U-verse Forums

Posted Feb 25, 2013
7:43:56 AM
View profile
NASCAR Time for GEN 7 Car
After yesterdays hype for a fantastic race with better racing NASCAR better get moving on a Gen7 car because Gen 6 ain't no better than the cars it was supposed to replace. As for the broadcast, Darrel Waltrip sure has a thing for the ponytail princess that it made me sick when they did show racing, 3 laps and a commercial, 3 more laps and 5 more commercial.
145 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(145)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2013 2:34:05 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I missed the after race interview.  If he ran that well on 7 cylinders, no wonder he was checking out from the field on all 8.  He's not as flashy as Kyle Busch, but he can drive the wheels off a car as well.  I don't personnaly like Kyle, but dayum if he can't drive anything with 4 wheels and make it exciting.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

I missed the after race interview.  If he ran that well on 7 cylinders, no wonder he was checking out from the field on all 8.  He's not as flashy as Kyle Busch, but he can drive the wheels off a car as well.  I don't personnaly like Kyle, but dayum if he can't drive anything with 4 wheels and make it exciting.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: NASCAR Time for GEN 7 Car

91 of 146 (845 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2013 7:51:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

oufanindallas wrote:

The plug wire made sense, as after all the repairs he hovered around 20th -23rd place but came on to get a top 15.  So when I heard about the plug wire, it all clicked.  No pun intended.

Mad Max Papis will drive Stewart's 14, this Sunday.  He would not be my first choice (Boris, Fellows, Owen Kelly) but Max is a BIG Chevy driver.  I'm sure that they helped Smoke with that decision. 

oufanindallas wrote:

The plug wire made sense, as after all the repairs he hovered around 20th -23rd place but came on to get a top 15.  So when I heard about the plug wire, it all clicked.  No pun intended.

Mad Max Papis will drive Stewart's 14, this Sunday.  He would not be my first choice (Boris, Fellows, Owen Kelly) but Max is a BIG Chevy driver.  I'm sure that they helped Smoke with that decision. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

92 of 146 (837 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2013 7:53:46 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

oufanindallas wrote:

I saw that this morning. I wonder who's going to drive the #14 now.  Maybe Austin Dillon?

On a different note, Sunday's race was actually one of the better Pocono races in a while.  Can't believe the wreck at the drop of the green flag. It's a 400 mile race, why do they need to win it on the first lap?

Well, Austin did get called up to the Majors but just a week later.  I personally would have prefered Regan Smith but I'm sure that Austin will do okay.  Ty may actually be better than he, however.

oufanindallas wrote:

I saw that this morning. I wonder who's going to drive the #14 now.  Maybe Austin Dillon?

On a different note, Sunday's race was actually one of the better Pocono races in a while.  Can't believe the wreck at the drop of the green flag. It's a 400 mile race, why do they need to win it on the first lap?

Well, Austin did get called up to the Majors but just a week later.  I personally would have prefered Regan Smith but I'm sure that Austin will do okay.  Ty may actually be better than he, however.

93 of 146 (816 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2013 10:15:00 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by oufanindallas on Aug 16, 2013 at 10:16:03 AM

Crazy week in NASCAR.  JPM out at EGR, possibly Regan for a year to give Kyle Larson another year to develop, possibly Mark Martin as a part time driver/mentor to Larson?  Newman to EGR or RCR?  Ku Busch to EGR? RCR? Stay with FRR?  Dillon was stoked when he got the call from Smoke.  The Dillon boys take a lot of flack because their grand daddy, but both can wheel a car.  I agree Ty may be slightly better than Austin, but I'd like both to be on my team. 

Crazy week in NASCAR.  JPM out at EGR, possibly Regan for a year to give Kyle Larson another year to develop, possibly Mark Martin as a part time driver/mentor to Larson?  Newman to EGR or RCR?  Ku Busch to EGR? RCR? Stay with FRR?  Dillon was stoked when he got the call from Smoke.  The Dillon boys take a lot of flack because their grand daddy, but both can wheel a car.  I agree Ty may be slightly better than Austin, but I'd like both to be on my team. 

[ Edited ]
94 of 146 (799 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2013 9:11:44 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Aug 20, 2013 at 9:13:33 AM

oufanindallas wrote:

Mark Martin to replace Smoke for the rest of the year except for Dega.  Ever since Martin flipped the Hendrick (5) car, at Dega, he has refused to race there.

Since he is now a Chevy driver (again), he could fit in next year at EGR and maybe the 42 (or maybe Felix will bring back the 41 Target car) with Larson.  The 78 car could work for Martin/Larson as they are also a Bowtie team.  It is funny, I follow Martin on Twitter and he has already changed his profile photo to a Mobil1 pix.

oufanindallas wrote:

Mark Martin to replace Smoke for the rest of the year except for Dega.  Ever since Martin flipped the Hendrick (5) car, at Dega, he has refused to race there.

Since he is now a Chevy driver (again), he could fit in next year at EGR and maybe the 42 (or maybe Felix will bring back the 41 Target car) with Larson.  The 78 car could work for Martin/Larson as they are also a Bowtie team.  It is funny, I follow Martin on Twitter and he has already changed his profile photo to a Mobil1 pix.

[ Edited ]
95 of 146 (781 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2013 2:45:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

If anyone can wheel a car it's Mark Martin.  I met him once at TX Motor Speedway and man is he short!!  But, he is the nicest fellow you'll ever meet.  Just as honest and humble as the day is long.......Must have talked to me for a good 5 minutes and that's a looooong time for one of them.  I have always had respect for him since then.  I think he will do a good job for the 14 team.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

If anyone can wheel a car it's Mark Martin.  I met him once at TX Motor Speedway and man is he short!!  But, he is the nicest fellow you'll ever meet.  Just as honest and humble as the day is long.......Must have talked to me for a good 5 minutes and that's a looooong time for one of them.  I have always had respect for him since then.  I think he will do a good job for the 14 team.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

96 of 146 (772 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2013 8:35:24 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

dhascall wrote:

oufanindallas wrote:

Read something today that FRR may be changing to Toyota next year.  Yes they have an alliance with RCR but Toyota seems to have deeper pockets.

dhascall wrote:

oufanindallas wrote:

Read something today that FRR may be changing to Toyota next year.  Yes they have an alliance with RCR but Toyota seems to have deeper pockets.

97 of 146 (762 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2013 7:43:12 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

BeeBeeSA wrote:

Yup, he is a good guy.  Been following him since 1980.  He moved to Indiana to build race cars in the late 70's and ran a lot around here.

This is one of the cars that put him on the map.  The old ASA prepped lots of guys for NASCAR, like all the Wallaces, Martin, Kulwicki, Tricjkle and so on.

Mark Martin _2 ASA Late Model 2 Winchester Speedway 5-25-80.jpg

BeeBeeSA wrote:

Yup, he is a good guy.  Been following him since 1980.  He moved to Indiana to build race cars in the late 70's and ran a lot around here.

This is one of the cars that put him on the map.  The old ASA prepped lots of guys for NASCAR, like all the Wallaces, Martin, Kulwicki, Tricjkle and so on.

Mark Martin _2 ASA Late Model 2 Winchester Speedway 5-25-80.jpg

98 of 146 (748 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2013 9:42:58 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Back when stock cars were just that, STOCK.  I miss the old ASA races, those were fun to watch.  I also remember when it was the A, B, C to get a cup ride. Arca, Busch and then after you have proven yourself, a cup ride.  I applaud Richard Childress with the way he's handling Austin and Ty's career.  Minimum two years at each level before advancing to the next.  They have been born with a golden spoon, but grandpa is making them earn their rides.  

Back when stock cars were just that, STOCK.  I miss the old ASA races, those were fun to watch.  I also remember when it was the A, B, C to get a cup ride. Arca, Busch and then after you have proven yourself, a cup ride.  I applaud Richard Childress with the way he's handling Austin and Ty's career.  Minimum two years at each level before advancing to the next.  They have been born with a golden spoon, but grandpa is making them earn their rides.  

99 of 146 (744 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2013 9:15:41 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Aug 22, 2013 at 9:22:06 AM

Yeah and Richard made Ty and Austin start off in street stocks... on Dirt!  He made them learn how to take care and work on their stuff, too.

ASA is very near and dear to my heart.  The best series, ever, up until the late 1990's.  Better than any NASCAR division.  Their offices were 8 miles from where I used to live.  I used to work for Rex Robbins, the founder, as he was prt owner of Anderson Speedway, where I was the track's PR guy.  He started promoting Sprint car races in the mid 60's but found stock cars more "fan friendly."  He basically built the ASA stock car tour "Circuit of Champions" from Anderson's (aka Sun Valley Speedway) Late Model division.  Though they weren't called Late Models, they were basically a semi-professional racing chassis, with an actual stock car body, from the dealership or junkyard.  Up until the late 70's that was the ASA.  Then things went wild.  Martin's orange and white #2 had virtually nothing stock on it.  Fiberglass or aluminum body panels.  Lexan windshields, Dry-sump oiling systems with the oil tank in the trunk, Quick change rearends (not the Ford 9" rearends that NASCAR runs or GM 3/4 ton truck 12 bolt rears), made for racing steering and suspension pieces but the ASA of that era, I sorely miss.

ASA died because of three main reasons (plus others): Rex was getting older and wanted to retire, secondly they went with a crate motor and everyone ran the same speeds, so no passing and in 2005, the series was sold and never made it to 2006 due to a new owner who didn't know any better.

Yeah and Richard made Ty and Austin start off in street stocks... on Dirt!  He made them learn how to take care and work on their stuff, too.

ASA is very near and dear to my heart.  The best series, ever, up until the late 1990's.  Better than any NASCAR division.  Their offices were 8 miles from where I used to live.  I used to work for Rex Robbins, the founder, as he was prt owner of Anderson Speedway, where I was the track's PR guy.  He started promoting Sprint car races in the mid 60's but found stock cars more "fan friendly."  He basically built the ASA stock car tour "Circuit of Champions" from Anderson's (aka Sun Valley Speedway) Late Model division.  Though they weren't called Late Models, they were basically a semi-professional racing chassis, with an actual stock car body, from the dealership or junkyard.  Up until the late 70's that was the ASA.  Then things went wild.  Martin's orange and white #2 had virtually nothing stock on it.  Fiberglass or aluminum body panels.  Lexan windshields, Dry-sump oiling systems with the oil tank in the trunk, Quick change rearends (not the Ford 9" rearends that NASCAR runs or GM 3/4 ton truck 12 bolt rears), made for racing steering and suspension pieces but the ASA of that era, I sorely miss.

ASA died because of three main reasons (plus others): Rex was getting older and wanted to retire, secondly they went with a crate motor and everyone ran the same speeds, so no passing and in 2005, the series was sold and never made it to 2006 due to a new owner who didn't know any better.

[ Edited ]
100 of 146 (729 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2013 10:57:13 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I used to go to San Antonio Speedway all the time back when it was in it's hayday.  It's a half mile banked oval and we used to see cars fly over the retaining wall in the corners.  Real racing.  Both Labonte brothers used to race there. 

The track WAS out in the sticks (county) but back in the early 2000's the city annexed the area and it basically shut them down along with the drag stip Alamo Dragway next door.  The city didn't want them there so they basically made it impossible for them to continue business as usual.  They had septic tanks for the rest rooms, wells for water, etc. and the city told them they had to, at their own expense, connect to the city water supply and sewer system, upgrade all of the concession stands to meet city health codes, upgrade all of the bleachers, etc. so the owners threw in the towel and the place sat and got run down for years.  Finally some of the local racers banded together around 2011 and brought it back to life with allot of donations from the local area.  They only put on about 3 or 4 races a year right now, but it's good to see the track at least operational.  The drag strip is all but gone though.

I used to go to San Antonio Speedway all the time back when it was in it's hayday.  It's a half mile banked oval and we used to see cars fly over the retaining wall in the corners.  Real racing.  Both Labonte brothers used to race there. 

The track WAS out in the sticks (county) but back in the early 2000's the city annexed the area and it basically shut them down along with the drag stip Alamo Dragway next door.  The city didn't want them there so they basically made it impossible for them to continue business as usual.  They had septic tanks for the rest rooms, wells for water, etc. and the city told them they had to, at their own expense, connect to the city water supply and sewer system, upgrade all of the concession stands to meet city health codes, upgrade all of the bleachers, etc. so the owners threw in the towel and the place sat and got run down for years.  Finally some of the local racers banded together around 2011 and brought it back to life with allot of donations from the local area.  They only put on about 3 or 4 races a year right now, but it's good to see the track at least operational.  The drag strip is all but gone though.

101 of 146 (715 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2013 2:27:26 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I have heard alot about San Antonio Speedway.  They had a big Street Stock race there in 1985 and a guy from Northern indiana (Brian Ross) won it.  $10,000 was a lot for street stocks!  City leaders wanted to close the Indianapolis Speedrome down for noise reasons but they only got the track to run mufflers and shut the PA down, after 11 PM.  Anderson (Sun Valley) is right in the heart of Anderson and I'm not sure why they never had any issues.

Y'all have another Superspeedway in the Lonestar state besides Fort Worth.  Texas World Speedway, near College Station.  Modeled after Michigan but with even higher banks.  they use the roadcourse, still but the oval is in bad shape (weather and ground issues).  NASCAR and indy car ran there.

I have heard alot about San Antonio Speedway.  They had a big Street Stock race there in 1985 and a guy from Northern indiana (Brian Ross) won it.  $10,000 was a lot for street stocks!  City leaders wanted to close the Indianapolis Speedrome down for noise reasons but they only got the track to run mufflers and shut the PA down, after 11 PM.  Anderson (Sun Valley) is right in the heart of Anderson and I'm not sure why they never had any issues.

Y'all have another Superspeedway in the Lonestar state besides Fort Worth.  Texas World Speedway, near College Station.  Modeled after Michigan but with even higher banks.  they use the roadcourse, still but the oval is in bad shape (weather and ground issues).  NASCAR and indy car ran there.

102 of 146 (700 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2013 3:47:18 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Yeah I remeber many years back some NASCAR teams used to use Tx World for practice sessions and tire tests.  Gone now as you mentioned.

Yeah I remeber many years back some NASCAR teams used to use Tx World for practice sessions and tire tests.  Gone now as you mentioned.

103 of 146 (692 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 26, 2013 11:32:26 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

She's still there, the oval needs a complete resurface, down to the dirt that holds the banking up.

Great idea for a track of that size, just the wrong place and wrong time (late 70's).  Needed to be closer to a population cenrter.  Poor crowds are what killed it.  It is a twin of Michigan but TWS's banking was steeper and the speeds higher.  If they had built that near Dallas, it would have been awesome.  Fell into disrepair though they still have races on the road course and racing schools.  I subscribed to a newsletter that the current owners put out and I emailed them and they said that never would host a major race on the oval, again since NASCAR and Indycar want too high of fees.  I forsee a group of NASCAR owners buying it, fixing the oval and using it as a test track.  There are lots of tracks that are similar (1.5-2 mile).

tws.jpg

She's still there, the oval needs a complete resurface, down to the dirt that holds the banking up.

Great idea for a track of that size, just the wrong place and wrong time (late 70's).  Needed to be closer to a population cenrter.  Poor crowds are what killed it.  It is a twin of Michigan but TWS's banking was steeper and the speeds higher.  If they had built that near Dallas, it would have been awesome.  Fell into disrepair though they still have races on the road course and racing schools.  I subscribed to a newsletter that the current owners put out and I emailed them and they said that never would host a major race on the oval, again since NASCAR and Indycar want too high of fees.  I forsee a group of NASCAR owners buying it, fixing the oval and using it as a test track.  There are lots of tracks that are similar (1.5-2 mile).

tws.jpg

104 of 146 (665 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2013 8:24:28 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Well it's official, Kurt Busch will be driving a 4th car for SHR next year with Smoke, Happy and Danica.  Kinda took Smoke by surprise since he wasn't planning on expanding to 4 cars next year but since Haas is going to be the sponsor and Gene Haas is the other half of the ownership wasn't much Tony could do.  Nice to see Kurt clean up his act and land a top tier ride again.

Well it's official, Kurt Busch will be driving a 4th car for SHR next year with Smoke, Happy and Danica.  Kinda took Smoke by surprise since he wasn't planning on expanding to 4 cars next year but since Haas is going to be the sponsor and Gene Haas is the other half of the ownership wasn't much Tony could do.  Nice to see Kurt clean up his act and land a top tier ride again.

105 of 146 (648 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2013 8:18:19 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

We'll see about KuBu.  Not sure how his Indy plans fit in with SHR.  As far as his "cleanup," yeah I hope it sticks.  Once a driver (or a human) acts that way, with regular flareups, it's 50/50 if they will act up again.  He's a bit ike an addict, he's addicted to acting stupid at times.  We will see, lol.

Not sure if it's a joke but I heard Reed Sorrenson mentioned for the 42 and JPM to Indy Car with Andretti.  Juan had a great run, winning in Cup, IndyCar and F1.  Rare comoany (with Gurney and Mario)!

We'll see about KuBu.  Not sure how his Indy plans fit in with SHR.  As far as his "cleanup," yeah I hope it sticks.  Once a driver (or a human) acts that way, with regular flareups, it's 50/50 if they will act up again.  He's a bit ike an addict, he's addicted to acting stupid at times.  We will see, lol.

Not sure if it's a joke but I heard Reed Sorrenson mentioned for the 42 and JPM to Indy Car with Andretti.  Juan had a great run, winning in Cup, IndyCar and F1.  Rare comoany (with Gurney and Mario)!

106 of 146 (650 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 30, 2013 6:19:15 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I don't think Juan was really received with open arms among all of the other drivers.  My opinion of course. Somewhere a few years back, he was driving pretty aggressively (and doing pretty well) and NASCAR told him to cool it or they were going to penalize him.  Since then he's been pretty much a no show in races.  He was getting in too many conflicts.  The one I remember most was when he and Harvick were at the road course and they spun out.  Both got out of the car right in the corner and started going at it.

I think after the NASCAR warning it took the wind out of his sail so to speak.   

I don't think Juan was really received with open arms among all of the other drivers.  My opinion of course. Somewhere a few years back, he was driving pretty aggressively (and doing pretty well) and NASCAR told him to cool it or they were going to penalize him.  Since then he's been pretty much a no show in races.  He was getting in too many conflicts.  The one I remember most was when he and Harvick were at the road course and they spun out.  Both got out of the car right in the corner and started going at it.

I think after the NASCAR warning it took the wind out of his sail so to speak.   

107 of 146 (646 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 30, 2013 9:14:14 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Juan Montoya (I never liked the whole Juan Pablo Montoya thing - Ayrton Senna was Ayrton Senna, not Ayrton Senna deSilva) must have known his days were numbered at EGR - as he REALLY kicked his game up, this year.  Juan has said he will drive somewhere next yaer but not in a crud box.  It must be a car capable of winning.

By the way, he created controversy in F1, too.  Nelson Piquet, Jr. is another F1 / Controversy reject.  I liked his dad, too.

Juan Montoya (I never liked the whole Juan Pablo Montoya thing - Ayrton Senna was Ayrton Senna, not Ayrton Senna deSilva) must have known his days were numbered at EGR - as he REALLY kicked his game up, this year.  Juan has said he will drive somewhere next yaer but not in a crud box.  It must be a car capable of winning.

By the way, he created controversy in F1, too.  Nelson Piquet, Jr. is another F1 / Controversy reject.  I liked his dad, too.

108 of 146 (634 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 30, 2013 11:14:15 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Hey Beebee, here is a photo of San Antonio's Robin McCall.    She is married to Wally Dallanbach and they have a girl that runs Super Late Models

robmc.jpg

Hey Beebee, here is a photo of San Antonio's Robin McCall.    She is married to Wally Dallanbach and they have a girl that runs Super Late Models

robmc.jpg

109 of 146 (624 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2013 5:12:23 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Yea I heard that Wally lives somewhere in the San Antonio area.  Don't know how true it is.  A few years back he was doing commercials for a local tractor company called Ewald Tractors. 

Yea I heard that Wally lives somewhere in the San Antonio area.  Don't know how true it is.  A few years back he was doing commercials for a local tractor company called Ewald Tractors. 

110 of 146 (613 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2013 11:50:35 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Aug 31, 2013 at 11:52:50 PM

BeeBeeSA wrote:

He's from Colorado but maybe he moved to SA, since she is from there.  However, I heard that their daughter is racing Late Model's in NC, so I dunno.

BeeBeeSA wrote:

He's from Colorado but maybe he moved to SA, since she is from there.  However, I heard that their daughter is racing Late Model's in NC, so I dunno.

[ Edited ]
111 of 146 (597 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 1, 2013 7:44:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

According to this, she's racing New Smyrna, FL and doing rather well.

According to this, she's racing New Smyrna, FL and doing rather well.

112 of 146 (584 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 1, 2013 8:00:24 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I did some googling and it appears they do live in the San Antonio area.  The daughter goes to Smithson Valley High School (that's what the 2011 article said and she was a freshman) but I suppose they could have moved since then.

I did some googling and it appears they do live in the San Antonio area.  The daughter goes to Smithson Valley High School (that's what the 2011 article said and she was a freshman) but I suppose they could have moved since then.

113 of 146 (582 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 9, 2013 6:36:15 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

NASCAR has thrown the book at MWR for "fixing" the outcome of the race and the Chase.  $300k fine, indefinate suspension for Ty Norris, points and probation for all 3 MWR cars.  Truex Jr. no longer in Chase, Newan in.

NASCAR has thrown the book at MWR for "fixing" the outcome of the race and the Chase.  $300k fine, indefinate suspension for Ty Norris, points and probation for all 3 MWR cars.  Truex Jr. no longer in Chase, Newan in.

114 of 146 (552 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 9:02:30 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I actually haven't been able to watch the last two week's races, so I watched them both on DVR, fast forwarding to key passes and cautions. 

Wow, Richmond was messed up!   The only thing that made a difference was that Truex is out of the chase and Ryan Newman is in.  $300K to a multi-million dollar team is significant but not all that much (think six engines, lol).  As Jeff Gordon stated, the real problem (Bowyer's spin) was brushed under the rug.  Clint called Newman and while never admitting he spun on purpose, sort of did.  NASCAR handled it well, except for Bowyer.  I think that the 15 should have lost Chase points, IMO.

Now, something completely different, from Spingate and Pitgate.  AND those things easily overshadowed how NASCAR fouled up the last restarts in both the NNS and in Cup.  On Friday, Brad clearly went 1-2 car lenghs before the box.  That should be a zero tolerance deal.  You either did or you didn't.  Just like Tennis, it's in or it's out.  Brad did the same thing at the Nationwide race at the Brickyard in 2012 and then he slowed after that, forcing Sadler to beat him to the line.  On Saturday night, Menard CLEARLY got beat to the line by Cousin Carl.  I love Carl but he got away with it big time.   I wonder if NASCAR owed him one for last years foul up with Stewart, on a restart?

I actually haven't been able to watch the last two week's races, so I watched them both on DVR, fast forwarding to key passes and cautions. 

Wow, Richmond was messed up!   The only thing that made a difference was that Truex is out of the chase and Ryan Newman is in.  $300K to a multi-million dollar team is significant but not all that much (think six engines, lol).  As Jeff Gordon stated, the real problem (Bowyer's spin) was brushed under the rug.  Clint called Newman and while never admitting he spun on purpose, sort of did.  NASCAR handled it well, except for Bowyer.  I think that the 15 should have lost Chase points, IMO.

Now, something completely different, from Spingate and Pitgate.  AND those things easily overshadowed how NASCAR fouled up the last restarts in both the NNS and in Cup.  On Friday, Brad clearly went 1-2 car lenghs before the box.  That should be a zero tolerance deal.  You either did or you didn't.  Just like Tennis, it's in or it's out.  Brad did the same thing at the Nationwide race at the Brickyard in 2012 and then he slowed after that, forcing Sadler to beat him to the line.  On Saturday night, Menard CLEARLY got beat to the line by Cousin Carl.  I love Carl but he got away with it big time.   I wonder if NASCAR owed him one for last years foul up with Stewart, on a restart?

115 of 146 (536 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 11:00:24 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I personally think Clint should have been parked for the remainder of the seaon. Gordon and Newman should both be in the Chase.  

I personally think Clint should have been parked for the remainder of the seaon. Gordon and Newman should both be in the Chase.  

116 of 146 (529 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2013 10:56:52 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

oufanindallas wrote:

That will teach him.  My penalty is not as severe but still tough.  One race parked.  Probation for a year.  Zero points for the chase, would never do better than 12th.  What I wonder is, does ESPN not have telemetry that shows gas/brake input?  That would be the conclusive proof.  He obviously fell back to act like he was spinning off the 88 and that put more drivers in a bad position.

oufanindallas wrote:

That will teach him.  My penalty is not as severe but still tough.  One race parked.  Probation for a year.  Zero points for the chase, would never do better than 12th.  What I wonder is, does ESPN not have telemetry that shows gas/brake input?  That would be the conclusive proof.  He obviously fell back to act like he was spinning off the 88 and that put more drivers in a bad position.

117 of 146 (518 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2013 12:26:59 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I know they used in car audio/video to assess the penalties. Not sure about telemetry.

I know they used in car audio/video to assess the penalties. Not sure about telemetry.

118 of 146 (512 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2013 3:52:35 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

How about the newest conroversy about Gilliland and Logano?

"FOX Sports has exclusively learned of team radio communication with David Gilliland during Saturday night's NASCAR Sprint Cup race at Richmond International Raceway that allegedly asks the driver to intentionally give up a position to help Joey Logano cement a berth in the Chase for Sprint Cup.

Logano earned the 10th and final spot locked in on points, ahead of the two wild-card berths. NASCAR is looking into the issue and it could lead to another shakeup in the Chase.

The radio communication from the No. 38 team reveals that a voice on the radio, believed to be Gilliland crew chief Frank Kerr, tells the spotter to tell Logano's spotter that the track position "better pay big."

"The committee knows what I've been asking for," Kerr says.

"We've got the big dog and all his cronies," the spotter replies.

Kerr then says: "Travis knows what I've been asking for," an apparent reference to Penske Racing competition director Travis Geisler.

A short time later, Logano passed Gilliland on a restart and finished 22nd -- one spot ahead of Gilliland and good enough for a berth in the Chase field.

"Good job, good job, man," the spotter says. "Hopefully we'll get something out of that."

Wednesday afternoon, the sanctioning body issued a statement on the issue:

"NASCAR is aware of reports about the No. 22 and No. 38 radio communications at Richmond International Raceway and is looking into it, but has yet to see anything in full context that requires any action."

Jeff Gordon, who was eliminated from the Chase field by Logano's finish, said he felt he deserved to be in the championship-determining field. 

“I haven’t heard the audio, I heard about it," he said Wednesday afternoon at a charity event. "All I can say is I really feel like we deserve to be in it based on everything that happened Saturday night.”

How about the newest conroversy about Gilliland and Logano?

"FOX Sports has exclusively learned of team radio communication with David Gilliland during Saturday night's NASCAR Sprint Cup race at Richmond International Raceway that allegedly asks the driver to intentionally give up a position to help Joey Logano cement a berth in the Chase for Sprint Cup.

Logano earned the 10th and final spot locked in on points, ahead of the two wild-card berths. NASCAR is looking into the issue and it could lead to another shakeup in the Chase.

The radio communication from the No. 38 team reveals that a voice on the radio, believed to be Gilliland crew chief Frank Kerr, tells the spotter to tell Logano's spotter that the track position "better pay big."

"The committee knows what I've been asking for," Kerr says.

"We've got the big dog and all his cronies," the spotter replies.

Kerr then says: "Travis knows what I've been asking for," an apparent reference to Penske Racing competition director Travis Geisler.

A short time later, Logano passed Gilliland on a restart and finished 22nd -- one spot ahead of Gilliland and good enough for a berth in the Chase field.

"Good job, good job, man," the spotter says. "Hopefully we'll get something out of that."

Wednesday afternoon, the sanctioning body issued a statement on the issue:

"NASCAR is aware of reports about the No. 22 and No. 38 radio communications at Richmond International Raceway and is looking into it, but has yet to see anything in full context that requires any action."

Jeff Gordon, who was eliminated from the Chase field by Logano's finish, said he felt he deserved to be in the championship-determining field. 

“I haven’t heard the audio, I heard about it," he said Wednesday afternoon at a charity event. "All I can say is I really feel like we deserve to be in it based on everything that happened Saturday night.”

119 of 146 (504 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2013 3:50:50 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I guess Penske didn't realize that by virtue of having a win this year that Joey would have made the Chase over Gordon anyway.  Still sucks that they resort to having another team lay off to allow themselves to be overtaken.

I guess Penske didn't realize that by virtue of having a win this year that Joey would have made the Chase over Gordon anyway.  Still sucks that they resort to having another team lay off to allow themselves to be overtaken.

120 of 146 (490 Views)