Microsoft XBox One Destined to fail?

Microsoft XBox One Destined to fail?

I was considering purchasing the new XBox when it came out, but after reading that unless you are connected to the internet you can't play thanks to it's DRM protection I'm just going to upgrade from the PS3 to the PS4.  Micro$oft has also pretty much done away with borrowing or renting games.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 1 of 13 (3,441 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: Microsoft XBox One Destined to fail?

When I first saw the box and it's features I was excited for it. Now I'm definitely in a wait and see approach. I don't like the 24 hour check in requirement and mandatory always online approach.

Something tell me though that if Sony isn't doing a similar feature, then odds are very very good that Microsoft will have to remove some of those requirements that they're pushing right now

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 13 (3,417 Views)
ACE - Professor

$500!? Good lord that's a lot of money.

-------

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 13 (3,360 Views)
ACE - Master

I have read several different stories that MS will continue producing the XBox 360 and may mark the 4 Gb version down to $99, to capture the entry level market.  Y'all heard anything on this?

Message 4 of 13 (3,343 Views)
ACE - Professor

From what I'm seeing the new E models are coming out at the same price as the current Slim models that are out in the stores right now.

If you want to get one for cheap I suggest you either find a factory refurbished model or you can get an Xbox with a  subscription for $99 upfront.  

The subscription model is either the 4gb with Kinect version or the 250gb with no Kinect model. The subscription will be $15 a month and includes Xbox Live Gold for 2 years. 

-------

Message 5 of 13 (3,338 Views)
ACE - Master

Thanks, ag.

Message 6 of 13 (3,320 Views)
Observer

Anyone know if any info has been released about how the xbox one will intergrate with uverse. I how they stay with how it is now app based instead of hdmi passthru.

Message 7 of 13 (3,306 Views)
ACE - Professor

oakleymandave wrote:

Anyone know if any info has been released about how the xbox one will intergrate with uverse. I how they stay with how it is now app based instead of hdmi passthru.

As of right now every cable company is going to be done via passthrough. They do have a IR blaster port on the back of the One to allow for channel changing. 

If the XBox One can control the TV via CEC and if AT&T enables this feature for HDMI on all of their boxes, it would allow for the channels to be changed without using an IR blaster.

-------

Message 8 of 13 (3,293 Views)
Scholar

oufanindallas wrote:

I was considering purchasing the new XBox when it came out, but after reading that unless you are connected to the internet you can't play thanks to it's DRM protection I'm just going to upgrade from the PS3 to the PS4.  Micro$oft has also pretty much done away with borrowing or renting games.

I think PS4 pretty much knocked them out of the park on at E3:

•  No used game restictions [the crowd went wild over this one]
  •  No check-in every 24 hours
  •  No 'always connected to Internet' component
  •  Playstation Plus (free games, discounts) will cover Vita, PS3 AND PS4
  •  Gamer-first mentality
  •  $399 price point
Message 9 of 13 (3,283 Views)
Highlighted

PotatoeGuru wrote:

oufanindallas wrote:

•  Gamer-first mentality
  •  $399 price point

I missed the E3 release for the PS4, but since I'm a PS users since the 1st one, I'll more than likely just keep using PS products.  I don't do any online gaming and don't typically have my PS connected to the internet and the fact that M$ is requiring it kinda turned me off.  That and with the PS I'll still be able to go to Gamestop and get used games for pennies on the dollar, yeah, I like that much better.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 10 of 13 (3,225 Views)
ACE - Professor

oufanindallas wrote:

PotatoeGuru wrote:

oufanindallas wrote:

•  Gamer-first mentality
  •  $399 price point

I missed the E3 release for the PS4, but since I'm a PS users since the 1st one, I'll more than likely just keep using PS products.  I don't do any online gaming and don't typically have my PS connected to the internet and the fact that M$ is requiring it kinda turned me off.  That and with the PS I'll still be able to go to Gamestop and get used games for pennies on the dollar, yeah, I like that much better.

Well it looks like Microsoft did a 180 on thier always online policy.  I'm disappointed that some of the features like game sharing are gone but overall I think it was a smart decision.

-------

Message 11 of 13 (3,095 Views)

Saw that. I guess they could see diehard fans leaving in droves if they decided to continue with the always connected mentality.  Still don't know if I'll switch. If the PS4 still plays PS3 games then I'll more than likely stay with Sony.

Message 12 of 13 (3,086 Views)
ACE - Professor

oufanindallas wrote:

Saw that. I guess they could see diehard fans leaving in droves if they decided to continue with the always connected mentality.  Still don't know if I'll switch. If the PS4 still plays PS3 games then I'll more than likely stay with Sony.

It's not backwards compadable in the traditional sense. You'll be streaming the games via their Gaikai service to your PS4 to play them. The PS3 discs won't work in a PS4.

-------

Message 13 of 13 (3,065 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Having service trouble? There is an app for that! Use our troubleshooting tool or text myATT to 8758 to download the app. It is much faster than posting on our forums. You will also find some helpful articles below.