Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Oct 15, 2010
12:46:03 PM
View profile
Let's Talk About the Weather - The New Temp Thread

Another "cool" front blew through Indy last night with a reinforcing short of cool air.  Lots of wind and temps today in the 60's.  Maybe some light frost tomorrow.  We are still way down in the rainfall department but we got half an inch Wed. afternoon and that was as much as we received in all of August! 

Another "cool" front blew through Indy last night with a reinforcing short of cool air.  Lots of wind and temps today in the 60's.  Maybe some light frost tomorrow.  We are still way down in the rainfall department but we got half an inch Wed. afternoon and that was as much as we received in all of August! 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Let's Talk About the Weather - The New Temp Thread

2,355 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2,355)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2010 10:03:44 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

dhascall wrote:

The NOAA discussion page indicates that the storm track may move a bit further North - so that may may mean heavier snowfall for the I-70 corridor or maybe the icy area may move North too.  Regardless it will be messy, somewhere over Christmas Eve.

EDIT: Top 10 snowiest US Cities:

http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/snowiest-cities-top-10_2010-12-07

Major shift - the Christmas Eve storm appears to be headed south and may bring snow to the TN valley:

ALL MODELS ARE CONTINUING TO TREND TOWARD THE ORIGINAL SOUTHERN

SOLUTION OF THE EURO. THIS WILL TAKE THE NORTHERN PULSE OF SYSTEM

ACROSS THE TENNESSEE VALLEY...AND THE SOUTHERN PULSE ACROSS THE

DEEP SOUTH. THE BEST VORT MAX OF THE TWO IS ASSOCIATED WITH THE

SOUTHERN PIECE OF ENERGY TO BEGIN WITH...AND THE WEAKER LIFT WITH

THE NORTHERN WAVE OF ENERGY WILL NOW ONLY SKIM SOUTHERN PORTIONS

OF CENTRAL INDIANA. SO...SNOW TOTALS ARE QUICKLY DIMINISHING

ACROSS CENTRAL INDIANA. THE HIGHEST TOTALS WILL BE CONFINED TO THE

SOUTHERN PORTIONS OF THE AREA WITH INITIAL PASSAGE OF THE

SYSTEM...BUT LINGERING LAKE EFFECT SNOW SHOWERS COULD BRING THE

TOTALS UP ACROSS THE NORTH OVER THE WEEKEND.

dhascall wrote:

The NOAA discussion page indicates that the storm track may move a bit further North - so that may may mean heavier snowfall for the I-70 corridor or maybe the icy area may move North too.  Regardless it will be messy, somewhere over Christmas Eve.

EDIT: Top 10 snowiest US Cities:

http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/snowiest-cities-top-10_2010-12-07

Major shift - the Christmas Eve storm appears to be headed south and may bring snow to the TN valley:

ALL MODELS ARE CONTINUING TO TREND TOWARD THE ORIGINAL SOUTHERN

SOLUTION OF THE EURO. THIS WILL TAKE THE NORTHERN PULSE OF SYSTEM

ACROSS THE TENNESSEE VALLEY...AND THE SOUTHERN PULSE ACROSS THE

DEEP SOUTH. THE BEST VORT MAX OF THE TWO IS ASSOCIATED WITH THE

SOUTHERN PIECE OF ENERGY TO BEGIN WITH...AND THE WEAKER LIFT WITH

THE NORTHERN WAVE OF ENERGY WILL NOW ONLY SKIM SOUTHERN PORTIONS

OF CENTRAL INDIANA. SO...SNOW TOTALS ARE QUICKLY DIMINISHING

ACROSS CENTRAL INDIANA. THE HIGHEST TOTALS WILL BE CONFINED TO THE

SOUTHERN PORTIONS OF THE AREA WITH INITIAL PASSAGE OF THE

SYSTEM...BUT LINGERING LAKE EFFECT SNOW SHOWERS COULD BRING THE

TOTALS UP ACROSS THE NORTH OVER THE WEEKEND.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Let's Talk About the Weather - The New Temp Thread

271 of 2,356 (1,037 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 24, 2010 9:46:28 AM
(0)
Expert

30 for Christmas night and freezing again the next. Smiley Mad  I HATE WINTER! Smiley Mad

30 for Christmas night and freezing again the next. Smiley Mad  I HATE WINTER! Smiley Mad

272 of 2,356 (1,009 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 24, 2010 10:27:26 AM
(0)
Master

Current Conditions Today      Tomorrow 
 Magnolia, TX * 

Mostly Cloudy   73° / 42°        53° / 30° 

lots of shunshine may go mow  

nah

:_P)

Current Conditions Today      Tomorrow 
 Magnolia, TX * 

Mostly Cloudy   73° / 42°        53° / 30° 

lots of shunshine may go mow  

nah

:_P)

273 of 2,356 (1,006 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 24, 2010 11:02:07 AM
(0)
Guru

Smiley Very Happy  It's Christmas Eve!  You're not supposed to mow!  I'm very disappointed we had a little rain this morning and it's just too wet to rake leaves!  NOT!  Guess I'll start on the eggnog instead! Smiley Happy

Smiley Very Happy  It's Christmas Eve!  You're not supposed to mow!  I'm very disappointed we had a little rain this morning and it's just too wet to rake leaves!  NOT!  Guess I'll start on the eggnog instead! Smiley Happy

274 of 2,356 (995 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 24, 2010 2:47:54 PM
(0)
Expert

Don't forget the liquor. Smiley Wink 

Leaves are falling like crazy now, all cleaned up this AM, can't tell it now.  They were supposed to have fallen already. Smiley Sad

Heard Dallas got the heavy rains around noon that we're expecting tonight. Smiley Mad

Don't forget the liquor. Smiley Wink 

Leaves are falling like crazy now, all cleaned up this AM, can't tell it now.  They were supposed to have fallen already. Smiley Sad

Heard Dallas got the heavy rains around noon that we're expecting tonight. Smiley Mad

275 of 2,356 (983 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 24, 2010 4:11:32 PM
(0)
Expert

Rain is here and pounding us; awaiting power outage...

Rain is here and pounding us; awaiting power outage...

276 of 2,356 (979 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2010 3:50:25 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

We had rain all day long yesterday. Nothing heavy, just a nice long soaking rain.  Was freezing outside, but we desparately needed the rain.  At least it wasn't the snow we had last year.

Gonna be chilly for a while now.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

We had rain all day long yesterday. Nothing heavy, just a nice long soaking rain.  Was freezing outside, but we desparately needed the rain.  At least it wasn't the snow we had last year.

Gonna be chilly for a while now.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

277 of 2,356 (964 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2010 4:40:23 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by spd2demun on Dec 25, 2010 at 4:40:45 AM

Thanks for sending that rain and cold to Houston. Smiley Sad  I was looking at photos from last year and we had snow on Dec. 5th!  I HATE WINTER! Smiley Mad

Thanks for sending that rain and cold to Houston. Smiley Sad  I was looking at photos from last year and we had snow on Dec. 5th!  I HATE WINTER! Smiley Mad

[ Edited ]
278 of 2,356 (957 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2010 5:38:09 AM
(0)
Master

AND WINTER HATES US! Smiley Mad Smiley Very Happy

We only got about 1-2" of snow last night but light snows supposed to continue for next 48 hours. Hasn't been above freezing for 18 days.

Sure not looking forward to traveling the roads today with a 60 mile round trip to my brothers. Also have to pick daughter/grandson up at the airport in the wee hours of tomorrow morning. And have seen where there have been major flight delays about everywhere. Well, it will be worth it. Smiley Wink

Got my 1st unexpected Christmas present today and aren't lady bugs supposed to be lucky? Had a glass of juice sitting down for an hour, took a big drink, and had a live lady beetle stuck clear in the back of my throat. Barely got it spit out before going down. Yuk! Smiley Surprised Smiley Very Happy

Saturday Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday
Chance of Snow
27° F | 23° F
Chance of Snow
27° F | 20° F
Partly Cloudy
25° F | 11° F
Partly Cloudy
29° F | 14° F
Partly Cloudy
32° F | 25° F
Chance of Snow
40% chance of precipitation
Chance of Snow
50% chance of precipitation
Partly Cloudy Partly Cloudy Partly Cloudy

Uniblurb3

If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering someone else's dog around.

Need help? Contact AT&T at 800-288-2020.

AND WINTER HATES US! Smiley Mad Smiley Very Happy

We only got about 1-2" of snow last night but light snows supposed to continue for next 48 hours. Hasn't been above freezing for 18 days.

Sure not looking forward to traveling the roads today with a 60 mile round trip to my brothers. Also have to pick daughter/grandson up at the airport in the wee hours of tomorrow morning. And have seen where there have been major flight delays about everywhere. Well, it will be worth it. Smiley Wink

Got my 1st unexpected Christmas present today and aren't lady bugs supposed to be lucky? Had a glass of juice sitting down for an hour, took a big drink, and had a live lady beetle stuck clear in the back of my throat. Barely got it spit out before going down. Yuk! Smiley Surprised Smiley Very Happy

Saturday Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday
Chance of Snow
27° F | 23° F
Chance of Snow
27° F | 20° F
Partly Cloudy
25° F | 11° F
Partly Cloudy
29° F | 14° F
Partly Cloudy
32° F | 25° F
Chance of Snow
40% chance of precipitation
Chance of Snow
50% chance of precipitation
Partly Cloudy Partly Cloudy Partly Cloudy

Uniblurb3

If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering someone else's dog around.

279 of 2,356 (941 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2010 11:15:31 AM
(0)
Guru

Keep that snow up there, Uni.  Think my sisters in Kettering are dealing with it also.  Below freezing here tonight and tomorrow, then warming up.  Bad news for OSU suspending Pryor next year -- sometime you wonder if those folks have a brain!

Keep that snow up there, Uni.  Think my sisters in Kettering are dealing with it also.  Below freezing here tonight and tomorrow, then warming up.  Bad news for OSU suspending Pryor next year -- sometime you wonder if those folks have a brain!

280 of 2,356 (923 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2010 12:21:51 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Snow swung below Mich over night.  Too bad for the people trying to leave via the airports.  Here Delta cancelled over 200 flights this morning.  Hopefully the airports will get cleared up so that those who have already traveled will have an easy trip home Sunday evening.

Snow swung below Mich over night.  Too bad for the people trying to leave via the airports.  Here Delta cancelled over 200 flights this morning.  Hopefully the airports will get cleared up so that those who have already traveled will have an easy trip home Sunday evening.

281 of 2,356 (1,022 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2010 3:07:34 PM
(0)
Expert

Looks like many in the South (Texas doesn't consider itself part of that) will be getting a rare white Christmas.  Guess they're just thrilled! Smiley Surprised  I don't understand why some enjoy snow. Smiley Sad

Freeze tonight, but in the 40's tomorrow night.

Be careful driving in that snow, Uni!

Looks like many in the South (Texas doesn't consider itself part of that) will be getting a rare white Christmas.  Guess they're just thrilled! Smiley Surprised  I don't understand why some enjoy snow. Smiley Sad

Freeze tonight, but in the 40's tomorrow night.

Be careful driving in that snow, Uni!

282 of 2,356 (1,011 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 26, 2010 5:54:39 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

26 right now in Frisco, just north of Dallas.  SUPPOSED? to get up to mid 40's today, but not holding my breath. Never made it out of the 30s yesterday.

26 right now in Frisco, just north of Dallas.  SUPPOSED? to get up to mid 40's today, but not holding my breath. Never made it out of the 30s yesterday.

283 of 2,356 (987 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 26, 2010 6:22:25 AM
(0)
Professor

We picked up about 5 inches of "lake effect" snow last night with another inch possible this morning. I was planning a nice quiet day on the couch doing nothing but watching football, now it looks like I'll be out shoveling snow. :smileymad:

They're saying a big storm is possible for the New Year's holiday and into next weekend, it's supposed to be near 50 with rain here on Friday, stay tuned. :smileywink:

We picked up about 5 inches of "lake effect" snow last night with another inch possible this morning. I was planning a nice quiet day on the couch doing nothing but watching football, now it looks like I'll be out shoveling snow. :smileymad:

They're saying a big storm is possible for the New Year's holiday and into next weekend, it's supposed to be near 50 with rain here on Friday, stay tuned. :smileywink:

284 of 2,356 (978 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 26, 2010 6:01:59 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Its COLD!!!!!!Smiley Surprised

Its COLD!!!!!!Smiley Surprised

285 of 2,356 (952 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2010 2:33:29 AM
(0)
Expert

Around 29˚ on the 26th and was only 34 at 11A!

28˚ now and it only took a 5 min. drive from 45˚ in the garage.  I HATE WINTER!  Smiley Mad

Looks REALLY bad back East!

Around 29˚ on the 26th and was only 34 at 11A!

28˚ now and it only took a 5 min. drive from 45˚ in the garage.  I HATE WINTER!  Smiley Mad

Looks REALLY bad back East!

286 of 2,356 (942 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2010 5:29:36 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

jfw wrote:

I think that "rain and about 50" on New Years Eve is what is forecast everywhere.  Same in Indy.  My dad in North Carolina said that is what his forecast is also.   They got 2" of snow and highs in the 30's.  He is only 9 miles from the SC border.  We missed out on this past Friday night's snow - got about 2" ourselves.  The western part of Indiana got triple that.

jfw wrote:

I think that "rain and about 50" on New Years Eve is what is forecast everywhere.  Same in Indy.  My dad in North Carolina said that is what his forecast is also.   They got 2" of snow and highs in the 30's.  He is only 9 miles from the SC border.  We missed out on this past Friday night's snow - got about 2" ourselves.  The western part of Indiana got triple that.

287 of 2,356 (929 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2010 4:42:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Some east coast states have been forecasted with a warming trend.  That would not be good if they do get a warm up during the day and then freezing temps over night.  Snow melts and then freezes.

Some east coast states have been forecasted with a warming trend.  That would not be good if they do get a warm up during the day and then freezing temps over night.  Snow melts and then freezes.

288 of 2,356 (914 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2010 4:51:37 PM
(0)
Expert

I saw on the news they were getting thunder during the snow!  What?  For us snow-challenged folk. Smiley Wink

I heard they are NOT planning on cancelling New Year's Eve though!  Go, NYC!

I saw on the news they were getting thunder during the snow!  What?  For us snow-challenged folk. Smiley Wink

289 of 2,356 (909 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2010 5:07:35 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I have heard snow thunder lots of times.  Usually happens during snow storms.  Every now and then see some snow lightning.

I have heard snow thunder lots of times.  Usually happens during snow storms.  Every now and then see some snow lightning.

290 of 2,356 (901 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2010 5:20:55 PM
(0)
Expert

Smiley Surprised

Smiley Surprised

291 of 2,356 (996 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2010 5:36:02 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

That is the only ting that I thought was kind of cool to see and hear during a snow storm.  Shoveling snow and then suddenly, a clap of thunder, and the flash of lightning.  But the lightning is really rare.

That is the only ting that I thought was kind of cool to see and hear during a snow storm.  Shoveling snow and then suddenly, a clap of thunder, and the flash of lightning.  But the lightning is really rare.

292 of 2,356 (989 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2010 8:37:06 PM
(0)
Expert

What a difference a day makes!  50's today, 40's tonight; rain coming but back up in the high 60's to low 70's.

What a difference a day makes!  50's today, 40's tonight; rain coming but back up in the high 60's to low 70's.

293 of 2,356 (977 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2010 12:57:53 AM
(0)
Master

Yeah, we're also headed for a warm up at the end of this week. Seems like we haven't seen temps in the 50's for a month and a half. New Year's Eve/Day should be a real mud hole with the rain and melting snow. Smiley Sad

Thursday looks weird - "Ice Pellets"??? I've heard of sleet, hail, freezing rain but not necessarily ice pellets. Do you use salt pellets to melt ice pellets? Smiley Surprised

Well looked it up and it turns out ice pellets are the same as sleet. You would think weatherunderground.com would use the same weather terms as the USNWS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_pellets

Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday
Partly Cloudy
27° F | 20° F
Partly Cloudy
32° F | 25° F
Ice Pellets
40° F | 36° F
Chance of Rain
49° F | 40° F
Rain Showers
52° F | 27° F
Partly Cloudy Partly Cloudy Ice Pellets
30% chance of precipitation
Chance of Rain
Rain Showers
70% chance of precipitation
Uniblurb3

Yeah, we're also headed for a warm up at the end of this week. Seems like we haven't seen temps in the 50's for a month and a half. New Year's Eve/Day should be a real mud hole with the rain and melting snow. Smiley Sad

Thursday looks weird - "Ice Pellets"??? I've heard of sleet, hail, freezing rain but not necessarily ice pellets. Do you use salt pellets to melt ice pellets? Smiley Surprised

Well looked it up and it turns out ice pellets are the same as sleet. You would think weatherunderground.com would use the same weather terms as the USNWS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_pellets

Partly Cloudy
27° F | 20° F
Partly Cloudy
32° F | 25° F
Ice Pellets
40° F | 36° F
Chance of Rain
49° F | 40° F
Rain Showers
52° F | 27° F
Partly Cloudy Partly Cloudy Ice Pellets
Chance of Rain
Rain Showers
70% chance of precipitation
Uniblurb3

294 of 2,356 (962 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2010 1:20:15 AM
(0)
Expert

Maybe it's a new, politically-correct term for sleet?  Smiley Surprised

Warmer with rain, but I'll take it!

Thunderstorm
61° F | 54° F
Thunderstorm
67° F | 56° F
Thunderstorm
72° F | 61° F
Chance of a Thunderstorm
72° F | 47° F
Partly Cloudy
59° F | 40° F
T-storms
20% chance of precipitation
T-storms
80% chance of precipitation
T-storms
Chance of T-storms
Partly Cloudy

Maybe it's a new, politically-correct term for sleet?  Smiley Surprised

Warmer with rain, but I'll take it!

Thunderstorm
61° F | 54° F
Thunderstorm
67° F | 56° F
Thunderstorm
72° F | 61° F
Chance of a Thunderstorm
72° F | 47° F
Partly Cloudy
59° F | 40° F
T-storms
T-storms
80% chance of precipitation
T-storms
Chance of T-storms
Partly Cloudy

295 of 2,356 (956 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2010 1:39:58 AM
(0)
Master

You could be right Spd. "Sleet" always did seem for like a strange term for little tiny balls of ice. Smiley Wink

Uniblurb3

You could be right Spd. "Sleet" always did seem for like a strange term for little tiny balls of ice. Smiley Wink

Uniblurb3

296 of 2,356 (948 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2010 6:45:35 AM
(0)
Master

great pics

imho

great pics

imho

297 of 2,356 (929 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2010 6:46:11 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

spd2demun wrote:

Usually happens when there is a tremendous snow or sleet storm going on.  You don't normally see it when it is snowing the light, fluffy stuff but you see it often during heavy snow storms when the snow is heavy and wet and / or mixing with sleet.  It has to do with warm air aloft, mixing with the colder air mass.

spd2demun wrote:

Usually happens when there is a tremendous snow or sleet storm going on.  You don't normally see it when it is snowing the light, fluffy stuff but you see it often during heavy snow storms when the snow is heavy and wet and / or mixing with sleet.  It has to do with warm air aloft, mixing with the colder air mass.

298 of 2,356 (928 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2010 6:50:34 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

RCSMG wrote:

The lightning is always there, you just may not always be able to see it - as there is thick, snow laden clouds between the ground and where the cloud to cloud lightning is.  If it is nighttime, you have a much better chance of seeing the flash.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thundersnow

RCSMG wrote:

The lightning is always there, you just may not always be able to see it - as there is thick, snow laden clouds between the ground and where the cloud to cloud lightning is.  If it is nighttime, you have a much better chance of seeing the flash.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thundersnow

299 of 2,356 (918 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2010 6:51:58 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Dec 28, 2010 at 6:52:28 AM

Ice Pellets = Sleet.  Don't know why they just don't pick one term.  I had thought that the terms meant something slightly different but they are one in the same, AFAIK.

Ice Pellets = Sleet.  Don't know why they just don't pick one term.  I had thought that the terms meant something slightly different but they are one in the same, AFAIK.

[ Edited ]
300 of 2,356 (916 Views)