Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Feb 16, 2014
3:40:53 AM
View profile
NASCAR is back

Man, what a race last night.  I like the tweaks they have made with the car this year, you can actually pass at Daytona without having a huge train. 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

Man, what a race last night.  I like the tweaks they have made with the car this year, you can actually pass at Daytona without having a huge train. 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

NASCAR is back

226 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(226)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2014 3:44:11 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I missed qualifying yesterday, but seeing who is on the pole for the Daytona 500, brought a chill down my spine and a bit of tear to my eye. 

I missed qualifying yesterday, but seeing who is on the pole for the Daytona 500, brought a chill down my spine and a bit of tear to my eye. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: NASCAR is back

2 of 227 (4,690 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 18, 2014 12:22:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Feb 18, 2014 at 12:24:02 PM

oufanindallas wrote:

There's a FB friend who is calling "bravo sierra" on the 3 getting the pole, legitimately.  I'm sure that it was legit as the 27 and 33 were good and Newman's (RCR's New Man, lol) was good too.  I DO think there might be some truth to Jeff Gordon having a 400 pound weight break at the first Brickyard and probably some "fiddling" going on with Petty's 200th win, at Daytona.  In front of everyone, God and Ronald Reagan, included. Smiley Tongue

oufanindallas wrote:

There's a FB friend who is calling "bravo sierra" on the 3 getting the pole, legitimately.  I'm sure that it was legit as the 27 and 33 were good and Newman's (RCR's New Man, lol) was good too.  I DO think there might be some truth to Jeff Gordon having a 400 pound weight break at the first Brickyard and probably some "fiddling" going on with Petty's 200th win, at Daytona.  In front of everyone, God and Ronald Reagan, included. Smiley Tongue

[ Edited ]
3 of 227 (4,646 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2014 3:04:53 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Obviously your FB friend doesn't really keep up with NASCAR.  The Dillon brothers are good, really really good.  Papa Childress has made them earn every step up in their career.  Austin led quite a bit last year at both Nationwide races.  I guess in a couple of years when RCR has both Dillons and they are battling for the top dawg he'll cry Bravo Siera as well since IMHO Ty is better than Austin.  They kinda remind me of the talent that the Busch brothers have, without the attitude. I'm glad Kurt got slapped down a notch and has had to work his way back up.  Now if someone would wreck the Shrub on the first lap it would make me a happy fan.

Obviously your FB friend doesn't really keep up with NASCAR.  The Dillon brothers are good, really really good.  Papa Childress has made them earn every step up in their career.  Austin led quite a bit last year at both Nationwide races.  I guess in a couple of years when RCR has both Dillons and they are battling for the top dawg he'll cry Bravo Siera as well since IMHO Ty is better than Austin.  They kinda remind me of the talent that the Busch brothers have, without the attitude. I'm glad Kurt got slapped down a notch and has had to work his way back up.  Now if someone would wreck the Shrub on the first lap it would make me a happy fan.

4 of 227 (4,633 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2014 8:17:11 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

now Kyle Petty is claiming Bravo Sierra, as well but you know Kyle.  Maybe some brain cells got messed or burned up?  I would normally think that it's sour grapes BUT there is a lot being made of the return of the 3, to cup, so who knows.  

You did hear that Johnson had all kinds of trouble getting through tech, but as usual, I'm sure no penalties.  Smiley Sad

now Kyle Petty is claiming Bravo Sierra, as well but you know Kyle.  Maybe some brain cells got messed or burned up?  I would normally think that it's sour grapes BUT there is a lot being made of the return of the 3, to cup, so who knows.  

You did hear that Johnson had all kinds of trouble getting through tech, but as usual, I'm sure no penalties.  Smiley Sad

5 of 227 (4,615 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2014 8:36:53 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

It's funny you mention Kyle, what Richard said about Danica only being able to win a race if noone else was on the track reminds me of Kyle, the same could be said about him he wasn't that great of a driver, though he did win a few.

As far and infractions, if they are pre-race, nothing will happen this year. The crew chief will have the chance to fix anything.  If the infraction occurs post race then penalties will be assessed. This is new for this year. An explanation can be found here

It's funny you mention Kyle, what Richard said about Danica only being able to win a race if noone else was on the track reminds me of Kyle, the same could be said about him he wasn't that great of a driver, though he did win a few.

As far and infractions, if they are pre-race, nothing will happen this year. The crew chief will have the chance to fix anything.  If the infraction occurs post race then penalties will be assessed. This is new for this year. An explanation can be found here

6 of 227 (4,610 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2014 12:29:08 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

oufanindallas wrote:

I do recall changes coming.  That actually kind of blows - as the Chad Knaus's of the world will see what they can get away with, IMO, before qualifying.  I do like Chad - he's smart and likeable but loves to play in the grey area sandbox, more than most except for maybe Tony Furr.  I think he DQ'ed himself right out of good Crew Chief jobs.  Smiley Happy

oufanindallas wrote:

I do recall changes coming.  That actually kind of blows - as the Chad Knaus's of the world will see what they can get away with, IMO, before qualifying.  I do like Chad - he's smart and likeable but loves to play in the grey area sandbox, more than most except for maybe Tony Furr.  I think he DQ'ed himself right out of good Crew Chief jobs.  Smiley Happy

7 of 227 (4,602 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2014 4:00:25 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Remember Dave, in NASCAR, if you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin'.  There have been crew chiefs and car chiefs since the begging of time that have have pushed the boundries of the NASCAR rules.  What do you expect from a sport that got it's start from moonshiners?

Besides, the infraction that Jimmy's car had was something like 1/1000000th of an inch.  That's rediculous.

Did you watch the duels last night?  299 miles of clean racing and then Jimmy runs out of gas on the last lap.  Sucks for the cars behind him.

Going to be a fun race and lots of rookies in NASCAR this year that are actually going to be running full time.  Austin Dillon, Kyle Larson, Cole Whitt, Parker Klingerman, Alex Bowman, Michael Annett, Justin Allgeir, plus the few that are part timers. 

Remember Dave, in NASCAR, if you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin'.  There have been crew chiefs and car chiefs since the begging of time that have have pushed the boundries of the NASCAR rules.  What do you expect from a sport that got it's start from moonshiners?

Besides, the infraction that Jimmy's car had was something like 1/1000000th of an inch.  That's rediculous.

Did you watch the duels last night?  299 miles of clean racing and then Jimmy runs out of gas on the last lap.  Sucks for the cars behind him.

Going to be a fun race and lots of rookies in NASCAR this year that are actually going to be running full time.  Austin Dillon, Kyle Larson, Cole Whitt, Parker Klingerman, Alex Bowman, Michael Annett, Justin Allgeir, plus the few that are part timers. 

8 of 227 (4,587 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2014 8:05:50 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Feb 21, 2014 at 8:15:14 AM

I didn't watch all of the post race stuff, so I didn't know that JJ ran out of gas.  I did see Clint's in car (actually tail light panel cam) of his "backside 360," lol.  He thought he was snowboardin.'  The 500 is usually tamer than the Duels but man, if they have green flag stops and different strategies, that will  be neat, once the packs get separated.

It will be an odd Daytona 500 without Mark Martin.  Miss him, already!

I have to make sure that the NW and Truck series are still set.   All are good!

I didn't watch all of the post race stuff, so I didn't know that JJ ran out of gas.  I did see Clint's in car (actually tail light panel cam) of his "backside 360," lol.  He thought he was snowboardin.'  The 500 is usually tamer than the Duels but man, if they have green flag stops and different strategies, that will  be neat, once the packs get separated.

It will be an odd Daytona 500 without Mark Martin.  Miss him, already!

I have to make sure that the NW and Truck series are still set.   All are good!

[ Edited ]
9 of 227 (4,573 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2014 7:10:28 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Here is some "eye candy" fo race fdans.  There are some big names in this race.   Part 2 should show in the sidebar.  The funny thing is Bob Jenkins calling "Richard" Vitale, "Richard" Vuh-tally.  C'mon....

Here is some "eye candy" fo race fdans.  There are some big names in this race.   Part 2 should show in the sidebar.  The funny thing is Bob Jenkins calling "Richard" Vitale, "Richard" Vuh-tally.  C'mon....

10 of 227 (4,560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2014 5:53:39 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

The battle of the s exes is heating up.  Tony Stewart said that Danica should challenge Richard Petty to a race. Well, the King said he'd jump in a car and race her anyday.  I know he was a great driver, but I don't know if the King could race in today's NASCAR and be as successful.  Against Danica, maybe, but I'd pit most of the drivers today against Richard in his prime and most would probably beat him.

The battle of the s exes is heating up.  Tony Stewart said that Danica should challenge Richard Petty to a race. Well, the King said he'd jump in a car and race her anyday.  I know he was a great driver, but I don't know if the King could race in today's NASCAR and be as successful.  Against Danica, maybe, but I'd pit most of the drivers today against Richard in his prime and most would probably beat him.

11 of 227 (4,533 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2014 3:28:49 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

What a race last night!!!!  After the shrub led for over 6 1/2 hrs, things finally righted themselves in the NASCAR world and Jr. broke his 55 race winless streak. Seems that hot streak of three 2nd place finishes in the last 4 races last year is continuing.

What a race last night!!!!  After the shrub led for over 6 1/2 hrs, things finally righted themselves in the NASCAR world and Jr. broke his 55 race winless streak. Seems that hot streak of three 2nd place finishes in the last 4 races last year is continuing.

12 of 227 (4,499 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2014 9:46:44 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

All three of NASCAR's top series races were good.  NOT a Junior fan, but it was exciting, nonethless.  The real season begins next week.

I am proud of Junior for admiting fault for the madness after the NNS race and offering to send help to hang bodies for the lower end cars that got chewed up.  I am a Regan Smith fan, so JRM had an alright week, lol.

As far as Hypeica, I mean Danica, a race against the King would be cool - maybe 25 laps on the Concord (NC) half mile.  A better test would be a race with Danica and Johanna Long.

All three of NASCAR's top series races were good.  NOT a Junior fan, but it was exciting, nonethless.  The real season begins next week.

I am proud of Junior for admiting fault for the madness after the NNS race and offering to send help to hang bodies for the lower end cars that got chewed up.  I am a Regan Smith fan, so JRM had an alright week, lol.

As far as Hypeica, I mean Danica, a race against the King would be cool - maybe 25 laps on the Concord (NC) half mile.  A better test would be a race with Danica and Johanna Long.

13 of 227 (4,474 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2014 10:55:35 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I've been a fan of Jr's since his NNS (Busch Series) days racing for his Big E's company.  When he moved up I followed both.  When Dale died in 2001 I was in utter shock.  I've followed Little E from his hey day, to his dark days of missing the chase and have been hopeful every year that this will be the year.  Last year, if not for the blown engine during the Chase, he would have won his 1st championship without having won a single race.  Those 2nd place finishes do matter.  

I was working during the Nationwide race so I didn't see what happened with Jr.

I've been a fan of Jr's since his NNS (Busch Series) days racing for his Big E's company.  When he moved up I followed both.  When Dale died in 2001 I was in utter shock.  I've followed Little E from his hey day, to his dark days of missing the chase and have been hopeful every year that this will be the year.  Last year, if not for the blown engine during the Chase, he would have won his 1st championship without having won a single race.  Those 2nd place finishes do matter.  

14 of 227 (4,467 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2014 12:03:42 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

He wasn't paying attention after the race was over. He crossed the finish line and then went towards the apron and ran smack dab into the back of Kyle Larson which then collected Joe Nemechek, Ryan Sieg and James Buescher.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

He wasn't paying attention after the race was over. He crossed the finish line and then went towards the apron and ran smack dab into the back of Kyle Larson which then collected Joe Nemechek, Ryan Sieg and James Buescher.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

15 of 227 (4,461 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2014 12:37:25 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Feb 24, 2014 at 12:43:43 PM

oufanindallas wrote:

He had a run coming to the checkers and went about 300' down toward turn one at full throttle and didn't realize that everyone had rolled out of the throttle.  He turned Kyle Larson and dumped most of the back half of the field (10th on back).  

EDIT: BTW, although I'm not a fan, I joined the other almost 400K "sheeple" Smiley Tongue and followed Jr., on a Twitter.  Could be fun.

oufanindallas wrote:

He had a run coming to the checkers and went about 300' down toward turn one at full throttle and didn't realize that everyone had rolled out of the throttle.  He turned Kyle Larson and dumped most of the back half of the field (10th on back).  

EDIT: BTW, although I'm not a fan, I joined the other almost 400K "sheeple" Smiley Tongue and followed Jr., on a Twitter.  Could be fun.

[ Edited ]
16 of 227 (4,480 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2014 1:11:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I'm not on twitter, but I find it amusing that before he even went live with twitter he had almost 200k followers, and overnight that number doubled.  He'd been pushed by Brad K and JJ to start tweeting, but had resisted, but promised if he won the Daytona 500 he would join.

Love his first tweet though, selfie in front of his dad's statue

I'm not on twitter, but I find it amusing that before he even went live with twitter he had almost 200k followers, and overnight that number doubled.  He'd been pushed by Brad K and JJ to start tweeting, but had resisted, but promised if he won the Daytona 500 he would join.

Love his first tweet though, selfie in front of his dad's statue

17 of 227 (4,434 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2014 6:18:09 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I have a fairly low end smartphone but I have Twitter on it.  I check it, every day.  I follow some NASCAR drivers, local news stations and daily deals sites - fairly cool.  I think Jr. tried Twitter for a week or so, early on but bailed - that is where he got the first 200k, IIRC.

I "won" a spot on Brad K's truck, two years ago - 1 of 3000 names and he had 70k followers at that time.   JJ gives away swag every week during the season and  Mark Martin interacts with almost everyone, that's very cool.

I have a fairly low end smartphone but I have Twitter on it.  I check it, every day.  I follow some NASCAR drivers, local news stations and daily deals sites - fairly cool.  I think Jr. tried Twitter for a week or so, early on but bailed - that is where he got the first 200k, IIRC.

I "won" a spot on Brad K's truck, two years ago - 1 of 3000 names and he had 70k followers at that time.   JJ gives away swag every week during the season and  Mark Martin interacts with almost everyone, that's very cool.

18 of 227 (4,405 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 3, 2014 11:56:41 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

The second race of the season was a good one, too.  Jr. Nation should be proud - he was best in class.  Harv was in a class to himself.  I will say that I'm not pleased with the race distances at Phoenix or New Hampshire.  I'm of the opinion that all races (except for Road courses) should be 400 laps or miles or more.  This 500 Km stuff is for the birds.  When the scheduled Nationwide race is within slightly less than 100 miles of the scheduled cup race, tht cup distance is a bit of a gyp, IMHO.  Yesterday's race didn't sway me, I've always thought that about PHX and NH.  Phoenix is much better now, since the reconfigure.  NH should be wiped clean and redone like Irwindale, Iowa or Richmond.  The current track is single file and it might take 15 laps to take one position, let alone work through the field.

On another subject - did you see the NNS race on Saturday?  They showed the Air Titan in action - it looked like it sucked every ounce of moisture from the lane, it was in.  That was impressive!  All of that without the jet fuel residue!

The second race of the season was a good one, too.  Jr. Nation should be proud - he was best in class.  Harv was in a class to himself.  I will say that I'm not pleased with the race distances at Phoenix or New Hampshire.  I'm of the opinion that all races (except for Road courses) should be 400 laps or miles or more.  This 500 Km stuff is for the birds.  When the scheduled Nationwide race is within slightly less than 100 miles of the scheduled cup race, tht cup distance is a bit of a gyp, IMHO.  Yesterday's race didn't sway me, I've always thought that about PHX and NH.  Phoenix is much better now, since the reconfigure.  NH should be wiped clean and redone like Irwindale, Iowa or Richmond.  The current track is single file and it might take 15 laps to take one position, let alone work through the field.

On another subject - did you see the NNS race on Saturday?  They showed the Air Titan in action - it looked like it sucked every ounce of moisture from the lane, it was in.  That was impressive!  All of that without the jet fuel residue!

19 of 227 (4,378 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 4, 2014 11:22:33 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

20 of 227 (4,334 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2014 7:35:19 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Read this today regading a new online channel partially owned by NASCAR that will offer live streaming of some of the lower tieirs.

Read this today regading a new online channel partially owned by NASCAR that will offer live streaming of some of the lower tieirs.

21 of 227 (4,307 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 10, 2014 7:52:56 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Mar 10, 2014 at 7:54:34 AM

oufanindallas wrote:

I saw that too.  Pretty cool!  As was Sunday's race.  I'm not sure that I would embrace the new Chase format but folks were clammoring for wins to count more and it seems like that's the way to go.

oufanindallas wrote:

I saw that too.  Pretty cool!  As was Sunday's race.  I'm not sure that I would embrace the new Chase format but folks were clammoring for wins to count more and it seems like that's the way to go.

[ Edited ]
22 of 227 (4,281 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 10, 2014 10:46:21 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Being a Jr. fan, I hated the finish, however, 2nd place in the last 2 races following a win has only been done 4 other times in history.  Joey Logano said it best last week, 2nd doesn't mean anything anymore.  I love they way they have made drivers step it up and be more aggressive.

Being a Jr. fan, I hated the finish, however, 2nd place in the last 2 races following a win has only been done 4 other times in history.  Joey Logano said it best last week, 2nd doesn't mean anything anymore.  I love they way they have made drivers step it up and be more aggressive.

23 of 227 (4,272 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 11, 2014 3:04:13 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Brad K knew exactly what he needed to do - pressure Little E into running out.  

Second place finishes do help with momentum and since they are putting the highest non winners into the Chase, (IIRC) that has to help, for non winners.

Brad K knew exactly what he needed to do - pressure Little E into running out.  

Second place finishes do help with momentum and since they are putting the highest non winners into the Chase, (IIRC) that has to help, for non winners.

24 of 227 (4,253 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2014 1:18:26 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Oh Paul Wolfe knew Little E was running it extremely close on fuel and Brad didn't have to worry about it and told him to apply the pressure, meanwhile Steve Letarte was telling Jr. to save as much as he could.  All he needed was probably another cup of gas to get to Start/Finish line and he could have held him off.  The intensity of the racing this year has been great. Along with the new qualifying format, I'm loving it.

Oh Paul Wolfe knew Little E was running it extremely close on fuel and Brad didn't have to worry about it and told him to apply the pressure, meanwhile Steve Letarte was telling Jr. to save as much as he could.  All he needed was probably another cup of gas to get to Start/Finish line and he could have held him off.  The intensity of the racing this year has been great. Along with the new qualifying format, I'm loving it.

25 of 227 (4,242 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2014 1:40:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Mar 12, 2014 at 1:40:55 PM

I actually watched most of knck out qualifying.  Cool stuff.  I do like the idea of heat races, like they did with the Trucks at Eldorsa and like the Daytona Duels.

I actually watched most of knck out qualifying.  Cool stuff.  I do like the idea of heat races, like they did with the Trucks at Eldorsa and like the Daytona Duels.

[ Edited ]
26 of 227 (4,240 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2014 10:38:24 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Austin Dillon was signing some Diecasts and found a slight error.  See if you can spot it.  It is a funny one, lol.  Dale is turning over in his grave.

Austin Dillon was signing some Diecasts and found a slight error.  See if you can spot it.  It is a funny one, lol.  Dale is turning over in his grave.

27 of 227 (4,206 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2014 12:25:04 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

And Jeff is looking for his cut.

And Jeff is looking for his cut.

28 of 227 (4,195 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2014 1:09:55 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Yep, lol.

Yep, lol.

29 of 227 (4,190 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2014 9:43:22 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Now how did that get in there?  Smiley Surprised Took me a minute to find it.  However, Dale would be laughing at it since him and Jeff were great friends off the track and even business partners in other endevors.

Now how did that get in there?  Smiley Surprised Took me a minute to find it.  However, Dale would be laughing at it since him and Jeff were great friends off the track and even business partners in other endevors.

30 of 227 (4,151 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments