Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Feb 16, 2014
3:40:53 AM
View profile
NASCAR is back

Man, what a race last night.  I like the tweaks they have made with the car this year, you can actually pass at Daytona without having a huge train. 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

Man, what a race last night.  I like the tweaks they have made with the car this year, you can actually pass at Daytona without having a huge train. 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

NASCAR is back

226 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(226)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2014 9:37:00 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

oufanindallas wrote:

Now how did that get in there?  Smiley Surprised Took me a minute to find it.  However, Dale would be laughing at it since him and Jeff were great friends off the track and even business partners in other endevors.

Yeah but Gordon and Dale fans weren't so close.  In fact, one Gordon fan got murdered after another bar patron didn't like his 24 hat.  Both DE and JG sent flowers.  Sad.

oufanindallas wrote:

Now how did that get in there?  Smiley Surprised Took me a minute to find it.  However, Dale would be laughing at it since him and Jeff were great friends off the track and even business partners in other endevors.

Yeah but Gordon and Dale fans weren't so close.  In fact, one Gordon fan got murdered after another bar patron didn't like his 24 hat.  Both DE and JG sent flowers.  Sad.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: NASCAR is back

31 of 227 (1,157 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2014 7:33:52 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

dhascall wrote:

oufanindallas wrote:

True,  my FIL is a Gordon fan, I'm a DE, Jr. fan, but have learned to pull for JG, but then again, I'm a fan of 42 of the drivers as long as they are ahead of Kyle Busch. Smiley Very Happy

Missed most of the race yesterday due to my niece's birthday and of course the rain, did read where Jr. had tire issues after the red flag. Didn't see what happed to the Busch bothers.  They were all in the top 10 when I checked.

dhascall wrote:

oufanindallas wrote:

True,  my FIL is a Gordon fan, I'm a DE, Jr. fan, but have learned to pull for JG, but then again, I'm a fan of 42 of the drivers as long as they are ahead of Kyle Busch. Smiley Very Happy

Missed most of the race yesterday due to my niece's birthday and of course the rain, did read where Jr. had tire issues after the red flag. Didn't see what happed to the Busch bothers.  They were all in the top 10 when I checked.

32 of 227 (1,123 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2014 5:30:46 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Mar 18, 2014 at 5:34:51 AM

That Bristol race was a good one.  But quite the cluster, with the rain and the guy leaning on the caution light switch at the end. 

Good thing that I have a smartphone and checked Twitter when I did as Mike Joy tweeted along the lines of "race restarts in 2 minutes on FS1."  So, I set whatever was on at 7PM ET to record and adjusted it to add 3 hours but the latter didn't stick, so it stopped at 8 PM ET.  Luckilly I noticed it at 8:10. 

Those ten minutes must have been bad for the brother's Busch.  At 8 Kyle was leading and at 8:10, they were saying that he could use a wave around to get one of his laps back.  Smiley Surprised 

It was a good race and Bristol is better than it was 2 years ago where there were too many good lines and little action.  Looked like Darlington or Winchester, in Indiana.

That Bristol race was a good one.  But quite the cluster, with the rain and the guy leaning on the caution light switch at the end. 

Good thing that I have a smartphone and checked Twitter when I did as Mike Joy tweeted along the lines of "race restarts in 2 minutes on FS1."  So, I set whatever was on at 7PM ET to record and adjusted it to add 3 hours but the latter didn't stick, so it stopped at 8 PM ET.  Luckilly I noticed it at 8:10. 

Those ten minutes must have been bad for the brother's Busch.  At 8 Kyle was leading and at 8:10, they were saying that he could use a wave around to get one of his laps back.  Smiley Surprised 

It was a good race and Bristol is better than it was 2 years ago where there were too many good lines and little action.  Looked like Darlington or Winchester, in Indiana.

[ Edited ]
33 of 227 (1,110 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2014 12:26:49 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

maybe we should a threat of rain for every race. seems to be more action on the track because they don't know if the race will be called short.

maybe we should a threat of rain for every race. seems to be more action on the track because they don't know if the race will be called short.

34 of 227 (1,082 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2014 11:08:54 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

For some of the more boring races (New Hampshiire!)  I want the race to be ran in stages.  Three races-within-races.  Invert the field after each race and the driver that does best overall, gets the win.  

For some of the more boring races (New Hampshiire!)  I want the race to be ran in stages.  Three races-within-races.  Invert the field after each race and the driver that does best overall, gets the win.  

35 of 227 (1,062 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2014 4:26:54 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I don't mind the Louden race, now Pocono, that would be a great idea, 150 laps, at the end of each 50 laps, invert the field. 

I don't mind the Louden race, now Pocono, that would be a great idea, 150 laps, at the end of each 50 laps, invert the field. 

36 of 227 (1,050 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2014 3:05:10 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

oufanindallas wrote:

So, what you're saying is that you don't like Pocono? Smiley Tongue Smiley Very Happy

oufanindallas wrote:

So, what you're saying is that you don't like Pocono? Smiley Tongue Smiley Very Happy

37 of 227 (1,025 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2014 3:47:20 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

dhascall wrote:

oufanindallas wrote:

You would be correct.  I don't care if I watch it live and I don't bother recording either race. 

I wonder what Goodyear is going to say about the tires this weekend.  Made for an interesting race but lots of cautions.  I'll take a 12th from Jr. considering the fact he had 2 tire issues.

dhascall wrote:

oufanindallas wrote:

You would be correct.  I don't care if I watch it live and I don't bother recording either race. 

I wonder what Goodyear is going to say about the tires this weekend.  Made for an interesting race but lots of cautions.  I'll take a 12th from Jr. considering the fact he had 2 tire issues.

38 of 227 (1,001 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2014 6:16:20 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Graham Rahal and Dale Jr possibly doing a ride swap. Article here.

Graham Rahal and Dale Jr possibly doing a ride swap. Article here.

39 of 227 (962 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2014 6:44:05 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

oufanindallas wrote:

dhascall wrote:

oufanindallas wrote:

We will agree to disagree on Pocono.  I like it.

Yeah Goodyear's got some 'splainin'' to do.  I doubt that EVERY car had agressive camber in the rear.  If it was only one or trwo, that would be reasonable but it was Penske, HMS, Roush, Phil Pasrons Racing, RCR and so on.  Remember the Brickyard fisaco where the tires only went 10 laps.  It's not the track, either

oufanindallas wrote:

dhascall wrote:

oufanindallas wrote:

We will agree to disagree on Pocono.  I like it.

Yeah Goodyear's got some 'splainin'' to do.  I doubt that EVERY car had agressive camber in the rear.  If it was only one or trwo, that would be reasonable but it was Penske, HMS, Roush, Phil Pasrons Racing, RCR and so on.  Remember the Brickyard fisaco where the tires only went 10 laps.  It's not the track, either

40 of 227 (954 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2014 9:12:30 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Several of the drivers and crew chiefs have come out and said that it was the cars setup that caused the issue.  Between running the tires at about 11psi instead of 22 which was recommended and the extreme camber they put in it was causing the tires to buckle.  None have called out Goodyear. 

Did you see where Lynda Petty passed away yesterday after a lengthy battle with cancer.  She was a true matriarch and will be missed.

Several of the drivers and crew chiefs have come out and said that it was the cars setup that caused the issue.  Between running the tires at about 11psi instead of 22 which was recommended and the extreme camber they put in it was causing the tires to buckle.  None have called out Goodyear. 

Did you see where Lynda Petty passed away yesterday after a lengthy battle with cancer.  She was a true matriarch and will be missed.

41 of 227 (944 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2014 12:57:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Mar 26, 2014 at 12:58:06 PM

oufanindallas wrote:

NASCAR may do like they did with rear end gearing and specify the minimum PSI.

Yup.  Sad.

oufanindallas wrote:

NASCAR may do like they did with rear end gearing and specify the minimum PSI.

Yup.  Sad.

[ Edited ]
42 of 227 (936 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2014 5:23:48 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

What a great race.  Glad to see Kurt (not Kyle) Busch in Victory Lane.  So 50% of SHR has now won a race.  I'm expecting Smoke to be the next in that stable to win one. With the win Kurt has now moved into 20th making him Chase eligible.  He's had some really great runs and just had some really bad luck this year.  One driver that is silently impressing me this year is Paul Menard.  He's in 11th, doesn't have a win, but has 3 top 10 finishes this year.

What a great race.  Glad to see Kurt (not Kyle) Busch in Victory Lane.  So 50% of SHR has now won a race.  I'm expecting Smoke to be the next in that stable to win one. With the win Kurt has now moved into 20th making him Chase eligible.  He's had some really great runs and just had some really bad luck this year.  One driver that is silently impressing me this year is Paul Menard.  He's in 11th, doesn't have a win, but has 3 top 10 finishes this year.

43 of 227 (898 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 1, 2014 11:30:14 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Typical Kurt, saying "our day is done" before actually seeing how bad it was.   He did a good job and beat the best at Martinsville.  Pretty fun watching Brad K and Kurt go at it.  After putting up with Brad for a lap or three, Kurt turned the tables and filled Brad's mirrors.  I kinda expected Brad to "congratulate" him on the cool down lap.  Not sure why Brad is all that upset at Kurt - it looked like Brad jerked the wheel to the right and wound up in the 41's lane.

Typical Kurt, saying "our day is done" before actually seeing how bad it was.   He did a good job and beat the best at Martinsville.  Pretty fun watching Brad K and Kurt go at it.  After putting up with Brad for a lap or three, Kurt turned the tables and filled Brad's mirrors.  I kinda expected Brad to "congratulate" him on the cool down lap.  Not sure why Brad is all that upset at Kurt - it looked like Brad jerked the wheel to the right and wound up in the 41's lane.

44 of 227 (891 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2014 8:04:34 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Missed the NW race last night, but was happy with the winner. Nice to see Awesome Bill's son in victory circle in only his 6th race.  I read about what Bill kept telling his son growing up just have fun, if you don't want to race, that's fine with me, but if you, go out and have fun and you'll learn.  Was way cool of Jr. to pick him up this year along with NAPA.  Great combo and driving his daddy's number 9.  Kid's got talent and to be able to pass and beat Harvick, Shrub and Jr. in Texas is mighty special.

Missed the NW race last night, but was happy with the winner. Nice to see Awesome Bill's son in victory circle in only his 6th race.  I read about what Bill kept telling his son growing up just have fun, if you don't want to race, that's fine with me, but if you, go out and have fun and you'll learn.  Was way cool of Jr. to pick him up this year along with NAPA.  Great combo and driving his daddy's number 9.  Kid's got talent and to be able to pass and beat Harvick, Shrub and Jr. in Texas is mighty special.

45 of 227 (874 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 8, 2014 7:48:41 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Apr 8, 2014 at 7:52:12 AM

Monday's Cup race at TX was different.  I haven't seen the Yellow/Green start, since 1979 at Daytona, that I remember.  Dale Jr. left many scratching their heads.  I was scratching my head later, when he said this:

Earnhardt Jr. "Just didn't see the grass. Didn't know the grass was down there....."

Uh, Dale they just put the grass down there on lap 11Smiley Tongue  Glad that he or JJ didn't get hurt.

Speaking of Junior's and David Ragan's wrecks: I know that the engineers really want the cars to seal to the track but they really need some higher ground clearance rules.  Many of the tri-oval and quad oval tracks and even Pocono, Michigan and Fontana, drivers have always cut through the grass.  It's darned near impossiblke now and may even result in a car getting upside down.  Maybe they should also look at better "Petty bars" behind the windshields, too.

Monday's Cup race at TX was different.  I haven't seen the Yellow/Green start, since 1979 at Daytona, that I remember.  Dale Jr. left many scratching their heads.  I was scratching my head later, when he said this:

Earnhardt Jr. "Just didn't see the grass. Didn't know the grass was down there....."

Uh, Dale they just put the grass down there on lap 11Smiley Tongue  Glad that he or JJ didn't get hurt.

Speaking of Junior's and David Ragan's wrecks: I know that the engineers really want the cars to seal to the track but they really need some higher ground clearance rules.  Many of the tri-oval and quad oval tracks and even Pocono, Michigan and Fontana, drivers have always cut through the grass.  It's darned near impossiblke now and may even result in a car getting upside down.  Maybe they should also look at better "Petty bars" behind the windshields, too.

[ Edited ]
46 of 227 (868 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2014 4:01:19 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I was at work and I think they have now blocked my Slingbox access, not sure I want to pay the $15 for the mobile app, but if it continues I will and bring my Kindle in.  I read his description of what happened and he just didn't realize how low he was going into the dogleg.  I've seen several races there in person and had it not been so wet and slick, I don't think it would have caused his car to lose control the way it did and probably wouldn't have ended his day. 

We were talking about what the name of that bar was at work and none of could remember the name, we started calling it the Betty White bar Smiley Very Happy

I was at work and I think they have now blocked my Slingbox access, not sure I want to pay the $15 for the mobile app, but if it continues I will and bring my Kindle in.  I read his description of what happened and he just didn't realize how low he was going into the dogleg.  I've seen several races there in person and had it not been so wet and slick, I don't think it would have caused his car to lose control the way it did and probably wouldn't have ended his day. 

We were talking about what the name of that bar was at work and none of could remember the name, we started calling it the Betty White bar Smiley Very Happy

47 of 227 (857 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2014 12:27:27 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

oufanindallas wrote:

I was afraid that might happen to you.  I planned this out a few years back and both my boss and my wife said, "oh, now I see why you telework on Monday's!"  Yup.  Smiley Very Happy BUT, I still get more work done at home than I do at work.  Seriously.

Do you have a personal laptop?  That plus a long range WiFi "cantenna" and a neraby (if there is one) WiFi hotspot might save you the $15.

re: Junior.  I think that he got so close behind Aric, that the front end lost air and it drifted on him.  Rain or not, these cars are too low.

oufanindallas wrote:

I was afraid that might happen to you.  I planned this out a few years back and both my boss and my wife said, "oh, now I see why you telework on Monday's!"  Yup.  Smiley Very Happy BUT, I still get more work done at home than I do at work.  Seriously.

Do you have a personal laptop?  That plus a long range WiFi "cantenna" and a neraby (if there is one) WiFi hotspot might save you the $15.

re: Junior.  I think that he got so close behind Aric, that the front end lost air and it drifted on him.  Rain or not, these cars are too low.

48 of 227 (847 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2014 8:29:35 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I'll have to check again tomorrow, but I reset my Slingbox and added a pinhole in the firewall and see if it's on m end.  I guess I'll find out tomorrow.  I don't have a laptop, only a desktop, we have an iPad2, Kindle Fire and Nook HD, I'll probably break down and spend the $15 to add it to my Kindle. 

As for the cars being so low, did you see where Jr. hit 215MPH at Michigan during testing.  That's fast at Daytona and/or Talledega, let alone Michigan.  Typically speeds are greater during qualifying and racing than testing.  I'm hoping they don't add restrictor plates to Michigan now.  I know that Brian France is wanting to knock 75-100 HP out of the motors, but they are working with GM, Ford and Toyota and it's still a few years away. 

I'll have to check again tomorrow, but I reset my Slingbox and added a pinhole in the firewall and see if it's on m end.  I guess I'll find out tomorrow.  I don't have a laptop, only a desktop, we have an iPad2, Kindle Fire and Nook HD, I'll probably break down and spend the $15 to add it to my Kindle. 

As for the cars being so low, did you see where Jr. hit 215MPH at Michigan during testing.  That's fast at Daytona and/or Talledega, let alone Michigan.  Typically speeds are greater during qualifying and racing than testing.  I'm hoping they don't add restrictor plates to Michigan now.  I know that Brian France is wanting to knock 75-100 HP out of the motors, but they are working with GM, Ford and Toyota and it's still a few years away. 

49 of 227 (837 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2014 9:19:34 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I take it 215 is the max straightline speed.  Awesome Bill, back in 1986 oir so, averaged 212 at Talladega.  That was stupid fast.  215's not exactly slow, though......  I have heard about engine HP being reduced.  They've done that in Late Model and Super Late Model racing.  Not really for speed but to control costs.  One such spec / crate engine is a 374 Cubic Inch Ford engine.  Ford Racing sells such an engine for about $9000.  A few racing engine builders take that and make some upgrades for performance and durability (with sanctioning body approval) and the final price is about $13000.  These engines can go a season or two and are sealed against any changes or tampering.  Back when Mark Martin, Alan Kulwicki and Trickle ran ASA and Late Model shows, the professional engines were $30,000 and you need 3-4 for a season.  I bet that K&N and Trucks go to a hybrid sealed/crate/spec engine before long.

I take it 215 is the max straightline speed.  Awesome Bill, back in 1986 oir so, averaged 212 at Talladega.  That was stupid fast.  215's not exactly slow, though......  I have heard about engine HP being reduced.  They've done that in Late Model and Super Late Model racing.  Not really for speed but to control costs.  One such spec / crate engine is a 374 Cubic Inch Ford engine.  Ford Racing sells such an engine for about $9000.  A few racing engine builders take that and make some upgrades for performance and durability (with sanctioning body approval) and the final price is about $13000.  These engines can go a season or two and are sealed against any changes or tampering.  Back when Mark Martin, Alan Kulwicki and Trickle ran ASA and Late Model shows, the professional engines were $30,000 and you need 3-4 for a season.  I bet that K&N and Trucks go to a hybrid sealed/crate/spec engine before long.

50 of 227 (833 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 10, 2014 6:35:57 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Yeah, that was straight away speeds, here's the article from Sporting News,  Boywer said he hit 217. 

I remember Bill Elliot getting out of the car at Talledega and telling his brother Ernie to tune it down because he wasn't going to drive it that fast.  A couple of years ago Rusty Wallace was doing radio testing at 'Dega unrestricted and averaged over 200 MPH,  and hit 228MPH

On a better note, resetting my Slingbox and adding the pin hole to my firewall at home allowed me to access it again today at work, so all is good in life again.

Yeah, that was straight away speeds, here's the article from Sporting News,  Boywer said he hit 217. 

I remember Bill Elliot getting out of the car at Talledega and telling his brother Ernie to tune it down because he wasn't going to drive it that fast.  A couple of years ago Rusty Wallace was doing radio testing at 'Dega unrestricted and averaged over 200 MPH,  and hit 228MPH

On a better note, resetting my Slingbox and adding the pin hole to my firewall at home allowed me to access it again today at work, so all is good in life again.

51 of 227 (818 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 10, 2014 10:35:05 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Apr 10, 2014 at 10:35:52 AM

oufanindallas wrote:

Lucky you.  Youtube is the only thing remotely close to streaming video allowed at my work.  Ten+ years ago, i could open streaming audio feeds and rock out all day but no more.

oufanindallas wrote:

Lucky you.  Youtube is the only thing remotely close to streaming video allowed at my work.  Ten+ years ago, i could open streaming audio feeds and rock out all day but no more.

[ Edited ]
52 of 227 (813 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2014 4:49:36 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Ok, I was impressed by Chase Elliott last week, but this kid is the real deal.  Chase's dad won several times at Darlington, but no rookie ever wins on their first trip to the Track to Tough to Tame until now.  What a restart and gutsy move by him to get past the weed and pass Sadler without getting into him to take the lead.  I'm thinking the future of NASCAR is looking pretty bright.  Between Chase, Larson, the Dillion brothers, Bubba Wallace there is some really good talent working their way up the ranks.

Ok, I was impressed by Chase Elliott last week, but this kid is the real deal.  Chase's dad won several times at Darlington, but no rookie ever wins on their first trip to the Track to Tough to Tame until now.  What a restart and gutsy move by him to get past the weed and pass Sadler without getting into him to take the lead.  I'm thinking the future of NASCAR is looking pretty bright.  Between Chase, Larson, the Dillion brothers, Bubba Wallace there is some really good talent working their way up the ranks.

53 of 227 (796 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 13, 2014 11:01:00 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Another exciting Darlington race last night.  This should help Harvick's chase standings, even though he's still not in the top 20 as long as he doesn't have anymore bad luck he should be in.  Jr. had his career best at Darlington.  He so wanted to win there last night in a place where his daddy ran so well.  I remember watching some classic battles back in early 90's when I was stationed in Charleston, SC I would make the trip twice a year.  Between Earnhardt, Elliott and Mark Martin those guys had mastered that track.

Another exciting Darlington race last night.  This should help Harvick's chase standings, even though he's still not in the top 20 as long as he doesn't have anymore bad luck he should be in.  Jr. had his career best at Darlington.  He so wanted to win there last night in a place where his daddy ran so well.  I remember watching some classic battles back in early 90's when I was stationed in Charleston, SC I would make the trip twice a year.  Between Earnhardt, Elliott and Mark Martin those guys had mastered that track.

54 of 227 (782 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2014 10:04:15 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I purposefully avoided this thread, all week, as I had yet to finish the race.  I finally watched the last 70 laps, on Thursday.  Exciting GWC's.  Not sure why Six Time chose the outside on that one restart, unless he thought that the 88 would block for him but Harv pushed the 88 by.  That 4 is sure stout.

Mark Martin's success at Darlington could be traced back to the ASA.  ASA ran some high banked 1/2 mile race tracks back in the day - darlington is just a typical Winchester or salem (Indiana tracks), Toledo, Ohio or even I-70 Spoeedway in Missouri.  Many of them they ran right against the wall.  Martin finished third at Darlington, in 1983, right behind Harry Gant and DW and he won there as late as 2009.

I purposefully avoided this thread, all week, as I had yet to finish the race.  I finally watched the last 70 laps, on Thursday.  Exciting GWC's.  Not sure why Six Time chose the outside on that one restart, unless he thought that the 88 would block for him but Harv pushed the 88 by.  That 4 is sure stout.

Mark Martin's success at Darlington could be traced back to the ASA.  ASA ran some high banked 1/2 mile race tracks back in the day - darlington is just a typical Winchester or salem (Indiana tracks), Toledo, Ohio or even I-70 Spoeedway in Missouri.  Many of them they ran right against the wall.  Martin finished third at Darlington, in 1983, right behind Harry Gant and DW and he won there as late as 2009.

55 of 227 (755 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2014 8:47:28 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Back in the 90's I was stationed at Charleston and went to both Winston Cup races in 92, 93, 94 and the spring race in 95 as well as the Busch races in 93 and 94 where Mark Martin won 3 in a row, before I was transferred to Italy.  In 93 I had 12th row seats right in front of Pit 1, which at the time past year champions got to chose their pit and it was Alan Kulwicki.  This was his last race as he was killed the following week in a plane crash flying into Bristol.  It was also before NASCAR reconfigured the track.  What used to be the front stretch is now the back stretch.  Probably one of the best races there was when Ricky Craven won by .002 against Kurt Busch.

Back in the 90's I was stationed at Charleston and went to both Winston Cup races in 92, 93, 94 and the spring race in 95 as well as the Busch races in 93 and 94 where Mark Martin won 3 in a row, before I was transferred to Italy.  In 93 I had 12th row seats right in front of Pit 1, which at the time past year champions got to chose their pit and it was Alan Kulwicki.  This was his last race as he was killed the following week in a plane crash flying into Bristol.  It was also before NASCAR reconfigured the track.  What used to be the front stretch is now the back stretch.  Probably one of the best races there was when Ricky Craven won by .002 against Kurt Busch.

56 of 227 (751 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2014 1:40:52 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

What another fantastic finish Saturday night.  Joey Logano basically locked his spot in the Chase with his 2nd win of the season.  Another top 10 for Jr. after fighting a soft brake pedal the last 100 laps. Kyle Busch put on a clinic with 4 fresh tires going from 16th to 3rd in 10 laps.  Fights after the race in the pits between Ambrose and Mears, Brad K trying to run over Matt after the race because Matt was making his car 6 lanes wide and not just let him pass.  

On to Talledega this weekend and qualifying should be fun to watch as it will be basically a mini race before the race.

What another fantastic finish Saturday night.  Joey Logano basically locked his spot in the Chase with his 2nd win of the season.  Another top 10 for Jr. after fighting a soft brake pedal the last 100 laps. Kyle Busch put on a clinic with 4 fresh tires going from 16th to 3rd in 10 laps.  Fights after the race in the pits between Ambrose and Mears, Brad K trying to run over Matt after the race because Matt was making his car 6 lanes wide and not just let him pass.  

On to Talledega this weekend and qualifying should be fun to watch as it will be basically a mini race before the race.

57 of 227 (720 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2014 6:20:03 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

oufanindallas wrote:

Yeah the Richmond race was good.  Had it all.  Not sure why NASCAR has just 6 races out of 36, on short tracks.  North Wilkesboro and the Nashville Fairgrounds are waiting for a comeback, lol.  

I woulda been mad if I was Brad K, too.  Matt ran him straight to the wall and it would have been ugly had he not lifted.  There could have been another way to let Matt know besides the  brake check.  The Dinger got into the brake check, too and drove straight into Brad, on the backstretch to let him know his feelings.  Never seen Ambrose so "fizzed up," lol.  He just didn't like getting pushed like that.  After the punch, Marcos's head snapped back like 4 times, so someone got some in on him too.  Hey UFC!

oufanindallas wrote:

Yeah the Richmond race was good.  Had it all.  Not sure why NASCAR has just 6 races out of 36, on short tracks.  North Wilkesboro and the Nashville Fairgrounds are waiting for a comeback, lol.  

I woulda been mad if I was Brad K, too.  Matt ran him straight to the wall and it would have been ugly had he not lifted.  There could have been another way to let Matt know besides the  brake check.  The Dinger got into the brake check, too and drove straight into Brad, on the backstretch to let him know his feelings.  Never seen Ambrose so "fizzed up," lol.  He just didn't like getting pushed like that.  After the punch, Marcos's head snapped back like 4 times, so someone got some in on him too.  Hey UFC!

58 of 227 (707 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2014 6:31:07 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Yeah, it was Brad K's comments after the race that really torqued me, "I understand he was trying to win, but he didn't.  I was trying to win as well and he wouldn't move over." (paraphrased)  Uh, yeah, like any racer worth his salt is just going to let you go by and win a race.  Sorry, you want it, take it, but I'm not going to make it easy on you.

Talking to my father in law last night about the Ambrose/Mears UFC fight, I guess the only reason NASCAR is looking into it and may issue penalties is that a crew member got involved as well, which is why you see Ambrose get knocked back.

Yeah, it was Brad K's comments after the race that really torqued me, "I understand he was trying to win, but he didn't.  I was trying to win as well and he wouldn't move over." (paraphrased)  Uh, yeah, like any racer worth his salt is just going to let you go by and win a race.  Sorry, you want it, take it, but I'm not going to make it easy on you.

Talking to my father in law last night about the Ambrose/Mears UFC fight, I guess the only reason NASCAR is looking into it and may issue penalties is that a crew member got involved as well, which is why you see Ambrose get knocked back.

59 of 227 (705 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2014 8:56:51 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

oufanindallas wrote:

I also felt the comments were a bit off and a bit self serving.  I scratched my head more with him saying that "you can do that if you're going to win (implying that Matt wasn't trying to win).  Again, Brad had a right to be mad, we;'ve seen Smoke, Jeff Gordon and Junior get mad when they are ran out of track.

As far as Ambrose n Mears, yeah crews should keep out of it but you don't want to see your driver punched.

I know that you were a big DE fan.  Have you brought yourself to watch "The Day, Remembering Dale Earnhardt?"    Sad but very enlightening.  Still leaves a pit in my stomach.  I forgot Steve Park won for DEI, the next week.

oufanindallas wrote:

I also felt the comments were a bit off and a bit self serving.  I scratched my head more with him saying that "you can do that if you're going to win (implying that Matt wasn't trying to win).  Again, Brad had a right to be mad, we;'ve seen Smoke, Jeff Gordon and Junior get mad when they are ran out of track.

As far as Ambrose n Mears, yeah crews should keep out of it but you don't want to see your driver punched.

I know that you were a big DE fan.  Have you brought yourself to watch "The Day, Remembering Dale Earnhardt?"    Sad but very enlightening.  Still leaves a pit in my stomach.  I forgot Steve Park won for DEI, the next week.

60 of 227 (699 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments