Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Let's Talk About the Weather - The New Temp Thread

ACE - Master

Let's Talk About the Weather - The New Temp Thread

Another "cool" front blew through Indy last night with a reinforcing short of cool air.  Lots of wind and temps today in the 60's.  Maybe some light frost tomorrow.  We are still way down in the rainfall department but we got half an inch Wed. afternoon and that was as much as we received in all of August! 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 1 of 2,356
Master

Re: Let's Talk About the Weather - The New Temp Thread

Glad Spd brought your post back up Skp and I must have missed it while on vacation.

When I managed several parks I worked closely with the power/utility companies in tree trimming/removal around overhead lines. It was always a compromise since I realized how important to keep power/phone up and running while at the same time making sure the actual subcontractors doing the work didn't butcher all the trees along these lines in natural area parks. But overhead tree limbs above/near the lines, and dead trees next to the lines, sure take them out.

I found out firsthand what happens when these trees are not pruned back from the lines during the "Christmas Ice Storm, 2004". I have never seen so many limbs/dead trees come down on my long lines to the house and was w/o power for 8 days. The ice covering everything was 1 1/4" thick and it's no wonder so many trees/limbs came down. But I found out afterwards from a supervisor with the power company that the guy who became manager of the park where I live directly told them not to prune back my 800' electric lines. Real nice and I had them prune back the lines that summer while getting the tree pruning back on a regular schedule.

One of the problems in pruning real tall overhanging trees in our parks is their bucket trucks can't reach them and we don't allow the use of climbing spikes because they open up wounds in the trees for insects/disease to enter. Good tree climbers can climb trees w/o spikes but typically the real big/tall trees just don't get pruned back.

Agree SKP that sometimes the gov't has to step in to enforce the pruning back of utility right-a-ways. Inadequate tree pruning by First Energy of Ohio was one of the major reasons 50 million electric users were w/o power during probably the largest outage ever in the US/Canada on Aug 14, 2003. Of course other blunders were made to cause all these power grids to go down.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=5562333&page=1#.UAKFv_VnDSs

Escapee wrote:

Spd that's what happens when the general consensus is less govern the better. Sometimes you reach the point government has to make some big business do the right thing. We had some ice storms a few years ago that shut down power over wide areas. The Utilities made all power companies clear out right of ways. Now when we have a storm in summer or winter the outages are very small and usually from a whole tree that fell. With the cleared right of way they could get to the one damaged span instead of having to clear the right of way with several spans damaged. The power companies were suppose to be doing this all the time but they had gotten slack and were saving money.

Any way the cold front has moved in with a thunderstorm and the temp has dropped from around 100 to 80. Will have to wear my long johns tomorrow with temps in the mid 80s.

Uniblurb3

If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering someone else's dog around.

Need help? Contact AT&T at 800-288-2020.
Message 2266 of 2,356
Expert

I bet if the power company was required to provide every home with a free whole-home generator in areas that constantly lose power, they'd magically find a way to fix things. Smiley Mad

It's not over for us, more rain expected.  Here's an article with some photos of the flooding.

Message 2267 of 2,356
Employee

My little gray furry tailed pigs have gotten so use to me they just freeze or flatten out on the ground and watch me. Your patio squirrel has gotten so use to you being around he/she is not afraid unless you get too close.

We have gotten rain at least every other day here. Between rain and me watering the moss I am seeing single moss spikes in between the established clumps. I may have a pretty solid mat by the end of the summer. Since I am just helping what has been growing for years expand I have a patch work of different textures and colors of green.

The long leaf pines are dropping needles now so I am having to pick those up. The hand mower with the bag on is the easiest way but it also sucks up any loose moss that may be trying to grow in the bare patches. People pay a fortune for a bale of long leaf pine needle and around here we think it is a nuisance worst then regular tree leaves.

Uni it was neat to read about the stone driveway on the hill used to start the car. It is neat to see how humans solve problems that bug them.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2268 of 2,356
Expert

Hi guys and good morning! Smiley Happy We have had NO rain to speak of here, in awhile. We're supposed to get some t-storms today, which will be nice, as long as they cool things off and don't make it more humid. 

Escapee...I guess having green moss is better than just having dirt. Smiley Wink So, you have some little gray pigs?? Squirrels, you mean?? I have one or two that tend to like my back porch..they sit there and eat whatever nuts they have found. I'd just wish they'd clean up after themselves. Smiley Tongue

Have a good one, everybody... Smiley Happy

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Message 2269 of 2,356
Expert

OK, DC, so you have squirrels that travel in pairs, too?

Major downpour for about an hour now, one the is so loud it requires pumping up the TV volume!

Message 2270 of 2,356
Master

So much for the rain/thunderstorms and we haven't had any except for a real small amount yesterday morning. Bet we only got about 1/8" and must have been bad luck to post it's raining because as soon as I did it stopped.

I sure don't think the high-humidity is going to quench the thirst of the drought stricken plants and with 87 right now it's hot! Will be even hotter in the next couple days w/no rain and that's all we need. Smiley Sad

Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday
Chance of a Thunderstorm
88° F | 68° F
Partly Cloudy
95° F | 68° F
Partly Cloudy
97° F | 72° F
Chance of a Thunderstorm
88° F | 70° F
Mostly Cloudy
88° F | 63° F
Chance of T-storms
50% chance of precipitation
Partly Cloudy Partly Cloudy Chance of T-storms
50% chance of precipitation
Mostly Cloudy

Speaking of squirrels, believe I've mention this story before. When I was a young kid a real cute gray squirrel came up on our back porch to eat peanuts in shells we put out. One day I decided to try and feed this squirrel by hand. So the cute guy came hopping up while I held a peanut out between by index finger and thumb. When real close he quickly went right by the peanut and bit the heck out of the web of my hand! %#*&%*#, and I never tried to feed him again!

A couple weeks later I was at my grandfather's real nice expensive place and saw a peanut laying in the mulch of his flower bed. I reached down with the same hand the squirrel had bit and grabbed the peanut. A jaw trap shut on my hand and I screamed bloody murder! Pappy caught heck for that one but don't believe he liked his grandkids much anyhow. Real nice guy!

Uniblurb3

If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering someone else's dog around.

Message 2271 of 2,356
Expert

Hi Uni! THAT is one heck of a story ..lol! I bet you didn't care too much for your Pappy after THAT incident, either. Smiley Wink

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Message 2272 of 2,356
Expert

Oh, btw, we got a little rain, about 5 minutes worth...what a joke. It's still muggy as ever, too.

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Message 2273 of 2,356
ACE - Master

No rain here.  Less than one inch since May 4th.  The 17 day streak of 90 or above broke yesterday - it only got to 89.

Water restrictions are everywhere - can't water lawns, wash cars or sidewalks (though commercial car washes are okay - it's all about the $).  You can water flowers and gardens.  Most lawns look like hay fields.  The NWS said that this drought is worth than the dustbowl of 34 and 36. Smiley Mad

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2274 of 2,356
Master

Dcookie wrote:
Hi Uni! THAT is one heck of a story ..lol! I bet you didn't care too much for your Pappy after THAT incident, either. Smiley Wink

Nope DC, and it's hard to believe some people can be born a mean ole' man! ; )

So they had thunderstorms/monsoon rains just 10 mi N of here all day and we didn't get a drop of rain! In fact they posted flood warnings for 3 counties in a line along I-70. Lucky people....

Uniblurb3

Message 2275 of 2,356
Expert

dhascall wrote:

No rain here.  Less than one inch since May 4th.  The 17 day streak of 90 or above broke yesterday - it only got to 89.

Water restrictions are everywhere - can't water lawns, wash cars or sidewalks (though commercial car washes are okay - it's all about the $).  You can water flowers and gardens.  Most lawns look like hay fields.  The NWS said that this drought is worth than the dustbowl of 34 and 36. Smiley Mad

Hardly any to speak of here too and the thing that ticked me off today was that someone in the neighborhood I was in today was actually doing some BURNING!!! You'd think there would also be a burn ban since it's been so dry?? Maybe there was and this person never got the memo?? Smiley Indifferent

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Message 2276 of 2,356
Expert

Uniblurb3 wrote:

Dcookie wrote:

Nope DC, and it's hard to believe some people can be born a mean ole' man! ; )

So they had thunderstorms/monsoon rains just 10 mi N of here all day and we didn't get a drop of rain! In fact they posted flood warnings for 3 counties in a line along I-70. Lucky people....

Yes, I'm sure some people are born that was, sorry to say, BUT that makes for YOU to not be like him. Smiley Happy

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Message 2277 of 2,356
Professor

We got a quarter inch of rain here Saturday morning, while welcome, it amounted to a drop in the bucket so to speak. Mid 90's today and near 100 tomorrow with high heat indices. They are predicting a widespread chance of storms tomorrow night ahead of a cool front but I haven't heard how much rain is expected.

Given up on the lawn and just concentrating on watering the bushes and flowers. I haven't had to cut the grass in over a month now so I'm saving money on gasoline and yard waste stickers but I may have to take out a loan to pay the electric and water bills.  :smileysad:

Message 2278 of 2,356
ACE - Master

Dcookie wrote:

dhascall wrote:

Hardly any to speak of here too and the thing that ticked me off today was that someone in the neighborhood I was in today was actually doing some BURNING!!! You'd think there would also be a burn ban since it's been so dry?? Maybe there was and this person never got the memo?? Smiley Indifferent

You have to be kidding, DC.  The fireworks ban is still in place but some hill jack will still fire one off, every once in a while.  TV news showed a sparkler (in a controlled experiment) burning grass in less than 10 seconds.  

Our medians on the interstates are tinder boxes and one went up today, on 6 lane I-70, out by Indianapolis International Airport.

Message 2279 of 2,356
Expert

Uni, I had a mean gramp, too!

2nd rain today; one that's going on now took out the power twice already! 100x's Smiley Mad

I was in the middle of a fence repair I've been trying to do for 3 wks.! Grrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!
Message 2280 of 2,356
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support