NASCAR Time for GEN 7 Car

Mentor

NASCAR Time for GEN 7 Car

After yesterdays hype for a fantastic race with better racing NASCAR better get moving on a Gen7 car because Gen 6 ain't no better than the cars it was supposed to replace. As for the broadcast, Darrel Waltrip sure has a thing for the ponytail princess that it made me sick when they did show racing, 3 laps and a commercial, 3 more laps and 5 more commercial.
Message 1 of 146 (3,558 Views)

Re: NASCAR Time for GEN 7 Car

Good race today. Jr led a lot of laps and if not for being blocked during his last pit stop probably would have gotten out in front of Edwards and had a great shot at winning.  The dude from the Office was a great Grand Marshall and got the crowd involved.  This is not a golf tournament, ARE YOU READY?!?!

On to Vegas next week which should be a different race after they reconfigured the track and now the new car.  Definately like this better than watching a car crab walk down the straight aways.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 16 of 146 (1,680 Views)
ACE - Master

oufanindallas wrote:

Good race today. Jr led a lot of laps and if not for being blocked during his last pit stop probably would have gotten out in front of Edwards and had a great shot at winning.  The dude from the Office was a great Grand Marshall and got the crowd involved.  This is not a golf tournament, ARE YOU READY?!?!

On to Vegas next week which should be a different race after they reconfigured the track and now the new car.  Definately like this better than watching a car crab walk down the straight aways.

I normally watch races, these days on DVR, FF through the green flag runs.  The racing wasn't bad but it wasn't good, either.  Kahne got back in the pack and never could race out.  Hamlin said that the passing has to be better and he may be right - not every track has a wide apron that you can run like he did, on the final lap.

Spoiler
I'm happy for Edwards.

I also think that the side of the car could be a danger spot as Gilliland about flipped, driving down Danica's side.  That may have to be watched, as a potential launching ramp.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 146 (1,673 Views)

I thought there was quite a bit of passing in that race.  Jr. proved that passing could be done, so did Ky Busch before he wrecked himself.  Shoot Hamlin started 42 so the new car has lot's of positives.  Phoenix has never been a favorite track of mine, but it was one of the better races in a long time at that track.  Looking foward to next week.  Not an Edwards fan, but it was nice to see him get a win in the Subway car with the big wigs from Subway in attendance.  My father in law have our favorite drives, mine is Jr, his is Gordon and we both will agree, if neither of them win, as long as it's ABK, (anyone but Kyle) we're ok with the winner.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 18 of 146 (1,659 Views)
Mentor

Still looked like last week to me, 3 laps and a bunch of commercials, very few sIde by side shots, and Darrel and the boys talking about the ponytail princess being such a fantastic driver.

Message 19 of 146 (1,652 Views)

Commercial Breakdown of the 2013 Subway Fresh Fit 500: For those of you NASCAR fans that like stats and love to hate commercials, here is the breakdown for Sunday's race. Began recording the times at the Invocation of the race at 3:02 PM, and stopped at the waving of the checkered flag at 6:23 PM (all times are EST). Fox was the broadcast team for this event.
Total number of commercials: 108
Total number of companies or entities advertised: 55
Number of traditional commercials (not split-screen): 102
Number of 'Side-by-Side' commercials during race broadcast (split-screen): 6
Total number of companies or entities advertised: 5
Number of times Fox utilized 'Side-by-Side' commercials during this broadcast: 2
Total number of brief promos of products/services during the race broadcast: 32 
Total amount of time these brief promos take during broadcast: app. 4 min. 55 sec.
Start time to record race/commercial periods: 3:02 PM
End time to record race/commercial periods: 6:23 PM
Total minutes of complete race broadcast: 201
Minutes of race broadcast: 154
Minutes of traditional commercials (not split-screen): 47
Minutes of 'Side-by-Side' commercials (split-screen): 4
Number of missed restarts: 0
Number of 'mystery cautions' (debris not shown): 0 
Total race brdcst time 154 Total comm. brdcst time 47

Who's the "ponytail Princess?"

Message 20 of 146 (1,637 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

Who is thhe pony tai princess?

DANICA

Message 21 of 146 (1,626 Views)
ACE - Master

[ Edited ]

gmsuv wrote:

Who is thhe pony tai princess?

DANICA

She does spend lots of time, in interviews, fixing her ponytail.

OUFan: Indeed there were a few guys who started in the back and they moved up nicely but I knew that passing would be tough when they said how much faster that Kahne and Johnson were than Martin and they weren't closing in, on him.  Vegas could be a spread out, snoozer.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 22 of 146 (1,615 Views)
ACE - Master

oufanindallas wrote:

Commercial Breakdown of the 2013 Subway Fresh Fit 500: For those of you NASCAR fans that like stats and love to hate commercials, here is the breakdown for Sunday's race. Began recording the times at the Invocation of the race at 3:02 PM, and stopped at the waving of the checkered flag at 6:23 PM (all times are EST). Fox was the broadcast team for this event.
Total number of commercials: 108
Number of traditional commercials (not split-screen): 102
Number of 'Side-by-Side' commercials during race broadcast (split-screen): 6
Total number of companies or entities advertised: 5
Number of times Fox utilized 'Side-by-Side' commercials during this broadcast: 2
Total number of brief promos of products/services during the race broadcast: 32 
Total amount of time these brief promos take during broadcast: app. 4 min. 55 sec.
Start time to record race/commercial periods: 3:02 PM
End time to record race/commercial periods: 6:23 PM
Total minutes of complete race broadcast: 201
Minutes of race broadcast: 154
Minutes of traditional commercials (not split-screen): 47
Minutes of 'Side-by-Side' commercials (split-screen): 4
Number of missed restarts: 0
Number of 'mystery cautions' (debris not shown): 0 
Total race brdcst time 154 Total comm. brdcst time 47

Who's the "ponytail Princess?"

They should add another stat "How many times Danica says "uh" during an interview."  Drives me crazy!!

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

Message 23 of 146 (1,607 Views)
ACE - Master

I just want to see her do well - or move over.  There are at least a dozen more deserving drivers of her 10 car.  As one local sportscaster said, "one win, in eight years."

Message 24 of 146 (1,599 Views)
Expert

I'll make the argument that for her specifically, the wins (or podium finishes) don't matter very much, or at least matter less than for other drivers.

She is on the cusp of giving all the race viewers a "moment" in history. Sooner or later, her, or another female, will win a NASCAR race. People want to be there and see it when it happens, and that's why they're watching. People want to see her succeed and conquer what is thought to be one of the last bastions of a male-dominated profession.

She won only one race in IndyCar, but throughout the years she was there, she was always on a top team. So will it be with NASCAR, because wins or no wins, she puts people in the seats, commercials on the TV, and sponsor stickers on the car. And that's enough.
Message 25 of 146 (1,586 Views)
ACE - Master

Well said, SJ.

I, myself, don't think that she's that attractive but apparently. many men (and maybe some women) do.  I just hope that Johanna Long gets the kind of shot, that she got, in similar Nationwide cars.

Danica never won in Indy Lights but the following year, Katherine Legge won three times.  Unfortuantely, her claim to fame was trying to knock the bridge down at Road America.  We'll see how DP does - she did well at Daytona.

Message 26 of 146 (1,582 Views)
Mentor

I have been to many INDYCAR races where Danica was not even in the mix.  Her off track performance, refushing to sign autographs in the garage area, and having a hissyfit when things were not going her way will eventually show up in NASCAR also.   By the way the only race she won was in INDYCAR at a race in Japan when almost all the the entries either crashed or had a mechanical failure.

Message 27 of 146 (1,574 Views)

I thought you were referring to Kyle Petty at first.  Smiley Very Happy

I think given time Danica will be fine.  She's been in the hunt at several Indy car races, has shown improvement in Nationwide and cup races.  She's still a rookie that drives better than some of the "seasoned" drivers out there.  I'd like to see her succeed.  She wasn't spectacular yesterday but had worked her way from 40th up to 22nd before her tire blew and she wrecked.  As for her past Indy cars, they have not been that great and the team didn't have the same power as other teams, even the vets on that team just couldn't get the speed they needed so she did what she could with the equipment she had.

I think Joanna Long can do well given time.  The problem is that sponsors today want instant gratification before they spend money on a relative no name driver they would rather see someone who is going to be a draw.  Until GoDaddy decides they no longer want to sponsor Danica, or until she quits she is going to be here because she can. 

Message 28 of 146 (1,569 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

gmsuv wrote:

By the way the only race she won was in INDYCAR at a race in Japan when almost all the the entries either crashed or had a mechanical failure.

My question to you to defend that argument is: How does that diminish her win?

Racing is won by being at the finish line when the checkered flag drops.  She met that requirement, thus she won.  The particulars are immaterial.

If you don't believe me, consider this: Andre Agassi won the 2003 Austrailian Open at the age of 33 (very old, by world-class tennis standards), against a 27-year old opponent.  How did he do that?  I'll tell you.  He didn't do it by hitting winners.  He did it by not making errors.  His opponent double-faulted, he didn't.  His opponent hit backhands out, he didn't.  Trophy.

At Twin Ring Motegi in 2008, Danica didn't wreck, her opponents did.  She didn't run out of gas, her opponents did.  The fact of the matter is that she overcame the obstacles that stopped everyone else from being at the finish line when the checkered flag dropped.  Trophy.

Sorry, but the win isn't diminished just because some of the superstars weren't on the track at the end.  On that day, they weren't superstars.  That's why you race the race.  If the only measure you care about is the "best" driver, then why even hold the race?  Just give the trophy to the pole position winner after the time trials and don't bother.

You don't call the NFL season over once the 6 teams are seeded for the playoffs by giving the Lombardi trophy to the #1 seed and not bothering with the Super Bowl.  So what if you're the #1 seed?  You have to close the deal and win 3 more games.  Same with racing.  You can't call the race over just because you're the fastest car on the track or you're leading at the halfway point.  You want the trophy, you have to close the deal.  Danica's opponents didn't, she did.  1st place, case closed.

Message 29 of 146 (1,545 Views)
Mentor

Well running all those years for AndrettiAuto Sports, a top funded team, and only comming up with 1 win, be it by default, does not make her a top tier driver.  The only reason she is running in the NASCAR series is NASCAR needs her because their series iis on a the decline.  Fewer dollars, few sponsorships, and a serious decline in attendance.

Message 30 of 146 (1,509 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Having service trouble? There is an app for that! Use our troubleshooting tool or text myATT to 8758 to download the app. It is much faster than posting on our forums. You will also find some helpful articles below.