Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Let's Talk About the Weather - The New Temp Thread

ACE - Master

Let's Talk About the Weather - The New Temp Thread

Another "cool" front blew through Indy last night with a reinforcing short of cool air.  Lots of wind and temps today in the 60's.  Maybe some light frost tomorrow.  We are still way down in the rainfall department but we got half an inch Wed. afternoon and that was as much as we received in all of August! 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 1 of 2,356
Professor

Re: Let's Talk About the Weather - The New Temp Thread

Had to turn the heat on this morning, it was a little chilly in the house, only 40 degrees outside. Read the wildfires in Minnesota are burning out of control and cover 100k acres, at least the smoke has cleared out around here.

Message 1396 of 2,356
Master

Cold/damp here and only 50. Will also have to turn on some heat (fire up the wood stove) tonight as the temps drop below 40. Seemed kind of cool in the house and of course my wife left the bedroom window open. Go through this every season change and nothing like letting the cool/cold air in while I'm trying to heat/keep the house warm.

Saw on the news last night where MN was getting some sleet/snow and wondered if that was helping put out one of the largest forest fires on record in MN out (160 sq mi.)? According to this article the fire has paused and the winds have died down.

What a shame the fire is in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness. I had good friends in my wildlife management classes who went there every year and brought back photos of one of the most beautiful areas/forests in the US. Talk about vast and roughing it.

From the link:

Boundary Waters Canoe Area - BWCA

Located in Northeastern Minnesota, the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (BWCA) has a ~million acres of wilderness, with over 1,000 pristine lakes and streams, and over 1500 miles of canoe routes. 

It is considered by some as the most beautiful wilderness they have ever seen.  National Geographic named it one of 50 Destinations of a Lifetime.  In other words, a vacation you do not want to miss.

The BWCA is a true wilderness experience, without motors, no electricity, no telephone lines, and no roads to the inner lakes.

Uniblurb3

If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering someone else's dog around.

Need help? Contact AT&T at 800-288-2020.
Message 1397 of 2,356
Professor

That area up there has been abnormally dry this summer so not surprising that fires would break out. Here's the latest seasonal drought outlook through the end of the year.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/expert_assessment/season_drought.gif

Message 1398 of 2,356
Master

Yeah jfw, saw that too, and informative drought link. In reading the BWCA info they couldn't even canoe up there in many of the streams, and go from lake to lake, since they were dried up from the drought. Smiley Sad

Uniblurb3

If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering someone else's dog around.

Message 1399 of 2,356
Expert

At this point, I'll take snow or anything containing water!  The West Houston wildfire was supposedly 100% contained yesterday, but the local newscast said it's only 90%.  Luckily, that one was in a reservoir contained-area.

I saw a story about how the Feds delayed sending the fire planes to TX ahead of time when asked for...what a surprise!  If it were the East Coast...

Back to the 100s, but predicting rain, especially for Sunday.  I think I'll wash the car tomorrow, LOL!

Message 1400 of 2,356
Expert

Prayers have gone up for the areas where there are fires and no or very little water.  Furnace came on last night and earlier today.Smiley Sad

Message 1401 of 2,356
Expert

We need all the help we can get here!  And the West Houston fire appears to have been started by an ex-Houston firefighter!  A disgruntled one, I might add.

A bit chilly yesterday morning, but still shorts weather; once the sun comes up, the heat turns on.

edit spelling

Message 1402 of 2,356
Master

Hate to say it but you guys need a mild Hurricane to put out all those fires and receive at least some rain. They did a story on the drought/fires in Texas on the NBC national news tonight and the predictions aren't good. Smiley Sad

That firefighter was indeed a twisted dude! When I studied forestry many moons ago they did a study and found 50% of the forest fires in the South (Eastern US) were started by forest fire fighters needing work! Glad things have drastically changed.

Yesterday I had to start out wearing jeans, a flannel shirt and a hooded sweatshirt since it was only 52. Planted 4 new large potted knock-out rose bushes (sale, $10/ea) and was soon down to a T-shirt and jeans when the sun started shining while working. Wow, did those roses smell good when I was down near them putting them in the ground!

Uniblurb3

Message 1403 of 2,356
Expert

We need lots of rain; just so sad about all the dead trees, cannot get over it. Smiley Sad

They've been playing Backdraft over and over, and that was something that crossed my mind--inside job. 

Smoking in parks is now banned while the drought is on--HOW they will enforce that is beyond me!  And what about people who still flick them out of car windows?  Common sense is long gone. Smiley Sad

We've had a burn ban in the unincorporated areas for a while now.  All the BBQ grills are bagged and covered in parks.

KO Roses!  They cannot be killed!  I didn't realize y'all could grow them up there?  Do they last through the winter and bloom like in Houston?

Hoping that 40% rain materializes on Sunday!

Message 1404 of 2,356
Expert

It's raining in Houston!  Noticed it was getting dark, then heard thunder.  Well, that was quick, now it stopped. Smiley Sad

IF the thunder starts back up, I'll need to go check on my charge (dog) as she is terrified of thunder!

Message 1405 of 2,356
Master

spd2demun wrote:

KO Roses!  They cannot be killed!  I didn't realize y'all could grow them up there?  Do they last through the winter and bloom like in Houston?

Yeah, all kinds/varieties of roses grow great up here and even live (go dormant) through the winter. I grew up right down the street from the "Park of Roses" you can see in the link below. I've also gone to some friend's weddings there and what a beautiful place with 11,500 roses.

http://www.parkofroses.org/

Actually I only have 2 other rose bushes so thought I'd give 4 more a try. Had coupons from the local plant store from all the money I spent there in the Spring. I will say they are kind of hard to grow in a wooded setting and have to plant them in the sunniest part of the yard. Think rose plant diseases and insects are a lot more plentiful in the woods too.

They showed on our local news tonight where Texas is finally getting some rain. Don't need to tell you guys but they said it is/was the hottest summer ever on record for all states in the US. Smiley Sad

Uniblurb3

Message 1406 of 2,356
Expert

Looks like it's real purty there.  We've never tried other roses because I don't have the patience.  The KOs are everywhere down here, and seem to like the heat.

Yes, the rain kept misting on and off all night; my wipers got a workout!

I'll check the rain gauge tomorrow, though I only expect to see vapor droplets. Smiley Sad  But, we'll gladly take what we can get!

Message 1407 of 2,356
Expert

Very heavy rain for past 30 min.!!!!!!
Message 1408 of 2,356
Employee

Spd all we hear from Texas is we don't need no help from the Feds or Government so somebody may have had to swallow words and allow the Feds help.
Hope you keep getting showers on a regular basis.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 1409 of 2,356
Expert

We don't need their help (and it's always a day late and a dollar short IF it does arrive!).  And that's what happened this time; the plane was requested well in advance and the Fed bureaucracy took their time, as usual.  But since we're part of the Union and pay our taxes, we deserve help when we ask for it.

BTW, our rumored ex-firefighter that *allegedly* started the West Houston fire(s) is now said to never have been a firefighter.  A former roomie said he impersonated an Army soldier on his FB page; sounds like this is his career, to get attention.

Still cloudy and expecting more rain.

Message 1410 of 2,356
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support