Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Reply
Highlighted
Posted Mar 3, 2013
8:11:16 PM
View profile
SD Channels on a HDTV

Maybe this has been brought up before, but is there a good reason to watch SD channels on a HDTV?

Maybe this has been brought up before, but is there a good reason to watch SD channels on a HDTV?

SD Channels on a HDTV

811 views
12 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
Reply
View all replies
(12)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 4, 2013 3:32:54 AM
0
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by skeeterintexas on Mar 4, 2013 at 3:34:19 AM

NorthLineTony wrote:

Maybe this has been brought up before, but is there a good reason to watch SD channels on a HDTV?


Only if there is no HD version (ie: WE-TV, BBCAmerica, etc.)  Smiley Mad

 

Or if watching an HD stream messes with your recording schedule and/or it upsets your spouses viewing habits.  Smiley Very Happy


NorthLineTony wrote:

Maybe this has been brought up before, but is there a good reason to watch SD channels on a HDTV?


Only if there is no HD version (ie: WE-TV, BBCAmerica, etc.)  Smiley Mad

 

Or if watching an HD stream messes with your recording schedule and/or it upsets your spouses viewing habits.  Smiley Very Happy

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: SD Channels on a HDTV

[ Edited ]
2 of 13 (776 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 4, 2013 5:55:53 AM
0
(0)
Professor

NorthLineTony wrote:

Maybe this has been brought up before, but is there a good reason to watch SD channels on a HDTV?


Because they are there.  It is like asking why people still have DVD players or watch DVD's on their Blu-Ray player.  Even worst, why people still have VHS & Beta recorders.  There are even those out there in a small clique that still use <gasp> Laser disc players.

________________________________________________________________

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"
________________________________________________________________

NorthLineTony wrote:

Maybe this has been brought up before, but is there a good reason to watch SD channels on a HDTV?


Because they are there.  It is like asking why people still have DVD players or watch DVD's on their Blu-Ray player.  Even worst, why people still have VHS & Beta recorders.  There are even those out there in a small clique that still use <gasp> Laser disc players.

________________________________________________________________

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"
________________________________________________________________

Re: SD Channels on a HDTV

3 of 13 (745 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 4, 2013 7:10:52 AM
0
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by oufanindallas on Mar 4, 2013 at 7:11:45 AM

When you are recording HD and have used all the allotted streams.  have to watch SD a few times at home because of conflicts.

 

 

Nothing wrong with Laser Disks, I wish there were still around.  Great picture and sound.

Beta was better than VHS and if the adult entertainment industry had been allowed by Sony to use Beta they would have won the battle between VHS.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

When you are recording HD and have used all the allotted streams.  have to watch SD a few times at home because of conflicts.

 

 

Nothing wrong with Laser Disks, I wish there were still around.  Great picture and sound.

Beta was better than VHS and if the adult entertainment industry had been allowed by Sony to use Beta they would have won the battle between VHS.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: SD Channels on a HDTV

[ Edited ]
4 of 13 (733 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 4, 2013 9:31:53 AM
0
(0)
ACE - Master

I agree the stream count is the key reason.  Now, do we still watch SD shows on our one and only HD set?  Yes.  The wife's old habits. Smiley Happy

I agree the stream count is the key reason.  Now, do we still watch SD shows on our one and only HD set?  Yes.  The wife's old habits. Smiley Happy

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: SD Channels on a HDTV

5 of 13 (718 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2013 7:52:39 AM
0
(0)
Professor

Maybe in the future there will be TV's with  all HD channels.

Maybe in the future there will be TV's with  all HD channels.

Re: SD Channels on a HDTV

6 of 13 (682 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2013 8:04:39 AM
0
(0)
Mentor

Yes, if the channel upconverts SD content to stretch-o-vision choose the SD version.

 

Yes, if the channel upconverts SD content to stretch-o-vision choose the SD version.

 

Re: SD Channels on a HDTV

7 of 13 (677 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2013 8:59:17 AM
0
(0)
ACE - Master

ethanedwards wrote:

Yes, if the channel upconverts SD content to stretch-o-vision choose the SD version.

 


ITA!  I HATE stretch-o-vision! 

 

I don't need to see everyone morphed into short and fat.


ethanedwards wrote:

Yes, if the channel upconverts SD content to stretch-o-vision choose the SD version.

 


ITA!  I HATE stretch-o-vision! 

 

I don't need to see everyone morphed into short and fat.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: SD Channels on a HDTV

8 of 13 (664 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2013 6:08:43 PM
0
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by oufanindallas on Mar 5, 2013 at 6:09:19 PM

skeeterintexas wrote:

ethanedwards wrote:

Yes, if the channel upconverts SD content to stretch-o-vision choose the SD version.

 


ITA!  I HATE stretch-o-vision! 

 

I don't need to see everyone morphed into short and fat.


Hey, I resemble that statement. Smiley Surprised

 Maybe my life is being shown in stretch-o-vision.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

skeeterintexas wrote:

ethanedwards wrote:

Yes, if the channel upconverts SD content to stretch-o-vision choose the SD version.

 


ITA!  I HATE stretch-o-vision! 

 

I don't need to see everyone morphed into short and fat.


Hey, I resemble that statement. Smiley Surprised

 Maybe my life is being shown in stretch-o-vision.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: SD Channels on a HDTV

[ Edited ]
9 of 13 (651 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2013 6:17:23 PM
0
(0)
ACE - Expert

Because SD content takes a lot less room on the DVR hard drive than HD content.  2 Mbps vs 6 Mbps equals 3 times the recording space for SD content vs HD.

 

Because SD content takes a lot less room on the DVR hard drive than HD content.  2 Mbps vs 6 Mbps equals 3 times the recording space for SD content vs HD.

 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: SD Channels on a HDTV

10 of 13 (590 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2013 9:56:39 PM
0
(0)
Employee
The actual reason is you CAN watch SD on hdtv's . You can not view HD stream on SD tv's. With so many SD TV's on the market it makes it hard for providers to get the rights from the Federal gov. That controls the amount a company can send out. Most programs shown on HD frequiency is actually just enhanced and upscaled SD.
The actual reason is you CAN watch SD on hdtv's . You can not view HD stream on SD tv's. With so many SD TV's on the market it makes it hard for providers to get the rights from the Federal gov. That controls the amount a company can send out. Most programs shown on HD frequiency is actually just enhanced and upscaled SD.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: SD Channels on a HDTV

11 of 13 (553 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2013 3:20:29 AM
0
(0)
Master

I'm not sure what you mean when you say, "You can not view HD streams on SD tv's"? I watch the HD channels/streams on my SD CRT 32" TV in my basement all the time. Of course it's not in HD just like watching a SD channel/stream on a HDTV wouldn't be HD.

 

Uniblurb3

If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering someone else's dog around.

Need help? Contact AT&T at 800-288-2020.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say, "You can not view HD streams on SD tv's"? I watch the HD channels/streams on my SD CRT 32" TV in my basement all the time. Of course it's not in HD just like watching a SD channel/stream on a HDTV wouldn't be HD.

 

Uniblurb3

If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering someone else's dog around.

Need help? Contact AT&T at 800-288-2020.

Re: SD Channels on a HDTV

12 of 13 (530 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2013 7:52:43 AM
0
(0)
Professor
You can watch hd on SD tv's & ED tv's. It would just look like you are watching a dvd on the tv, if hooked up via component or s-video.
________________________________________________________________

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"
________________________________________________________________
You can watch hd on SD tv's & ED tv's. It would just look like you are watching a dvd on the tv, if hooked up via component or s-video.
________________________________________________________________

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"
________________________________________________________________

Re: SD Channels on a HDTV

13 of 13 (508 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Share this post
Share this post