony wrote:

Because they are there.  It is like asking why people still have DVD players or watch DVD's on their Blu-Ray player.  Even worst, why people still have VHS & Beta recorders.  There are even those out there in a small clique that still use <gasp> Laser disc players.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

[ Edited ]

When you are recording HD and have used all the allotted streams.  have to watch SD a few times at home because of conflicts.

Nothing wrong with Laser Disks, I wish there were still around.  Great picture and sound.

Beta was better than VHS and if the adult entertainment industry had been allowed by Sony to use Beta they would have won the battle between VHS.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 4 of 13 (941 Views)
ACE - Master

I agree the stream count is the key reason.  Now, do we still watch SD shows on our one and only HD set?  Yes.  The wife's old habits. Smiley Happy

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 13 (926 Views)
Professor

Maybe in the future there will be TV's with  all HD channels.

Message 6 of 13 (890 Views)

Yes, if the channel upconverts SD content to stretch-o-vision choose the SD version.

Message 7 of 13 (885 Views)
ACE - Master

ethanedwards wrote:

Yes, if the channel upconverts SD content to stretch-o-vision choose the SD version.

ITA!  I HATE stretch-o-vision! 

I don't need to see everyone morphed into short and fat.

Message 8 of 13 (872 Views)

[ Edited ]

skeeterintexas wrote:

ethanedwards wrote:

ITA!  I HATE stretch-o-vision! 

I don't need to see everyone morphed into short and fat.

Hey, I resemble that statement. Smiley Surprised

Maybe my life is being shown in stretch-o-vision.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 9 of 13 (859 Views)
ACE - Expert

Because SD content takes a lot less room on the DVR hard drive than HD content.  2 Mbps vs 6 Mbps equals 3 times the recording space for SD content vs HD.

Message 10 of 13 (798 Views)

The actual reason is you CAN watch SD on hdtv's . You can not view HD stream on SD tv's. With so many SD TV's on the market it makes it hard for providers to get the rights from the Federal gov. That controls the amount a company can send out. Most programs shown on HD frequiency is actually just enhanced and upscaled SD.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 11 of 13 (761 Views)
Highlighted
Master

I'm not sure what you mean when you say, "You can not view HD streams on SD tv's"? I watch the HD channels/streams on my SD CRT 32" TV in my basement all the time. Of course it's not in HD just like watching a SD channel/stream on a HDTV wouldn't be HD.

Uniblurb3

If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering someone else's dog around.

Need help? Contact AT&T at 800-288-2020.
Message 12 of 13 (738 Views)
Professor

You can watch hd on SD tv's & ED tv's. It would just look like you are watching a dvd on the tv, if hooked up via component or s-video.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

Having service trouble? There is an app for that! Use our troubleshooting tool or text myATT to 8758 to download the app. It is much faster than posting on our forums. You will also find some helpful articles below.