Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Let's Talk About the Weather - The New Temp Thread

ACE - Master

Let's Talk About the Weather - The New Temp Thread

Another "cool" front blew through Indy last night with a reinforcing short of cool air.  Lots of wind and temps today in the 60's.  Maybe some light frost tomorrow.  We are still way down in the rainfall department but we got half an inch Wed. afternoon and that was as much as we received in all of August! 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 1 of 2,356
Expert

Re: Let's Talk About the Weather - The New Temp Thread

Would gladly channel some your way if possible!  It's stopped for now and sun is out...now comes the runoff!  Still more ahead the next several days.

CJ, I dunno if the squirrel is looking for dry land, but there's a covered patio with funiture he could use.  Odd he was alone, they usually travel in (married?) pairs. 

Message 2251 of 2,356
Expert

We're in for more rain...

houweather.jpg

Message 2252 of 2,356
ACE - Master

The forecasters, as usual have backtracked from their "likely" forecasts to 30-40% chances.  That sucks!  The longest dry spell in 104 years!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2253 of 2,356
Professor

Not surprising, we've been teased with the prospects of rain for quite some time that never materialized. Looking at the current radar, there's a complex of storms crossing the Mississippi River that seem to be slowly heading this way, we have a 40% chance of some scattered storms after 1 pm, no drought busters forecast but brief heavy downpours possible, not holding my breath. Upper 90's with high humidity forecast for the first half of the week. My son's getting married next weekend and fingers crossed that it's not 90+ degrees that day or those black tuxes will be a killer. :smileysad:

Message 2254 of 2,356
Master

Congrats on your son getting married jfw. I remember many moons ago getting married outside in mid-August and know exactly what you mean about how hot those tuxes can be. Luckily there was lots of shade, with nearby water, when we were married at Mirror Lake on the OSU campus.

I sure hope the rain they're calling for materializes and looks like a pretty good chance. But wow is it going to be hot and sticky with temps in the 90's along with high humidity. Can live with that for some much needed rain.

Friday Saturday Sunday Monday Tuesday
Chance of a Thunderstorm
79° F | 64° F
Chance of a Thunderstorm
90° F | 70° F
Chance of a Thunderstorm
91° F | 68° F
Chance of a Thunderstorm
88° F | 70° F
Partly Cloudy
97° F | 73° F
Chance of T-storms
50% chance of precipitation
Chance of T-storms
Chance of T-storms
Chance of T-storms
20% chance of precipitation
Partly Cloudy

They said on the news the other day that in the past 12 months it has been hotter in the US than any other 12-month period ever since accurate temps/weather started being recorded in 1880's.

Hey Spd, that must be an urban squirrel thing if they travel in pairs. They sure don't do that here in the woods but there's so many of them it's hard to tell. I've noticed a real explosion in the Chipmunk population around here and they must breed profusely in the hot/dry weather. Guess it would make sense since their tunnels/dens don't get drowned out with lots of rain. Just hope they don't all start feasting on my Jeeps once we get into cold temps and their food supply dries up.

Uniblurb3

If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering someone else's dog around.

Need help? Contact AT&T at 800-288-2020.
Message 2255 of 2,356
Expert

Rain just started up really heavy again.  And apparently there is flooding now big time in NW Houston. Smiley Sad

Always see them in pairs here, and thought that was normal, LOL!  Remember the line in the movie, Office Space?  Milton talks about getting his window view taken away, and watching squirrels who he thought we married. Smiley Very Happy  Haven't seen him today on the back porch, but trash can is out front right now.

Message 2256 of 2,356

@spd2demun wrote:

Rain just started up really heavy again.  And apparently there is flooding now big time in NW Houston. Smiley Sad

Always see them in pairs here, and thought that was normal, LOL!  Remember the line in the movie, Office Space?  Milton talks about getting his window view taken away, and watching squirrels who he thought we married. Smiley Very Happy  Haven't seen him today on the back porch, but trash can is out front right now.

Maybe you live in a dangerous neighborhood, always need a buddy squirrel to watch your back. Does somebody in your neighborhood have a lot of cats? Smiley Surprised

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

Message 2257 of 2,356
ACE - Expert

I usually see squirrels alone.  Occaisonally they'll gang up around the bird feeder.  Of course, this isn't exactly an urban area.

Message 2258 of 2,356
Master

LOL CJ! Smiley Very Happy

Yeah, I too have squirrels congregate under my black oil seed feeder. I don't put seed on the ground so they're lucky I have some picky birds who spit whole sunflower seeds on the ground until they find just the right one.

So much for the rain/thunderstorms which were supposed to start at noon and we got zilch! Only constant winds which dried out everything even worse. That will teach me to depend on the weather guessers and not water all my outside plants.

Guess if you can't get the forecast right just say it might rain everyday and then sometime it's bound to rain.

Saturday Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday
Thunderstorm
84° F | 68° F
Thunderstorm
91° F | 70° F
Chance of a Thunderstorm
93° F | 70° F
Chance of a Thunderstorm
97° F | 73° F
Chance of a Thunderstorm
95° F | 73° F
T-storms
60% chance of precipitation
T-storms
60% chance of precipitation
Chance of T-storms
Chance of T-storms
Chance of T-storms
40% chance of precipitation

Uniblurb3

If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering someone else's dog around.

Message 2259 of 2,356
Expert

You guys trying to make me sound crazy?  All our cats are indoor only, very few other cats outside.  It's not just our yard where they travel in groups of 2 or more, but have seen the same in other yards.  Maybe it's all the oak trees with lots of acorns that draws them?  They're always playing chase up and through the trees, and on the ground.

Rain stopped for several hours now, but more is supposedly on the way.

Message 2260 of 2,356
Highlighted
Master

Just kidding Spd and as you know CJ is real good about twisting things around/throwing out funny sarcastic barbs. I know your cats are indoors cats. Smiley Wink

At last we're finally getting some relief with a steady rain going on here. About time, hope it rains all weekend, and we'll have to see if it helps with the drought. But it may be too late for a lot of the crops like corn and soybeans which are stunted/dieing.

Uniblurb3

Message 2261 of 2,356
Expert

I'm going to have to investigate further about squirrel behavior in Houston, LOL!

It started up really hard about an hour ago, now sun is out.  Glad you're getting some of OUR rain up there, Uni!

Message 2262 of 2,356

@spd2demun wrote:

You guys trying to make me sound crazy?  All our cats are indoor only, very few other cats outside.  It's not just our yard where they travel in groups of 2 or more, but have seen the same in other yards.  Maybe it's all the oak trees with lots of acorns that draws them?  They're always playing chase up and through the trees, and on the ground.

Rain stopped for several hours now, but more is supposedly on the way.

Don't woory Spd, crazy starts at ten cats, so all those rumors are totally without merit. Smiley Wink

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

Message 2263 of 2,356
Expert

Supposedly it's due to problems with the underground utilities here, but it's always a fix on a pole.  They keep the trees cleared off the lines (no poles in our subdivsion), so I suspect old equipment or line fuses tripping.  The fact that most people are gone during the day when it happens is probably why the power company doesn't think it's an issue!  Gotta get a whole-home surge protector installed because things are getting worse!

Sun is still shining bright; that distant thunder never brought more rain (yet).

@Escapee wrote:

Spd that's what happens when the general consensus is less govern the better. Sometimes you reach the point government has to make some big business do the right thing. We had some ice storms a few years ago that shut down power over wide areas. The Utilities made all power companies clear out right of ways. Now when we have a storm in summer or winter the outages are very small and usually from a whole tree that fell. With the cleared right of way they could get to the one damaged span instead of having to clear the right of way with several spans damaged. The power companies were suppose to be doing this all the time but they had gotten slack and were saving money.

Any way the cold front has moved in with a thunderstorm and the temp has dropped from around 100 to 80. Will have to wear my long johns tomorrow with temps in the mid 80s.

Message 2264 of 2,356
Expert

LOL, well you know I'm close to crazy in THAT area! Smiley Wink

@Computer-Joe wrote:

@spd2demun wrote:

Don't woory Spd, crazy starts at ten cats, so all those rumors are totally without merit. Smiley Wink

Message 2265 of 2,356
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support