Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Mar 22, 2013
4:58:04 PM
View profile
Remove old comcast cable line

When my husband and I moved to our current house, we signed up with AT&T Uverse and were with them for a year. It was great but expensive, so we switched to Comcast Xfinity the year after. They came in and strung a cable line from the pole diagonally across the backyard to the house, about eight feet off the ground. Huge eyesore. The Xfinity service was terrible so we dropped them and are back with Uverse, but are stuck with that crappy useless line. They won't remove it since we aren't their customer anymore. It has been suggested to me that we call the local phone company, but that is Bellsouth which is now owned by AT&T. So is there any way to pay an AT&T technician to come remove this unused line? I will pay for it - I just want it gone!

When my husband and I moved to our current house, we signed up with AT&T Uverse and were with them for a year. It was great but expensive, so we switched to Comcast Xfinity the year after. They came in and strung a cable line from the pole diagonally across the backyard to the house, about eight feet off the ground. Huge eyesore. The Xfinity service was terrible so we dropped them and are back with Uverse, but are stuck with that crappy useless line. They won't remove it since we aren't their customer anymore. It has been suggested to me that we call the local phone company, but that is Bellsouth which is now owned by AT&T. So is there any way to pay an AT&T technician to come remove this unused line? I will pay for it - I just want it gone!

Remove old comcast cable line

18 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(18)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2013 5:45:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by aviewer on Mar 22, 2013 at 5:47:33 PM

carolin6357 - The at&t suggestion is not good. They can only get in trouble with Comcast. Did you offer to pay Comcast?
Maybe if you catch a Comcast installer & offer to pay?
How about a local Handyman/ oddjob? Do you have a tree trimmer on a pole?

Mine came down with the help of a blue spruce in a violent thunderstorm. But, that is a little extreme.

carolin6357 - The at&t suggestion is not good. They can only get in trouble with Comcast. Did you offer to pay Comcast?
Maybe if you catch a Comcast installer & offer to pay?
How about a local Handyman/ oddjob? Do you have a tree trimmer on a pole?

Mine came down with the help of a blue spruce in a violent thunderstorm. But, that is a little extreme.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Remove old comcast cable line

[ Edited ]
2 of 19 (19,380 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2013 8:37:51 PM
(0)
Contributor

One question to clarify.  The wire is specifically just for your home?  No other homes, units, etc are served?   You don't have any other services through them (phone, internet, tv, etc)

If it's just you and you are no longer connected with Comcast I would get a nice pair of branch trimmers and snip either end.  I went through the same issue with a different cable company when I asked to have their cable removed.  At that time I was told that since it was my home and the cable was installed at my request (I had to pay an install fee) so it was "my" cable.  

I took tree branch clippers that I used to prune the trees and I cut "my" cable down.

One question to clarify.  The wire is specifically just for your home?  No other homes, units, etc are served?   You don't have any other services through them (phone, internet, tv, etc)

If it's just you and you are no longer connected with Comcast I would get a nice pair of branch trimmers and snip either end.  I went through the same issue with a different cable company when I asked to have their cable removed.  At that time I was told that since it was my home and the cable was installed at my request (I had to pay an install fee) so it was "my" cable.  

I took tree branch clippers that I used to prune the trees and I cut "my" cable down.

3 of 19 (19,363 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2013 10:34:49 PM
(0)
Professor
If eight feet is the minimum distance from ground to line at the lowest point, the lines are okay and can be left as is. Unless you place a swimming pool at that point, just leave well enough alone, since they are not hurting anything.

Most places require that if a swimming pool or structure goes in, the lines have to meet a minimum clearance from the top of the structure. Fore example, for pools the lines have to be no lower than 20 feet.

Since the line is still owned by Comcast, regardless if you have service with them or not, same with the ATT lines, you cannot legally remove them from your property, without first contacting either company.

Then they will send someone out to either raise them, leave connected, or disconnect if no longer being used, then if you wish to ever reconnect to that service, they can charge you a fee to have the tech pull a new line from the pole to the house for the drop.

I have not had Comcast for over four years now, and their line is still connected from the pole to the box on the side of the house. Just not connected inside to anything. It is within 12 feet min. from the ground, it is not causing any problems, so I am leaving it right where it is.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"
If eight feet is the minimum distance from ground to line at the lowest point, the lines are okay and can be left as is. Unless you place a swimming pool at that point, just leave well enough alone, since they are not hurting anything.

Most places require that if a swimming pool or structure goes in, the lines have to meet a minimum clearance from the top of the structure. Fore example, for pools the lines have to be no lower than 20 feet.

Since the line is still owned by Comcast, regardless if you have service with them or not, same with the ATT lines, you cannot legally remove them from your property, without first contacting either company.

Then they will send someone out to either raise them, leave connected, or disconnect if no longer being used, then if you wish to ever reconnect to that service, they can charge you a fee to have the tech pull a new line from the pole to the house for the drop.

I have not had Comcast for over four years now, and their line is still connected from the pole to the box on the side of the house. Just not connected inside to anything. It is within 12 feet min. from the ground, it is not causing any problems, so I am leaving it right where it is.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

4 of 19 (19,343 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2013 4:02:18 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by oufanindallas on Mar 23, 2013 at 4:03:30 AM

gregzoll_1 wrote:

They don't want the cable there, it's an eyesore and on their property.  If they no longer have the service then they should be able to have it removed. Comcrap told them it was their cable so they have every right to have it removed.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

gregzoll_1 wrote:

They don't want the cable there, it's an eyesore and on their property.  If they no longer have the service then they should be able to have it removed. Comcrap told them it was their cable so they have every right to have it removed.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
5 of 19 (19,340 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2013 11:27:24 AM
(0)
Professor

oufanindallas wrote:

gregzoll_1 wrote:

oufanindallas wrote:

gregzoll_1 wrote:

It does not matter, the utility will not remove it from the property.  They will raise it back up to the min. limits, which is around 10 feet.  I am guessing having electricity drops to homes are eye sores also.  Having a public right of way in front of your home is an eye sore.

It is actually really easy for the person to have CC raise the line.  They just need to sign up over at DSLReports.com, and go to http://www.dslreports.com/forum/comcastdirect and give address location of the problem, the name of the person at the residence or commercial property, and the phone number of same.

We also have a direct forum, which is http://www.dslreports.com/forum/sbcdirect  Both are manned by techs of their respective companies, and the tickets are handled on a first come process, then prioritized by what level it needs to be handled.  A drooping drop is standard maintenance, and as long as the company that owns that drops knows it is lower or on the ground, letting them know, vs. cutting it from the structure, makes things easier.  If you cut it from the structure, they can actually charge you for the cost of reattaching it back to the structure, or removing from the property.

We had our ATT drop fall during the 2006 Ice storm, due to got caught in the bucket of the city owned Power utility truck, and they just cut it, rolled it up to the pole, due to we only had Comcast for svcs then.  Then when we signed up for UVerse, the ATT Prem tech just ran a whole new line, vs. using the old that had the ends exsposed to the weather, and no charge for replacing.

oufanindallas wrote:

gregzoll_1 wrote:

oufanindallas wrote:

gregzoll_1 wrote:

It does not matter, the utility will not remove it from the property.  They will raise it back up to the min. limits, which is around 10 feet.  I am guessing having electricity drops to homes are eye sores also.  Having a public right of way in front of your home is an eye sore.

It is actually really easy for the person to have CC raise the line.  They just need to sign up over at DSLReports.com, and go to http://www.dslreports.com/forum/comcastdirect and give address location of the problem, the name of the person at the residence or commercial property, and the phone number of same.

We also have a direct forum, which is http://www.dslreports.com/forum/sbcdirect  Both are manned by techs of their respective companies, and the tickets are handled on a first come process, then prioritized by what level it needs to be handled.  A drooping drop is standard maintenance, and as long as the company that owns that drops knows it is lower or on the ground, letting them know, vs. cutting it from the structure, makes things easier.  If you cut it from the structure, they can actually charge you for the cost of reattaching it back to the structure, or removing from the property.

We had our ATT drop fall during the 2006 Ice storm, due to got caught in the bucket of the city owned Power utility truck, and they just cut it, rolled it up to the pole, due to we only had Comcast for svcs then.  Then when we signed up for UVerse, the ATT Prem tech just ran a whole new line, vs. using the old that had the ends exsposed to the weather, and no charge for replacing.

6 of 19 (19,313 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2013 2:47:12 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I suggest you call Comcast again and make the request.  When I dropped Comcast I called them and had the cable removed.  Sometimes you have to call back to speak to a cooperative CSR when you get an uncooperative one.

I suggest you call Comcast again and make the request.  When I dropped Comcast I called them and had the cable removed.  Sometimes you have to call back to speak to a cooperative CSR when you get an uncooperative one.

7 of 19 (19,300 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2013 5:04:48 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Greg, it doesn't matter whether it is 8 feet or 10 feet, they no longer have Comcast, the cable was run to their house for the sole purpose of having comcast, they don't want it any more it needs to be removed.

Greg, it doesn't matter whether it is 8 feet or 10 feet, they no longer have Comcast, the cable was run to their house for the sole purpose of having comcast, they don't want it any more it needs to be removed.

8 of 19 (19,285 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2013 11:31:35 PM
(0)
Professor

oufanindallas wrote:

And as I explained before, it is the discretion of the company to decide if they wish to remove, and majority of the times, in most areas, the managers will tell the crews to just raise the line to the proper distance from ground, whether it is live or not to the structure.  It costs the company money in the supplies for when they redo these drops, along with labor to pull.  Why do you think that the prices keep going up.  It is not because of broadcasters wanting more, cost of doing services are a lot of it.  The Cost of doing services, includes also the company insurance to bond their installers, and for the costs of paying out unemployment, along with costs for disability.

In most areas, they have a crew that does nothing but travels neighborhoods and look for problems, and fix them as they go through.  Unless there is a ticket for the line to be removed fixed or raised, they will not enter a property, unless it is non-fenced, or on say a property that is a apartment or condo building.

The Comcast Direct link is the quickest way to contact the tech support team for something like this, and will forward the ticket to the proper crew to handle, and when they get there, they will decide as I stated before, to either remove from the structure, or will just leave attached and raise up to the proper height, which is usually 12 feet if they can get it there.  Also the same goes for the ATT Direct Link over at DSLReports.com.

Mine like I stated before is still attached, do not really notice it, because it is not a bother to me.  It is at the same height as our ATT drop, which is 14 feet, Electric drop above it, is 20 feet, due to we place a portable swimming pool in our yard in that area.  Both our local power utility, comcast & ATT had no problems when I filed tickets with the two later to raise the line.

Of course, there are some that as I also stated before, that there is nothing in life that satisfies them and no matter what, cannot make them happy.

oufanindallas wrote:

And as I explained before, it is the discretion of the company to decide if they wish to remove, and majority of the times, in most areas, the managers will tell the crews to just raise the line to the proper distance from ground, whether it is live or not to the structure.  It costs the company money in the supplies for when they redo these drops, along with labor to pull.  Why do you think that the prices keep going up.  It is not because of broadcasters wanting more, cost of doing services are a lot of it.  The Cost of doing services, includes also the company insurance to bond their installers, and for the costs of paying out unemployment, along with costs for disability.

In most areas, they have a crew that does nothing but travels neighborhoods and look for problems, and fix them as they go through.  Unless there is a ticket for the line to be removed fixed or raised, they will not enter a property, unless it is non-fenced, or on say a property that is a apartment or condo building.

The Comcast Direct link is the quickest way to contact the tech support team for something like this, and will forward the ticket to the proper crew to handle, and when they get there, they will decide as I stated before, to either remove from the structure, or will just leave attached and raise up to the proper height, which is usually 12 feet if they can get it there.  Also the same goes for the ATT Direct Link over at DSLReports.com.

Mine like I stated before is still attached, do not really notice it, because it is not a bother to me.  It is at the same height as our ATT drop, which is 14 feet, Electric drop above it, is 20 feet, due to we place a portable swimming pool in our yard in that area.  Both our local power utility, comcast & ATT had no problems when I filed tickets with the two later to raise the line.

Of course, there are some that as I also stated before, that there is nothing in life that satisfies them and no matter what, cannot make them happy.

9 of 19 (19,264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2013 3:57:13 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

WOW, I'm glad we have all buried lines here in our neighborhood.

When we had the techs out here to the house last week.....one of them discovered that the cable routing from the NID into the house went through the old, clearly labeled, Comcast entry-box.  He told me that was illegal and pulled it out of the box.  I asked that he water proof the connection between the cables at that point....which he did.  Now that old box's only purpose is to cover the hole in the side off the house where the cables enter.  I'd remove and discard the box but then I'd have a hole to cover and that would probably look worse than the box.....so I just leave it.

The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other peoples' money. .......Margaret Thatcher

When we had the techs out here to the house last week.....one of them discovered that the cable routing from the NID into the house went through the old, clearly labeled, Comcast entry-box.  He told me that was illegal and pulled it out of the box.  I asked that he water proof the connection between the cables at that point....which he did.  Now that old box's only purpose is to cover the hole in the side off the house where the cables enter.  I'd remove and discard the box but then I'd have a hole to cover and that would probably look worse than the box.....so I just leave it.

The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other peoples' money. .......Margaret Thatcher

10 of 19 (19,229 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2013 4:03:18 PM
(0)
Master

When we bought our current home about 4.5 years ago, Comcast was the only overhead service to the home, everything else was buried. The way our property is set up, with large maples either side of driveway in front, the only overhead clearance is over the driveway with no actual line of site to the utility pole, so Comcast backtracked up the phone lines far enough to get to the center of the driveway and then from there diagonally over the driveway to the corner of the garage at about 12.5 feet over the drive which meant that most delivery trucks had to stop half way in the street sometimes. Not to mention they were using AT&T's overhead trunk line to anchor the street end of the cable instead of the utility pole. All that just to avoid burying it like the rest of the utilities.

I did not have and did not want Comcast, and it was unsightly and occasionally a problem with deliveries, so I called them and told them to come remove the drop. They told me they don't usually do that in case I changed my mind. I told them my mind was made up, come and remove it. They showed up two or three days later and completely removed it.

As far as Comcast having any kind of rights or legal standing to have that drop on your property, they would love to, but they don't. Yes there are utility right-of-ways (and Comcast is not a utility) but those right-of-ways can not bisect your property (unless it was disclosed at purchase) they can only border it.

As well, If you read the TOS for your/any service provider by accepting the service you agree to that contract and that you give them permission to run their cable/wires on your property. Once that agreement/contract expires (for what ever reason), the permission you gave them to have their cables on your property is also rescinded and they must be removed upon your request. You may not have the right to cut the end that is on the right-of-way, but most certainly the end connected to your house.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

When we bought our current home about 4.5 years ago, Comcast was the only overhead service to the home, everything else was buried. The way our property is set up, with large maples either side of driveway in front, the only overhead clearance is over the driveway with no actual line of site to the utility pole, so Comcast backtracked up the phone lines far enough to get to the center of the driveway and then from there diagonally over the driveway to the corner of the garage at about 12.5 feet over the drive which meant that most delivery trucks had to stop half way in the street sometimes. Not to mention they were using AT&T's overhead trunk line to anchor the street end of the cable instead of the utility pole. All that just to avoid burying it like the rest of the utilities.

I did not have and did not want Comcast, and it was unsightly and occasionally a problem with deliveries, so I called them and told them to come remove the drop. They told me they don't usually do that in case I changed my mind. I told them my mind was made up, come and remove it. They showed up two or three days later and completely removed it.

As far as Comcast having any kind of rights or legal standing to have that drop on your property, they would love to, but they don't. Yes there are utility right-of-ways (and Comcast is not a utility) but those right-of-ways can not bisect your property (unless it was disclosed at purchase) they can only border it.

As well, If you read the TOS for your/any service provider by accepting the service you agree to that contract and that you give them permission to run their cable/wires on your property. Once that agreement/contract expires (for what ever reason), the permission you gave them to have their cables on your property is also rescinded and they must be removed upon your request. You may not have the right to cut the end that is on the right-of-way, but most certainly the end connected to your house.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

11 of 19 (19,227 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2013 5:09:27 PM
(0)
Professor

hpmsrm wrote:

There would be nothing illegal to have the line run though the same hole as the coax.  Saves drilling another hole, and the boxes are waterproof to begin with, as long as you do not get a flood, and have water above the boxes, then that is another story.

The boxes are though supposed to be bonded to earth ground for both the Catv & telco, through a #10 solid wire, to a block, for a #8 to the ground rod for the house.

We went one step further, and placed a Gas discharge on our Comcast line, before we disconnected services, and I just left it that way after we got UVerse.  Probably will never have Comcast ever again, so until some odd event accidently pulls it down from the pole, I am leaving it as it remains.

I could go out to the pole and cut it off there, and pull from the house, which would be more of a headache, than just leave as is, due to not hurting anything.

hpmsrm wrote:

There would be nothing illegal to have the line run though the same hole as the coax.  Saves drilling another hole, and the boxes are waterproof to begin with, as long as you do not get a flood, and have water above the boxes, then that is another story.

The boxes are though supposed to be bonded to earth ground for both the Catv & telco, through a #10 solid wire, to a block, for a #8 to the ground rod for the house.

We went one step further, and placed a Gas discharge on our Comcast line, before we disconnected services, and I just left it that way after we got UVerse.  Probably will never have Comcast ever again, so until some odd event accidently pulls it down from the pole, I am leaving it as it remains.

I could go out to the pole and cut it off there, and pull from the house, which would be more of a headache, than just leave as is, due to not hurting anything.

12 of 19 (19,219 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2013 5:11:37 PM
(0)
Professor

hpmsrm wrote:

The problem with buried lines is that a poorly placed shovel or spade, ruins your day, and then you have to wait for a day or so to get the premise tech to come out and repair the line, or pull a new line.  Also critters love to chew on flooded cable when it is in the ground, and there is a certain fungi in some parts of the country, that just loves flooded cable, and will eat the jacket like no tomorrow, leaving you with bare copper after about 5 to 10 years.

hpmsrm wrote:

The problem with buried lines is that a poorly placed shovel or spade, ruins your day, and then you have to wait for a day or so to get the premise tech to come out and repair the line, or pull a new line.  Also critters love to chew on flooded cable when it is in the ground, and there is a certain fungi in some parts of the country, that just loves flooded cable, and will eat the jacket like no tomorrow, leaving you with bare copper after about 5 to 10 years.

13 of 19 (19,217 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2013 5:24:12 PM
(0)
Professor
Actually Computer Joe, they are a utility, just like ATT & your gas & power companies. They are registered with your state Public Utility commission. Here in Illinois, they are registered with the ICC (Illinois Commerce Commission) as a regulated utility.

So you may want to double think that Comcast or ATT, or any service provider for video, Internet, telephone services are not regulated by your state.

Actually Computer Joe, they are a utility, just like ATT & your gas & power companies. They are registered with your state Public Utility commission. Here in Illinois, they are registered with the ICC (Illinois Commerce Commission) as a regulated utility.

So you may want to double think that Comcast or ATT, or any service provider for video, Internet, telephone services are not regulated by your state.

14 of 19 (19,213 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2013 8:15:59 PM
(0)
Master

gregzoll_1 wrote:

They may be regulated/registered similar to a utility, but are not actually a utility. Circuit breaker funds for utilities cover water, gas, sewer, and minimal phone service through a local telco. Sorry Comcast, that does not include you and AT&T probably only falls under the utilitiy heading because they still provide land-line phone services over an infrastructure that is "grandfathered" into the category. Utilities have to meet certain standards for reliability and consistency the Uverse side of AT&T and all of Comcast do not meet those standards. Do AT&T or Comcast get the heat when their internet gets bogged down and people don't get the speeds they're paying for like ComEd does when they have brown outs because they can't keep up with electrical demand? Does Nicor get to arbitrarily decide to cap your gas supply because the guy up the street ran his furnace too much?

But I digress, Comcast has no right to leave the drop on your property, regardless of what they consider themselves and you have every right to remove it from your property if they refuse to. Technically though cutting the end on the utility pole could be considered trespassing and destruction of public/private property. Especially if they claim you damaged a real utility like electric or phone.Smiley Wink

gregzoll_1 wrote:

They may be regulated/registered similar to a utility, but are not actually a utility. Circuit breaker funds for utilities cover water, gas, sewer, and minimal phone service through a local telco. Sorry Comcast, that does not include you and AT&T probably only falls under the utilitiy heading because they still provide land-line phone services over an infrastructure that is "grandfathered" into the category. Utilities have to meet certain standards for reliability and consistency the Uverse side of AT&T and all of Comcast do not meet those standards. Do AT&T or Comcast get the heat when their internet gets bogged down and people don't get the speeds they're paying for like ComEd does when they have brown outs because they can't keep up with electrical demand? Does Nicor get to arbitrarily decide to cap your gas supply because the guy up the street ran his furnace too much?

But I digress, Comcast has no right to leave the drop on your property, regardless of what they consider themselves and you have every right to remove it from your property if they refuse to. Technically though cutting the end on the utility pole could be considered trespassing and destruction of public/private property. Especially if they claim you damaged a real utility like electric or phone.Smiley Wink

neon_sign.jpg

15 of 19 (19,196 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2013 9:50:38 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hpmsrm on Mar 24, 2013 at 10:00:17 PM

gregzoll_1 wrote:

hpmsrm wrote:

Well.....I'll endur all those possibilities in exchange for not having huge, unsightly lightning rods all over the neighborhood with cables that can lead those hits right into my house.   And yes.....it happens.....because it has happened to us.  It's not an enjoyable experience.

As or legalities....I did not mean to infer that running the AT&T cable through the same hole in the side of the house that the old Comcast cables ran through was illegal.  The Tech told me that they were under strict instructions to not allow AT&T cables to run through the Comcast entry box.  So he removed it....and stuffed it behind the box.  It still passes through that same hole in the wall.  Silly in my opinion.

gregzoll_1 wrote:

hpmsrm wrote:

Well.....I'll endur all those possibilities in exchange for not having huge, unsightly lightning rods all over the neighborhood with cables that can lead those hits right into my house.   And yes.....it happens.....because it has happened to us.  It's not an enjoyable experience.

As or legalities....I did not mean to infer that running the AT&T cable through the same hole in the side of the house that the old Comcast cables ran through was illegal.  The Tech told me that they were under strict instructions to not allow AT&T cables to run through the Comcast entry box.  So he removed it....and stuffed it behind the box.  It still passes through that same hole in the wall.  Silly in my opinion.

[ Edited ]
16 of 19 (19,186 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2013 10:15:15 PM
(0)
Master

hpmsrm wrote:

gregzoll_1 wrote:

hpmsrm wrote:

Probably from all the people walking around their houses, seeing those Comcast boxes, and thinking hey, I've got Uverse I can just rip that old Comcast box off the wall and putty up the whole.Smiley Wink

hpmsrm wrote:

gregzoll_1 wrote:

hpmsrm wrote:

Probably from all the people walking around their houses, seeing those Comcast boxes, and thinking hey, I've got Uverse I can just rip that old Comcast box off the wall and putty up the whole.Smiley Wink

neon_sign.jpg

17 of 19 (19,175 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2013 8:42:41 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I asked the tech to just go ahead and remove the Comcast box and replace it with one from AT&T.  He said that was definitely forbidden.  Stupid me......I didn't think fast enough to suggest that he just leave an AT&T box with me.  I have no scrupples about removing that Comcrap equipment.   Alas, I dropped the ball.

I asked the tech to just go ahead and remove the Comcast box and replace it with one from AT&T.  He said that was definitely forbidden.  Stupid me......I didn't think fast enough to suggest that he just leave an AT&T box with me.  I have no scrupples about removing that Comcrap equipment.   Alas, I dropped the ball.

18 of 19 (19,146 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2013 12:08:36 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by spd2demun on Jul 22, 2013 at 12:10:48 AM

@carolin6357

I hope you cut the cable, just do it.  As long as none of your neighbors are connected to it.  Of course, Comcrap would like it to stay there in case YOU want to come back to them (or a future resident signs up).  Less work for them...tough!

We're underground here, but when I was having a new fence put in (over utility easement), Comcrap was the ONLY utility who did not show up to mark the lines!  Guess which line got cut?  Neighbors were mad (I had U-verse), and Comcrap tried to bill me for their error.  I won as I had proof of the order and they didn't show.

Yards of their coax underground in my yard and on the garage.  I asked an ATT tech to make sure it was dead (later service call, unrelated) so I could cut and pull it all out.  He went ahead and snipped it for me.  Smiley Happy  All I had to do was remove all the underground line.

Let us know what happened.  Smiley Wink

@carolin6357

I hope you cut the cable, just do it.  As long as none of your neighbors are connected to it.  Of course, Comcrap would like it to stay there in case YOU want to come back to them (or a future resident signs up).  Less work for them...tough!

We're underground here, but when I was having a new fence put in (over utility easement), Comcrap was the ONLY utility who did not show up to mark the lines!  Guess which line got cut?  Neighbors were mad (I had U-verse), and Comcrap tried to bill me for their error.  I won as I had proof of the order and they didn't show.

Yards of their coax underground in my yard and on the garage.  I asked an ATT tech to make sure it was dead (later service call, unrelated) so I could cut and pull it all out.  He went ahead and snipped it for me.  Smiley Happy  All I had to do was remove all the underground line.

Let us know what happened.  Smiley Wink

[ Edited ]
19 of 19 (18,673 Views)